Where do you draw the line?

Share your real pet photos and stories, tell us about your fav species, promote wildlife causes, or discuss animal welfare

Re: Where do you draw the line?

Postby pizzas and scream » Fri Oct 20, 2017 7:48 am

Light Bringer wrote:I draw the line at cats and dogs. Almost anything else I am willing to try. Rabbit meat is quite nice although smoked deer is much better. Also to those of you wanting to try kangaroo, warning the smell is quite strong for some of the roos, if smell doesn't bother you you should be all good. :thumbup:

woah, so you'd eat a monkey?
LF pet to be ||Kimmy Shmit|Roy Mustang||Ban Midou|jason mendoza(the good place)|maes hughes|Krylancelo Finrandi|
-----------------------------
older than an embryo
Adopt virtual pets at Chicken Smoothie!
pizzas and scream

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby DysLexiah » Fri Oct 20, 2017 7:54 am

I draw the line at Cats, Dogs, Dolphins, anything I've named and Tarantulas (Yes. People eat Fried Tarantulas.) But Ive had Frogs, Kangaroo, Squirrel, Buffalo, Venison, Locus (Science class, Teacher brought in Locus cookies. They were nasty), Crocodile, Snake and others. I was raised on a farm and my Gpa's took me huntin, so....
ImageImage
DysLexiah

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Canis2954 » Wed Oct 25, 2017 1:36 pm

• I know some cultures, for example, don't eat pork, others don't eat cow and so on, so where do you draw the line?

I think it should be acceptable to eat any responsibly sourced creature. Meat is meat. Sustainable meats, especially ecologically beneficial insects, are always favorable, though.

• What is socially acceptable to eat where you live & what is taboo?

In the southern Appalachian mountains, surrounded by hunters who take down deer and bear for meat, not much is off the menu. Some eat squirrel and rabbit without qualm. Most people here do shun the consumption of domestic animals, though.

• Would you eat a dog?

I wouldn't prefer it, but I would try it.

• How do you feel about shark meat?

There's nothing inherently wrong with eating the meat from a shark, but the way in which it is harvested is irresponsible and damaging.
Canis2954

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Enyo » Thu Oct 26, 2017 3:09 am

Spearow wrote:
Pilate wrote:I draw the line at cannibalism.

Omg I love this

For me, I don't try any meat of animals I have not had. I won't eat lamb, or baby cows, I don't eat any sort of seafood period, not even fish eggs. I eat chicken, very little turkey, very little pork, and next to no red meat. (Because I don't like it)

People eat deer here, apparently that is shocking for people who live in france! A french professor I had said "You eat bambi!" (When referring to americans)

And in france, they eat bunnies :<

Maybe your french teacher did not like eating deer for personal reasons, but a lot of people in France eat deer meat! I certainly do, as well as most people in my family. The majority of people I know who don't eat deer meat don't like the taste of it but are fine with other people eating it. I only know a few people who don't eat deer meet or the meet of other wild animals for ethical reasons, like being against hunting.
(I'm not against hunting, I personally think that at least wild animals have had the life they should have before being eaten, and certainly have a better life than most of the animals from the meat industry. Also, there are not many predators left in my country, and hunting has become necessary to control the populations of animals such as deers or wild boars, otherway they could cause damage to farms, gardens, etc... but also, more problematically, to the ecosystem, and some diseases could spread among them. It's sad, because the predatory animals have become exctinct and/or endangered due to humans, but since now we have to kill prey animals anyway it's best to eat their meat than waste it.)

But yes, we also eat rabbit. It's not the only country where rabbit meat is eaten, though.
And we don't steal pet bunnies from their owners to eat them x).
Enyo

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby The Furry Fandom » Thu Oct 26, 2017 3:51 am

I'm vegetarian, so no meat for me.

But honestly I don't really care what you eat. As long as the animal was raised and killed humanly. I do not hold "pets" above livestock,
though it does bother me when they are killed in horrid, painful ways (Dog Meat Festival, anyone?)
Honestly I do not even kill insects anymore, I set them back outside, so I just.. couldn't kill a dog or a cow.

Cannibalism is an obvious no, because human meat is actually pretty toxic to consume and can kill you due to all the junk we eat.

I'm not on here much anymore to talk, just trade.
Willing to do FR trades.
Don't message me. I'll rarely respond to trades sent to me unless I asked for them.
The Furry Fandom

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Kalik-ing » Fri Oct 27, 2017 5:37 pm

In my country, in my region, it is common to eat pork, chicken, beef, turkey, lamb/mutton, etc. While in other regions it is common to eat frogs, aligators, pheasant, bear, deer etc, I do not. I will not. I have a very sensitive stomach and can't physically handle a lot of foods. Dogs and cats are pretty much off limits here, I wouldn't want to try anyway, though. Horses are taboo, and I absolutely would never eat a horse. I have had a neighbor threaten to skin her kid's cat and feed it to her if she didn't train it. Poor kid was only 7 or 8 when that happened. Thankfully, she didn't end up having to train OR eat her cat.

My main meat is chicken with the occasional beef or turkey meal. Very rarely I'll have ham or bacon, but only very rarely. I've never tried mutton or lamb before and don't care to try wild game (my mom is allergic to most, so it's not safe for me to try either, since I take after her so much) I'm not a fan of seafood, but see no reason for people not to eat it unless the critters are endangered or approaching the endangered mark. I have no religious affiliation, thus no thoughts on sacred animals. If I'm in another country, I'll certainly do my research and follow the customs of those people, as it'd be in bad taste to outright disrespect people and their relgions/customs/cultures.

I found some ostrich, gator, and yak jerky at a swap meet once and brought it home for my dad. He preferred the yak, I think. He said it was sweeter than beef.
Kalik-ing

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Light Bringer » Fri Oct 27, 2017 5:42 pm

Faffy the FauxFox wrote:
Light Bringer wrote:I draw the line at cats and dogs. Almost anything else I am willing to try. Rabbit meat is quite nice although smoked deer is much better. Also to those of you wanting to try kangaroo, warning the smell is quite strong for some of the roos, if smell doesn't bother you you should be all good. :thumbup:

woah, so you'd eat a monkey?

Honestly, if it wasn't endangered, probably yes.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

xxxxxxxx
LIGHTS OFF
xxxxxxxx

Light Bringer

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby PixelChan » Wed Nov 01, 2017 3:08 am

I'm vegan so I draw the line at anything that comes from animals.
I don't mind if people wanna eat meat though :)
PixelChan

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby rum » Wed Nov 01, 2017 7:13 am

I know some cultures, for example, don't eat pork, others don't eat cow and so on, so where do you draw the line?
Honestly, I draw the line with very few animals. Personally, I wouldn't eat cat or dog meat, because I've been very emotionally attached to both a pet cat and a pet dog before; but that's really the only reason. I eat a lot of Japanese food, because it's one of my favorites, but I could never bring myself to eat octopus. Octopi are actually very intelligent creatures (although not in the same ways as a human) so I could never just eat one? It also kind of makes me sad watching others eat it, but it's fine. Just a personal opinion. It's the same with dolphin meat, although I've never actually seen anyone eat dolphin, I know it exists and I know i'd never be able to eat it.

What is socially acceptable to eat where you live & what is taboo?
I live in United States, therefore there are many people of different religions and ethnicities; so nothing here could really be considered widespread "taboo." Most people where I live consider it "socially unacceptable" to eat things such as dogs and cats, but i'm sure there are a few that wouldn't mind. I live in a woodsy town, so a lot of people do hunt. Here, it could definitely be considered socially acceptable to eat deer, possum, squirrel, and other small rodents. Although I don't talk about this subject a lot, so I wouldn't know if that's strange to some of you?

Would you eat a dog?
Like I stated above, I personally would prefer not to eat a dog, since I'm a huge animal person and have formed strong bonds with dogs before; but I'd possibly try a bite of dog meat? Just not enough to be even remotely considered a "meal."

How do you feel about shark meat?
To be honest, shark meat is delicious! It's very expensive where I live, and sharks have been over hunted due to commercial fishing, so I try not to eat a lot. But yeah, it's pretty good.

Hope this huge wall of text interested you at least somewhat, and answered some of your questions <3
rum

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby rabiesheir » Mon Nov 06, 2017 2:33 am

I draw the line when issues of hygiene and health appear.
I would eat bulls,cows,chickens,turkeys,rats,wolves,horses,lions,elephants,sharks,sheep,cheetahs... I'd be okay with cannibalism
( content, person lets you), but it's very unhealthy to eat one from your own species. But if I had to, I'd eat people too.

If healthy, my line doesn't exist.
I'd eat anything if needed.
call me rabies
atheist
pretty sad tbh
she/her
rabiesheir

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes