{ INKLINGS v.4 } A Thread For Writers

Are you a writer or a poet? Come and share your creations with us, or discuss writing techniques with others
Forum rules
Please only post your own original work, do not post poetry or stories which were written by someone else.

Re: { INKLINGS v.4 } A Thread For Writers

Postby SilentMelody » Wed Aug 23, 2017 4:56 am

wow, i haven't been here in a long time, but i'll answer questions anyways to get into the hang out it again.

how have your important experiences (moving to a new country, going to college, getting a new job, et cetera) affected your writing?
    well, i'm currently starting up a healthcare class in school, and it's taking up most of my time. to be honest, i haven't been able to write much other than simple roleplay lines or kalon entries.

what's the best magic system, alien race, or fantasy species you've created?
    there was one time where i wrote a book about a girl who could turn into a wolf because of a curse placed upon her by her father, but i didn't write very much about the system. i hadn't gotten that far into the book before giving up.

in your opinion, what's the best world you've built?
    (again from the book with the girl who could turn into a wolf): i drew out a map of the camp for the pack of wolves that took the girl in, and i thought it was very nice. there were separate dens for each rank and specific places for where they would meet and such.

do any writers or books in particular inspire you?
    ellen hopkins and robin talley have inspired me very much. in fact, they're the ones who pushed me to use more descriptions and figure out the plot more before putting a pen to paper.

are there any writing styles you try or have tried to emulate?
    i try to emulate ellen hopkins' writing (i absolutely love her free-verse poems), but it usually doesn't sound or look as nice as the ones that she has in her books. besides, i struggle a bit with plot already, so putting it into poem form just makes it a little bit harder for me.
mel | adult | she/her | bi

toyhouse - silentmelody
admin/staff for dcay on cs

RBT in ABA therapy for autism
B.S. in psychological sciences

low activity, but i still check my pms!
SilentMelody

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby TheSongOfTheStars » Wed Aug 23, 2017 7:55 am

How have your important experiences (moving to a new country, going to college, getting a new job, et cetera) affected your writing?
Idk? I've never had a whole lot of important experiences.
What's the best magic system, alien race, or fantasy species you've created?
I have some photosynthetic elves I'm kinda proud of.
In your opinion, what's the best world you've built?
The Third Verse. I've spent so much time working especially on the talking animal side of the world and I love it so much.
Do any writers or books in particular inspire you?
Brian Jacques and his Redwall series made a big impact on what I write about and J.R.R. Tolkien and LOTR gave me an idea of what sort of books and characters I'd like to write.
Are there any writing styles you try or have tried to emulate?
Same as above I suppose.

If crediting me for art/character design then please use TheSongOfTheStars on Toyhou.se
or FiveSecondsToFly on deviantart for anywhere else
TheSongOfTheStars

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby frankie (dup) » Wed Aug 23, 2017 8:13 am

I haven't built many worlds, but I'd have to say the Raven Rise world. I have so much planned for it that I can't just dump into the story.

The works of J.K Rowling and Rick Riordan inspire me

I don't usually try to emulate styles, but sometimes the styles of others bleed into my own.
my dms are open,
but im a spoonie
and i may not
respond promptly.
it's not personal.
especially hmu if
you want to talk
about atla,
im autistic and its
been my special
interest for like.
a bajillion years.
➤ they/it lesbian
➤ canadian eh
➤ gay zuko
truther /lh
➤ please use
tonetags!
➤ feel free to ask for
my discord if we've
talked before
➤ help idk how to
make this pretty
frankie (dup)

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Captain Peregrin » Wed Aug 23, 2017 10:14 am

how have your important experiences (moving to a new country, going to college, getting a new job, et cetera) affected your writing?
Weirdly enough, dropping out of college was the best thing that ever happened to my writing xD I knew from my time in college that I wanted to write, but since I no longer had any "official" outlets for it, I decided to start journaling. One thing led to another, and now I have my blog!

do any writers or books in particular inspire you?
I could make a list a mile long, but here are three off the top of my head.
C.S. Lewis: I've always loved the Narnia books, and he's just great at saying a lot with words few and simple.
The Last Unicorn (Peter S. Beagle): I feel kinda bad for never reading any of Beagle's other works, but this book is just so perfect that I never felt the need to. It was the first book I read that really made me want to slow down and enjoy the ride instead of tearing through the book in a day and a night.
Alyssa Wilkinson: I first encountered her as the entertainment editor for Christianity Today, and she kind of gave me hope for modern Christian writers. She's an insightful film critic who can bring her faith to bear without being dismissive and judgemental. It just makes me happy that someone like her can make a living doing what she loves.

are there any writing styles you try or have tried to emulate?
Well I've certainly emulated Lewis a lot, both intentionally and unintentionally xD
Captain Peregrin

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Greenleaf » Wed Aug 23, 2017 3:07 pm

My first thought went to the HERO universe, since it's an original story of mine and I have some powers and laws fleshed out. However, I would have to say that the best world I've built so far is one for an as of yet unwritten fanfic for Warriors. I created five Clans and their territories, customs, and traditions, and though it's fanfiction and may never see the light of day, I'm pretty proud of it. It's good world building practice, either way.

JRR Tolkien for sure. He was one of my first inspirations writing-wise. My interest in Middle-earth was rekindled recently and I now want to get back into writing fantasy, lol. PG Wodehouse's skills with dialogue and wordplay are also admirable.

Well, back when I first read LOTR in sixth grade I tried so hard to sound like Tolkien in my writing (needless to say, it all came out pretty pretentious lol). Then when I got into Sherlock Holmes in ninth grade, my writing kinda reflected that and I ended up with a suspicious amount of plans for nineteenth century era character partnerships. Then after I read Jeeves, a butler character of mine started talking an awful lot like a certain valet, and I'm now stuck trying to revise his language signatures to make him more of his own character, if that makes any sense.

In short, with every new book I got into, my writing has shifted to reflect it and pull ideas from it. The originality of my pieces is a thing I worry about because I find it really hard to come up with good ideas, and I end up relying too much on the already-published things I read. I'm working to change that. I would really just like to develop a personal (not to mention consistent) writing style.

-------'-'------
Chinese ● queer
bi ace ● musician

------------''--
--------------------
#BlackLivesMatter
click here.

--------------------
-----'--'-------
Li 立 ● she/ze ●
student ● writer

-------'----'---
Greenleaf

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby TheSongOfTheStars » Wed Aug 23, 2017 4:11 pm

I get that Greenleaf, but I think shifting styles is a huge part of finding a consistent voice. Each style you try out and move on from will affect what you end up settling with. And you might not end up with one, it may become more consistent, but it will vary from each piece you do. So I don't think you need to worry. Same goes for finding inspiration in other's works. A whole lot of my ideas come from a movie I found cool or a certain concept. The thing is to put it in your world and have your characters react to it in their own ways. And if you really like the idea rework it until you've made it your own. Everyone is inspired from someone or something else.

If crediting me for art/character design then please use TheSongOfTheStars on Toyhou.se
or FiveSecondsToFly on deviantart for anywhere else
TheSongOfTheStars

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Greenleaf » Wed Aug 23, 2017 4:30 pm

TheSongOfTheStars wrote:I get that Greenleaf, but I think shifting styles is a huge part of finding a consistent voice. Each style you try out and move on from will affect what you end up settling with. And you might not end up with one, it may become more consistent, but it will vary from each piece you do. So I don't think you need to worry. Same goes for finding inspiration in other's works. A whole lot of my ideas come from a movie I found cool or a certain concept. The thing is to put it in your world and have your characters react to it in their own ways. And if you really like the idea rework it until you've made it your own. Everyone is inspired from someone or something else.

:o I've actually never considered that before, but that is super true. Wow. I feel a lot better about my writing now. Thank you so much for the advice, I really appreciate it! ❤️

-------'-'------
Chinese ● queer
bi ace ● musician

------------''--
--------------------
#BlackLivesMatter
click here.

--------------------
-----'--'-------
Li 立 ● she/ze ●
student ● writer

-------'----'---
Greenleaf

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Ranger of the North » Wed Aug 23, 2017 7:48 pm

How have your important experiences (moving to a new country, going to college, getting a new job, et cetera) affected your writing?
Imo the hard experiences I've been through have helped me to portray emotions way better than I used to c:

Eeeee, the Alcunati are my favourite race so far :.DDD I won't say too much about them, since they appear in To Be Wild, but I just really really like the dudes; probably because they're the first proper basically-human race I've created, haha, and it's been an enjoyable experience C:

Prob'ly the ones I have yet to write about, set in AUs (sort of) of this world c:

Yup, definitely! The Hunger Games actually introduced me to/inspired me to try, writing in first-person! J.R.R. Tolkien's work fascinates me, too.

“There is nothing new under the sun.”
Of course; most make an impact :p
The world is quiet here.
Ranger of the North

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby minimire » Sat Aug 26, 2017 7:50 pm

it was for the book my friend and i are currently working on. it's the first time that i personally really went in depth into creating the history and everything like that. and those are the tribes found in our world. it is far from finished but i am very happy and pleased with what we have so far and the credit for culture goes to my friend since she's awesome at that part XD

i've only ever really built one. i mean i do have some very loose ideas on other worlds but never got time to really work on them. but i'm also really happy with what we have for the world. again, it's far from complete, we're actually still working on it and exploring what we can add as we work on the story

minimire

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby rose.bloom » Mon Aug 28, 2017 4:33 pm

hey guys! i'm bloom, and i've never posted on this thread before, but i'm a pretty avid writer!
(smol bragging section here) i have won multiple county wide awards for writing
and have won second and first in two state-wide contests! though
in the past two years i have been slacking a bit and
i'm hoping to get back on track this year!

tonight i sat down and wrote a little section of a story i might
actually do something with. the very general idea
came from both a song and a dream i had last night.
i forget what the song is called, but the lyrics go
"it's the suede denim secret police... they have
come for your uncool niece!"

anyways, it's a very broad general idea and really
doesn't have much of a plot to it yet (at least
i don't have any details planned out yet) but i'll
share with you what i've been thinking about! there
are two ways i was going about it so i'll share both
with you guys!

numero uno
basically this twelve year old girl grew up
and lives with her uncle (why is undecided at
the moment). her uncle did something bad
or was involved in something that is causing
the CIA to come after him. his niece, the girl,
is unaware. the problem is the CIA can't seem
to get any evidence to prove he was involved
so they can't arrest him, so they are trying
to arrest him for something smaller (i.e.
tax evasion, etc.). while on a trip to
new york, they find a reason to arrest them,
well, not the uncle, but the girl. they are hoping
that by arresting her they could get the uncle
to come forward, but the girl is basically
abandoned by her uncle and is plunged into
this whole mystery or whatever when she
only thought she was arrested for _________
(stealing a Popsicle or something, haha). she
ends up solving this mystery and what not
with the help of the prison guard she named
Tiny (because he wouldn't tell her his name).

numero dos
the girl and her uncle are both super-humans
(angels, elementals, etc. i have no clue yet) and
they (again) were involved in something that made
the CIA or some other government organization
or military seek them out. again the thing happens
with the arrest and they can only arrest the girl.
she sleeps in a high security base but during the day she
is accompanied by Tiny and other guards (and i would
like her to be able to go places accompanied by the guards
but i can't find a reason why they would let her.) i was
thinking that she started out trying to escape and
get back to her uncle, but realizes that her uncle
was actually bad and doing harm, not good. and then stuff
happens but obviously i haven't thought it through.

well, yah. it's late so obviously this is just what it
is but it's fun to just write for ten minutes, even if it
is just 673 words about the arrest of a twelve year old,
haha i seriously need help.
rose.bloom

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me