Thoughts on exotic pets?

Share your real pet photos and stories, tell us about your fav species, promote wildlife causes, or discuss animal welfare

Thoughts on exotic pets?

Postby b(l)inged » Mon Oct 23, 2017 10:22 am

From tigers to sugar gliders, what are your thoughts on people keeping (and breeding) exotic pets? I know owning monkeys .etc. is pretty controversial, so that's why I thought I'd make a bit of a debate topic, I suppose. Should it be legal, or do all wild animals belong in the wild and so on? Share your opinions here.
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
She/her pronouns.
PMs are always open
if you wanna talk.

art stop credit
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
b(l)inged

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Re: Thoughts on exotic pets?

Postby distressed_piglet » Mon Oct 23, 2017 10:30 am

I think that exotic pets are fine to keep, as long as you are aware of what they need and what kinds of precautions that need to take place. For example, when owning large animals such as bears, lions, tigers, etc., you are going to need a way to make sure the animal feels secure, otherwise it might become dangerous. When owning exotic pets, such as monkeys, it is also important to know their diets, behaviors, and characteristics. Owning an exotic pet, as well as any pet, is not an easy thing to do. You need to know the tools to care for it, as well as the knowledge to take care of it. Basically, what I am saying is it is fine to have exotic pets, just be sure you know what you are doing.
distressed_piglet

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby IHaveHooves » Mon Oct 23, 2017 10:31 am

I think that as long as it's legal, people treat the pets right (this includes enclosures/living environment ect), and the pets are safe to be around for the most part, it's perfectly fine. I would like to own an exotic pet myself, like a fennec fox. (but they are loooouuuudd) Experience with animals is also important too.
(づ。◕‿‿◕。)づ
Non-binary, they/them

Curious about the dolls?
Feel free to pm me!

IHaveHooves

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby the.paper.rabbit » Mon Oct 23, 2017 10:33 am

I think it really depends on the animal and the person who wants to own said animal. Sugar gliders are pretty common as far as exotic pets go and are fairly "safe" to own. I think, as long as the person can properly care for them, it's fine for people to have them; same goes for things like hedgehogs and other small animals like that.
Tigers, lions, monkeys, etc I think really shouldn't be owned as a pet. If someone wants to have a sanctuary or something and has the space and funds for it AND knows how to care for the animals then, by all means, do everything you can to make them feel secure and cared for. Certain animals aren't meant to be pets (in my opinion).
the.paper.rabbit

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby wlw » Mon Oct 23, 2017 10:33 am

The only ones I have a particularly strong opinion on are big cats and wolves.

Big cats (tigers, lions, cougars, etc etc) are wild creatures and are not suited at all to domestic living. Only acceptable scenario are organizations that foster them when they're injured/unable to return to the wild for their own safety. They will be unhappy and not suited to practically any environment you could offer them. Pretty much the same thing with wolves. Domesticating a wolf is extremely dangerous, and they are not cute little dogs that are just slightly more aggressive than your German Shepherd. They are wild animals.

Smaller animals, such as sugar gliders and what not, are fine imo.

simon - she/he | art thread
wlw

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby peaches_ » Mon Oct 23, 2017 10:34 am

^ I agree with distressed_piglet. Also I think that certain exotic animals should not be allowed to be kept as pets (such as dangerous/hard to care for animals). Or some pets should have a certain test of some sort you have to take to own it?
Image Image Image
peaches_

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby vein » Mon Oct 23, 2017 10:35 am

As everybody else says, as long as you know what the animal needs to live comfortably I'm not against it.
That being said, there are a lot of people who adopt exotics for the novelty of it and don't respect them for what they are- an animal with complex behaviors and instincts. Most people who have animals such as wolves, lions, foxes, etc. have proper licensing to be able to provide a sanctuary/living space for the animal and it should definitely stay that way.

lee | they |
some sort of creature
i like rats & jellycat plushes
looking for c$ & 2014 egypt starry calf
-
vein

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby MoonfallTheFox » Tue Oct 24, 2017 2:01 pm

I'm in a grey area. I don't think that large parrots belong in captivity, but those that are here deserve homes and families (thus, I own a rescue parrot). I don't think large reptiles do either. Yet I own a large lizard, also a rescue.

So many of them end up neglected. Mistreated. In rescues. I am the rescue who takes them and tries to save them. Do I think they should be totally illegal? No. But I don't think Joe Public really should have them, and I think they need to be harder to get.
Moonfall // He/Him // ©
"No one deserves my world quite like you do
And it's true, I hate everything but you."
Amigo The Devil
Gif by BronzeHalo
MoonfallTheFox

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Canis2954 » Wed Oct 25, 2017 1:51 pm

Dogs and cats are domesticated for the purpose of captivity. They have been bred to interact especially with humans, and adapt to our living environment with ease. Exotic animals don't have that luxury of thousands of years of adapting to be comfortable around us. Sugar gliders, parrots, etc should never be kept in homes, unless they are kept in enclosures that are sufficiently spacious enough for their species. I probably mean an enclosure that is bigger than you think; parrots fly for miles in the wild. A ten foot cage is not enough.
Last edited by Canis2954 on Wed Oct 25, 2017 1:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Canis2954

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby foxxbreath » Wed Oct 25, 2017 1:53 pm

If you can offer the animal the best care and best life you can, have done the research, can afford and handle it long term, etc. I see nothing wrong with it

However, if you get one just cause you think thwyre cute or don't look into the work you need to do to provide for them....dont get a petat all, let alone an exotic that'll need a special vet and other thinga
    ImageImage
    𝕭𝖊 𝖔𝖓 𝖙𝖍𝖊 𝖘𝖎𝖉𝖊 𝖙𝖍𝖆𝖙 𝖘𝖆𝖛𝖊𝖘 𝖕𝖊𝖔𝖕𝖑𝖊

𝕭𝖊𝖈𝖔𝖒𝖊 𝖆 𝖌𝖔𝖔𝖉 𝖒𝖆𝖓

ImageImage
ImageImage

ImageImage
foxxbreath

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes