Where do you draw the line?

Share your real pet photos and stories, tell us about your fav species, promote wildlife causes, or discuss animal welfare

Where do you draw the line?

Postby larki-darki » Sat Aug 26, 2017 12:54 pm

When it comes to eating animals, that is. I'm genuinely curious. I know some cultures, for example, don't eat pork, others don't eat cow and so on, so where do you draw the line? What is socially acceptable to eat where you live & what is taboo? Would you eat a dog? How do you feel about shark meat? And so on. Discuss!

*Bit of a weird topic, I know.
larki-darki

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Re: Where do you draw the line?

Postby BudgieLover5000 » Sat Aug 26, 2017 1:16 pm

Well, I'm a Muslim, so I don't eat pork ;O; I've tried substitutes for pork products though, like turkey pepperoni and turkey bacon. We mostly eat lamb, duck, cow, turkey, etc. etc. etc. I dunno if other people do, but we also eat different parts of the cow than just the meat (like cow hooves and tongue). Some taboo things are alcohol, pork (mentioned above), and birds of prey.
BudgieLover5000

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby CarbonatedWeasel, » Sun Aug 27, 2017 2:07 pm

I mainly eat cow, pork, rabbit, fish, chicken, turkey, lamb, etc.
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Yea, my family draws the line at canines, felines, mustelids, rodents, etc. Eating any of those things isn't accepted around here and isn't tolerated by my family.

ImageImage

ImageImage

ImageImage

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
xxxHey, I'm Weasel.
xxxFeel free to shoot
xxxme a pm!

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
CarbonatedWeasel,

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby hedera.❤. » Mon Aug 28, 2017 5:16 am

i don't eat red meat
but in my country they eat warthog and ostrich! ostrich is actually good but i cant think of harming the poor cute warthog
hedera.❤.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Headzipper » Mon Aug 28, 2017 5:19 am

In my country, the line is drawn when it comes to frogs, canines and felines. I once said I'd like to try eating a dog and I got so many weird looks that I felt I may have to turn my head around exorcist style to catch their hanging jaws and confused glares lmao

miki || she/her || bosnian
I'm a very friendly loudmouth ig
hmu if you want to chat/trade
taron egerton is the love of my life thanks
x - o - x

--Image--
Headzipper

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby maninkari » Mon Aug 28, 2017 9:53 am

I draw the line at anything cruel or endangering to a species. I've eaten coyote before, not sure I could stomach domesticated dog though. No, I don't think I would eat dog, I'm fine with coyote because they're shot to protect livestock and there's no reason to waste any of an animal, but I don't see a dog raised for meat being treated well. Goes for cows, pigs, chickens, etc. too. I'd rather buy from local farms or butcher my own animals so I know they weren't mistreated just to be put on my plate.
Any endangered animals I am against eating for the obvious reason that they'll go extinct.
heck
maninkari

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby taurus ; » Wed Aug 30, 2017 12:37 pm

Pigs, cats and dogs and endangered animals.

Pigs-

First off, I am a very religious person, so why would I eat pork when it says directly in the Bible not to ??? I was born into by religion(Jewish), but my opinion on pigs is purely my own. My family would never speak bad of pigs, only never touch or eat the flesh of one was said, so my opinion is not influenced by my religion.

Here:

"…the pig, because it parts the hoof and is cloven-footed but does not chew the cud, is unclean to you. You shall not eat any of their flesh, and you shall not touch their carcasses; they are unclean to you."(Leviticus 11:7–8)
Pigs are also scavengers, they will willingly eat rotting, magot infested bodies, the same as a vulture would. The way that animals are raised and harvested for human consumption in the US, there is no doubt that the pigs are eating the dead bodies of others.

Farmers have even stated that it pays to keep hogs as they can throw any animal that has died to them and they will eat and rid of it and that they will follow up on the other animals(specifically cattle) and eat their excretion(less cleaning) and then after all that there are still people willing to buy and eat their meat.

Cats and dogs-

I believe that there at certain animals that were domesticated for companionship and there were animals domesticated for consumption. This definitely varies in different parts of the world, but where I live dogs and cats are beloved pets and are seen as apart of one's family and nothing less. I could never eat the meat of either one.
No bashing on people that do eat cats and dogs though, it is proven that they do have a sense of morals as many people who go out and eat cats and dogs have one at home, that they love.

I watched a documentary where a woman and her husband ran a food shop where they specialized in dog meat, but in the back of their shop was a dog chained and the woman went over petted him and said that he was apart of their family. That she was going to slaughter him but she asked him 'Do you want to come with me?' and the puppy walked right out of the cage and ran up to her and she's had and loved him since.
The documentary was specifically about people snatching dogs for human consumption and she said that she would be heart broken if someone stole her dog and ate him.

It's not purely based on this, but that story is one of the reasons why I NEVER judge anybody based of the meat that they chose to eat. I'm not one of those people who are like 'if you eat this or that you have no heart'.

Endangered animals-

Really no explaination needed here.
☆ kenya|she/her|istj|adult player
(simply vibing, that's it <3)
taurus ;

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Hot Dad » Fri Sep 01, 2017 8:15 am

In England it's common to eat: pig, cow, lamb, fish, turkey, chicken
Less common are: Rabbit and horse
Usually drawing the line at: Dogs, cats, insects

Depends on the place, as in Australia there's kangaroo, wild boar and such burgers.
In some places where meat is more scarce they'll eat bugs.

I personally stick to chicken or fish meat wise. As i'm sort of going peskatarian. i'd never try cat, dog, lamb, rabbit, or horse - because i have connected with these animals. where as i'd try other things.
┌──────────┐

└──────────┘Howdy boys. surprise! Papa Bless, everyone go and love me, yhupppo......
┌──────────┐
└──────────┘
┌──────────┐
└──────────┘
Hot Dad

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Pyjaks » Fri Sep 01, 2017 5:37 pm

I don't eat any meat. Something sorta clicked in my brain a while ago that when I eat meat, I'm eating an animal. I know that sounds weird but it just hit me and I couldn't do it anymore.

Admittedly I don't feel exactly the same way about fish and shrimp, which was why I was pescetarian for a while, but then I learned that the fishing industry has really awful effects on other sea animals like turtles and Dolphins. So no more of that meat either, lol.

Someone posed the question to me a while back- would I eat insects if I had the chance? Tbh I don't know. I don't feel empathy towards insects in the same way that I do mammals and certain types of sea animals. But I've also started to adopt the whole idea of "all animal life is precious", even if it's animal life that I find pesky and gross. Ultimately I probably wouldn't eat them because then I'd have to give up my title of being vegetarian and I'm too far deep for that LOL

ANYHOW, I guess I don't really have a line to draw.
Pyjaks

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Kleinkat » Wed Sep 06, 2017 8:01 am

I draw the line at cannibalism.
About me: