The Great Ferret Alliance

Share your real pet photos and stories, tell us about your fav species, promote wildlife causes, or discuss animal welfare

Re: The Great Ferret Alliance

Postby aeroz » Wed Feb 22, 2017 2:15 pm

Username;;
Blackfish

Own a ferret?;;
Yes!

Your ferret photo;;
I'll try and upload later! He's a sable with the cutest white patches on his eyebrows and his chest c:
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
aeroz (she/her)
just a boring lady with three cats (two are nakey) struggling through a phd

click images for credits
aeroz

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Enyo » Wed Mar 29, 2017 1:44 pm

Hello fellow ferrets lover!

I have a question. Do you know anything about allergies to ferrets, and what forms they can take?
Are they common, and are they often severe?
I really want to adopt a ferret, i love them, and I might get one in one month, but my father and my brother are allergic to cats and to some rodents, so i'm afraid they might be allergic to ferrets too... They are not allergic to dogs at all though, and some cats don't give them any allergic reactions (even if most cats do). Neither my father and my brother are living with me, I have my own flat, but I want them to be able to visit me without them having a severe asthma crisis...
I tried to go to a pet store with my father to make him a do a test, but they didn't have any ferret at this time...
Enyo

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby cswolf. » Thu Mar 30, 2017 6:44 am

Username;;
cswolf.

Own a ferret?;;
I wish :c

Your ferret photo;;
N/A
lurkin!

CATCHING UP MY REMAINING LOLO MESSAGES <3
THANKS ALL FOR VISITING ME :)
cswolf.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Enyo » Fri Apr 07, 2017 10:30 am

I'm bumping the subject.
So nobody know if allergies to ferrets are commons? As ferrets owner, did you met people who had bad allergic reactions to your fuzzies?
It's so hard to wait... Still one month before they have ferrets at the pet store, and the only allergoloigst we know apparently doesn't have test for ferret allergies... If I was sure I could adopt it (her, i'll probably take a female), I could prepare the home for her...

Edit: My father is NOT allergic, and I'm going to get my ferret in a one month from and 10 days from a ferret breeder. I've seen the first picture of my furry and her six brothers and sisters yesterday (though I don't now yet which one we'll be mine). I'm soooo happy :mrgreen:
Last edited by Enyo on Fri May 05, 2017 12:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Enyo

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby leiawolfe » Fri Apr 07, 2017 12:27 pm

I don't own a ferret, but I remember I was all about them when I was young,especially walking them! xD now I just think they would eat my bunny and budgie, but I still love 'em! :D
leah
australia
she/her
talk to me about anything and everything, my dms are always open !! sig is a wip ^^
leiawolfe

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Transkitty » Thu May 18, 2017 7:58 am

Just stopping by to drop some photos of Sony and Sega!

And just because it amuses me, some photos of my cage when I first got them, and a recent photo from a few days ago!
Before:

Now:
Transkitty

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby aeroz » Tue Jul 04, 2017 6:49 am

Enyo wrote:I'm bumping the subject.
So nobody know if allergies to ferrets are commons? As ferrets owner, did you met people who had bad allergic reactions to your fuzzies?
It's so hard to wait... Still one month before they have ferrets at the pet store, and the only allergoloigst we know apparently doesn't have test for ferret allergies... If I was sure I could adopt it (her, i'll probably take a female), I could prepare the home for her...

Edit: My father is NOT allergic, and I'm going to get my ferret in a one month from and 10 days from a ferret breeder. I've seen the first picture of my furry and her six brothers and sisters yesterday (though I don't now yet which one we'll be mine). I'm soooo happy :mrgreen:

Ferrets are actually hypoallergenic! c:
aeroz (she/her)

click images for credits
aeroz

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Transkitty » Tue Jul 04, 2017 9:24 am

вℓαcкƒιѕн wrote:

No, they're not. No warm blooded animal is really hypoallergenic. Ferrets still have fur, and they still create dander that some people can be allergic to.

A good diet can go a long way to reducing allergy attacks, if not eradicating them altogether. When I first got my ferrets, I was allergic to them. Once they were fully transitioned to a better quality diet, I stopped reacting however!
Transkitty

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby aeroz » Tue Jul 04, 2017 12:43 pm

Transkitty wrote:
вℓαcкƒιѕн wrote:

No, they're not. No warm blooded animal is really hypoallergenic. Ferrets still have fur, and they still create dander that some people can be allergic to.

A good diet can go a long way to reducing allergy attacks, if not eradicating them altogether. When I first got my ferrets, I was allergic to them. Once they were fully transitioned to a better quality diet, I stopped reacting however!

My apologies! I was told even by the veterinarian I work for that ferrets are hypoallergenic and I believed that since my allergic-to-everything mother never had a reaction with my noodles! I wish there was a wider education base for ferrets :/
aeroz (she/her)

click images for credits
aeroz

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Transkitty » Wed Jul 05, 2017 12:59 pm

They produce fewer allergens than other animals, but that doesn't mean they're hypoallergenic! I wish vets wouldn't use that term as much because it leads people to believe that ferret allergies don't exist rather than them just being rare. :/
Transkitty

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me