Snakes

Share your real pet photos and stories, tell us about your fav species, promote wildlife causes, or discuss animal welfare

Re: Snakes

Postby ~Tornado~ » Tue Dec 19, 2017 6:22 am

yellowlight wrote:Hey there, i have a baby Mexican black kingsnake.. he eats weekly a pinky mouse, but i don’t think he poops..i have never found a poop in his enclosure and I’ve had him for 3 months. What could be wrong ? What do i need to do?

What kind of bedding do you have?
My milk snake is on Aspen and I've had her for a few months and haven't found any signs of deification in her cage, but when my ball pythons poop it's very obvious on their paper towels
(Though I swear my milk snake does all of her pooping on us jeez)
Birds, Reptiles, and The Elder Scrolls, and my drawing tablet, basically are all I need in life.

Hi I'm Tornado, I like animals, drawing, and The Elder Scrolls. Ive been on this site for years and am pretty friendly so im always up to chat!

Selina ref guide
Best thing since sliced cheese.
Don't do Skooma kids
Kids these days
Angel on earth
Note: Finish Cp's request At with PD

~Tornado~

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby rose; » Tue Dec 19, 2017 7:02 am

yellowlight wrote:Hey there, i have a baby Mexican black kingsnake.. he eats weekly a pinky mouse, but i don’t think he poops..i have never found a poop in his enclosure and I’ve had him for 3 months. What could be wrong ? What do i need to do?

I would do a full substrate cleaning, which should be done monthly anyway. Remove and replace all bedding and clean and sanitize all decor. Sift through the old bedding to see if you've just been missing the poops.

Jones. wrote:Hi again, so I picked up my snake and put him in his tank etc. I was advised not to handle him for 24 hours which I haven't, but when I did go to pick him up he struck at me. He also doesn't stop rattling his tail and I'm worried I'm just scaring him. I want to handle him so that he won't become super aggressive but I'm a little nervous. Would you have any recommendations for what to do?

EDIT: I was due to feed him and he ate his mouse just fine, so I'm aware I shouldn't handle him for 48 hours which will also give him more time to settle in. But even so, do you have any tips on handling a baby corn? He's 4 months old at the moment.

You should not handle for about a week after getting your snake, not just 24 hours. This gives them a chance to more fully readjust and be more receptive to handling
rose;

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Jones. » Thu Dec 21, 2017 9:45 pm

Hi again, just a little update. Squirt is doing super well, he did his first poop yesterday and I've began handling him. He's a little nervous at first but he gets used to it quickly. Thank you all for your help!
Jones.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby yellowlight » Tue Dec 26, 2017 5:53 am

Thanks for all the replies.. I have been cleaning regularly and sifting through the aspen bedding all the time but cannot find a single poop. I've had many snakes in the past and this has never been a problem on aspen, but he is also very small so that could be the case. I will keep looking and hopefully it shows up soon!
yellowlight

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby audpaw » Sun Dec 31, 2017 6:00 am

In my opinion, snakes are extremely wonderful to have as a pet. :)
audpaw

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby grizzly bear » Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:44 am

hey there! i'm looking to purchase a western hognose and was wondering if anybody knows any reputable sites that sell them? any help would be much appreciated ;u;
sarah - infp - jw.org
grizzly bear

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Re:

Postby rose; » Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:55 am

grizzly bear wrote:
    hey there! i'm looking to purchase a western hognose and was wondering if anybody knows any reputable sites that sell them? any help would be much appreciated ;u;

I suggest finding a private breeder instead of some big name site or breeder. Usually you can find smaller private bredeers through Facebook or local expos since this is usually where they post their pages/sites. You'll typically get a better quality animal with more detailed records and better packagin that way. If you use Facebook I suggest joining hognose centric groups to get in contact with breeders, and there is a reptile FBI group where you can search a breeders name to find reviews of people
rose;

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby kivr & fireflii » Wed Jan 17, 2018 12:15 pm

Nothing wrong with big name breeders. You can still get a quality animal from a big name breeder/site with good packaging and detailed records. That has nothing to do with being a popular/well known/big name breeder. Just the same, you can find small hobby breeders that aren't very knowledgeable about a high quality vs poor quality, aren't as experienced with what packaging works best, don't keep good records, etc. While there are a few big name breeders that are known to be bad, I would say more people get scammed by or have bad experiences with the small, hobby "breeders."

I think it all really comes down to doing your research and knowing what you want out of your snake (ex. a pet? a future breeder?). No matter if you go big breeder or small hobby, just do your research. Look up reviews on them. See if anyone had extra good/bad experience about them. These are some feedback places I like to check when I don't recognize a breeder's name:

- Board of Inquiry at faunaclassifieds (requires account, but highly recommended)
- "FBI - Feedback and Inquiries for Reptiles" group on Facebook
- "good guy/bad guy exotic reviews" group on Facebook
- "herpetoculture feedback and inquiry" group on Facebook
- the reviews on a breeder's facebook business page
- ask around on facebook groups/forums dedicated or geared toward the snake species of your interest

But there can be good big name breeders (ex. for ball pythons, J. Kobylka) and bad big name breeders (ex. BHB... for real, stay away from him), and there can be good small hobby breeders and many, many bad ones. Research is key.
-fireflii
kivr centers | fireflii signs
kivr & fireflii

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby rose; » Wed Jan 17, 2018 12:31 pm

Ah, yes, that's very true. Didn't quite mean to make it come off as 'all big names are bad and all small names are good'. It was a quick reply while on break at work.
I more so meant the big companies that deal with a multitude of animals and imports (eg underground reptiles, if I'm remembering the name correctly) that are popular, big names even while their quality is lacking. Obviously a little research will indicate the reputation of the company pretty quickly but even so. I've always found smaller breeders more willing to communicate more with me on a personal level through messages or phone calls. And I prefer to support the smaller breeders, or big names that specialize in a species or two.
rose;

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Mortveil » Wed Jan 17, 2018 12:32 pm

@grizzly bear

Also I know you said you're looking for an online seller, but if you can get to an expo then I highly recommend it. You don't have to pay delivery costs and you get to see the animal in person, not just an image. You can also ask the breeder questions where they don't have the time to fully plan for answers (ie emails). There are always stalls selling western hognoses, with some dedicated to just them. I live in England so it is a bit of a pain getting to the reptile shows (we have only one really big one), but if you're living in America I know there are many available and much larger. You can also hold upon request and check for parasites such as mites.

I got my axanthic het toffeebelly western hognose there and he's perfect <3
Last edited by Mortveil on Wed Jan 17, 2018 12:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Do the macarena in a devil’s lair

Mortveil

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me