The BRODENTS! Rodent Enthusiast Thread!

Share your real pet photos and stories, tell us about your fav species, promote wildlife causes, or discuss animal welfare

What kinds of rodents do you own?

Chinchilla/s
5%
Degu/s
2%
Gerbil/s
6%
Guinea Pig/s
16%
Hamster/s
18%
Mouse/mice
8%
Rat/s
20%
None :c
20%
None, but I'm getting some soon!
6%

Total votes : 2028

Re: The BRODENTS! Rodent Enthusiast Thread!

Postby MoonfallTheFox » Wed Dec 27, 2017 11:59 am

d. frost wrote:
    hey guys
    sooo ive posted about this ages ago about seeing mice and.. they reproduced.

have you guys ever had any experience with keeping house mice as pets?
    these are only babies not adults so are they more tameable?

They will always be very wild. Even though they're so closely related to our domestics they can interbreed, genetically, they are predisposed to a very wild temperament and will never be able to be tame. If you were to try and keep one you would only be able to look at it.

The better choice is to use a humane live trap to relocate them. Take them at least 2 miles from your home somewhere there is food and water like a creekbed, and let them go. They are very good at coming back if you do not take them far enough so the farther the better.

I once rescued a litter of them at only a day old (they were found in a structure and going to be killed, so I took em. Soft heart.) and I used a domestic female mouse who was lactating at the time to foster raise the pups. Most of them lived. I treated them all for parasites (they were totally infested). They were WILD to their very cores. It didn't matter that they were even raised in a human home. They were wild animals and they didn't belong in a cage.

I let them go. I did a soft release on my own property and provided nest material, bedding, and food for the first month of life for them. Gradually decreasing feeding frequency so they learned to forage all on their own. They did great. They wouldn't have needed as much support if they were raised by a wild mouse momma but my doe didn't have the wild skills to teach them so they had a learning curve out there. I also didn't raise them on pellet food alone I provided a lot of "wild" foods for them so they knew what was edible and what wasn't.
Moonfall // He/Him // ©
"No one deserves my world quite like you do
And it's true, I hate everything but you."
Amigo The Devil
Gif by BronzeHalo
MoonfallTheFox

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby meerkat boi. » Wed Dec 27, 2017 12:16 pm

MoonfallTheFox wrote:
d. frost wrote:
    hey guys

They will always be very wild. Even though they're so closely related to our domestics they can interbreed, genetically, they are predisposed to a very wild temperament and will never be able to be tame. If you were to try and keep one you would only be able to look at it.

The better choice is to use a humane live trap to relocate them. Take them at least 2 miles from your home somewhere there is food and water like a creekbed, and let them go. They are very good at coming back if you do not take them far enough so the farther the better.

I once rescued a litter of them at only a day old (they were found in a structure and going to be killed, so I took em. Soft heart.) and I used a domestic female mouse who was lactating at the time to foster raise the pups. Most of them lived. I treated them all for parasites (they were totally infested). They were WILD to their very cores. It didn't matter that they were even raised in a human home. They were wild animals and they didn't belong in a cage.

I let them go. I did a soft release on my own property and provided nest material, bedding, and food for the first month of life for them. Gradually decreasing feeding frequency so they learned to forage all on their own. They did great. They wouldn't have needed as much support if they were raised by a wild mouse momma but my doe didn't have the wild skills to teach them so they had a learning curve out there. I also didn't raise them on pellet food alone I provided a lot of "wild" foods for them so they knew what was edible and what wasn't.

What container would you keep them in.
I don't have a cage.
And I'd be scared it they got out through gaps. (I know they can squeeze through tiny spaces)
I have a tank.. But a fish is inhabiting it.
I don't have a wheel.. But I have food and toilet rolls.
Does toilet paper work as a layer for the ground?

┏━►►━━━━━━━┓
this is a wip
┖━━━━━━━◄◄━┚
↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑

meerkat boi.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Zelda The Ferret » Wed Dec 27, 2017 12:19 pm

My dwarf hamster Buddy had his first Christmas :D! He got 5 things that I personally begged my parents for. 2 kinds of treats, a GIANT cage, a hamster ball, and a lazy lookout compartment!
still haven't decided on a name for my new baby
Zelda The Ferret

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby meerkat boi. » Wed Dec 27, 2017 12:19 pm

Zelda The Ferret wrote:My dwarf hamster Buddy had his first Christmas :D! He got 5 things that I personally begged my parents for. 2 kinds of treats, a GIANT cage, a hamster ball, and a lazy lookout compartment!

Adorable!

┏━►►━━━━━━━┓
this is a wip
┖━━━━━━━◄◄━┚
↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑

meerkat boi.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby meerkat boi. » Wed Dec 27, 2017 10:03 pm

d. frost wrote:
MoonfallTheFox wrote:
d. frost wrote:
    hey guys

What container would you keep them in.
I don't have a cage.
And I'd be scared it they got out through gaps. (I know they can squeeze through tiny spaces)
I have a tank.. But a fish is inhabiting it.
I don't have a wheel.. But I have food and toilet rolls.
Does toilet paper work as a layer for the ground?

┏━►►━━━━━━━┓
this is a wip
┖━━━━━━━◄◄━┚
↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑

meerkat boi.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Kisiel » Wed Dec 27, 2017 10:10 pm

You really shouldn't keep them in any container, they're wild animals and should be kept as such. Trapping them to keep as "pets" is unethical and inhumane, as they will most likely suffer in captivity.

If you want a pet mouse, get a proper set up and a fancy mouse instead.
Stay positive.

Kisiel

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby meerkat boi. » Wed Dec 27, 2017 10:30 pm

Kisiel wrote:You really shouldn't keep them in any container, they're wild animals and should be kept as such. Trapping them to keep as "pets" is unethical and inhumane, as they will most likely suffer in captivity.

My local pet stores don't have mice.

┏━►►━━━━━━━┓
this is a wip
┖━━━━━━━◄◄━┚
↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑

meerkat boi.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Keriae » Wed Dec 27, 2017 10:44 pm

d. frost wrote:
Kisiel wrote:You really shouldn't keep them in any container, they're wild animals and should be kept as such. Trapping them to keep as "pets" is unethical and inhumane, as they will most likely suffer in captivity.

My local pet stores don't have mice.

Then look around at rescues and/or breeders. Catching and keeping wild animals is, as said, unethical and inhumane. They are not tame or bred for tameness, and they will become stressed and likely display stereotypies. Trapping mice just because you want them is not fair.
Keriae

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby MoonfallTheFox » Thu Dec 28, 2017 7:35 am

The Fancy Mouse Breeders Association keeps some breeder records. They also run facebook groups that can be used to find breeders nearby if you are having trouble finding pet domestic mice. Please don't subject a wild animal to captivity, wild mice don't belong here. A fancy mouse will be a much more pleasant and enjoyable pet for YOU, too.
Moonfall // He/Him // ©
"No one deserves my world quite like you do
And it's true, I hate everything but you."
Amigo The Devil
Gif by BronzeHalo
MoonfallTheFox

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby WalkingContradiction » Thu Dec 28, 2017 9:31 am

So far my rats aren't using their Christmas presents...

They've got a new hammock a tunnel and a tunnel hammock as well as various chew toys

They just sleep in their old igloo

When I take them out however they are active and jump around

Do you guys got any idea what's the problem?
WalkingContradiction

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me