Norwegian/Norsk

Discussion in other languages - Deutsch • Español • Français • Italiano • Nederlands • Polski • Русский • Svenska • 日本語 • 中文

Re: Norwegian/Norsk

Postby Shera » Wed Nov 11, 2015 11:06 pm

Hello and sorry for interrupting dearest Norwegians, but... I'm also learning Norwegian and I met small problem yesterday. I don't have anyone who could explain it to me, soo... Feel free to kick me out of your chat if you want.
What is the difference between ved and ved siden av? As far as I know, ved means by, like Stolene står ved bordet, and ved siden av is next to - Bildet henger ved siden av speilet. Is there really a big difference, as by in English can be also transtaled as near, next to? Is sentence Bildet henger ved speilet wrong?

I guess I have problem because I'm from Poland and I'm learning Norwegian in English- Is it untranslatable difference?
I will be grateful if you can help me. In the meantime, thank you so much for your attention~

Resent me
Disagree with me
Loathe me
I don't care,
just make sure you respect me
Simple as that
Shera

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby fantasy girl » Thu Nov 12, 2015 12:28 am

Hmm, I honestly don't think there is much of a difference to it other than just one being a bit more grammatically correct than the other (from the example you gave, the more grammatically correct would be ved siden av). From general experience it seems to be more of a personal choice on what is used the most. But that is mostly I guess due to people's slight tendency to use shorter words in general. So referring to general placement of things, yes, they're pretty much the same thing. But there are cases where you can't use one of the words as the other, as their individual meanings still stand.
I hope that makes sense? Not the greatest explainer, sorry P:
A dear friend | The Soap | Wifey | Twin sister | Precious Gosling
➳ ➳ ➳ ➳ ➳ ➳ ➳ ➳ ➳ ➳ ➳ ➳ ➳ ➳ ➳ ➳ ➳ ➳ ➳ ➳
WMEs | CKs | W.O.I |Short story gallery | My 200 WME Challenge | My dA | The Equid Gifting Game

Misc. wrote:Song; Houses - Beginnings
Thinking; hhhhhhhh I'll start my full lease on a horse 15th of September, so excited

➳ ➳ ➳ ➳ ➳ ➳ ➳ ➳ ➳ ➳ ➳ ➳ ➳ ➳ ➳ ➳ ➳ ➳ ➳ ➳ ➳ ➳ ➳ ➳ ➳ ➳ ➳ ➳ ➳

fantasy girl

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Eicamawa » Thu Nov 12, 2015 2:24 am

I would say "ved" is also jused when an object is close to something, and "ved siden av" usually means a the side of something, but no, there's not really that much different, I don't think you would do big mistakes if you choose either one of the choices
Eicamawa

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Shera » Thu Nov 12, 2015 3:39 am

fantasy girl wrote:
Hmm, I honestly don't think there is much of a difference to it other than just one being a bit more grammatically correct than the other (from the example you gave, the more grammatically correct would be ved siden av). From general experience it seems to be more of a personal choice on what is used the most. But that is mostly I guess due to people's slight tendency to use shorter words in general. So referring to general placement of things, yes, they're pretty much the same thing. But there are cases where you can't use one of the words as the other, as their individual meanings still stand.
I hope that makes sense? Not the greatest explainer, sorry P:

Strangely, but it kinda makes sense c:

Eicamawa wrote:I would say "ved" is also jused when an object is close to something, and "ved siden av" usually means a the side of something, but no, there's not really that much different, I don't think you would do big mistakes if you choose either one of the choices

I see. I'll write it down for future uses, although I guess being 100% grammatically correct is the worst thing I can do, due to many of dialects, eh? I mean, I'd sound strange anyway, using full official language or having funny pronunciation or having funny pronunciation and being too much of grammar nazi in the same time, wouldn't I? .-.

Thank you both for answers~

Resent me
Disagree with me
Loathe me
I don't care,
just make sure you respect me
Simple as that
Shera

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Zookrates » Thu Nov 12, 2015 9:23 am

Shera wrote:Hello and sorry for interrupting dearest Norwegians, but... I'm also learning Norwegian and I met small problem yesterday. I don't have anyone who could explain it to me, soo... Feel free to kick me out of your chat if you want.
What is the difference between ved and ved siden av? As far as I know, ved means by, like Stolene står ved bordet, and ved siden av is next to - Bildet henger ved siden av speilet. Is there really a big difference, as by in English can be also transtaled as near, next to? Is sentence Bildet henger ved speilet wrong?

I guess I have problem because I'm from Poland and I'm learning Norwegian in English- Is it untranslatable difference?
I will be grateful if you can help me. In the meantime, thank you so much for your attention~

the explanation and examples that you gave were grammatically correct n-n

i love hearing about people actually bothering to learn norwegian, so kudos to you! good luck!
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
wattpad twitter tumblr: main aesthetic bands photos

when in doubt, freak 'em out
ImageImage Image

speak the truth, even if your voice shakes

ImageImageImage
Zookrates

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Brittato » Thu Dec 31, 2015 10:45 am

.-.
Last edited by Brittato on Fri Apr 01, 2016 10:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
┌──────────────────────────────────────
Kia Ora!

I'm slowly working on this signature c:

└───────────────────────────────────────
ImageImage
Brittato

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby fantasy girl » Thu Dec 31, 2015 11:54 am

Depending on what you mean with teaching, as I am by no means an educated/qualified language teacher. However, I would offer to try and help you to my best ability as a native Norwegian speaker c:
WMEs | CKs | W.O.I |Short story gallery | My 200 WME Challenge | My dA | The Equid Gifting Game

Thinking; hhhhhhhh I'll start my full lease on a horse 15th of September, so excited

fantasy girl

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby . étoile » Tue Jun 14, 2016 5:37 am

Hei! Eg pratar ikkje bra norsk, unnskyld! Men eg likar norsk..og Norge er eit fint land.
-
I'll apologize in advance to the native Norwegian speakers for my writing, just in case.
I've only just started studying the language (Bokmål for writing), and have been enjoying it!

link link link link

╔═══════ ════════╗
aspiring diplomat who has taste
for languages, linguistics, puns,
politics, philosophy and history.

╚═════════════════╝
myst è re est trop

pas xd é sob é ir

. étoile

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby fantasy girl » Fri Jul 29, 2016 10:58 am

Nothing to apologize for, your sentence was 100% grammatically correct!
But that is actually kind of confusing haha, considering the sentence you wrote was in nynorsk? c: But it's great to hear that you're enjoying learning the language~

fantasy girl

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby saystherover » Sat Oct 29, 2016 11:14 am

hei, jeg er amerikaner og jeg snakker en bit av norsk!! ahhhh men jeg er veldig opptatt med høyskole så min norsk er kanskje dårlig. jeg beklager
sten | 25 | cis woman (she/her) | bi
saystherover

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me