Do You Ride Horses? V.4

Share your real pet photos and stories, tell us about your fav species, promote wildlife causes, or discuss animal welfare

Re: Do You Ride Horses? V.4

Postby Luzien » Sun Dec 03, 2017 10:27 am

@ Enchanted
that is soooooooooooooo darn cute :D

@ Hime
i hope Hetas leg looks bether...maybe use a bucket to cool the leg and wrap arou them some cloth or bandages ...or put on some clay?
or maybe ...
-Sore No-More Cooling Clay Poultice
- Tough 1 Ice Boot
- Professionals Choice Equine Flexible Ice Cells, Pair (Universal Size, Clear)
-Back on Track Therapeutic Quick Leg Wraps (this you also can find not much used or new but still low prized) , but for worked horses or horses who sometimes have leg Problem im told they are so lovely...maybe you can try them out when someoe owns thi in the stable^^
Please klick them or they will die°°!!!
http://dragcave.net/user/Miriya I really search for the 2013 SUMMER EVENT missed pets
- the store pets and pets from wl, I search for german shepherds and rainbow doted dogs of '09--other dream pets ) RPG Costumes -Mage - Necromancer--RPG Flags and Banner-sun- moon...^//^
search this items:
Image-Image--Image-Image-Image
Luzien

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby tenturo » Sun Dec 03, 2017 10:39 am

wowie it's been a while since i last poked in here!

some replies first;;

@Enchanted; awe c; that's so cute!!
      @Hime; hng i wish i could be of some help. i hope it heals up soon!
      @MelMellyMel; i highly recommend taking lessons! regardless of what age you start, you'll be a little nervous but you'll catch on quick! just make sure wherever you ride at has positive reviews, maybe talk to local horse people to get recommendations!
      @MapleShells; i agree with majority of what i'd seen. i'd definitely find a calm stable to take some refresher lessons on an old, sound horse to allow you to get back into the feel of it. maybe just take a trip or two out to the stable to be around the horses and make sure you don't get too panicky.

--------------

random updates;;

i don't have too much to put here but it's been a while.
      i decided to give sassy a little break and i'm working on teaching her to bow! we're slowly but surely making progress, and i'm honestly really impressed with how she's been doing so far!
      as for old gus, we've been riding more lately, mostly bareback to help me gain some more strength in my thighs, and i feel like he's a lot more comfortable without his big saddle as well.
      we're out of treats rip but christmas is coming up so they'll be getting new treats for christmas, maybe some other little things we need o;

i'd love to know what plans you have for the holidays with your horsey friends ; and if anyone here has taught their horses tricks (bowing, lying down, etc.) i'd love to hear how it went for you~

░░
    i promise
    ────────────────────────────
    l
    tenturo
    she / her
    gemini
    ⋯ ⋯⋯⋯⋯
    i am
    ⋯⋯⋯⋯ ⋯
    pansexual
    infp-t
    active
    ┌─── ── ── ── ── ── ── ── ── ── ─┐
    [url]comms[/url] ⋅ kalscredit ⋅ [url]n/a[/url] ⋅ to-do

└─ ── ── ── ── ── ── ── ── ── ───┘
    '┌─ ── ── ── ─┐
    '│─ ── ││ ── ─│
    '└─ ── ── ── ─┘
    ███
    ███
    ┌─ ── ── ── ─┐
    │─ ── ││ ── ─│
    └─ ── ── ── ─┘

'───────────────────────────────'
    worthy!!lxworthy!!
    [ ─`;.-' TO HOLD ─ ]l
    ┌ ┄┄┄┄┄┄┄┄┄ ┐
    you matter
    sleepy
    pms open <3
    comms open
    └ ┄┄┄┄┄┄┄┄┄ ┘
    ── in your ───
    [`arms.❜'

tenturo

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Hime » Wed Dec 06, 2017 5:50 am

@Horse tricks: I haven't really thought my horses anything. Heta does know how to do carrot stretches with just touch as que (to side at least, head between legs is bit tricky somedays), but I don't think that counts.
At her current stable though, the stable owner(well manager actually as she's just renting the space) is some sort of problem horse trainer and also goes some trick training. One of her ponies for example knows how to lie down, bow, stretch his front leg forward, spin and do mini rear by cue. Laying down was the hardest for that pony to do I think and generally I would think it as mentally hard thing for horses to agree to do. The spin thing I think was pretty cool when she demostrated the pony's skills one day. Her hand cue was simple circle motion and pony did this western type spin (exept like a lot slower lol). Rearing is something I wouldn't teach a horse though, unless that horse was mainly handled by me and not like to be sold. See, for that pony the cue was simple upwards motion with hand, so I could see someone easily doing that in daily life without thinking and accident happening.

@Holiday plans: Ride as much as I can. Simple as that. I would love if we got enough snow so that I could go sledding with Heta, but we shall see...
Finally managed to ride Tý last Sunday somewhat properly. I really think it's been like a month or something since I last rode him properly and boy was he rusty and his focus was kinda all over the place. For while had company on the arena and I was pretty impressed how well Tý could still focus on me and not just try follow the other horse around(after I got on that is, before that he wanted the other horse in his line of sight). Other than being bit stiff we had some issues with puddles and balance when trotting. Like this horse really really really does not want to get his feet wet, so every puddle that was narrow enough he'd kinda leap over in trot. -___- He has also gained weight, like a lot, so that Heta's saddle now fits him actually pretty nice. Which is nice in a way as I think he was not liking the Wintec I had been using anymore and now I don't have to borrow a saddle from L's lesson horse.
And just to give an idea how wet the weather has been, thus how wet the horses are. My average cotton saddlepad soaked through during our short-ish ride and Tý was still little damp under it... BUT winter is really trying to come, temp is not now finally dropping to minus degrees, so the ground is somewhat frozen (which is probably the greatest thing), plus it snowed a little today. :D Unfortunately that might mean no riding Tý tomorrow, when I go home for long weekend, as I haven't been able to buy the polarpads and pretty much everything is closed tomorrow due it being national holiday day thingy. : P

Heta's leg is looking much better. Icing it (ended up borrowing stable owner's ice wraps, and now just ice liniment) and rest has seemed to done the trick, but it's still not 100% normal and seems to swell up again little more with excersise. I walked her some in hand yesterday and today I ended up lunging her little in line to see if she was actually lame or avoiding that leg. Now I was supposed to just lunge her lightly some rounds in trot to each direction so I'd see if she was lame or not. Yeah, well, Heta might have little pent up energy and had other plans... :lol: :roll: She threw in some jumps and bucks and ended up cantering several rounds until she felt like listening to me and slowing down. If she wasn't in line she would have been ripping it up around the indoor for good while for sure. She did trot some before and after those explosions and judging how much she seemed to want to move, I suppose she's not hurting at all. Wasn't lame either. She's going to have until Sunday to rest though, since I have some stuff to do at home. Then it's back to work for her.
Can't believe we only have two more weeks of school after this week before it's holiday time. :shock: That also means Heta is moving back to L's and my life might get little easier, and Tý's fat butt gets put back into work. Though I did get a job (just cashier at supermarket, so nothing special) starting probably next week(going to sign stuff Friday and get my shifts) and running probably until new years I think, so I might be busier than I thought, but I'm super happy about it anyway. :D
Can we pretend that the airplanes in the night sky are like shooting stars?
I could really use a wish right now, wish right now, wish right now...
Hime

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

I love you, Sprunt

Postby ryukrem » Fri Dec 08, 2017 2:22 am

Spirit,

You were a great pony. My heart is so heavy. You taught me how to not only be a better rider, but to never give up. You threw me in the dirt and made me cry when I was little, but because of your quirks I learned to be a better rider and a better person. I absolutely adored riding you and you took me over my first jump course and taught me what it meant to be brave. I'll miss hearing your sweet nicker, cuddling your fuzzy neck, and seeing your cute face.

Last night I had the privielge to say my goodbyes. I walked up to your stall, called your name, and your head poked out and you nickered at me. At the moment I broke into tears, knowing that was the last time I'd ever hear it. I gave you your cooked carrots and gave you snuggles and with a final kiss on the nose I said goodbye.

Thank you for a ride of a lifetime, Sprunt.
      You will forever be our Spirit of Pinehill and the best polka dotted pony.

May we meet again. I love you.
Attachments
14955903_10153775004686599_458118407075313053_n.jpg
14955903_10153775004686599_458118407075313053_n.jpg (61.66 KiB) Viewed 98 times
ryukrem

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Re: I love you, Sprunt

Postby MoonfallTheFox » Fri Dec 08, 2017 10:18 am

ryukrem wrote:
      Spirit,

You were a great pony. My heart is so heavy. You taught me how to not only be a better rider, but to never give up. You threw me in the dirt and made me cry when I was little, but because of your quirks I learned to be a better rider and a better person. I absolutely adored riding you and you took me over my first jump course and taught me what it meant to be brave. I'll miss hearing your sweet nicker, cuddling your fuzzy neck, and seeing your cute face.

Last night I had the privielge to say my goodbyes. I walked up to your stall, called your name, and your head poked out and you nickered at me. At the moment I broke into tears, knowing that was the last time I'd ever hear it. I gave you your cooked carrots and gave you snuggles and with a final kiss on the nose I said goodbye.

Thank you for a ride of a lifetime, Sprunt.
      You will forever be our Spirit of Pinehill and the best polka dotted pony.

May we meet again. I love you.

Aw I'm so sorry :(
Moonfall // He/Him // ©
"No one deserves my world quite like you do
And it's true, I hate everything but you."
Amigo The Devil
Gif by BronzeHalo
MoonfallTheFox

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby APH Italy » Fri Dec 08, 2017 4:50 pm

Hey all! Idk if you remember me, but I finally got back into lessons. I also had my first fall two hours away from home :lol: anyways! I feel like I did pretty well considering it was my first time riding English. Managed to get up to a posting trot in an hour (but it's still kinda hard to post and steer-)
APH Italy

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Livid-Silver » Sat Dec 09, 2017 2:46 am

@Tenturo; I've taught Reggie a few different trick (though he usually just does them when he feels like it lol). So far he knows how to come when called, stay (which comes and goes, depends how 'in your pocket' he's feeling), bow, lie down, few different stretches, a more 'classic' bow (front two legs stretched out rather than one folded) and slowly compiling a spanish walk. He give a few really good steps now, so hopefully we'll get that really rolling soon. Reggie really likes doing stuff like trick training, cause he's very extroverted and 'busy'- it gives him something to play with and figure out. They're good fun to play with on 'rest days', I just need to figure out more things to teach him to keep him entertained lol

@Hime; Glad to hear Heta's leg is looking better! Hopefully it was just a mild strain and will be completely healed in a few days. If she was happy to go tearing around the arena like that, its obviously not too sore :lol: Congrats on the job and I bet having Heta back at L's will make things a lot easier for you! Job might eat up some of your time, but I bet the extra cash will be appreciated lol

@Ryukrem; Sorry to hear about your pony :( Sounds like he had a lovely life and I hope he went peacefully.

@APH Italy; Yeah I'm pretty sure I remember you! Sounds like you learnt lots during your lesson; english is a bit different from western lol Rising trot is often one of the trickier things for riders to get, but stick with it and I'm sure you'll pick it up in no time flat :)

@Holiday plans; Ride the darn pony lol I need to get my butt into gear and get some proper work into Reggie, I've been a bit lax about it over the last few weeks cause of post-exam-lag. Good news is I passed all my classes so I can take Chem 2 in the summer term and pick up my animal health class in the first semester back. Reggie's had a couple really good rides coming back from his spell, still a little wobbly but he's much brighter when asked to work. I'd say most of the wobbliness is actually coming from me, cause V picked up I was sitting unevenly and doing all kinds of weird things I wasn't even aware of in my last lesson. So I'm on a position fixing spree and Reggie's on a get fit plan (or well fitter, he not too bad atm) and hopefully he'll be ready to go out to a few smaller dressage days in the new year before uni kicks up too much. Other holiday plans include chilling out in the warmer weather, going up to my uncle's to muck around with foals and trying to decide whether to take Miles to the breed assessment in February :)

~~~

Now that I think of it, my reply to the holiday plans question pretty much covers most of what I've been up to. Reggie's starting to go really well and hopefully I'll get another lesson next week. V is moving to a few hours away, so lessons are going to be near impossible unless I can float down to her joint (which we have spoken about, but it wouldn't really be feasible to do fortnightly lol) so that is bit of a bummer. I really enjoy her lessons and I think finding a similar instructor locally will be difficult :/ I'm happy to float down to her place, but its soooo easy to fall into bad habits if you leave it too long.Will have to see how that places out. It should be a pretty easy drive down there though, since its away from the city rather than through it. I don't really like driving through the city, but I do have to do it to get to D's so I've been getting some practice in lol I also clipped Reggie's feathers off and pulled his mane the other day :O He looks really different and I'm not sure I like it lol He certainly looks more 'proper' and presentable for comps and stuff, but I do like his feathers. Ah well, they will grow back.
Miles is growing like a weed and Cleo is still loving life. Miles had his first experience with the halter and lead the other day when I went up and he was pretty good about it honestly. Had a few little meltdowns but he didn't really get that worked up about it (especially compared to last years stb colt. He thought being led was the THEWORSTPOSSIBLETHING™) and was leading and standing very nicely by the end of it. He's bit of a pocket pony so once he got the concept he was happy to follow along. Just the first few times they are restrained they get a bit frightened until they realize you don't hurt them and they aren't in danger. I suppose it is instinct and what kept them alive all those years ago in the wild. Cleo was pretty good throughout as well, a few nervous nickers ect. but she didn't do anything wrong or unexpected. Just worrying about her boy like a good mum :) I'll go back up to D's on Monday cause farrier is coming out for Miles (hence the leading/standing practice, usually we leave them a little longer before really mucking around with them). He's feet have improved and he's almost almost completely straight, he just gets a little lazy when standing around and lets his toes come up a few milimeters. He's toes are pretty long so once he's trimmed up it should hopefully sort that out. If farrier thinks we need to we can put the shoes on at the same time, but I'm inclined to think he wont need them. We will see in any case =D
Hopefully D's other mare Lucy is back in foal, she missed the first time she was bred and was bred again the day before I went up. Cullentime was heading to the vet's the day after I was there to be bred with frozen so I'm crossing my fingers for her as well. Vet said some of the others had been having issues with that particular stallion and then Cullentime coming off a difficult foaling, vet was not super optimistic she'd catch. So fingers and toes are crossed for those two. Would be really sad if we had no foals next year, they're too much fun. My friend Z actually took on one of D's ex-racers, he just wasn't fast enough so never even made it to the trials lol His name is Timmy and she'll break him into saddle over the summer. He's a little nervous, as the only other time he's been off my uncle's property was to go to the breakers way back when so it a big change for him. Considering that he's adjusted pretty well, just a little more jumpy than Kayzer or Reggie. I suspect he'll settle down soon enough, we only brought him back on Monday so it hasn't even been a week yet.

No updated pictures of Reg, I haven't had time to stand him up and take a picture and no riding ones because I'm usually there on my own. Hopefully tomorrow if the weather plays nice! Have two of Miles and his freakishly large ears for the mean time.
*Dunno why that one comes up sideways :/ The link to the raw image is correct?

EDIT; Weather was good enough for Reggie to have a bath and a tidy up today :) I clipped his beard and feathers off (hind socks clipped out completely for easy cleaning lol) and mane is about a 1/4 of the length is was. Turned into bit of a wild pony over winter, so thought I should neaten him up in case I get a chance to compete at some point over the summer.
Livid-Silver

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby nutmeg33149 » Sun Dec 10, 2017 8:48 am

Hope nobody minds if I jump into this forum topic!

@ryukrem: I'm so sorry to hear about your pony. It sounds like he was a lovely thing who had a great time with you. I always seem to realize just how amazing and special a horse was when they're gone. I wish you and Spirit the best.

@Amy Pond: Miles's ears look very fabulous, and he sounds like a pretty smart colt. Did you breed him yourself? And are you training him yourself? If so best of luck!

Myself; I'm an older teen who would really love to get into barrel racing, but the only barns around me are all English. I've read up on the web that it's easy to start barrel racing in English and then switch to western, but I'm not so convinced that that is true. In fact, I've never actually heard of English barrel racing. There are a few trainers around me willing to come to my stable and teach my horse and I, but those trainers don't seem to have that much experience in the sport themselves, and I'd rather be taught by someone who has experiences and knows what they are doing. Another thought was to travel to a show and see if I can make any connections to find a barn/trainer willing to teach me, but it turns out the closest "local" show, is around a two hour drive. Anyone out there have any advice, or is anyone in a similar situation? Thanks in advance!
nutmeg33149

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby APH Italy » Sun Dec 10, 2017 4:29 pm

@nutmeg

Sounds like you and I need to switch :lol: Most places around me are western, and I wanted to ride English. I finally found my place to ride but it took forever. Good luck to you! Barrel racing is definitely a bit of a rush
APH Italy

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby TixZ » Wed Dec 13, 2017 2:30 pm

Ahhh finally a post I'm able to relate to! :lol: Out of all of the appaloosa horses I've owned in my lifetime, has anyone's horse been moody or as dominant as mine? It seems to just be a normal tick with our horses, even our 29-year-old Ace! Has anyone else experienced such sassy apps?
http://myhorseforum.com/attachments/appy-jpg.183450/

This is the closest I could find to our 16-year-old app mare Legend.
TixZ

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me