Do You Ride Horses? V.4

Share your real pet photos and stories, tell us about your fav species, promote wildlife causes, or discuss animal welfare

Re: Do You Ride Horses? V.4

Postby Luzien » Sat Dec 30, 2017 5:44 am

Brynmala wrote:
pills wrote:How would you teach a green horse to be lunged without a available round pen?

Further to Moonfall's comments, don't try and lunge by yourself to start with, you'll need someone at the horse's head to lead him round until he gets the idea of going in a circle, and control the the speed until the voice commands are understood - remember downward transitions also need to be taught, not just going faster, and this is difficult without help.

And, I'm sure it doesn't need to be said, but keep sessions very short (not more than about 15 minutes) as it is really hard work for the horse, and can put a lot of stress on bones of a youngster particularly.

or you can do it like in groundwork for free training, a long 3-6m lead rope, let the horse walk next to you and slowly step away and walk on, when horse is alright with walking 1m or so away from you make it till nearly end of rope, try different Speeds like slow to fast walk, trot and canter but you only walk. while you do this you also can let the horse walk aroun you in the same way now and then, so walk normaly then you stop and let the horse walk some rounds around you and walk on, do the same in different direction...in the end you also can get your horse lunged like normal, but also can lead your horse away from you in different Speeds and direction and over jumps or obstacles...

or lead your horse, stand still and then only slowly walk with you in the middle till you can stay still and horse walk around you.. and let your horse walk around you in small to bigger circles, at a normal lead rope, then a long lead rope up to a lung line or use the line from the start...with this you dont need help ...and when the horse goes from walk into trot or canter and back and so on, you then can start other Training to get the horse to move his Body bether going over poles and so on

or you can use the pasture, a corner of it, that you then use some partable fence poles and electric wire and make a mobile fence roundpen...
Please klick them or they will die°°!!!
http://dragcave.net/user/Miriya I really search for the 2013 SUMMER EVENT missed pets
- the store pets and pets from wl, I search for german shepherds and rainbow doted dogs of '09--other dream pets ) RPG Costumes -Mage - Necromancer--RPG Flags and Banner-sun- moon...^//^
search this items:
Image-Image--Image-Image-Image
Luzien

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Skysong » Mon Jan 01, 2018 5:52 am

Hi!

I used to own two horses and I currently look after my neighbors horses when she's away.
She has an Arabian, her name is Bella, and an Arabian cross named Spartacus.

Spartacus has no stall manners but is as sweet as can be when in the pasture. He only likes me when I'm bringing him carrots it seems.

This is a large image.

He was trying to eat my jacket. Lipping, licking, and lightly grabbing with his teeth. Not really pulling, just... grabbing.
My friend said he's just trying to get my to pay attention to him :lol:

Another large image
And another large image

These are her two horses, the top one is Spartacus, the bottom is Bella.

The horses I used to own, one was a rescue appaloosa.
Her name was Soxy.
The guy my mom bought her from punched her in the nose because "she was misbehaving"

We had to move her from the pasture to eat as the Arabian cross we owned would run her off of her grain, which is why this is taken in the front yard and she's eating off a chain link fence...

She was underweight when my mom bought her, she was 21 when purchased and around 400 pounds underweight according to the vet we had come look at her. Her teeth were floated and she was put on a three time a day feed for a couple of weeks while we tried to get weight back on her mixing corn oil and a couple other things in her grain.

Here's two more pictures of her.

This is a very awkward picture of the Arabian/Tennessee Walker cross, Phin.
Though I did get one really nice picture of him

These two horses weren't stall horses and any shelter they had they ditched for pine trees. They had all the things they needed, blankets, water, feed, and even a small building we wouldn't pen them into but it was there for them to get out of the rain and such. They were pasture horses, and we couldn't pen them in anywhere. We tried :lol:

I'm done with images, I can turn them into link if anyone has any issues with loading more than an image or two! ♥
Skysong

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Hime » Tue Jan 02, 2018 6:58 am

Gee, when was the last time I posted.... 14th, eh, oops?
So Heta's home now (picked her up on 19th, which was my only day off that week) and that went really well, despite the smaller roads being pretty much iced over and kinda bumby as well. Heta was just little bit shocked looking when we arrived.The yard was also ice rink frozen, so I didn't even dare driving the combination up the small up hill as I already had it slide a tiny bit on the road that was pretty much flat and I was driving slow. So we had to unload Heta at the near by turning area thingy and then walk minute or two to the yard. We've done that once before and since Heta is such easy to load etc. it was no biggie. Sucky part was cleaning up the trailer as I had to bring up all the tools from the stable and then back again. But that got done and Heta's home safely so all good. She has been alone in smaller paddock for now since the mares apparently have been busting up some fences and the paddock next to them (where we first planned to put Heta in to get to know the new horses in the herd first over fence) had really sucky ground and again not so great fences. But I think eventually she will get placed back into one of the groups, we just need to figure out if she'd be better with the bigger group with mixed age or with two bit older mares, who how ever can be bit strong.
I feel like I haven't ridden much past few weeks due work (or then I just don't remember) and then I got some sort of flue after 24th I think. I've been kinda feeling little feverish, without fever though, then I started sneezing(which I first though was allergic reaction to laundry stuff, but apparently I just suddenly went generally scent sensitive due what ever I have) and having stuffy/running nose etc. I did ride both on 24th really quick and I think on 27th as well, before I got hit by the flue on 28th/29th. I tried to have a nice trail ride with Heta on the 27th, but she was in the mood of just running and I really was not having that at all. So I just didn't feel like fighting about the speed and got off at one point and walked back home for most part. I did take her back to area after that ride though and worked on some transitions as I really will not tolerate her not listening to slow down cues out on the trail. Tý has been slowly improving again with tolting (he finds it bit hard currently), but still has much work to do with balance and not falling in shoulder first through corners. The area hasn't been in very good shape so that makes things extra challenging for him in terms of balance so I haven't asked much more of him other than trying to keep him straight and correctly set on the fence track (which is decent compared to the middle area) in walk, trot and then little bits of tolt where the ground is least stumbly.
Weather basically has been plain pain in the butt for most of the time, but once I found myself having a dry horse that lives outside 24/7. Image Like considered we've had mostly ice and rain for weeks, it was so nice in mid December with all the snow. Even though Tý thought it was oh so hard to move in the snow. :lol:
Due the ice and time situation haven't been able to get Feykja out of the paddock at all, but no real reason to do so anyway. Though it would be nice to be able to give her some mineral and protein feed now and then.

Then I have some big news which only got confirmed on the 14th/15th (just in time for work to start taking all my energy and then christmas time messing things :roll: ). I will be heading off to UK in February for student exchange thing for the spring semester. Which is very exciting for me as the courses I get to take and much more scientific sounding than what my school has been able to offer so far, but the horses do complicate situation a bit and I haven't yet made solid plans for anything. Obviously can't pack them to come with me, since that would be just way too expensive not to mention unfair for them. Pretty much everything related to the trip is still open though, since the holiday season really messed up anything getting done... ^^; I do have rough idea of what is realistic for Heta and Tý, but it's up to other people will it work out.
Can we pretend that the airplanes in the night sky are like shooting stars?
I could really use a wish right now, wish right now, wish right now...
Hime

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby MoonfallTheFox » Tue Jan 02, 2018 11:43 am

Spider loves snow bless her. She stands out in the stuff like a big black yak, and yesterday she was laying in the sun on the snow. I went through a terrible loss and in true Spider fashion she's been giving me lots of big hairy snuggles. She is truly my horsey soul mate, and I am very lucky to have her.

I need to trim her tail, it's getting so long she's going to start stepping on it soon. Rare for so young a horse to have such a nice tail, but genetics were kind to her. I hate to trim it. But I don't want her to hurt herself.
Moonfall // He/Him // ©
"No one deserves my world quite like you do
And it's true, I hate everything but you."
Amigo The Devil
Gif by BronzeHalo
MoonfallTheFox

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Albino_ » Tue Jan 02, 2018 1:40 pm

MoonfallTheFox wrote:Spider loves snow bless her. She stands out in the stuff like a big black yak, and yesterday she was laying in the sun on the snow. I went through a terrible loss and in true Spider fashion she's been giving me lots of big hairy snuggles. She is truly my horsey soul mate, and I am very lucky to have her.

I need to trim her tail, it's getting so long she's going to start stepping on it soon. Rare for so young a horse to have such a nice tail, but genetics were kind to her. I hate to trim it. But I don't want her to hurt herself.

Try braiding her tail, and putting it in a tail bag and every day or every other day, take it off and unbraid her tail, leave it like that for a while then rebraid and put the tail bag on it again, I use to work and show against a horse with a really long tail that it drags a good amount on the ground, he was a mini horse stalliom, registered named Bear Branch Painted Feather aka Feather, we are best friends with his owner, but last month they lost Feather to colic,

But tomorrow going to be transporting my adopted mothers 2 horses, donkey and goat and bringing them to a new place, for they are at my adooted moms ex's house, he became an ex as of yesterday, so i will get pictures of them all!
x
xxxxxxx
🌿🌿🌿
Alb | she/her | EST
RVS(CDH Barn) CDH Whisps
I am a mother of 2 and work 4
days a week, I own a horse and
a maine coon
🌿🌿🌿
Albino_

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby danheng » Wed Jan 03, 2018 5:35 pm

hi there, horse thread c:
I'm hawk. I work at a ranch local to me and have been very lucky to be able to learn how to both ride and care for horses through it. I'm quite new to riding but I absolutely adore doing so. I'd love to post pictures of the darlings as soon as I get some. nice to meet all of you <3

edit- here are the girls. this is sheba, I love her with all my heart. shasta dear can be a little nippy and I tend not to like working with her- still, a darling. and of course little luna, about half my size.
danheng

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby rose.bloom » Thu Jan 04, 2018 4:26 am

heyooo
just thought i'd pop in.
im not regular rider but this summer ill be getting to ride a lot and im v excited.
ive done a small amount of jumping, and i can walk/trot/canter
i wish i could ride regularly but its just not possible as its vv expensive here
anyways, just thought i'd say hi, you all have some v pretty horses!
rose.bloom

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby MoonfallTheFox » Thu Jan 04, 2018 3:38 pm

Soul Of Winter wrote:
MoonfallTheFox wrote:Spider loves snow bless her. She stands out in the stuff like a big black yak, and yesterday she was laying in the sun on the snow. I went through a terrible loss and in true Spider fashion she's been giving me lots of big hairy snuggles. She is truly my horsey soul mate, and I am very lucky to have her.

Try braiding her tail, and putting it in a tail bag and every day or every other day, take it off and unbraid her tail, leave it like that for a while then rebraid and put the tail bag on it again, I use to work and show against a horse with a really long tail that it drags a good amount on the ground, he was a mini horse stalliom, registered named Bear Branch Painted Feather aka Feather, we are best friends with his owner, but last month they lost Feather to colic,

But tomorrow going to be transporting my adopted mothers 2 horses, donkey and goat and bringing them to a new place, for they are at my adooted moms ex's house, he became an ex as of yesterday, so i will get pictures of them all!

I do have a bag but I am going to trim it to a couple inches above the ground for now. I don't want to keep it bagged because there's some safety risks that I don't want to contend with for her- I don't compete with her yet, she's only 2.

Maybe in the future I will grow out and braid up her tail when we do competitions. But it's long as it is, so it's probably not really necessary to bag it.
Moonfall // He/Him // ©
"No one deserves my world quite like you do
And it's true, I hate everything but you."
Amigo The Devil
Gif by BronzeHalo
MoonfallTheFox

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby APH Italy » Thu Jan 04, 2018 5:08 pm

Anyone else dealing with weather that is too cold to ride in? Our arena sand is frozen so I can't ride tomorrow like I was supposed to. I'm still going out to groom and such, but alas.

In other news I'm going to have pictures of myself riding soon! A friend agreed to come with me to take pictures for me. I'm gonna get her to get a quick video too. My next one will be my 5th lesson I believe? Loving english so far-
APH Italy

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Tainted~Wings » Thu Jan 04, 2018 5:33 pm

Ok guys question my friend asked me: In winter how long would you leave your horses without water?

To answer it I personally don't like my horses being out in the cold without water for more than an hour. I kinda understand that I'll fill up the trough at 9 then the horses will have it empty or low enough that it froze before 7. I personally would prefer horses to have water in front of them all the time when not being worked. Your opinion? I only know she's asking because their pump went out and they have to get water from the house
Tainted~Wings

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me