Poultry Lovers Club

Share your real pet photos and stories, tell us about your fav species, promote wildlife causes, or discuss animal welfare

Which type of fowl is your favorite?

Standard Chicken
34%
Duck
15%
Geese
3%
Turkey
3%
Peafowl
5%
Pigeons
14%
Bantams
18%
Other
8%

Total votes : 466

Re: Poultry Lovers -- Chat Thread/Club

Postby MoonfallTheFox » Wed Dec 13, 2017 8:52 am

WalkingContradiction wrote:Username: WalkingContradiction
Why are you joining: I love CHICKENS
Favorite poultry bird: CHICKENS
Other: We had 4 chickens that I cared for and I loved them and I could carry them around and they would follow you and... and ahh I miss them (fox got to two of them, the other two died of old age)

also I really like the way rooster look... I know a small farmer guy and sometimes I just stare at his roosters... they are just so pretty!! Even though they are not always so nice....

I HAVE A QUESTION

so I plan on getting chickens in the future. Not in the near future but after I'm out of college. I want a couple of hens, as pets mainly but I want a good bit of eggs too! Any breeds you recommend?
I had two rhodesian reds on barred rock and a little wild looking hen with a tail like a rooster (I am just guessing as at the time my parents had a house-mate person thing and he found some chicks at a flea market and felt bad for them)

Do you want bantams or large fowl?

I'm a bantam person myself. But if you like large birds, buff orpington are great pets and very sweet birds. So are standard cochins if you can find them.

If you do like bantams I am big on the cochins, silkies, serama, and japanese. I also really like polish and they come in a standard and bantam variety.

However none of the breeds I listed are super great egg layers except the buff orpingtons. They do lay but not super duper every single day and the bantams lay tiny eggs. I don't mind and I actually have 2 pet roosters so they don't lay at all. :P
Moonfall // He/Him // ©
"No one deserves my world quite like you do
And it's true, I hate everything but you."
Amigo The Devil
Gif by BronzeHalo
MoonfallTheFox

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Bleek » Sat Dec 16, 2017 4:16 am

Username: Bleek
Why are you joining: I have a Huge obsession with chickens!
Favorite poultry bird: (breeds): Modern game <3, Sebright, Pekins, Fayoumi,
Other: I own 7 hens, 1 pullet, 7 chicks, which are: Australorp, Plymouth rock, modern game x, Pekin, blue ibsar rooster (Cross), 2 silkies, polish hen, pullet which is a dorking, and the chicks are probs crossbreeds of cross breeds :lol:

to all of us
─────────────────────
┅┅┅┅┅┅┅┅┅┅┅┅┅┅
─────────────────────
┌───────────────────┐

G'day

Pm

└───────────────────┘
─────────────────────
┅┅┅┅┅┅┅┅┅┅┅┅┅┅
─────────────────────
we can understand

Bleek

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby northy. » Sun Dec 24, 2017 7:19 am

Username: ryan ross.
Why are you joining: i love them. also, this video. (the conditions are sad but its made me reallly love turkeys! also i want to talk to people who don't view them as food.
Favorite poultry bird: hard to chose, either, chickens, ducks, or turkeys!
Other:i hope to rehome some rescue birds in future! possibly some ex-battery hens (:
northy.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Mothmanofficial » Tue Feb 20, 2018 1:04 am

Username: Sparkfire
Why are you joining: To chat about chickens and ask a few questions
Favorite poultry bird: Polish chickens and easter eggers, and cuckoo marans (I have 15 red stars, one white leghorn, one buff orpington, 3 brown leghorns, 5 easter eggers, 2 cuckoo marans, 2 silver laced polish, and a dear little heinz 57 rooster)
Other:

╔══════════════════════════════╗
Ace | He/him| INFP | Avatar FAQ | Carrd
╚══════════════════════════════╝

╔═════════════════════════╗
My head is filled with bees and all of
them are playing the trombone feature
from Phantom Regiment's 2023 show
|Thanks for coming to my TED talk|

╚═════════════════════════╝

Mothmanofficial

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Mothmanofficial » Tue Feb 20, 2018 1:14 am

Ok I have a question: I got 4 silver laced wyandottes in September. By the second day one (A weaker one I was expecting to pass away) had passed away, and it was very obvious that these were not wyandottes. I have had a polish chick before (sadly he passed away due to being stepped on during shipment to my house) and I could tell they were silver laced polish. The six week mark rolled around and I put them out in a large indoor rabbit cage for the see-but-don't-touch method of introduction. The other hens had the crests ripped off of them in no time flat. I tried to introduce them but the hens got increasingly more hostile and even killed one. Past introductions with the hens, including the introduction of my two cuckoo marans just two weeks prior, had gone fine. Right now the two remaining ones are in my basement, in a larger rabbit cage with the wire covered up with a board. They are happy but they cannot stay there forever. In march I am going to put them in a run half the size of the one in my 25 bird coop, give them a smaller coop and let them live in there rather than get rid of them. Would this be a wise thing to do? The run, even with a coop inside could hold 6-8 birds comfortably, and it would be just those two. They would be right alongside the other birds, and safe from predators (Well as safe a bird can get).

Mothmanofficial

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby 'Possum » Tue Feb 20, 2018 6:00 am

WalkingContradiction wrote:

I HAVE A QUESTION

so I plan on getting chickens in the future. Not in the near future but after I'm out of college. I want a couple of hens, as pets mainly but I want a good bit of eggs too! Any breeds you recommend?

Best egg layers I've had... (been keeping chickens over 30 years) have been white leghorns and Production Reds... Be they Isa Browns, Cinnamon Queens... Whatever fancy name they're all the same and awesome layers.

I always have a few of those to balance out the cost of feed for the flock by stocking the fridge with eggs. Then i have a few Marans, Welsummers, and assorted Easter Eggers for interesting colored eggs. And then the novelty chickens like D'uccles, Sebrights, Silkies, Cochins, etc. Just as lawn ornaments lol
'Possum

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Mothmanofficial » Tue Feb 20, 2018 6:13 am

MoonfallTheFox wrote:

For laying leghorns are good, for brown eggs I would say red stars (a.k.a. production reds, red sex link, and other names)
For friendliness you would like Rhode Island reds, easter eggers or buff orpingtons.
Easter eggers lay blue/green/pink eggs as well as the regular brown and white (Each chicken lays its own color, so if one of them lays blue it will always lay blue and no other color) so they care fun pets, and are decently friendly little buggers too. They come in a variety of colors which also makes them fun. They are hardy too.
Leghorns are kind of skittish and have big combs that frost bite easily but they lay great and are very stunning birds. I would not suggest them if you want something you can hold and pet, and they are aggressive towards other chickens.
Red stars are good, and friendly, but are not the prettiest and do not seem to be that hardy. They are great layers at first, but after two years mine are already laying less and less. Normally they last a bit longer before egg production declines.
Rhode island reds are pretty average layers but they lay brown eggs and are very nice friendly little things. They are hardy and nice to each other, and cold does not seem to bother them.
Buff orpingtons are big fat hardy birds. They are nice with people but my three were very very mean to other birds and they went broody constantly. Their laying is ok.
Now if you want looks, there are more stunning breeds than I could count but for a nice small flock of friendly chickens I would suggest a mix of rhode island reds and easter eggers. The rhode island reds are friendly and would lay a lot, and the easter eggers are fun and somewhat friendly as well. Keep in mind i only suggested breeds I am familiar with and have owned, so someone who has owned or been around something different could give you good advice if you want to know about a specific breed.

Mothmanofficial

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby DragonGamingGirl » Mon Mar 26, 2018 9:48 am

I’m unsure if this is the right chat for this, but it was the only thread I could find specifically about poultry. I just got my first ever set of chicks that were raising. They are Amerecauno pullet I believe? That’s what it said in the store I believe. Well, there’s this one tiny chick that hasn’t been walking around, eating or drinking, and every so often it chirps really REALLY loudly. It sounds really distressed. It just kinda sits there and the other chicks trample it. As soon as I pick it up, it stops chirping but makes quieter, quicker chirps. She also can’t seem to keep her head up. Is there something wrong with it?

Edit: they are chickens to be specific lol. I forgot to mention that
You laugh at us because we're different

|-/•Dragon•She/Her•Bisexual•Taken•|-/

╔═════════════╗

Hoi! Im Dragon,
I'm obsessed with PATD and
Undertale! I also
Like twenty one pilots and I
don't bite so feel
free to PM me or send me a
trade!
Adoption Center

╚═════════════╝

We laugh at you because you're all the same

DragonGamingGirl

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Luzien » Mon Mar 26, 2018 11:01 am

do you feed enough cut greens and fruit, insect, mineral powder for babys and the right feed for them ? do they have a heat lamp and enough water ...i would take her away from the other for protection, keep her watered and feed and warm under high enough heat lamp or those baby chicken heating table thingens..

and when possible ask the vet as soon as possible or go there today...sometimes it is a little thing, like that she is still to young or needs more food and keeper more warm and away from being hurt by larger chicken^^

how is her temp, the beak, nose holes, eyes, the feather and skin...her legs? when she is chirping like crazy and goes calm when you take her into the Hands, maybe she misses her mother and is to young to be away from her, or is cold.
you maybe could put a soft towel loose around her so she can put head onto it...not sure...i think i did see this somewhere in bird Forum...vet can say if this helps.

the vet can help you bether, give them a call.^^
hope all goes well.
Please klick them or they will die°°!!!
http://dragcave.net/user/Miriya I really search for the 2013 SUMMER EVENT missed pets
- the store pets and pets from wl, I search for german shepherds and rainbow doted dogs of '09--other dream pets ) RPG Costumes -Mage - Necromancer--RPG Flags and Banner-sun- moon...^//^
search this items:
Image-Image--Image-Image-Image
Luzien

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Mothmanofficial » Tue Mar 27, 2018 9:03 am

DragonGamingGirl wrote:I’m unsure if this is the right chat for this, but it was the only thread I could find specifically about poultry. I just got my first ever set of chicks that were raising. They are Amerecauno pullet I believe? That’s what it said in the store I believe. Well, there’s this one tiny chick that hasn’t been walking around, eating or drinking, and every so often it chirps really REALLY loudly. It sounds really distressed. It just kinda sits there and the other chicks trample it. As soon as I pick it up, it stops chirping but makes quieter, quicker chirps. She also can’t seem to keep her head up. Is there something wrong with it?

Edit: they are chickens to be specific lol. I forgot to mention that

I had one like that before. She did not develop right and died. That said, just because that happened to her does not mean something else is wrong with yours. Check the vent (where the waste comes out). Is her butt just fuzzy or is there a lot of dirt around it? Check the nostrils. Nothing coming out? Good. If fluids are coming out, that is a sign something is wrong. She also could have a mineral defficiency. Are her legs like the others or kind of splayed out?
@Luzina chicks are never to young to be away from their mothers. Besides, this one probably was brooder raised and never even knew its mother, so I am going to say that missing its mother is not the case here as it might be with other chicks.

Mothmanofficial

My pets
My items