Reptiles - Geckos, Lizards, Snakes, and Turtles!

Share your real pet photos and stories, tell us about your fav species, promote wildlife causes, or discuss animal welfare

Re: Reptiles - Geckos, Lizards, Snakes, and Turtles!

Postby rose; » Wed Dec 20, 2017 3:33 pm

Lepisma wrote:Any suggestions for easily maintained staple feeder insects for an adult Mediterranean house gecko (Hemidactylus turcicus)? Mine doesn't eat her superworms and mealworms fast enough; they outgrow her size range long before she eats them and now I'm drowning in bugs since I can't order fewer than 20-some (and nowhere local carries them). I can keep the mealworms in the fridge for the most part to slow them down, but they have to warm up and eat sometime. I've been told not to put superworms in the fridge, and they're almost all huge now anyway. I'm chopping them up and throwing them to my fish occasionally instead, hah.
  • She will not take dead items.
  • She doesn't seem to like crickets, although I plan on trying some again if my last 3 pinheads survive past the 1/4 inch stage.
  • I've had luck with Phoenix worms in the past, but she doesn't seem into them lately.
  • Same with Waxworms, which I've heard aren't that great nutritionally anyway.
  • Attempting to let some of my excess waxworms pupate to see if she'll like the moths, but I'm not holding my breath. They've been in the fridge a long time, lol.
  • The hornworms kept escaping the terrarium, and she didn't want them anyway.
  • She might have eaten a blue bottle fly, or else it managed to escape, but I'm hesitant to do fast-moving things with wings and I had a poor experience with the rest of that shipment.
  • Tried flightless fruit flies.... never again. I think I still have some in my kitchen and I got rid of the culture months ago.
  • I refuse to do roaches. I've dropped crickets in the house and that's bad enough :thumbdown:

Is there some bug I haven't tried yet?

Here's a picture of the little goober. Her name is Felicia Smalls.

Dubia roaches? I know you said no roaches but they will stay small for a long time and are a good source of nutrition. They can't climb most slippery surfaces and can't fly, nor do they bite or make noise. The small ones are decidedly not as scary as the big ones as well, and if they escape they'll die in the house. They're not good at surviving
rose;

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby OliCat » Fri Dec 22, 2017 4:16 am

I currently have 2 hognose snakes, a Kenyan sand boa, and a crested gecko and 3 giant African land snails. love all my babies, though I'm wanting something else maybe a leopard gecko would a 2ft viv be big enough? and are they fairly cheap to own?
OliCat

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Crum » Fri Dec 22, 2017 7:18 am

A 10 gallon tank is 20”x11” And is just barely enough for one (regular sized not giant) leopard gecko. Your 2 foot tank is probably fine. Keep in mind tho that basically any vertical space is useless when it comes to them, it’s all ground space. They can’t climb and don’t bask.
They are really cheap to own though. All you need is a heat mat which is like $20 and you can use stuff around the house for everything else (paper towel substrate plastic container hides etc) but you can always go buy stuff like decorative hides and reptile carpet. I think buying everything for my leo including himself was under $100. Feeding is the only long term expense, and buying a new heat mat every 3 years or so because they stop working. Crickets are going to be about $1-3 a week depending on the size and quantity you feed. Supplements are like $10 a year.

Also Can I see your snails? I love them and want one but I think they’re illegal in the us :(
Crum

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby rose; » Fri Dec 22, 2017 7:29 am

OliCat wrote:I currently have 2 hognose snakes, a Kenyan sand boa, and a crested gecko and 3 giant African land snails. love all my babies, though I'm wanting something else maybe a leopard gecko would a 2ft viv be big enough? and are they fairly cheap to own?

I'm so jealous, I want African land snails but they're illegal here. I think Leos are fairly cheap to own for a reptile. They don't eat as much as other species, and you can start a dubia colony and cut out any expenses for feeders if you're brave enough to keep roaches. More nutritious than crickets anyway
2 ft should be good, and to cut down on costs you could do diy hides and use a substrate like paper towels or shelf liner, I use excavator clay but it's a bit more expensive. You can also make custom backgrounds out of Styrofoam or something so they can have space to climb; most people say they won't climb but if given the option most will
rose;

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Crum » Fri Dec 22, 2017 12:21 pm

So I am pretty certain i will be rescuing this beardie next week. I am concerned about a couple things though. Firstly, he has never been fed greens, only freeze dried crickets and mealworms. Obviously, I will be feeding him correctly. I am worried though, will he eat the greens or will he not want them because hes never had them before? What do I do if he doesnt want to eat them, how can I get him to eat them?

Also, how healthy does he look? Hes about a year old. Im concerned that hes underweight and he seems to have droopy eyes.
Crum

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Crum » Mon Dec 25, 2017 7:32 am

Just as I worried he shows no interest in veggies. I’m not sure that he even knows it’s food. I also tried giving him a pinkie and he won’t eat it.

How Can I get him to eat?
Crum

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby .kestral » Mon Dec 25, 2017 11:31 am

Don’t give him anything except veggies? Use stuff that smells good, like peeled butternut squash or something. He won’t starve himself, he will go to the veggies eventually. Run bugs over them or put them in them if that helps too.
Having serious issues viewing dark colours at the moment. May delay replys to pms. Sorry.

The Leopard Pups
Grey, Black and White. The world revolves and we go with it. Twisting in this everlasting monotony, eyes of green and gold, watching and waiting for our chance, our time. Cytor, Liliana, Serenade, Bayonet, the Prankster, the sweet one, the mother and the lost soul. There birth was a lost event, one in a million, two wandering souls met in the shadows, and these four were created. There pups are the stuff of legend, one lost there sight, one lost there path, one lost there love and the other? The other lost his family, everyone they cared about. He lost his family.
.kestral

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby rose; » Tue Dec 26, 2017 8:18 am

Crum wrote:Just as I worried he shows no interest in veggies. I’m not sure that he even knows it’s food. I also tried giving him a pinkie and he won’t eat it.

How Can I get him to eat?

They really don't need a pinky, only time it's recommended is females who just laid. I entice mine to start eating their veggies by putting bugs in the bottom of the bowl and veggies on top, they accidentally eat the veggies as they go for the bugs. This isn't a long term solution, so when he begins to recognize green stuff as food, you can switch to offering just greens. He won't starve himself, so you'll have to wait it out
rose;

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby WhiteWater ; » Thu Dec 28, 2017 7:35 am

leopard gecko post yup

So. For Christmas I got another 55 gallon aquarium to be put into my room, however the exact spot won't hold the weight of a water filled tank, so I decided to go reptile. Now,I know he doesn't need such a large tank and he will currently go into a smaller terrarium, though I like spoiling my animals and will be moving him to the 55 gallon once he's a bit bigger.
I have owned a leopard gecko before, who lived to be 9 years (and considering in that time we moved 4 times, Is amazing). I happened to be in a reptile store today,and stumbled upon the most adorable baby ever.
By baby, I mean barely over 2 inches. He was being sold as a normal LG, though I haven't seen a "normal" with his pattern. I know he's young and patterns will change as he ages, but he's still gorgeous?! He has a solid vertical black bar down his back.

If anybody has some advice for feeding him as well? He was on a diet of mealworms and crickets, however they seem so big for his tiny mouth,but I've never owned such a small leo before and what I'm finding on Google is different everywhere, so if any you guys have advice?

He is still shy and nervous, though he still is young. So I get to work on taking him, which I'm looking forward to!

Also any name suggestions would be cool? Heh
Sorry for the lame pictures. I'm currently on my way home with him!

────────────
bree | female canadian | reptiles | fish | cars
hello there! i'm whitewater, but you can call me white or bree!
i'm simply a weird atlantic canadian who has a fascination with cars,
reptiles, photography, dead things and drawing! feel free to shoot
me a pm if you just simply want to talk,
or if I could help you with anything!
────────────────────
discord: WhiteWater #2061
toyhouse: whitewater
commissions: art shop
art trades: open
────────────
WhiteWater ;

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby maninkari » Fri Dec 29, 2017 7:37 am

^ He's very pretty! Name him something cute, because he's adorable lol.
heck
maninkari

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me