The BRODENTS! Rodent Enthusiast Thread!

Share your real pet photos and stories, tell us about your fav species, promote wildlife causes, or discuss animal welfare

What kinds of rodents do you own?

Chinchilla/s
5%
Degu/s
2%
Gerbil/s
6%
Guinea Pig/s
16%
Hamster/s
18%
Mouse/mice
8%
Rat/s
20%
None :c
20%
None, but I'm getting some soon!
6%

Total votes : 2028

Re: The BRODENTS! Rodent Enthusiast Thread!

Postby ghostmaker » Fri Dec 29, 2017 7:41 am

so, my mother still thinks that all small rodents have the plague, but i’m researching a ton and putting together a sort of presentation/binder thing to inform her more about hamsters, and let her understand that hamsters, while they can carry other diseases, are highly unlikely to carry the plague, and most diseases in rodents are caused by contact with fleas or wild rodents.

i have enough money saved up to buy almost everything for a hamster: a comfortable cage (most likely a tank), fresh bedding, water bottles, food bowls, food itself, a decently sized wheel, and many other toys/engaging items.

@kat that’s awesome!! hoping their sneezes stop as well, sneezy rats are not happy rats :c but do be careful with aspen bedding, it’s known to be a bit messy
mars • he/they/she • adult
ghostmaker

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby cornspurrd. » Mon Jan 01, 2018 4:22 am

Dyson Passed today,
I wish they lived longer.

Me and his brother are just snuggling
together now.

Edit: Sorry the image is large But all 3 of my babies In one picccccccccc
And Another pic of the cat and the ratt
Smile and wave...
cornspurrd.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Kisiel » Tue Jan 02, 2018 11:45 pm

I'm sending off some of my girls to a stud this week, gosh the house will be so quiet without them. Only one is being mated but she needs company as she'll be gone about a week, so two others are going with her. I know they'll be taken care of very well but I still can't help but get nervous.
Stay positive.

Kisiel

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby a snoozing skerple » Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:47 am

anyone else have a problem with their tall cages collecting static? we've moved the cage to a different wall twice now and have no carpet near it but for some reason it still zaps me frequently.
it doesn't seem to ever zap the rats in the cage, but i was just holding one of them and as i walked near the cage - didn't even touch it yet - it suddenly zapped my hand underneath her and scared her.
a snoozing skerple

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby meerkat boi. » Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:49 am

notes;
    mice are smart
    they've eaten the peanut butter off the mouse trap without setting it off.

┏━►►━━━━━━━┓
this is a wip
┖━━━━━━━◄◄━┚
↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑

meerkat boi.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby MotherMother » Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:53 pm

How do you guys deal with rats chewing up clothes?
My rats recently munched in 2 of my shirts and I heard them chewing but it was too late. They have tons of cement blocks, wood blocks, wicker balls, and a lava ledge to nibble on, and they do, but they've also taken a fancy for clothes. Sometimes they try and chew a hole in a shirt I am wearing!
Anyway, anyone have any tips to prevent this? Or is the only option keeping my room perfectly clothes-free XD

------

a
r
t

b
y

K
u
r
a
i.
Image Image
MotherMother

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Kisiel » Fri Jan 05, 2018 12:16 am

MotherMother wrote:How do you guys deal with rats chewing up clothes?
My rats recently munched in 2 of my shirts and I heard them chewing but it was too late. They have tons of cement blocks, wood blocks, wicker balls, and a lava ledge to nibble on, and they do, but they've also taken a fancy for clothes. Sometimes they try and chew a hole in a shirt I am wearing!
Anyway, anyone have any tips to prevent this? Or is the only option keeping my room perfectly clothes-free XD

Don't leave things you don't want chewed where they can reach them. You can wear "rat" clothes while you play with them, so basically have a couple of things you wear while they're out that you don't mind chewed.

My girls will try to pull me into the cage if I'm standing nearby and have made some holes doing so but its my own fault. Recently they also started pulling my hair too lol
Stay positive.

Kisiel

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Kat » Fri Jan 05, 2018 5:34 am

Kisiel wrote:
MotherMother wrote:How do you guys deal with rats chewing up clothes?

Don't leave things you don't want chewed where they can reach them. You can wear "rat" clothes while you play with them, so basically have a couple of things you wear while they're out that you don't mind chewed.

My girls will try to pull me into the cage if I'm standing nearby and have made some holes doing so but its my own fault. Recently they also started pulling my hair too lol

Mine do that, too! They've murdered two shirts that way, sadly. As well as that, two days ago Edwin was on my shoulder and decided to grab onto one of my wooden gauges. He left tooth marks on it. ;;

I need to get he and Victor some more chews, apparently.
Kat

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby MoonfallTheFox » Fri Jan 05, 2018 6:08 am

The only way to keep them chewing your things is keep your things out of reach of the rats. Rats chew. It's their nature.
Moonfall // He/Him // ©
"No one deserves my world quite like you do
And it's true, I hate everything but you."
Amigo The Devil
Gif by BronzeHalo
MoonfallTheFox

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby cornspurrd. » Fri Jan 05, 2018 6:54 am

Hmmm...mebbe it needs more cerulean? Or true red? "
*holds up paws to frame* "Hey do we have carnation pink?"
cornspurrd.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me