Dog Owner Chat v4

Share your real pet photos and stories, tell us about your fav species, promote wildlife causes, or discuss animal welfare

Re: Dog Owner Chat v4

Postby juicebox! » Tue Jan 02, 2018 3:26 pm

awakening souls. wrote:^ I'm pretty sure Pit Bull is an umbrella term for multiple breeds, American Bullies being included in that list. My apologies if I'm incorrect. No disrespect meant either!

people use it as an umbrella term but a pitbull is actually an american pitbull terrier. the correct umbrella term would be a bully breed and for a pitbull it would be ‘terrier’. its sort of like if you called all herding dogs [GSDs, border collies, corgis, aussies, etc] “border collies”. hope that makes sense!
juicebox!

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby BananaBean » Tue Jan 02, 2018 4:18 pm

this is Skylar! she's so energetic and lovable!
BananaBean

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby awakening souls. » Tue Jan 02, 2018 5:20 pm

people use it as an umbrella term but a pitbull is actually an american pitbull terrier. the correct umbrella term would be a bully breed and for a pitbull it would be ‘terrier’. its sort of like if you called all herding dogs [GSDs, border collies, corgis, aussies, etc] “border collies”. hope that makes sense!

But I believe the term "bully breed" covers all bully breeds (muscular body, broad head, short coat, etc...), whereas pit bull covers a select few of these bully breeds, such as the American Pit Bull Terrier, American Staffordshire Terrier, American Bully, etc... American Pit Bull Terrier or Pit Bull Terrier as most call the breed is the name for it, and though many people call the breed pit bulls, it isn't their technical name. "Pit Bull is a description for a type of dog, but American Pit Bull Terriers are a breed."

I guess some/a lot of people call their APBTs pit bulls, but that isn't the correct term.
awakening souls.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby maninkari » Tue Jan 02, 2018 6:58 pm

schistad; wrote:
    what year will people stop claiming their BBM/american bullies “pitbulls”.. it doesnt make you cooler, lol. i especially hate seeing BYB doing it.

Never. Good things don't happen to APBT people :,)

But I believe the term "bully breed" covers all bully breeds (muscular body, broad head, short coat, etc...), whereas pit bull covers a select few of these bully breeds, such as the American Pit Bull Terrier, American Staffordshire Terrier, American Bully, etc... American Pit Bull Terrier or Pit Bull Terrier as most call the breed is the name for it, and though many people call the breed pit bulls, it isn't their technical name. "Pit Bull is a description for a type of dog, but American Pit Bull Terriers are a breed."

I guess some/a lot of people call their APBTs pit bulls, but that isn't the correct term.

I very firmly believe the only dogs who should be called Pit Bulls are APBTs. BSL feeds off of mislabeling, when multiple breeds and mixes are Pit Bulls, bite statistics go woosh. Especially since a lot of bully and mix breed breeders aren't responsible and breed temperamentally unsound dogs.
heck
maninkari

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby taurus ; » Tue Jan 02, 2018 7:50 pm

@maninkari

Yeah, didn't want to get into that subject, but I strongly agree. The only pitbull is the APBT. It is the correct term believe it or not. Pitbulls, Staffies, and Am Bullies under one umbrella term and to be so different..makes no sense, but ok.
Last edited by taurus ; on Tue Jan 02, 2018 8:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
☆ kenya|she/her|istj|adult player
(simply vibing, that's it <3)
taurus ;

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby awakening souls. » Tue Jan 02, 2018 8:02 pm

^ Little harsh, halogen, but I'll take the info that has been given to me.
awakening souls.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby taurus ; » Tue Jan 02, 2018 8:28 pm

awakening souls. wrote:^ Little harsh, halogen, but I'll take the info that has been given to me.

Can you explain how that was in any way harsh? I pointed out that something didn't make sense to me and my opinion on said matter. That was just my 2 cents as someone who owns an actual APBT..

I think what's harsh is dogs being killed because of mislabeling.
Last edited by taurus ; on Tue Jan 02, 2018 8:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
☆ kenya|she/her|istj|adult player
(simply vibing, that's it <3)
taurus ;

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby awakening souls. » Tue Jan 02, 2018 8:44 pm

Just a joke, halogen. My apologies. Didn't mean to raise hair.

I see you edited your post. It's all good though, I was just trying to lighten the mood. My apologies.
awakening souls.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby ru. » Wed Jan 03, 2018 4:58 am

On a lighter note...😅

Did anyone else watch the AKC National Championship show last night?

I must say I am generally impressed with where some of the U.S. judges are taking a few of the breeds!
For instance, the Longhaired Dachshund, German Shepherd,
and even the Bulldog all looked so much better to me than the breed equivalents in some of the European shows I've seen recently.

The Longhaired Dachshund was insanely impressive! Much longer legs than any top show Dachshund I've ever seen! I was taken aback almost (in a good way!) And the dog scored in the top 3 for the entire group!
The German Shepherd was also beautiful! Barely a *slope at all with a strong gait and great hips and legs. It was an awesome breed example and scored in the top 3 for the herding group!

These are steps in the right direction and I'm excited to see if these changes start appearing breed-wide.

If longer legs can work in a Longhaired Dachshund than maybe it will help to influence the shorthair and wirehair as well! (:
I am already confident in the showline German Shepherd in the U.S.A. being well on its way to nation-wide change.

(*EDIT for typo)
Last edited by ru. on Wed Jan 03, 2018 5:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
| INFJ | Capricorn | Blood Type B | Coyote Dæmon | Neutral Good | Creative Type |
ru.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby eleutheromania » Wed Jan 03, 2018 5:19 am

ru. wrote: On a lighter note...😅

Did anyone else watch the AKC National Championship show last night?

I must say I am generally impressed with where some of the U.S. judges are taking a few of the breeds!
For instance, the Longhaired Dachshund, German Shepherd,
and even the Bulldog all looked so much better to me than the breed equivalents in some of the European shows I've seen recently.

The Longhaired Dachshund was insanely impressive! Much longer legs than any top show Dachshund I've ever seen! I was taken aback almost (in a good way!) And the dog scored in the top 3 for the entire group!
The German Shepherd was also beautiful! Barely a slow at all with a strong gait and great hips and legs. It was an awesome breed example and scored in the top 3 for the herding group!

These are steps in the right direction and I'm excited to see if these changes start appearing breed-wide.

If longer legs can work in a Longhaired Dachshund than maybe it will help to influence the shorthair and wirehair as well! (:
I am already confident in the showline German Shepherd in the U.S.A. being well on its way to nation-wide change.

The standards are the same in all coats. the only difference in judging is through the coats. longer legs are actually hard to come by, said dachshund could have been an import. most US breeders do not breed for longer legs. are you speaking of the standard or miniature? standards tend to have long legs than miniatures. also the minis have higher chances of IVDD due to the smaller size and longer over exaggerate backs being completely straight or sloped downward. most of the dachshunds i’ve seen bred in the us have short legs. the imports from other than england have the longer legs mostly.

i didn’t watch but i’d love to see pictures of the doxie.

i’m actually glad my boy doesn’t have the overexaggered back. his back isn’t bone straight but no extremely curved either. only bad thing is he has a broken coat, that happens when breeding a long x short. but it’s still pretty and easy to maintain. if you don’t know what a broken coat is here is a pic of loki.
eleutheromania

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me