❛ the lazy writers ❜ V2

Are you a writer or a poet? Come and share your creations with us, or discuss writing techniques with others
Forum rules
Please only post your own original work, do not post poetry or stories which were written by someone else.

Re: ❛ the lazy writers ❜ V2

Postby ThunderCedar » Tue Dec 26, 2017 5:35 pm

BucketORandomness wrote:Merpy Christmidays! Random challenge/prompt thing. Using word choice and tone in your writing, write a scene that gives this sentence emotion:

"You don't fight well with others," she said.

A quote out of context for the greater good. My creative writing teacher absolutely hates words like announced or cried or exclaimed as a substitute for said. His reasons are that the way the person should have said it should be evident by their actions before and after, the words they used, and the tone of the scene in general. I've personally taken it as a challenge in my writing and thought I'd share something that came up in conversation today >^.^<

I like that your teacher is that way actually. As tempting as it may be to use tags to show the emotion of a sentence, it can really make a dialogue more confusing rather than clarifying the emotion. It's been proven that "said" is the best go-to because it tends to fade in the background and go unnoticed, which is something you really want a dialogue tag to do. A dialogue tag's purpose is to define who is speaking, rather than to define their emotion. I understand using the occasional "asked" if it's a question, and "replied" / "responded" but I'd stop there mostly. If course exceptions can be made and some other tags should sometimes be used but this is the main rule according to pretty much all 5 sources I've visited for help writing dialogue.

I will try to write something on this, thanks for sharing!
ᔱ ᔲ ᔳ ᔴ
ThunderCedar

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Ranger of the North » Tue Dec 26, 2017 6:02 pm

Merry late Christmas, guys! :D I hope you had an amazing day, and if you didn't, may things soon get better!

WinterSerperior wrote:Ranger, from what you've seen do you like Lukas as a beginning antagonist? (Yes he and Autumn are mine too. I forgot to say that in PM bc i momentarily forgot about his parents xD) I mean he never shows up past the Prologue because I have no clue how to shoehorn him in with the rest of my plot and the plot of pokemans. So at this point he's a short ended plot point that basically serves no purpose and never really shows up again.
I can't actually remember enough to know, heh XD:
Is it still up on Wattpad, or did you remove the whole thing? o,o

TheSongOfTheStars wrote:Also! I finished the Advent Challenge, yay!
Far out, go you! :D *clapping*

winged-backpack wrote:(I might be taking a bit of a break from the thread for a while, I'll be lurking sometimes but I probably won't be posting for a while)
See ya later! BBS! C:

BucketORandomness wrote:Merpy Christmidays! Random challenge/prompt thing. Using word choice and tone in your writing, write a scene that gives this sentence emotion:

A quote out of context for the greater good. My creative writing teacher absolutely hates words like announced or cried or exclaimed as a substitute for said. His reasons are that the way the person should have said it should be evident by their actions before and after, the words they used, and the tone of the scene in general. I've personally taken it as a challenge in my writing and thought I'd share something that came up in conversation today >^.^<
I am doing this. Or I might. We'll see. But I hope I get to it XD
I'm in camp moderation-and-variety-is-key :p Too many 'said's and not enough exclamations/other words make a book ridiculously boring, but too many exclamations/other words and not enough 'said's makes my head hurt ;p Taking either to the extreme, in my opinion, shows a lack of experience cx
The world is quiet here.
Ranger of the North

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Yubel Fated » Wed Dec 27, 2017 5:41 pm

WinterSerperior wrote:Ranger, from what you've seen do you like Lukas as a beginning antagonist? (Yes he and Autumn are mine too. I forgot to say that in PM bc i momentarily forgot about his parents xD) I mean he never shows up past the Prologue because I have no clue how to shoehorn him in with the rest of my plot and the plot of pokemans. So at this point he's a short ended plot point that basically serves no purpose and never really shows up again.

I removed the whole thing. Its not deleted but just in my unpublished works list. Though you can still find it here I've been too lazy to take it down everywhere :T

To be honest.... I partially disagree and agree with your teacher. There can be a happy medium in my opinion. I agree with Song. Using said over and over does get repetitive and starts to sound a bit.... bad. But some people, like the writer for the Gregor the Overlander series, can use it well and go under the radar with using the word over and over.

I agree with your teacher in the aspect that it should be shown not told though.

I'm not your protagonist I'm not even my own
I don't know anything I don't even know what I don't know

And if you look outside you'll see disintegrating trees

╔══════════════╗
Name: Shadow
Profile: Judai/Jaden Yuki
Previous: Sora (Kingdom Hearts)
Call me anything though! So be creative!
~Credit~
╚══════════════╝

And if you look outside you'll see disintegrating trees

The artificial way the sunlight bounces off of
g̸̢̮̥̏͝l̷͔̘͍̑̍͝ì̶̛̠̖̒t̸̢̰̩̀̔̾̕c̴̨̘͌̄̈́̿h̶̡͙͔̫̆͜͝í̴̝̎͛̀n̵̡̘̰̈́̔ḡ̷̢̨̫̬̓̀ leaves

────────────────

Yubel Fated

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Ranger of the North » Thu Dec 28, 2017 8:52 pm

WinterSerperior wrote:
Ranger of the North wrote:
I removed the whole thing. Its not deleted but just in my unpublished works list. Though you can still find it here I've been too lazy to take it down everywhere :T
Cool! Ta c:
The world is quiet here.
Ranger of the North

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby TheSongOfTheStars » Sun Dec 31, 2017 7:18 am

:lol: Divebombs thread

Yoooo, where is eveyone? Mmm....I know! Question!

Code: Select all
[b]What are your writing goals for 2018?[/b]

If crediting me for art/character design then please use TheSongOfTheStars on Toyhou.se
or FiveSecondsToFly on deviantart for anywhere else
TheSongOfTheStars

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Ranger of the North » Sun Dec 31, 2017 11:17 am

What are your writing goals for 2018?
Stick! With! My! Project!!!!!!

watch me fail X'D
The world is quiet here.
Ranger of the North

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Arya22 » Sun Dec 31, 2017 11:20 am

Finish at least one story...
Bookworm | she/her | bi & demisexual
I am Arya22 and I'm a female who likes reading
Pm me to chat about anything at all!
Signature coded by Amburned. Thank you!!
Arya22

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Aliria » Sun Dec 31, 2017 11:26 am

Write. At all.
I'll send out my soul
To worlds more beautiful

Aliria

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby TheSongOfTheStars » Sun Dec 31, 2017 1:12 pm

Oops forgot to answer my own question.
My goals are to edit my Nano story and by the end of the year have it in a publishable format. Also to complete and edit a short story that I meant to be done with this month.
And thirdly I like to complete at least one of the 100 prompt challenges.

If crediting me for art/character design then please use TheSongOfTheStars on Toyhou.se
or FiveSecondsToFly on deviantart for anywhere else
TheSongOfTheStars

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby polysaccharide » Sun Dec 31, 2017 1:20 pm

what are your writing goals for 2018?