Pound Questions.....

Need help with the site/forum/pets? Ask questions and get help from other members here.

Pound Questions.....

Postby Toastberg » Thu Dec 11, 2008 10:22 pm

Okay, is this just me or does the pound always seem to be open in times convenient for America? Not to sound greedy or racist or anything, I know that probably the majority of the site users are american, but I have always been seeing 'within a day' signs, and never any countdowns. So for me that means I have to stay up until really late because I'm round the other side of the world in Australia. And I can't really afford to stay up very late because I have to wake up a 6:00 each morning. So with the new pound system, do you acually pick times that are convenient for people or just plain random ones?

Another thing I don't quite get is the messages. Sometimes the pound is closed, sometimes there isn't anything and sometimes the pound will open in a day? They confuse me. And does the pound page refresh itself when pets go up like it does for the coundown as I've heard?

If someone could answer these for me that would be awesome ;)
~RESUME INDEFINITE PROBABLY-PERMANENT HIATUS~
My work here is done.
Thanks again to those who entered in my competition. I'll be off now. Have a nice life out there.
Toastberg

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Re: Pound Questions.....

Postby pokemoncat » Thu Dec 11, 2008 10:49 pm

Yeah..the pound opens for me at about 7:30 PM or so for me..

Well, when the pound says "Less than a minute" In about..25 seconds or so the pound will open.
I hope i helped..
A bit XD
ImageImageImage

ImageImageImageImageImageImage
pokemoncat

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Nick » Thu Dec 11, 2008 11:16 pm

Toastberg wrote:So with the new pound system, do you acually pick times that are convenient for people or just plain random ones?

The countdown is only 30 minutes, so it's easy to miss even if the opening time is convenient for you. (We can't have a longer warning time because the load of everyone waiting for it to open would destroy the site). We really do try to pick times at random, so that we get a good coverage of timezones, but as 67% of our traffic does come from the US and Canada, we more frequently pick times within the 12-hour "awake" period of the US. We're not even close to the American timezone (being in New Zealand) so there is no other bias in picking American times. BTW, Americans are not a race.

Another thing I don't quite get is the messages. Sometimes the pound is closed, sometimes there isn't anything and sometimes the pound will open in a day? They confuse me. And does the pound page refresh itself when pets go up like it does for the coundown as I've heard?

When it says that the pound is closed, it means that we have not nominated a new opening time for the pound yet. We have to prepare the pound first by stocking it with pets, and this usually doesn't happen immediately after we close it! If you see no message and no pets, you're seeing a bug we have of pets not leaving the pound properly once they are adopted. If this bug was fixed, you'd see a message saying that the pound was open but all the pets were gone, so try again later. We're still trying to work out the cause of the bug.

The pound page never refreshes itself automatically.
Nick
Admin

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Nick » Fri Dec 12, 2008 3:17 pm

I've now put a random number generator on the pound page for mods and admins to use. This should help spread out the Pound opening times.. :).
Nick
Admin

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby SolMiMi » Fri Dec 12, 2008 3:20 pm

Ooh, sounds like a cool update Nick ^_^
I personally haven't had problems with the time the Pound opens...normally opens mornings, afternoons, and late evenings for me (I'm in Asia.)
dead account.. :3 hello RL...
SolMiMi

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Toastberg » Fri Dec 12, 2008 7:28 pm

thenickdude wrote:The pound page never refreshes itself automatically.

Oh! That would be why I have been missing it. Someone told me it did, and I beleived it!
~RESUME INDEFINITE PROBABLY-PERMANENT HIATUS~
My work here is done.
Thanks again to those who entered in my competition. I'll be off now. Have a nice life out there.
Toastberg

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Shian » Fri Dec 12, 2008 10:03 pm

I'm in Aisa and it always seemed to be open right as I went to work/morning -_- Glad to see the randomizer put in.
ImageImage
Come buy old rare pets in bulk for gems!
Shian

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby ☼ Graceful Aurora ☼ » Sat Dec 13, 2008 4:11 am

Toastberg wrote:Okay, is this just me or does the pound always seem to be open in times convenient for America?

Well just because it opens up in our "awake" time doesn't mean it's convenient. I have school a lot of the times the pound has opened.

So even if you don't have a great chance of getting a pup at 3:00 in the morning your time, I have about the same chance of convincing my Spanish teacher to let me go on the internet during class. ;)
“You cannot get through a single day without having an impact on the world around you. What you do makes a difference, and you have to decide what kind of difference you want to make.”
Image Image Image Image Image
Image Image Image
“Only if we understand, can we care. Only if we care, we will help. Only if we help, we shall be saved.” - Jane Goodall
---Image Image Image Image Image---
☼ Graceful Aurora ☼

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby theblackyear » Sat Dec 13, 2008 7:56 am

When the pound says it will open within a day how much time is left?
Its been saying that ALLLL day :oops:
theblackyear

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Sorren Fey » Sat Dec 13, 2008 1:01 pm

You just have to wait... It'll give you a countdown, when it'll open in 30 minutes.
Sorren Fey
Admin

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me