{ INKLINGS v.4 } A Thread For Writers

Are you a writer or a poet? Come and share your creations with us, or discuss writing techniques with others
Forum rules
Please only post your own original work, do not post poetry or stories which were written by someone else.

Re: { INKLINGS v.4 } A Thread For Writers

Postby bunnyflashwing » Fri Aug 11, 2017 6:29 am

bunnyflashwing wrote:I'm never active on here ;-;
Sorry about that, I've just been very busy lately and it's hard to keep up with CS!
I came up with (what I feel like is) one of my best story ideas yet!

It's about a russian spy who's sent to the US to spy on someone who is suspected to have been a mass murderer.
The russian spy joins an LGBT club to be around his target more frequently. He goes in as bisexual, as his target is also bi and it would optimize their time together.
But as time goes on he actually settles down into his position in the club and suspects that he might actually have more reason to be there than his mission.
After some time he realizes he might actually have an interest for a male in the club. Though this may be a bit of a problem, it is the 2000's and the figures he can deal with being gay. But that's not the real problem.
The problem?
It's the target.

So that's my idea, I know it sounds a bit cliché, but I really want to try writing it.
Whenever I start to write something there's always one fatal mistake that I make. I never actually plan out events or characters and just jump headfirst into it.
Now you guys come in. I wanted to know if any of you have anything that you can add to this story?
Anything from character's names to even completely changing bits of the story.
Anything that's bolded is already decided, but feel free to send in a suggestion and if I like it more, I'll change the idea!
Anything that is underlined is something I'm still thinking about and would really appreciate getting ideas for.
Thanks for listening,
-Flashwing

Still up for any ideas. Sorry that I had to repost but I went to India for a month or so ;-;
❛ ━━━━━━・❪ ☙ ❫ ・━━━━━━ ❜
★·.·★ ᴠᴇᴇ | sʜᴇ/ʜᴇʀ | ᴄᴀɴᴀᴅᴀ ★·.·★

╔═══*.·:·.☽✧ ✦ ✧☾.·:·.*═══╗
𝑔𝒾𝓇𝓁𝓈 𝓁𝑜𝓋𝑒 𝑔𝒾𝓇𝓁𝓈 𝒶𝓃𝒹 𝒷𝑜𝓎𝓈
ᴀɴᴅ ʟᴏᴠᴇ ɪs ɴᴏᴛ ᴀ ᴄʜᴏɪᴄᴇ

╚═══*.·:·.☽✧ ✦ ✧☾.·:·.*═══╝

➸ 𝚓𝚞𝚜𝚝 𝚊 𝚋𝚒 𝚜𝚊𝚢𝚒𝚗𝚐 𝚑𝚒
➸ 𝚊𝚟𝚒𝚍 𝚟𝚒𝚌𝚝𝚒𝚗𝚒 𝚕𝚘𝚟𝚎𝚛
➸ 𝚏𝚊𝚗𝚏𝚒𝚌 𝚠𝚛𝚒𝚝𝚎𝚛 & 𝚜𝚑𝚒𝚙𝚙𝚎𝚛

↪ 𝙙𝙧𝙖𝙧𝙧𝙮
↪ 𝙨𝙣𝙤𝙬𝙗𝙖𝙯
↪ 𝙙𝙚𝙨𝙩𝙞𝙚𝙡
↪ 𝙟𝙤𝙝𝙣𝙡𝙤𝙘𝙠
↪ 𝙢𝙪𝙘𝙝 𝙢𝙤𝙧𝙚

➸ 𝚖𝚎𝚜𝚜𝚊𝚐𝚎 𝚖𝚎 𝚠𝚑𝚎𝚗𝚎𝚟𝚎𝚛
❛ ━━━━━━・❪ ☙ ❫ ・━━━━━━ ❜
bunnyflashwing

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby blackbird. » Fri Aug 11, 2017 4:45 pm

The Succulent Queen wrote:Hey so... I have a question.

What gives y'all inspiration for what y'all want to write about?

(Also- does anyone here write any sort of like films or musicals? For one of my school classes I'm trying to write a musical once I can figure out what about..)

i get my inspiration from themes! so i look at themes and kind of branch ideas from there. like the one i'm working on now is based on the theme of morality, and it's about the ambiguity between good and evil; and another one i'm thinking of is about sacrifice and love; and other on redemption (personally i love the theme of redemption)!

i wrote a script for my school musical! it's kind of like a 'slice of life' school-based musical.
      i'm writing another one just for fun, but this one's (potentially) about cultural isolation and growing up.

@bunnyflashwing
      sounds like a really interesting idea!
      i don't really have much to add to the plot,
      but i'd just encourage you to stay away from cliches.
      keep things realistic,
      do your research,
      and throw in the 'american dream' and 'freedom' rubbish
      and you'll probably be good!
      let me know if/when you'll be writing it
      i'd love to read it ^^
blackbird.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Musicality » Fri Aug 11, 2017 4:51 pm

@ Bunny

What if instead of it being a mass murderer it's another spy or someone with information the other needs so they end up "spying" on each other witch causes them to both end up liking each other? I don't really know ^^; If you do stay with the mass murderer I would for sure make sure to show why the russians would be getting involved secretly and how come the US wouldn't suspect the Russians coming to spy on the other. If that makes sense? I dunno if it will, I am half asleep after all XD

@BlackBird

Oooh, that's a good idea as well..
Do you have any advice for writing a musical?
❊❃❊❃❊❃❊❃❊❃❊❃❊❃❊❃❊❃❊❃❊❃❊❃❊❃❊❃❊❃❊❃❊❃❊❃❊❃❊❃❊❃❊❃❊❃❊❃❊❃❊❃❊❃❊❃❊❃❊❃❊❃❊❃❊❃❊❃❊❃❊❃❊❃❊❃❊❃❊❃❊❃❊❃❊❃❊❃❊
I adore cats, musicals (esp. If/Then),
singing, and chatting it up with new people!

Hey everyone! I'm Musicality!
I used to be "The Succulent Queen". <3

❊❃❊❃❊❃❊❃❊❃❊❃❊❃❊❃❊❃❊❃❊❃❊❃❊❃❊❃❊❃❊❃❊❃❊❃❊❃❊❃❊❃❊❃❊❃❊❃❊❃❊❃❊❃❊❃❊❃❊❃❊❃❊❃❊❃❊❃❊❃❊❃❊❃❊❃❊❃❊❃❊❃❊❃❊❃❊❃❊
Musicality

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby ~Teya~ » Fri Aug 11, 2017 5:57 pm

The Succulent Queen wrote:Hey so... I have a question.

What gives y'all inspiration for what y'all want to write about?

(Also- does anyone here write any sort of like films or musicals? For one of my school classes I'm trying to write a musical once I can figure out what about..)

I personally haven't written any films or musicals, because frankly I think I'd suck at it xD

And for your first question, well, I almost always write my stories for species called viscets, so my stories always revolve around a viscet or many vsicets, it may sound weird that I've never actually come up with how the character is going to look / their species, because I adopt the species (usually through stories, which is really fun!) I try to look at the viscet I have a connection with, I write down basic character traits and figure out a name, personally I believe names are extremely important, and I frequently use foreign words, a lot of the time it relates to their design and/or colors.
I also look at the character for how I think they will basically act, will they be bad? good?
once I decide that, will they be shy? outgoing? adventurous? a rebel?
do they have parents, if so, are they different from them, if so, how? if they don't have parents, why?
do they have any friends, or are they a social outcast?
Also, I think, where do they live? are there cars? only horses? are there humans? what is the setting? desert? jungle? forest? islands?
Do they have powers? Are they cursed? ;o Do they stand out from the rest for a certain reason, or are they somewhat ignored?
*takes a deep breath*
and MOST importantly, what is the obstacle they are facing and who are their enemies? or their life is perfect now, but not for long? (; What are their personal weaknesses and strengths?
You have to figure all this stuff out or a main character especially, and work your way around their friends, family, etc, hope this helps? Sorry I was totally rambling lol

So in short, I get inspiration from the form I have to use to win the viscet and the viscet design itself c: you can get super caught up with that stuff ;0;
Sherlock, Downton Abbey, Once Upon a Time, Supernatural, Psych, and Doctor Who NERD. My Viscets RP
Image Image Image
I'm also a Viscet nerd c: If you haven't heard of them click here and tell them I referred you please ^-^
Check out my NEW and improved Art Shop! My prices are still negotiable c:
My WIP story, ♛ The Prince, ⚔ the Soldier, & the Gifted ☀ #2 <3
~Teya~

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby blackbird. » Sat Aug 12, 2017 3:27 am

The Succulent Queen wrote:@BlackBird

Oooh, that's a good idea as well..
Do you have any advice for writing a musical?

get a good composer!
      haha honestly good musical numbers make a good musical
      and keep in mind that the songs should be connected in some way
      so have recurring musical 'motifs' and stuff.
      with regards to writing, i'd say keep in mind
      that the audience doesn't remember very much
      subtlety is difficult on a stage
      especially when people are sitting 50km away or something.
      blocking and script are most important
      facial expressions, not so much
      also, if you're making it a production,
      keep the budget in mind!
      productions are expensive stuff.
      uh yeah that's in general.
      if you have any specific stuff just ask away c:
blackbird.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby The Worst Username » Wed Aug 23, 2017 2:57 am

Oy vey! If this thread isn't dead, I don't know what is. Have some questions.

Code: Select all
[b]How have your important experiences (moving to a new country, going to college, getting a new job, et cetera) affected your writing?[/b]

[b]What's the best magic system, alien race, or fantasy species you've created?[/b]

[b]In your opinion, what's the best world you've built?[/b]

[b]Do any writers or books in particular inspire you?[/b]

[b]Are there any writing styles you try or have tried to emulate?[/b]
yeet
The Worst Username

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby SilentMelody » Wed Aug 23, 2017 4:56 am

wow, i haven't been here in a long time, but i'll answer questions anyways to get into the hang out it again.

how have your important experiences (moving to a new country, going to college, getting a new job, et cetera) affected your writing?
    well, i'm currently starting up a healthcare class in school, and it's taking up most of my time. to be honest, i haven't been able to write much other than simple roleplay lines or kalon entries.

what's the best magic system, alien race, or fantasy species you've created?
    there was one time where i wrote a book about a girl who could turn into a wolf because of a curse placed upon her by her father, but i didn't write very much about the system. i hadn't gotten that far into the book before giving up.

in your opinion, what's the best world you've built?
    (again from the book with the girl who could turn into a wolf): i drew out a map of the camp for the pack of wolves that took the girl in, and i thought it was very nice. there were separate dens for each rank and specific places for where they would meet and such.

do any writers or books in particular inspire you?
    ellen hopkins and robin talley have inspired me very much. in fact, they're the ones who pushed me to use more descriptions and figure out the plot more before putting a pen to paper.

are there any writing styles you try or have tried to emulate?
    i try to emulate ellen hopkins' writing (i absolutely love her free-verse poems), but it usually doesn't sound or look as nice as the ones that she has in her books. besides, i struggle a bit with plot already, so putting it into poem form just makes it a little bit harder for me.
mel | adult | she/her | bi

toyhouse - silentmelody
discord - silent.melody
deviantart - mutedmelodies

RBT in ABA therapy for autism
B.S. in psychological sciences
artist, reader/writer, roleplayer

starting on March 27th
active on site until then!

SilentMelody

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby TheSongOfTheStars » Wed Aug 23, 2017 7:55 am

How have your important experiences (moving to a new country, going to college, getting a new job, et cetera) affected your writing?
Idk? I've never had a whole lot of important experiences.
What's the best magic system, alien race, or fantasy species you've created?
I have some photosynthetic elves I'm kinda proud of.
In your opinion, what's the best world you've built?
The Third Verse. I've spent so much time working especially on the talking animal side of the world and I love it so much.
Do any writers or books in particular inspire you?
Brian Jacques and his Redwall series made a big impact on what I write about and J.R.R. Tolkien and LOTR gave me an idea of what sort of books and characters I'd like to write.
Are there any writing styles you try or have tried to emulate?
Same as above I suppose.

If crediting me for art/character design then please use TheSongOfTheStars on Toyhou.se
or FiveSecondsToFly on deviantart for anywhere else
TheSongOfTheStars

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby frankie (dup) » Wed Aug 23, 2017 8:13 am

In your opinion, what's the best world you've built?

I haven't built many worlds, but I'd have to say the Raven Rise world. I have so much planned for it that I can't just dump into the story.

Do any writers or books in particular inspire you?
The works of J.K Rowling and Rick Riordan inspire me

Are there any writing styles you try or have tried to emulate?
I don't usually try to emulate styles, but sometimes the styles of others bleed into my own.
my dms are open,
but im a spoonie
and i may not
respond promptly.
it's not personal.
especially hmu if
you want to talk
about atla,
im autistic and its
been my special
interest for like.
a bajillion years.
➤ they/it lesbian
➤ canadian eh
➤ gay zuko
truther /lh
➤ please use
tonetags!
➤ feel free to ask for
my discord if we've
talked before
➤ help idk how to
make this pretty
frankie (dup)

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Captain Peregrin » Wed Aug 23, 2017 10:14 am

how have your important experiences (moving to a new country, going to college, getting a new job, et cetera) affected your writing?
Weirdly enough, dropping out of college was the best thing that ever happened to my writing xD I knew from my time in college that I wanted to write, but since I no longer had any "official" outlets for it, I decided to start journaling. One thing led to another, and now I have my blog!

do any writers or books in particular inspire you?
I could make a list a mile long, but here are three off the top of my head.
C.S. Lewis: I've always loved the Narnia books, and he's just great at saying a lot with words few and simple.
The Last Unicorn (Peter S. Beagle): I feel kinda bad for never reading any of Beagle's other works, but this book is just so perfect that I never felt the need to. It was the first book I read that really made me want to slow down and enjoy the ride instead of tearing through the book in a day and a night.
Alyssa Wilkinson: I first encountered her as the entertainment editor for Christianity Today, and she kind of gave me hope for modern Christian writers. She's an insightful film critic who can bring her faith to bear without being dismissive and judgemental. It just makes me happy that someone like her can make a living doing what she loves.

are there any writing styles you try or have tried to emulate?
Well I've certainly emulated Lewis a lot, both intentionally and unintentionally xD
Captain Peregrin

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me