2018 CAAA character development challenge! // open!

Are you a writer or a poet? Come and share your creations with us, or discuss writing techniques with others
Forum rules
Please only post your own original work, do not post poetry or stories which were written by someone else.

2018 CAAA character development challenge! // open!

Postby weegeestar5 » Wed Jan 03, 2018 7:55 am

this is all p much paraphrased from the one last year tbh
since wes is taking a break, i thought id take charge of the caaa development challenge 2018! [obvi i discussed it with the other caaa mods beforehand :p]

the CAAA is a club where people just love ocs!
a lot of people struggle to develop all of their ocs - some because they don't have the time or energy, and some because they just have 10000000 ocs and developing them all can be tiring. the caaa challenge aims to give prompts and goals for users in order to give them some motivation to develop their ocs! after all, it's easier to develop ocs when you have set goals in mind, right?

if you participated last year, you'll notice that the challenges are the same as last year! I don't know how many people completed their challenges [I didn't, that's for sure], especially since the thread died out a bit ;v;
the goal is to finish these challenges by December 31st 2017! however, if you're like me and have nearly 600 ocs [I wish I was joking] this will be a lot harder. but hey, its called a challenge :p

there will be no raffle this year [I don't know if it was set up last year honestly? I wasn't in charge of it] so the incentive is just... purely the fact your ocs will be developed! and have more art! and visible, quantifiable goals to complete, which is always neat [there MIGHT be one set up in December, but i have no clue honestly! me and the caaa mods will have to discuss it]

because of that, obviously you wont have to provide proof of ocs you have developed over the course of the year, so if you're anxious about that, please don't worry! [if we do decide in December to hold some form of raffle, then obviously to be eligible you would have to provide proof!]

and because there's a possibility of some raffles in December [again, nothing set in stone or anything ;v;] there'll be tiers so that its more fair for those who have more ocs to develop haha

you can discuss everything about it here; be free to post updates, crying bc u bought yet another oc to develop. we've all been there, questions, tips, etc. !!

things to note:
  • one thing wes and sola did is that they planned to sell/trade/otherwise get rid of characters they did not complete the challenge for - as an incentive for yourself, perhaps this is a goal you would like to set up! this is not required, though!
  • there is the potential for some form of raffle in December - however, I just don't know! I don't particularly have much for a raffle at the moment, but perhaps I and the other mods will get some things for the raffle throughout the year. however, please do not get mad if there is no raffle! i honestly don't know at the moment ;v;

rules for the thread:
  • ofc you can post abt your progress of each task !! please don't double post or just post after each and every one, to stop the thread from getting cluttered ;v;
  • link stories instead of posting them fully here! ofc you can ask for critique :'D
  • please put only 5-6 images in each post! [this thread will likely not move quickly; so we don't want to drown it with images haha]

rules for the challenge:

• all writing must be new or revised. check the FAQ for more information!
  • all art must be fully custom - no lineart colour ins, even if the lineart is your own one! [the exception to this is references, but the references should have extra information than just a colour in of the design!]
  • you can count pre-existing avatars/tags/etc. as completed if they are fully custom, but these will not earn raffle tickets! [i mean. if there is a raffle. idk]. stuff like the "snapshots" must be brand new tho!
  • post a warning if your art/story contains stuff which may not be viewed as cs appropriate! please keep in mind that if you're not allowed to have it on cs, then by cs rules you're not allowed to link it, either!

heres the form! same as last year :p delete stuff in brackets! keep the codeword!
Code: Select all
[b]Username:[/b]
[b]How many characters do you own? [/b][and what tier does that place you in]
[b]What challenge(s) will you be attempting?[/b]
[b]Link to the thread, website, sta.sh, etc. where you will be keeping your progress:[/b]
[b]Any additional questions or information:[/b] [If you are recycling/counting old art pieces (ie, tags you already have ordered) or writing (that you do not intend to edit) PLEASE let us know here along with the count of HOW MANY PIECES you already have towards your goal. Please feel free to include any other information you feel is pertinent as well!]
[size=1]aaaaaaaaaaa[/size]

fonts from 1001fonts
Last edited by weegeestar5 on Wed Jan 03, 2018 9:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
weegeestar5

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

the challenges

Postby weegeestar5 » Wed Jan 03, 2018 9:00 am

"so what ARE the challenges" i hear u all yell
well here they are!
_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________
_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

"Character Keeper"
Objective: Must consolidate all characters and all art pieces with as much artist credit as known/possible onto one character storage platform (charahub, weebly, toyhou.se, sta.sh, CS forums, etc).

Example: all of your ocs must be on one character storage platform! [or. at least one. I'm not gonna stop you making multiple]. for example all of my ocs are on my TH with all of their art credited as much as i know, and same with my sta.sh! however if, for example, some of my ocs were on my th but not in my stash, and vice versa, that would not count! all of your ocs and their art need to be in one place at the very least to complete this challenge!

"Balancing the Books"
Objective: Determine and record what you spent on each character you own (not including additional art purchased) and any additional stipulations/rules about whether or not you may trade, sell, gift, edit, or breed them. If you care to take it a step beyond, record from whom you purchased each character as well.

Example: let's just say i paid a 2009 rare for character X and they had no rules attached, so i then recorded this. ["character x - paid 1 2009 rare - no rules given"]. then i'd have to do this for all of my ocs to complete this challenge !! if you have ocs designed by you, then this is technically already completed, but you wouldn't gain any [potential] raffle tickets bc... well you designed them; you didn't pay for them and i doubt you gave yourself rules haha

"Basic Bio"
Objective: Must write a short description of the intended use or development for each of your characters. These can be rough and choppy statements, but you must record at least an idea of what each of your characters is going to be like. No more "blank slates."

Example: i have an oc called Amelia! i decided to give her these basic traits:
-quiet, will stand up for herself, she could beat up detrimental tbh, looks cute but will actually fight u 1v1, honestly shes also probably a thief, comes from a rich background and steals anyway, doesn't consider consequences of her actions

"Personality Pro"
Objective: Must compose a full description of each of your character's personalities. This cannot be one sentence or a short list of words. It must be at least 1-2 paragraphs long and contain a detailed description of what they are actually like.

Example: lynt's really long personality. u don't have to write as much as his ofc, but yea that's just an example personality!

"Detailed Description"
Objective: Write a personality (1-2+ paragraphs) and a basic overview of background/history information (1-2+ paragraphs) for each of your characters. This should establish both what they are like and where they came from; what is unique about their story that makes them an interesting character? In order to earn this achievement, every single one of your characters must have a personality like the example above AND a history like the example below.

Example: i cant believe I'm linking my 2013 writing. actually soldier's one would probably have to be longer to count, but generally speaking history overviews should look like that!

"Short Scenario"
Objective: Must write a short story or song prompt for each character. You may create your own word limit for these, but your composition should be no shorter than 2-3 paragraphs. Each short scenario or song-based writing piece should recount a specific moment in your character's life.

Example: here, here and here! whilst these pieces were for the caaa Halloween event, their length & showing of my characters personality would be what is needed for the challenge!

"Sound Track"
Objective: Must create a short playlist for each and every one of your characters based on their appearance, personality, and/or life experiences. If you care to take it a step beyond, you could write a brief description of why you chose each song for the playlist. if you do not want to create an actual playlist, you can just link the songs somewhere! [ie on their page]

Example: my oc duveki has a playlist!

"Snapshot"
Objective: Draw or order a themed piece for each of your characters that is specific to your character (no generic poses like sitting or standing allowed) in some sort of setting or doing something that is distinctly characteristic of their personality. these do not necessarily need to be fullbody, but should show most of your characters design!

Example: these snapshot pieces of kyale and joey

"Tag, You're It"
Objective: Draw or order a small tag piece for each of your characters. [usually 150x150-300x300 pixels!]

Example: this tag i did of duveki!

"Fifty Faces"
Objective: Draw or order a 50x50 pixel [or non pixel] avatar for each of your characters. [these do not need to be fullbody!]

Example: this one i drew of aero last year!

"A Hundred Avatars"
Objective: Draw or order a 100x100 avatar (pixel or non) for each of your characters. these may be animated or non-animated, and do not need to be a fullbody!

Example: an example is this one of lynt by sixbane!

"Ready to Reference"
Objective: Draw or order a detailed reference sheet for each of your characters. these should have some form of information on them!

Example: an example is kids reference!
weegeestar5

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

tiers

Postby weegeestar5 » Wed Jan 03, 2018 9:06 am

I'm just gonna paste what wes wrote last year bc I'm too lazy for maths

Can't figure out your percentage? Take the number of completed characters and divide it by your total character amount.
    For example, 15 / 130 = .1153
    Move the decimal to the right two spaces. (If you've done 15 out of 130 characters, you've completed about 11.5% of the challenge)

PLEASE REMEMBER THAT THESE TICKETS WILL ONLY BE IF THERE IS A RAFFLE, THERE MAY NOT BE ONE!

Tier 1: 1-30 characters
    For each quest you complete for every single one of your 1-30 characters, you will receive 3 raffle tickets.
    You have the total possibility of earning 3 tickets per quest.

Tier 2: 31-100 characters
    For each quest you complete for 30% of your characters, you will receive 1 ticket.
    For each quest you complete for 60% of your characters, you will receive an additional ticket.
    For each quest you complete for 100% of your characters, you will receive a third ticket.
    You have the total possibility of earning 3 tickets per quest.

Tier 3: 101-199 characters
    For each quest you complete for 25% of your characters, you will receive 1 ticket.
    For each quest you complete for 50% of your characters, you will receive an additional ticket.
    For each quest you complete for 75% of your characters, you will receive a third ticket.
    For each quest you complete for 100% of your characters, you will receive a fourth ticket.
    You have the total possibility of earning 4 tickets per quest.

Tier 4: 200+ characters
    For each quest you complete for 20% of your characters, you will receive 1 ticket.
    For each quest you complete for 40% of your characters, you will receive an additional ticket.
    For each quest you complete for 60% of your characters, you will receive a third ticket.
    For each quest you complete for 80% of your characters, you will receive a fourth ticket.
    For each quest you complete for 100% of your characters, you will receive a fifth ticket.
    You have the total possibility of earning 5 tickets per quest.

if you have like, over 400 ocs just ask me about it, since there would probably be extra tickets for you at different points, or something along those lines [ie getting 2 tickets for 20% for example]
Last edited by weegeestar5 on Wed Jan 03, 2018 9:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
weegeestar5

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

helpers & resources!

Postby weegeestar5 » Wed Jan 03, 2018 9:21 am

[Art Trade Center] - there will be a center here for art trades for the challenge - so you can trade art/writing with one another to help you all finish your goals! thank you to ittam for hosting it again this year!

if you know of anything helpful - such as prompt generators, resources, etc. - please pm me/post here and I will include them in this post!

if you have a lot of creative energy & want to help people out, you can sign up to be a challenge helper! this will be a list of people who are okay with receiving pms from caaa members for help with the challenge!
    if you wanna help out, just pm me to let me know! be sure to let me know which aspects you're willing to help with! [names, art ideas, development ideas, etc.]

challenge helpers (PM me if you'd like to be one!)

weegeestar5 || PM me if you'd like help with: personality and history ideas, developing OC relationships and headcanons, all things ship-related! or just to ramble on abt ur ocs to me I love rambling on about ocs

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

prompt generators, resources, and tools:
    • Behind the Name - good for giving names that are relevant to your character's attributes! Thanks, Sunlitsecrets!

• Art Prompts - a site just for generating art prompts! Get scenery, situations, objects, and emotions suggested for your art pieces! Thanks, Sunlitsecrets!
Last edited by weegeestar5 on Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
weegeestar5

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

FAQ

Postby weegeestar5 » Wed Jan 03, 2018 9:33 am

FAQs

May I recycle old art/writing to count towards completing my goal?

Yes and no. If you have joined one of the writing challenges (for example, personalities) and already have a personality written for a character, you may count this personality as complete once you proofread and edit the old writing to fit the maturity of your current writing style.

If you have joined an art challenge where the goal is to get a reference, avatar, or tag for every single character you own, you may consider the characters who already meet this requirement 'complete.'

However, if you wish to order themed art for every character, you should start over. You can never have too many art pieces that fit your characters' personalities well! The same goes for the "short scenario" challenge; you may not include any pre-existing writing. You can never have too many song-based or random scenario stories for your OCs!

If you recycle old art in your challenge, you will NOT receive tickets towards the raffle for this percentage. For example, if you have 27 characters and you already have tags for 7 of your characters, you will not receive the ticket for the 25% you already have completed because you did not do it during 2017. Recycled writing ONLY counts if it has been revised/updated.

Solanum wrote:
    Lyonix ♡ wrote:
    Any additional questions or information:

Question: If I feel that some of the references I have for my characters don't need changed at all, do I have to make one for all of them? Or would I be able to just make one for those who i feel need one or don't have one yet?

You can reuse old references if you like, I think you just have to take that off of the end goal ^^
    So you wouldn't get a ticket at say 25% if they're being reused, but apart from that it's the same.

Do we need to include characters that we are trying to sell in our character count?

No, you do not need to draw or write for characters that you do not intend to keep. If you no longer bond with them, there's no reason to force yourself to write or draw for a character you have no muse for!

What if I don't finish by December 31, 2017?

No worries, you put forth a valiant effort. You may choose to consider getting rid of characters you didn't complete, or you can carry over the challenge to 2019 and continue to draw to draw or write for all of your characters!

May I do more than one quest? (For example, Character Keeper and Snapshot)

Of course you may! Just specify in your form that you'll be doing both. Or all of them.

What if I can't think of anything to draw/write about for one of my OCs?

If you have absolutely no muse and no longer wish to keep them, just sell them off/give them away and update your character count. HOWEVER, if you'd like to keep them and you're struggling to find muse, you can post on this thread to ask for help! If anyone's interested, we could make a Chatzy or a Discord or something to discuss the ongoing challenge! I'm sure there are members that would be more than willing to help you out and give you new ideas. As we already have a CAAA discord, perhaps a new channel specifically for the challenge may be made!

What if I buy new characters throughout the time that I'm doing the challenge?

If you intend to keep those characters, you must add them to your character count and develop them as well.

May I add my own spin to the challenge?

If you want to make the challenge harder for yourself, then you're welcome to revise/add onto the quests. As long as you're completing the base challenges that we've set up for you, you can be part of the event regardless of whatever else you add to your challenge. ^^

Can I join late/in the middle of the challenge?

Of course, but please be advised that you'll be a bit behind everyone else. If you'd like to challenge yourself to catch up, then go for it! Or, you can extend yourself to end one year after the date you started. (For example, everyone who signs up in January 2018 should end in December 2018. But if you sign up in March 2018, you can end in March 2019 if you didn't finish and you'd like to continue the challenge after the official CAAA one is concluded.)

May I add/drop quests to my challenge throughout the course of the year?

Yes, but please make note of this in a post on the thread or PM me to let me know.

Do I have to include co-owned characters or fursonas/ex-fursonas?

This will vary on an individual basis. It is totally up to you whether or not you would like to include fursonas, ex-fursonas, and co-owned characters into the challenge as they can be more difficult to develop. You may wish to make a note in your form that says whether or not you are counting these characters towards your challenge. Characters used in comics/books are included in this, too.

May my art and stories include more than one character in them?

Unless your characters are always seen together, all art pieces should be separate. This is to prevent generic poses like cuddling/fighting/etc.

If you plan to write a story with two (or more) characters and intend to use this story for all of the characters involved, you should multiply the number of characters by 2 to get your new minimum paragraph count. In the short scenario challenge, compositions should be a minimum of 2-3 paragraphs. So if you're writing for 2 characters, your new minimum is 4-6 paragraphs.

However, if you are just writing the story for 1 character's completion, you are welcome to use as many characters as you'd like in the story, sticking with the 2-3 paragraph minimum. You just can't count all of the included characters' stories as complete; only one!

Does the "no lineart colour ins, even if the lineart is your own" count for references as well?

No, reference linearts don't have to be custom, but they DO have to have extra information on them if/when you're using linearts. The reference should have some sort of unique, custom info (color palette, personality tidbits, multiple views, etc) but doesn't need to have all of those to count ^^

Will there be a raffle this year?

Maybe! I'm not too sure - I didn't host this last year and didn't really think of hosting it this year until very recently; so I don't have anything like prizes to give away! If I accumulate some prizes, then perhaps, but perhaps not! Even if there is no raffle, this should still give you a solid base for OC development!

Why isn't Wes hosting this?

I know that Wes is going through some not so great things at the moment, and since Wes allowed the mods to take over ownership for the newest thread [for now, at least!] and asked me to carry out most of the CAAA secret santa, I will assume that she perhaps needs a break from this, which is why I'm hosting it!

Any more questions? PM me and let me know! I will add them up here!
weegeestar5

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

reserved post

Postby weegeestar5 » Wed Jan 03, 2018 9:34 am

reserved!
Last edited by weegeestar5 on Wed Jan 03, 2018 9:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
weegeestar5

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

reserved post

Postby weegeestar5 » Wed Jan 03, 2018 9:36 am

reserved!
Last edited by weegeestar5 on Wed Jan 03, 2018 9:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
weegeestar5

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Re: 2018 CAAA character development challenge! / do not post

Postby weegeestar5 » Wed Jan 03, 2018 9:38 am

Username: weegeestar5
How many characters do you own? cries bc I need to count,
What challenge(s) will you be attempting? all of them!!!
Link to the thread, website, sta.sh, etc. where you will be keeping your progress:
Any additional questions or information: [If you are recycling/counting old art pieces (ie, tags you already have ordered) or writing (that you do not intend to edit) PLEASE let us know here along with the count of HOW MANY PIECES you already have towards your goal. Please feel free to include any other information you feel is pertinent as well!]
aaaaaaaaaaa

ImageImageImageImage
art by me, avatar by scolipede. //
check out my comic!
-x-x-x-
▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂

ᴛʜᴇʏ ᴄᴀɴ'ᴛ sᴇᴇ ᴍᴇ

-x-x-x-

and i want a moment to be real
wanna touch things i don't feel
want to hold on and feel i belong
and how can the world want me to change?
they're the ones that stay the same
they don't know me
cause i'm not here

-x-x-x-

ʙᴜᴛ ɪ'ᴍ sᴛɪʟʟ ʜᴇʀᴇ
▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂

▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂
▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂
weegeestar5

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Re: 2018 CAAA character development challenge! // open!

Postby >> Leafstorm515 » Wed Jan 03, 2018 9:57 am

- ahhh I'm going to try this, hopefully it helps me stay on track!
Username: >> Leafstorm515
How many characters do you own? counting sales? well over 200 lol if I'm counting my mains... like 30?
What challenge(s) will you be attempting? Character keeper, using my TH ( https://toyhou.se/Leafstorm515) as
the platform to store all my characters/their art.
Link to the thread, website, sta.sh, etc. where you will be keeping your progress:
https://toyhou.se/Leafstorm515 << It will all slowly fill into there! (plus the inevitable new stuff I'll get over the year rip)
Any additional questions or information: N/a! hopefully I did this right, it's my 1st time participating! I've already
started to move my characters from my stash to the TH though.

Progress:
- 1/9/18: moved all the left over adopts from my sale onto TH and into my sales folder! there were around 26 of them so
that was a good amount to get done.
aaaaaaaaaaa
Last edited by >> Leafstorm515 on Wed Jan 10, 2018 8:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

x
x

Leaf/Leafstorm ~ she/her
Character Designer

>> Leafstorm515

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

cuo's development challenge masterpost >:0

Postby 4kcuo » Wed Jan 03, 2018 9:59 am

form wrote:
    this sounds like just what i need tbh!!
    Username: 4kcuo
    How many characters do you own? 15 - Tier 1
    What challenge(s) will you be attempting? all of them except character keeper! i'm also challenging myself to accrue 30 characters i am interested in developing by the end of the year.
    Link to the thread, website, sta.sh, etc. where you will be keeping your progress: my toyhou.se!
    Any additional questions or information: can i edit this post with my progress as well as post updates every now and then?
    aaaaaaaaaaa

_____________________________________________________________________________________

CUO'S CHALLENGE PROGRESS
# of characters: 16/30
1bo/2quixi/3qijing/4marco/5asma/6cicero/7circe/8cyprien/9giuseppe/10zusa/11grayson/12beaus/13camillo/14ferio/15laertes/18aiden
CHALLENGES 1 & 2: organization
    "character keeper": must consolidate all characters and all art pieces with as much artist credit as known/possible onto one character storage platform (toyhou.se).
    "balancing the books": determine and record what you spent on each character you own (not including additional art purchased) and any additional stipulations/rules about whether or not you may trade, sell, gift, edit, or breed them.
CHALLENGES 3 - 7: writing and development skills
    "basic bio": must write a short description of the intended use or development for each of your characters.
    ....1✔/2✔/3✔/4✔/5✔/6✘/7✘/8✘/9✘/10✘/11✘/12✘/13✘/14✘/15✘/16✘

"personality pro": must compose a full description of each of your character's personalities (1-2 paragraphs long).
    ....1✘/2✘/3✘/4✘/5✘/6✘/7✘/8✘/9✘/10✘/11✘/12✘/13✘/14✘/15✘/16✘

"detailed description": write a personality and a basic overview of background/history information for each of your characters.

"short scenario": must write a short story or song prompt for each character.

"soundtrack": must create a short playlist for each of your characters based on their appearance/personality/life experiences.
CHALLENGES 8 - 12: artistic skills
    "snapshot": draw or order a themed piece for each of your characters that is specific to your character.

"tag, you're it": draw or order a small tag piece for each of your characters.
    ....1✘/2✘/3✘/4✘/5✔/6✘/7✘/8✘/9✘/10✘/11✘/12✘/13✘/14✘/15✘/16✘

"fifty faces": draw or order a 50x50 pixel [or non pixel] avatar for each of your characters.

"a hundred avatars": draw or order a 100x100 avatar (pixel or non) for each of your characters.

"ready to reference": draw or order a detailed reference sheet for each of your characters.

Last edited by 4kcuo on Tue Jan 16, 2018 6:58 am, edited 5 times in total.
with school in full swing i'm likely going to be mobile-only except on weekends, sorry guys!!

[ da ] [ tumblr ] [ toyhou.se ]
you can call me cuo if you'd like!
i love to draw!! & i adore art trades! hmu
4kcuo

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me