| | RVEC Showing Thread | |

If you need to make more than one topic for your adoptables, you can put the extra topics in here. Please read stickies for more information

Re: | | RVEC Showing Thread | |

Postby iStarz & Everly » Fri Jan 05, 2018 7:02 am

iStarz & Everly wrote:Working Cow Horse:

Horse: ÇwÇ Perpetually Counting 'Penny'
Class: Adult
Show discipline: Working Cow Horse

Horse: ÇwÇ Perpetual Distance 'Jax'
Class: Adult

Horse: ÇwÇ Switching Loyalties 'Devon'
Class:

Horse: ÇwÇ Not To Be Outdun 'Ollie'

Horse: ÇwÇ Hope You Remember Me 'Thorin'

I don’t think I need to remove money again?
iStarz & Everly

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby caf. » Fri Jan 05, 2018 8:41 am

yep, no fees if you're re-entering!
i am currently almost ready to release results, but since some big new features are coming out i'm typing up a quick few loose threads before i do. please, if you need to re-enter, don't hesitate, i'll accept those until results are released! just no more new entries, please.
caf - they/them - bi
equestrian - vocalist - student

mostly i hang around here for
RVEC nowadays, though i
roleplay on occasion. chat
with me about horses, music,
math, science, or...anything!
caf.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby caf. » Sat Jan 06, 2018 3:51 pm

if your horses were ineligible to compete this round, please refund your entry fee and reenter for the next round. show entry sheet has been wiped.

The hunters results are in! Congratulations to the winners!

In first place, earning 1,000c with a score of 83, is Foxtail Stables' Lionheart.
In second place, earning 700c with a score of 82, is Cavallo Stables' Fool's Gold.
In third place, earning 500c with a score of 76, is Cavallo Stables' Bright Eyes.
In fourth place, earning 300c with a score of 74, is Foxtail Stables' Coded Whisper.
In fifth place, earning 150c with a score of 73, is Foxtail Stables' Kiss & Tell FS.
In sixth place, with a score of 60, is Foxtail Stables' Raven Wing.
In seventh place, with a score of 57, is Midnight Hills' Magic's Worth.
In eighth place, with a score of 49, is Foxtail Stables' Wisteria Lane FS.
In ninth place, with a score of 37, is Foxtail Stables' Modern Day Chivarly.

The jumpers results are in! Congratulations to the winners!

In first place, earning 1,000c with a time of 76.3 and 0 penalties, is Foxtail Stables' Himmlischer Tanz.
In second place, earning 700c with a time of 80.51 and 0 penalties, is Cardinal Crest's CC Showbiz at it's Finest.
In third place, earning 500c with a time of 82.64 and 0 penalties, is Wild Imagination Stables' A Dash of Class.
In fourth place, earning 300c with a time of 84.53 and 0.6 penalties, is Silver Ridge's King's Pride.
In fifth place, earning 150c with a time of 79.24 and 2 penalties, is Foxtail Stables' Ash Wine.
In sixth place, with a time of 79.44 and 2 penalties, is Midnight Hills' A Story of Hope.

Unfortunately, Midnight Hills' Art of the Wind went off course during the competition and was disqualified.

The cross-country results are in! Congratulations to the winners!

In first place, earning 1,000c with a time of 11:34 and 0 penalties, is Midnight Hills' La Paso Fiesta.
In second place, earning 700c with a time of 11:53 and 0 penalties, is Midnight Hills' GentleGalantis.
In third place, earning 500c with a time of 11:59 and 0 penalties, is Cavallo Stables' Moonlit Waters.
In fourth place, earning 300c with a time of 12:06 and 0 penalties, is Cavallo Stables' The Winter Sea.
In fifth place, earning 150c with a time of 12:08 and 0 penalties, is Cavallo Stables' Lunar Exploration.
In sixth place, with a time of 13:01 and 16.22 penalties, is Coldwater Creek's ÇwÇ Making Headlines.

Unfortunately, Midnight Hills' Malachy Ossian fell during the competition and was eliminated. Cardinal Crest's CC Carnal Logic, as well, had too many refusals at the same fence and was eliminated.

The dressage results are in! Congratulations to the winners!

In first place, earning 1,000c with a score of 70.377, is Cavallo Stables' Guadalupe Groove.
In second place, earning 700c with a score of 69.561, is Coldwater Creek's ÇwÇ Saturn VII.
In third place, earning 500c with a score of 68.966, is Coldwater Creek's Perpetuum Jazzile.
In fourth place, earning 300c with a score of 66.661, is Cardinal Crest's CC Stompin' Ground.

The three-day eventing results are in! Congratulations to the winners!

In first place, earning 1,250c with a score of 24.99, is Cavallo Stables' Moonlit Waters.
In second place, earning 950c with a score of 43.25, is Foxtail Stables' Himmlischer Tanz.

Unfortunately, Cavallo Stables' Lunar Exploration fell during the cross-country phase and was eliminated. Cavallo Stables' The Winter Sea, as well, went off-course during the stadium jumping phase and was eliminated.

The western pleasure results are in! Congratulations to the winners!

In first place, earning 1,000c with a score of 72.35, is Coldwater Creek's ÇwÇ Poseidon's Gift.
In second place, earning 700c with a score of 71.20, is Coldwater Creek's ÇwÇ Zig and Zag.
In third place, earning 500c with a score of 67.67, is Coldwater Creek's ÇwÇ Distant Skiyes.
In fourth place, earning 300c with a score of 64.56, is Cavallo Stables' Noble Cause.
In fifth place, earning 150c with a score of 62.77, is Coldwater Creek's ÇwÇ Astronomically Possible.
In sixth place, with a score of 60.96, is Coldwater Creek's ÇwÇ Abyss of Day.
In seventh place, with a score of 59.91, is Cavallo Stables' Fool's Gold.

Unfortunately, Cavallo Stables' Fatal Attraction bolted during the class and was dismissed.

The reining results are in! Congratulations to the winners!

In first place, earning 1,000c with a score of 72, is Coldwater Creek's ÇwÇ Little Toy Guns.
In second place, earning 700c with a score of 71, is Coldwater Creek's ÇwÇ Hawaiian Rollercoaster Ride.
In third place, earning 500c with a score of 70.5, is Coldwater Creek's ÇwÇ Pride's Redemption.
In fourth place, earning 300c with a score of 65, is Coldwater Creek's ÇwÇ Rise To The Occasion.
In fifth place, earning 150c with a score of 62, is Cavallo Stables' Smoke Inhalation.
In sixth place, with a score of 59, is Cavallo Stables' Gøta.

Unfortunately, Cavallo Stables' Orchard Rush bolted during the class and was dismissed. Coldwater Creek's ÇwÇ In The Woods, as well, put in a massive rear and flipped over, and was dismissed as a result.

The barrel racing results are in! Congratulations to the winners!

In first place, earning 1,000c with a time of 17.094, is Coldwater Creek's The Flip Side.
In second place, earning 700c with a time of 18.193, is Coldwater Creek's ÇwÇ Doubled Conditions.
In third place, earning 500c with a time of 19.319, is Coldwater Creek's ÇwÇ Double Counting.
In fourth place, earning 300c with a time of 19.656, is Coldwater Creek's ÇwÇ Beyond Counting.
In fifth place, earning 150c with a time of 19.862, is Cavallo Stables' Orchard Rush.
In sixth place, with a time of 21.615, is Coldwater Creek's ÇwÇ Lookin' at Lee.
In seventh place, with a time of 23.882, is Silver Ridge's Call of the Wild.

The working cow horse results are in! Congratulations to the winners!

In first place, earning 1,250c with a score of 134, is Coldwater Creek's ÇwÇ Perpetual Distance.
In second place, earning 950c with a score of 129.5, is Coldwater Creek's ÇwÇ Switching Loyalties.
In third place, earning 750c with a score of 127, is Coldwater Creek's ÇwÇ Hope You Remember Me.
In fourth place, earning 550c with a score of 124, is Coldwater Creek's ÇwÇ Perpetually Counting.
In fifth place, earning 250c with a score of 120.5, is Coldwater Creek's ÇwÇ Not To Be Outdun.
In sixth place, with a score of 117.5, is Cavallo Stables' Hi Flyer.

The driven dressage results are in! Congratulations to the winners!

In first place, earning 1,000c with a score of 74.682, is Cavallo Stables' Guadalupe Groove.
In second place, earning 700c with a score of 72.962, is Foxtail Stables' Kiss & Tell FS.
In third place, earning 500c with a score of 64.999, is Cavallo Stables' Fatal Attraction.
In fourth place, earning 300c with a score of 64.963, is Cavallo Stables' Noble Cause.

Check here to see how your horse did and why! I'd highly recommend checking this, for a few horses incurred vet and farrier fees this round.

Information on showing updates is incoming - we've got something very exciting in store! For now, show entries are closed until further notice - we're just about ready to roll everything out and would like everyone to be able to participate!
Last edited by caf. on Sat Jan 06, 2018 4:35 pm, edited 3 times in total.
caf - they/them - bi

RVEC nowadays, though i
caf.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby caf. » Sat Jan 06, 2018 4:03 pm

Whew! Congratulations, everyone - we had quite some eventful competition! Now, without further ado, we introduce the invitationals! I will provide a brief blurb describing how to enter, but if you could, please read the main page for all the information you need regarding invitationals!

Invitationals function just like schooling shows, except with more random events and higher scores. Unlike schooling shows, however, invitational shows run independently of one another; each time a horse seeks to enter it must qualify with a certain score or time, which changes from invitational to invitational. Horses may qualify for as many invitationals as they desire, and as such may enter an unlimited number. As well, invitationals run when exactly six horses enter, so when they open, be sure to get your entry in quickly! The form for invitationals is slightly different, so be sure to read it carefully!

Wow! A few scouts for invitationals worldwide were at this week's schooling shows! The following horses qualified for invitational competition!
Foxtail Stables' Lionheart qualified for the Montevideo Hunters Invitational in Uruguay with a score of 83.
Cavallo Stables' Fool's Gold qualified for the Montevideo Hunters Invitational in Uruguay with a score of 82.
Cavallo Stables' Moonlit Waters qualified for the Glasgow Eventing Invitational in the UK with a score of 24.99.
Coldwater Creek's ÇwÇ Poseidon's Gift qualified for the Brussels Western Pleasure Invitational in Germany with a score of 72.35.
Coldwater Creek's ÇwÇ Zig and Zag qualified for the Brussels Western Pleasure Invitational in Germany with a score of 71.20.
Coldwater Creek's ÇwÇ Distant Skiyes qualified for the Brussels Western Pleasure Invitational in Germany with a score of 67.67.
Coldwater Creek's The Flip Side qualified for the Salt Lake City Barrel Racing Invitational in the USA with a score of 17.094.
Coldwater Creek's ÇwÇ Doubled Conditions qualified for the Salt Lake City Barrel Racing Invitational in the USA with a score of 18.193.
Coldwater Creek's ÇwÇ Perpetual Distance qualified for the Salzburg Working Cow Horse Invitational in Austria with a score of 134.
Coldwater Creek's ÇwÇ Switching Loyalties qualified for the Salzburg Working Cow Horse Invitational in Austria with a score of 129.5.
Cavallo Stables' Guadalupe Groove qualified for the Saint Petersburg Driven Dressage Invitational in Russia with a score of 74.682.
Foxtail Stables' Kiss & Tell FS qualified for the Saint Petersburg Driven Dressage Invitational in Russia with a score of 72.962.

As well, the talent scouts have reviewed past scores and qualified a few other horses from past shows! Please check here to see if your horse qualifies!

Another requirement for invitationals is the completion of at least one written or drawn prompt. Attach the prompt to or link your submission on your form. If you so desire, you may do up to two extra prompts, which will give bonus points to your horse's performance at the invitational. For written responses, there is a minimum word count of 300. There is no minimum for artistic renditions (other than that a caption should be provided briefly describing what's going on in the picture), but any submission must display obvious effort and thought. Please specify to which prompt(s) you are responding in your form. Prompts can also be found on the Qualified Horses google sheet.

(As a side note, if anyone's concerned about fairness, I will post my entries for invitationals in this thread to keep everyone accountable)

The Montevideo Hunters Invitational asks that you respond to at least one of the following prompts:
15. What was your horse like as a foal? If you don’t know, try and guess!
44. Do you keep any other animals on your farm? What kinds? Does your horse get along with them? If not, are there any animals you’d like to have?
74. Do you have any lucky charms, rituals, etc. for shows? If so, what are they? If not, do you not believe in them?

The Szeged Jumpers Invitational asks that you respond to at least one of the following prompts:
8. What’s your horse’s favorite treat?
78. Is your horse quiet or hot? Does their speed make it harder for you to ride/drive them?
86. Do you prefer indoor or outdoor show venues? Why?

The Ulan Bator Cross-Country Invitational asks that you respond to at least one of the following prompts:
28. What’s something you really want to do with your horse someday?
67. Does your horse have any white markings? If so, what’s your secret to getting them clean for shows? If not, do you wish they did?
90. Do you ever poultice? When? Clay, spray-on, or epsom salts? Standing wraps or let be? If none of the above, why not?

The Willington Dressage Invitational asks that you respond to at least one of the following prompts:
3. Describe your horse’s bit. Why did you choose it? If you don’t use a bit, why not? What do you use instead?
55. Have you ever used ground poles to train your horse? If so, how so? If not, would you consider it?
62. Have you ever fallen from your horse/cart? If so, describe one instance. If not, do you think it’s possible?

The Glasgow Eventing Invitational asks that you respond to at least one of the following prompts:
24. How are your horse’s gaits? Have you done anything to improve them?
31. What’s your competition attire? Describe it.
92. What does your tackbox look like? Is it messy? Organized? What’s all in there?

The Brussels Western Pleasure Invitational asks that you respond to at least one of the following prompts:
19. What do you plan to do with your horse when they retire? Will they go to stud/brood? Pasture pet? Riding lessons?
55. Have you ever used ground poles to train your horse? If so, how so? If not, would you consider it?
85. How long have you been showing? In what discipline did you get your start?

The Laoag City Reining Invitational asks that you respond to at least one of the following prompts:
6. Who’s your horse’s favorite trailer buddy? If they trailer alone, why?
96. How do you feel about your horse’s height? Are they too tall? Too short? Just right? Does it help or hinder them in their discipline?
98. Is your horse a cuddler, or do they prefer not to be touched much?

The Salt Lake City Barrel Racing Invitational asks that you respond to at least one of the following prompts:
59. Do shows give your horse nerves? How does your horse behave at shows?
77. Would you ever sell your horse? Why or why not?
88. Do you ever use your horse for farm work (plowing, patrolling, herding, hauling, etc.)? If not, do you think they’d be suited for it?

The Salzburg Working Cow Horse Invitational asks that you respond to at least one of the following prompts:
1. Describe your horse’s saddle or harness. Why did you choose it?
22. Most everyone receives comments about their horse at shows, from judges, spectators, and other riders/drivers. What’s a comment that you remember especially well?
47. Does your horse get along well with cattle? Why or why not?

The Saint Petersburg Driven Dressage Invitational asks that you respond to at least one of the following prompts:
38. What is your horse’s biggest conformation fault? Does it affect them?
43. When was the last time your horse had to get a shot? Are they good for that?
51. How did you choose your horse’s name? If you didn’t, does it suit them?

Just a few quick reminders so we're all on the same page! For one, the showing age at RVEC is five years of age - this is different, since it used to be four before the advent of futurities! Please be sure to check your horses' ages before entering. As well, I'll be more animate about checking the entries as they come in to ensure eligibility. No worries to anyone who made this mistake - it was quite a few horses, and I'm well-aware the change was perhaps not as well-communicated as it could be! Secondly, foundation horses cannot enter futurities. The futurities are meant to promote responsible breeding, so to allow foundation horses to enter would be redundant. Thus, foundation horses must wait until age five to enter competitions. Once again, no harm done if any mistakes are made! SydneyandStorm and I are doing our very best to make the showing system realistic, efficient, and exciting!

Lastly, get ready! We're hard at work on a new halter discipline that's sure to please! As always, if you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask in the discussion thread or contact SydneyandStorm or myself privately. Congratulations once more to our winners and invitational qualifiers, and best of luck in the upcoming rounds!

Show entries for invitationals, schooling shows, and futurities are now open until January 20th.
caf - they/them - bi

RVEC nowadays, though i
caf.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby caf. » Sat Jan 13, 2018 6:05 am

Invitational Show Registration

Username: caf.
Barn: Cavallo Stables

Horse: Fool’s Gold
Show Discipline: Hunters
Prompt: #15
Entry: I picked up Jester at an auction during my travels in Virginia. The big boy was a handsome five-year-old gelding at the time, transported into the States from Australia. His sellers had imported and broken him for the express purpose of selling him as an “exotic” horse - after all, brumbies aren’t terribly common here. Of course, they’d done a pretty poor job of backing him - after all, they were on a strict time frame to get him sold - but luckily, he was a gentle thing who responded well, if not particularly quickly, to a regimen of conditioning and retraining.
I’ll probably never know what he was like as a foal, but I’d guess he was a fiery thing. It’s likely at least one of his parents was a Thoroughbred due to his great size, and range colts must have boundless energy with which to explore the plains and mountains. Jester isn’t a dumb horse, but he isn’t particularly quick, either, not like some of my stock - I assume he was very close with his band and perhaps not particularly independent. He is athletic, however, and that must have served him well; I don’t doubt that he was incredibly playful and very well-suited to his environment at the time.
He was captured at age four, so by the time he became a domesticated animal, he was already fully grown and probably very confused and frightened. His youth had already been difficult and tumultuous; sweltering summers, subzero winters, rugged terrain, and a scarcity of food made him hardy and strong but ultimately unprepared for life with people. It was the job of his sellers and, later, me, to convert him into a riding horse. His background still shines through in his surefootedness and ceaseless athleticism; I can only guess at his heritage and past, but he constantly gives me clues. (WC: 312)

Horse: The Winter Sea
Show Discipline: Three-Day Eventing
Prompt: #24
Entry: Needless to say, there’s a reason I chose Winter on the sales trip during which I purchased her.
She’s not a terribly large mare, but I quickly found that her breeders did an impeccable job in selecting for excellent action and build while still preserving traits common to nokotas. Winter’s trot isn’t terribly suspensory, perhaps, but it’s very accurate and rhythmic. She has a slight daisy-clip to the gait as well, which is certainly a plus.
Her canter, though, is truly what I bought her for. That already sure-footed, ground-covering gait of most feral horses was refined into a rocking, relaxed movement. It felt beautiful, to say the least.
Granted, when I bought her, she really liked to travel heavily on her forehand, typical of most young horses. Lots of pole work, strength training, and clinics with dressage experts greatly improved her way of going. Still, even though her canter and trot are both attractive and accurate, her walk leaves something to be desired.
Unfortunately, due to her small size, Winter struggles at the lowest gait. Unlike the warmbloods and larger horses I’ve dealt with in the past, she has little “march” and “swing,” so to speak. Using poles has improved it somewhat, but the simple fact is that the walk is the hardest gait to improve. Nowadays she at least tracks up somewhat - her hind feet land about three inches in front of the prints left by her fore-hooves.
The mare still likes to roll onto her forehand if I’m not totally accurate in my contact and seat, but I find that she generally scores very well in dressage if I ride her well. Unfortunately, she never scores very well in movement simply because she can’t physically move the way a well-bred warmblood can. It’s something I sacrificed when I transitioned to training and showing feral horses full-time. Still, for a mare so small, she holds her ground quite well. (WC: 325)

Horse: Moonlit Waters
Show Discipline: Three-Day Eventing
Prompt: #31
Entry: My mother raised me as a hardline traditionalist when it came to clothes for horse shows, at least in the English discipline. Perhaps she never planned for me to add the western and driven disciplines to my repertoire, but even so I still tend to dress rather conservatively, even in the western pleasure ring.
I’ve had my wool show coat since age sixteen and have yet to let go of it; it’s a huge pain at summer shows but I’d hate to make a huge investment on a new mesh coat when I have a perfectly functional one already. I always wear a coat for both dressage and stadium jumping - unless the judge has done something to displease me - over a generic starched white shirt. I have a shadbelly at home for dressage showing but I’ve never worn it to an event - I hate it and I’ll take any excuse to wear something else. I have a lace stock tie as well - a gift from a colleague - and a modern pair of white full-seat breeches I reluctantly splurged on after a few clinicians commented on how unprofessional my cheap old ones seemed. White gloves, too, since my black ones aren’t of terribly nice quality.
As for cross-country, I’ve never appreciated the fad of bright, tacky colors. On Moon, I generally wear a simple black short-sleeved shirt with a white undershirt if it’s especially cold out. I usually wear black breeches to prevent ruining my white ones and no helmet cover. I generally wear the black gloves, too, since there’s no need to look especially pretty on cross-country. I haven’t ever purchased an air vest - I’ve never needed one - and I have a plain black body protector I purchased when I outgrew the green child-size one. Spurs simply aren’t necessary for this horse - he’s plenty forward on his own. As such, I simply carry a plain crop when jumping in case of a bad moment. (WC: 332)

Horse: Guadalupe Groove
Show Discipline: Western Pleasure
Prompt: #19
Entry: Comal has always been a pony with a gentle spirit; despite being green and inexperienced he’s a very easy ride. Even his worst spooks amount to a dart to the side and a snort; he’s easy and forgiving both under saddle and in the traces. I’ve yet to find a bad bone in him; he may not be the fanciest pony in the world, but he’s certainly valuable.
If someone offered to buy him later in his life, I wouldn’t complain; I love the horse, sure, but I don’t have any overwhelming attachment to him. If the home and the price were right I’d be happy to see him off to become a child’s pony. That said, I can’t predict how far he’ll go yet - he might well become a very valuable horse if he begins succeeding at the higher levels. If that happens - something I consider somewhat unlikely but nonetheless possible - it’ll likely take an awfully good offer to get me to part with him.
It’s very likely that Comal will retire at my farm when he is finished competing. Ideally I’d like for him to competing until the end of his life; even though he will, of course, retire from invitationals at age 19, hopefully he will continue to compete at schooling shows for a long time to come. Of course, as I know too well, there is always a chance a horse will go lame and be unable to compete; if that’s the case, I hope I can continue to use him in beginner riding lessons.
I have a feeling he’ll make a great lesson pony, and perhaps a low-level student will lease him so that I won’t have to worry about his getting exercised and loved on. Something tells me he’ll be happiest if he continues to be ridden until the end of his life; I’ve never met such a people-horse in my life. (WC: 321)

Horse: Fatal Attraction
Show Discipline: Western Pleasure
Prompt: #85
Entry: My mother always loved horses; in her younger days she was a low-level event rider. Of course, when she graduated college and married she left the sport, but her heart was still with it. Whether I liked it or not, I was in riding lessons from age six onward, though I rode at a small barn that didn’t show. I was a loud girl then, daring; I found a love for jumping even though I had some success in the western saddle as well.
Mom found the first Cavallo property just before my eighth birthday. It was small, run-down, but it had a six-horse barn and a nice house and, most importantly, it was cheap, since a large, ugly factory had been built right next door. Soon after, she bought a horse; a big, handsome dressage warmblood named Olympus.
I found Olympus to be a boon, even though my riding him mildly terrified my mother. He was as honest as honest could be, which often resulted in my tumbling off of him when he’d clear something any smart horse would have refused. Gentle as a lamb, too, despite his being a stallion; as he grew old I taught many lessons with him on a lunge line. As I grew older I started showing him at low-level events with the help of a local trainer.
Soda was the first horse that my mother and I really agreed was mine; she wanted me to have a horse I could trail ride and care for myself. At the time I was around twelve and had fallen into a depression due to a lot of factors; she probably hoped having my very own horse would lift my spirits. Of course, he turned out to be a nervous disaster when we brought him home - the sellers had lied about how long he’d been off the range - but I loved him all the same. Since then, I’ve been enamored with the feral horses; I haven’t stopped pursuing them since.
I’m now twenty-six, showing virtually all disciplines (though my driving is still admittedly terrible - I generally let students show my harness horses). A lot has changed, but, with a variety of nervous wrecks in my barn, I suppose a lot hasn’t. (WC: 377)

Horse: Bright Eyes
Show Discipline: Reining
Prompt: #6
Entry: Since their purchase, Yarraman, Smokey, and Jester have traveled together in the three-horse trailer. The threesome pastures together along with Comal and Romeo (who travel separately in a two-horse), so they all get along quite nicely. I’ve never once heard them kicking or squabbling back there; on the contrary, whenever we’ve stopped on long trips, I’ve always found them quietly eating and sleeping.
Who is Yarraman’s favorite? That’s a debatable question. To be honest, he seems a bit the third wheel; I often see Smokey and Jester tearing around the pasture, but the kaimanawa’s rarely with them. He, on the contrary, likes to pick on Comal at the hay bale. In the barn, he’s stalled between Jester and Romeo (the entire pasture is stalled right in a line), and I’ve really never seen him have an issue with Jester (though he certainly prefers him to Romeo, who often tries to eat hay out of Yarraman’s bag instead of his own). I’ve never noticed him expressing a specific preference on who he ends up next to in the trailer; as long as he’s not in the last stall, he’s perfectly content. Though, to tell the truth, most of these observations aren’t things I’ve seen myself; I often glean my information on the social lives of the horses from the kids, since I honestly don’t pay that much attention to them.
Ultimately, though, he rides somewhat more often with Smokey; they’re both reining horses, after all, so if the show we’re driving to isn’t multi-disciplinary, we tend to leave Jester at home and slide Cider in with them instead. It’d make sense, then, that Smokey would be his favorite to ride with, though to be honest, Yarraman doesn’t seem picky. He won’t ride alone - I tried that once and only once - but I could put nearly anyone in there with him and he’d fall right asleep. (WC: 316)

Horse: Guadalupe Groove
Show Discipline: Driven Dressage
Prompt: #38
Entry: It’s true; Comal has an ugly head. I honestly have no clue where his big, boxy, Roman-nosed face could have come from, but either way, I wouldn’t consider it his biggest fault. After all, it is unattractive to most judges, but it truly doesn’t hinder him in any way. In fact, a lot of the older lesson students find it somewhat charming.
On the contrary, I find his back to be his worst fault. None of his attributes are particularly bad - he’s not a trainwreck at all - but his topline is just wrong enough that about half of judges comment on it.
It’s certainly improved with work; when I purchased him, he had a horrendous topline with zero back muscling whatsoever. Now that he’s in proper dressage his spine doesn’t jut out so horribly, but his withers are still inappropriately high (which makes him an incredible challenge to fit a saddle to). It’s quite odd, really; his neck is beautifully shaped, but his spine just falls short.
Falling short, of course, would be an inaccurate phrase to describe his back’s length. It really has been a challenge to move up the levels with him; he’s so willing and sweet, but the length from his withers to his croup isn’t doing him any favors. It’s not horrific - I certainly don’t think it causes him any pain - but it wouldn’t surprise me if he developed a little swayback later in life.
I eventually gave up on finding a good saddle for him and just bought a custom one - after all, with his continued success, he deserves it. He has a massage therapist as well (a complete money pit, might I add, but worth it since it noticeably improves his performance). I do a hefty amount of pole work in hopes of strengthening his core and, hopefully, with continued work, he’ll stay sound for several years to come. (WC: 320)

Bank Account: Cavallo Stables Bank Account
caf - they/them - bi

RVEC nowadays, though i
caf.

My pets
My items
My wishlist