Thoughts about pitbulls/pit chat!

Share your real pet photos and stories, tell us about your fav species, promote wildlife causes, or discuss animal welfare

Click if you ...

Are scared of them
9%
Would own one
60%
Have one
19%
Know anyone who has one?
13%

Total votes : 998

Re: Thoughts about pitbulls/pit chat!

Postby orchid.dreams » Thu Oct 12, 2017 12:02 am

She is! Hah!
orchid.dreams

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby SaraCO2013 » Thu Oct 19, 2017 4:38 pm

Trying to teach Envy to howl at the moment since she is very vocal, pretty fun!

Having an issue atm with molly. She has always done this and it has never bothered me until lately. When she is on her tie out in the day and I go to let her off for her evening run in the woods she gets overly excited and nips me. I know there is a term for this but I forgot what it was called. She has always done this but not so much actually nipping me, I will tell her to sit to un-clip the tie out and as im reaching down she usually does a few, what I call, "air nips" where she just nips the air. They arent aggressive nips where she is intentionally trying to inflict pain or anything she is just really excited. Sometimes she will jump around doing it before she settles down and sits. But lately she has actually nipped me a few times, not hard enough to break skin but it does bruise a little. I know she is excited to get let off to go chase rabbits and hunt oppossums but getting nipped sucks lol. Anyone know how I could correct it? I've been telling her "no" when she does the nipping in the air and kinda scolding her when she does make contact with my hand but im not sure if there is another way to curb this?
SaraCO2013

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby maninkari » Thu Oct 19, 2017 5:02 pm

SaraCO2013 wrote:Trying to teach Envy to howl at the moment since she is very vocal, pretty fun!

Having an issue atm with molly. She has always done this and it has never bothered me until lately. When she is on her tie out in the day and I go to let her off for her evening run in the woods she gets overly excited and nips me. I know there is a term for this but I forgot what it was called. She has always done this but not so much actually nipping me, I will tell her to sit to un-clip the tie out and as im reaching down she usually does a few, what I call, "air nips" where she just nips the air. They arent aggressive nips where she is intentionally trying to inflict pain or anything she is just really excited. Sometimes she will jump around doing it before she settles down and sits. But lately she has actually nipped me a few times, not hard enough to break skin but it does bruise a little. I know she is excited to get let off to go chase rabbits and hunt oppossums but getting nipped sucks lol. Anyone know how I could correct it? I've been telling her "no" when she does the nipping in the air and kinda scolding her when she does make contact with my hand but im not sure if there is another way to curb this?

Try working on impulse control maybe. When she's really excited and you have a toy, have her sit before she can play. My girl does the same thing, she's a little shark, we call the air nipping "alligator snaps" because it sounds like a small alligator. What I did, was I would stand with the toy away from her until she calmed down and sat, and then she'd get to play. Slowly work towards more and more difficult tasks, like holding the toy closer to her (but not close enough to make her uncomfortable), having her look at you instead of the toy when it's in front of her, and even dropping the toy on the floor.
When practicing this on the tie out, don't un-clip her until she stops nipping. Say "good job!" or whatever positive phrase you use when she calms down and you un-clip her so she has some good reinforcement.
heck
maninkari

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby pizzas and scream » Fri Oct 20, 2017 7:43 am

anyone here can take a guess on what they think is the number of people who have misbelief's in the breeds origen? without trying hard to make a world wide, 8 month long data collection to try to get some statics?

I saw one facebook comment that was new, that the breed was created by royalty to be baby sitters/guardians

and just the thing about them "being created for that" how does "let's breed a terrier(weren't a lot of children getting nipped by their Jack Russles when everyone wanted teir own "Wishbone"?) to a fighting dog to be a baby sitter"
LF pet to be ||Kimmy Shmit|Roy Mustang||Ban Midou|jason mendoza(the good place)|maes hughes|Krylancelo Finrandi|
-----------------------------
older than an embryo
Adopt virtual pets at Chicken Smoothie!
pizzas and scream

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby cornspurrd. » Fri Oct 20, 2017 10:50 am

My grandma has gotten too old to take care of her staffie.

her staffie is really old and probably won't ever be adopted, She'll most likley be put down.

I am really really upset but we can't take her... We don't have the money and we can't risk our dogs attacking her.

I don't wan't her to be in harms way, I love her!
Smile and wave...
cornspurrd.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Saracirce » Fri Oct 20, 2017 12:25 pm

@Rattielover: I was in a very similar position 3 years ago only it was a dog I grew up with and we'd had since puppyhood. It was a dog who was extremely special to me and who was helping me a ton with my depression. I stood up to my mom and put my foot down that she was going to be put down because rehoming her or sending her to a shelter would have been cruel. She was already declining due to age and she had a lot of behavioral problems. The anniversary of her death was actually three days ago and it still hurt. But I 110% know that putting her down was the right decision for her and I have no regrets at all.

Euthanasia is not a bad ending.
"Only ignorance! Only ignorance! How can you talk about only ignorance? Don't you know that it is the worst thing in the world, next to wickedness? - and which does the most mischief, heaven only knows. If people can say 'Oh! I did not know, I did not mean any harm,' they think it is all right."
~ Black Beauty by Anna Sewell
Saracirce

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby maninkari » Fri Oct 20, 2017 1:07 pm

Faffy the FauxFox wrote:anyone here can take a guess on what they think is the number of people who have misbelief's in the breeds origen? without trying hard to make a world wide, 8 month long data collection to try to get some statics?

I saw one facebook comment that was new, that the breed was created by royalty to be baby sitters/guardians

and just the thing about them "being created for that" how does "let's breed a terrier(weren't a lot of children getting nipped by their Jack Russles when everyone wanted teir own "Wishbone"?) to a fighting dog to be a baby sitter"

Who wouldn't look at this face and think, "man, I want this to watch my child".

heck
maninkari

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby orchid.dreams » Fri Oct 20, 2017 1:23 pm

So today Zahara got into my dirty clothes pile. It was a total mess! She dragged most of my clothes into either the bathroom (luckily not into the toilet) and in the kitchen. She's a real nice helper am I right?
orchid.dreams

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Fierce Wings » Fri Oct 20, 2017 3:20 pm

Ooh! A thread exclusively for Pits?! Nice! My older sister found a box of 7 puppies on the side of the road a few months ago. They're Pitbull mixes but I don't know what with. We're thinking about getting their DNA tested. We kept two little females and gave the others to a wonderful rescue. ^^ We named them June and Clementine. June looks the most like a tiny Pit but Clementine looks more like a Jack Russell or Feist. XD

ImageImage
Clementine was nearly the size of my hand when we found them. They had a pretty bad case of the mange and were severely malnurished. Clem was the runt and she's mine, while June is my sister's dog. They've gotten so big already so they look a bit different from the pics now. And their fur has completely grown back! Mange free and in loving, forever homes! They are having trouble learning how to use the pads and love shredding toilet paper. XD

ImageImageImageImageImage

The three on the top are Dingo, Jack, and Grumpy.
Then the other two are Bingo and Ringo. ^^
Brooke • Female• She/Her • Asperger's • Discord: stormie_nightz
Socially anxious and awkward Loves making friends
Anime and otome lover Fandoms live in my head rent free
Heterosexual Biromantic Autistic Extremely lonely
Fierce Wings

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby taurus ; » Mon Oct 23, 2017 1:14 pm

Yeah, I would get them DNA tested...
They look like some kind of terrier to me.
☆ kenya|she/her|istj|adult player
(simply vibing, that's it <3)
taurus ;

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me