Fish Lovers 3.0 [new poll]

Share your real pet photos and stories, tell us about your fav species, promote wildlife causes, or discuss animal welfare

The members list is getting long. Should I change the way it's set up?

Yes, only list people's usernames
25%
Yes, only list people's usernames and the species of fish they own
60%
No, I like it the way it is
14%
Other (PM me with your idea)
2%

Total votes : 500

Re: Fish Lovers 3.0 [new poll]

Postby Alpen » Fri Dec 22, 2017 1:12 am

Crum wrote:Have you considered a single sump for all of the tanks? That way, you only need 1 filter and 1 heater. Depending on how many tanks you plan on getting you could probably make one out of a 10 gallon and have hoses going between all of them. Stick a heater with the correct wattage for the amount of gallons youre filtering into it.

Haven't thought of that! If I'm honest I have no idea how I would get that to work. You explain it really easy but I feel like there's something I'd do wrong hah. I will definitely look into it though, do you have any reputable blogs, youtube videos, or how-to guides?
Alpen

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Crum » Fri Dec 22, 2017 7:21 am

DIY fishkeeper on YouTube. He has tons of tutorials on making sumps.
Crum

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Alpen » Fri Dec 29, 2017 7:31 pm

Thank you! I've seen some of his videos before so I'll check it out.

Also wanted to post that petco is doing their dollar gallon sale! (It ends feb 3 here...not sure about anywhere else)
Alpen

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Alpen » Sun Dec 31, 2017 7:43 am

Decided not to go with the sump tank and will just use individual filters for right now
I spent way too much money last night but I got these set up
Top is cloudy bc of substrate I used for the live plants. Bottom one has fluval tabs in the sand. Going to work on a DIY system for co2 this week, right now I'm just dosing it with liquid co2.

Gotta work on the cord situation today too 8(
Alpen

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby fluffycat6 » Thu Jan 04, 2018 6:06 pm

Does anyone know a ground cover plant that doesn’t need co2? Like something that spreads on the bottom of the tank, like grass. I’ve had a few, but even when they survived they wouldn't spread.
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image please click!
fluffycat6

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby .cherry blossom. » Fri Jan 05, 2018 5:31 pm

Small problem- My guppy boy is gasping at the surface. I know this is a sign of poor oxygen, but the other two girls are acting fine. I topped up the water in my tank just in case, but he's still gasping away. Is there a reason for this?
.cherry blossom.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Lonin » Fri Jan 05, 2018 9:51 pm

fluffycat6 wrote:Does anyone know a ground cover plant that doesn’t need co2? Like something that spreads on the bottom of the tank, like grass. I’ve had a few, but even when they survived they wouldn't spread.

Carpeting plants don't tend to do well without co2 :c
You could try monte carlo, staurogyne repens or Dwarf sagittaria. There's also Cryptocoryne Parva but you'll need a lot of it because it grows really slow.

The Enchantress wrote:Small problem- My guppy boy is gasping at the surface. I know this is a sign of poor oxygen, but the other two girls are acting fine. I topped up the water in my tank just in case, but he's still gasping away. Is there a reason for this?

Have you tested ammonia/nitrite/nitrate? Are you running co2? What's the temperature?
Ammonia and nitrite can cause gasping, some fish are more sensitive or stressed than others which could be why he's showing signs first. Have you checked for signs of a disease?
You cannot eat love, nor buy a horse with it, nor warm your halls on a cold night
Lonin

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Hime » Fri Jan 05, 2018 10:30 pm

Lonin wrote:
fluffycat6 wrote:Does anyone know a ground cover plant that doesn’t need co2? Like something that spreads on the bottom of the tank, like grass. I’ve had a few, but even when they survived they wouldn't spread.

You could try monte carlo, staurogyne repens or Dwarf sagittaria. There's also Cryptocoryne Parva but you'll need a lot of it because it grows really slow.

Adding to that in my experience many plants growing near the bottom/that are very fine also need strong or at very least medium strong light to really thrive or even survive. So that is something to also consider when choosing plants.
Though I recently found a youtuber named Rachel O'leary, and she has some low-ish tec (no CO2, no to min fertilizers, does seem to have decent lights) tanks aquascaped with also some carpeting plants. Might want check out her chanel for some hints.

Lonin wrote:
The Enchantress wrote:Small problem- My guppy boy is gasping at the surface. I know this is a sign of poor oxygen, but the other two girls are acting fine. I topped up the water in my tank just in case, but he's still gasping away. Is there a reason for this?

Have you tested ammonia/nitrite/nitrate? Are you running co2? What's the temperature?
Ammonia and nitrite can cause gasping, some fish are more sensitive or stressed than others which could be why he's showing signs first. Have you checked for signs of a disease?

What Lonin said, those are likely causes. I'd also make sure there's water circulation on the surface. But as other fish are not showing symptoms, it might be weaker individual who caught gill fluke or has been previously exposed to ammonia/nitrite and the gills have weakened due that. Ammonia/nitrite poisoning can be sneaky in sense that even if it's treated and the fish seem to have recovered, they might have some internal damage which you can't see. Which then causes them to die seeminly suddenly sometime after the issue was actually present.
Can we pretend that the airplanes in the night sky are like shooting stars?
I could really use a wish right now, wish right now, wish right now...
Hime

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby .cherry blossom. » Sun Jan 07, 2018 5:44 pm

Thanks for the help, guys ^^
I cleaned up the tank a little and he's doing a lot better. Have a quick question- one of my guppy fry has black spots on his tail. He's about a week old and seems perfectly healthy. Just to make sure- this is normal, right? I've not seen guppy fry with coloring this early on, but I suppose with deep shades like black it could appear more early? Just as a side note, his mother has black markings on her tail as well.
.cherry blossom.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby fluffycat6 » Sun Jan 07, 2018 6:13 pm

Hime wrote:
Lonin wrote:

Adding to that in my experience many plants growing near the bottom/that are very fine also need strong or at very least medium strong light to really thrive or even survive. So that is something to also consider when choosing plants.
Though I recently found a youtuber named Rachel O'leary, and she has some low-ish tec (no CO2, no to min fertilizers, does seem to have decent lights) tanks aquascaped with also some carpeting plants. Might want check out her chanel for some hints.

Aw that sucks :c I think I’ll give it a try anyways though, and I’ll check out that channel. I use seachem flourish excel as a fertilizer but now that I’m looking at the bottle it says it can be used as a substitute for co2?

The Enchantress I’ve never had guppies but that reminds me of how my blue platies are born with stripes, but as they get older, they fade until there’s none left. Maybe it’s something like that? I wouldn’t worry about it though.
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image please click!
fluffycat6

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me