[IMPLEMENTED] Mark store pets as store pets

Suggest new features or changes to Chicken Smoothie.

Support or no support?

Store pet markers similar to PPS pet markers (image tag, FAQ link)
73%
Separate archives for store pets
18%
Other
1%
No support for any change; keep things the way they are now
8%

Total votes : 300

Re: Should we mark store pets as something separate?

Postby nickjr » Sun Feb 19, 2017 4:09 pm

Yeah, for those who are wondering about the Rares List part (which I don't think we should address in this thread; this thread is for a site suggestion, so if you want to discuss the List, go to the List thread :)):

"Remove from the List" in reference to store pets does NOT mean "Remove from the List and say that they are not worth any List pets"

It means "Remove from the structure of the List; say they are List pets, but don't slot them in with the other pets on the List"--i.e. "Don't strictly define their worth beyond "these old store pets are worth pets on X list"
Spread the word to end the word, because discrimination based on perceived or actual IQ/"intelligence" is no better than discrimination based on race, gender, etc.

Context, consistency, and clear antecedents are golden.
I neither read nor speak between the lines. But I will analyze your language.

Often on phone |||| Timezone: EDT/EST (CS Time -4/-5) |||| Very turbulent life IRL
Intentionally turned off signatures; PMs off June 2013 - June 2020, may turn off again later
Banner by Moonflight Image It's been over 10 years since my request, and I still love it. Thank you so much!

Character in avatar is from CS's 2015 Sucrose City summer event. Border made by me in MS Paint, Windows 8.1 xD
nickjr

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Shian » Wed Feb 22, 2017 5:15 am

http://www.chickensmoothie.com/trades/viewtrade.php?id=60911851&userid=5190&signature=C5rGV5SQWs_-hjwM7SeM8w

This was exactly my earlier point. Since pets often don't get rarities for 3+ months, it would be really nice to indicate that these pets aren't just another missed outcome for new players.
ImageImage
Come buy old rare pets in bulk for gems!
Shian

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby *JACKAL* » Wed Feb 22, 2017 5:23 am

Leave everything as it is. Just maybe add a STORE tag (like PPS) to maybe avoid getting trades like Shian did. There is no actual problem otherwise, as far as I can see. But what do I know.

█ ▌
█ ▌
█ ▌
█ ▌
█ ▌
█ ▌
█ ▌
█ ▌
█ ▌
█ ▌
█ ▌
█ ▌

▌█
▌█
▌█
▌█
▌█
▌█
▌█
▌█

Image..Image..Image..Image..Image..Image..Image..Image
*JACKAL*

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby ElementalInsanity » Wed Feb 22, 2017 5:29 am

Shian wrote:http://www.chickensmoothie.com/trades/viewtrade.php?id=60911851&userid=5190&signature=C5rGV5SQWs_-hjwM7SeM8w

This was exactly my earlier point. Since pets often don't get rarities for 3+ months, it would be really nice to indicate that these pets aren't just another missed outcome for new players.

Thats a rare case as far as I know. Anyone can go see the store pets that are in this month, it isn't that hard, and I'm fairly sure everyone knows what the store pets look like with the frenzy that happens each time they get released. There's even a news bulletin on the front page when they're released.

I still do agree that there should be a tag of some sort, though. If PPS have one, I think the BBS even had one? It just makes sense the store pets would have one, too.
Image Image
Not active, won’t reply to pms/trades.
10/08/22 <3
Complete Collection Achieved 9/11/18
If you are foed you may still send me a pm
ElementalInsanity

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Bilaz » Fri Feb 24, 2017 12:02 am

As a relatively new player I'd like to give my opinion on this matter, is that okay?
I would really love it if the store pets had their own little tag just like 'PPS'. It would really stop confusion for newbies. I remember when I joined and I saw someone had the cutest little baby Cheetah I wanted it so badly. I sent a trade with a recent rare I got, because three month rule! I had been told about this rule and I was proud of my knowledge. It's a bit sad to then get canceled without a message.

I actually also love the idea of the store pets having their own archive like the items. You say this puts them on a pedestal, I don't agree with this. Right now we have pets and items. We also have people going for a full pet collection and others going for a full item collection and some going for both. As the years go on however getting a complete pet collection with become impossible. While the Sunjewels will always be obtainable in a way the skelebun for example will end up nearly obsolete.
You say to just add 'Store pets aren't required for a complete collection' but it's really not the same thing. It's not as satisfying to check off everything except a few pets under a special tab. While if they are in a seperate archive (like the items) you can check off a complete archive (the free pet one) one by one and it would just be more satisfying.

Look at it this way: Chickensmoothie archives are a recipe for a cake. The free pets are the batter, items are the frosting and store pets are berries. Right now the recipe says 'add berries to the batter but you can leave them out if you want to'. Okay, you can choose to leave the berries out but the cake will be different, it's not the same thing.

If the recipe doesn't require berries, if the berries are in a seperate archive, then it's just something you choose to decorate your cake with, like the frosting. You'll always be able to bake your cake like everyone else. Sure some people will have decorated it with all the berries, just like some people will add more frosting. But it will always be the same cake.
╔═════════{♥}═════════╗
And so all things, time will mend
So this song will end...

╚═════════{♥}═════════╝
x➤ My OC Erik, I love to write stories
x➤ Sasha - ISFJ - vegan - adult
x➤ Proud tea drinker and cat lover
x➤ Feel free to send me a message! ©

Image x Image x Image
Bilaz

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby nickjr » Tue Feb 28, 2017 8:10 am

late post orz

@Lunar Kitty I'm glad you posted! (has nothing to do with the fact that you're supporting my position, although that's definitely the cherry on top lol I would still be very glad to see a newer user post with a different stance) It's great to see what some newer users think. It can be tricky for us active older users to see CS from a new user's perspective because everything about CS is so deeply ingrained in us lol

We need perspectives from everyone; this thread has a lot of input from active older users, which is great because we're experienced, but joining and learning about CS today is probably really different from what it was like to join and learn about CS when we joined, so we need newer users' views as well xD

ElementalInsanity wrote:
Anyone can go see the store pets that are in this month, it isn't that hard, and I'm fairly sure everyone knows what the store pets look like with the frenzy that happens each time they get released. There's even a news bulletin on the front page when they're released.
[snip]

Your last sentence here makes sense, but everything else I quoted... It feels like you're assuming new users actually see the frenzy, which they can't unless they become active traders (even then, there's also the frenzy for missed monthly/event outcomes; newer users might not be able to distinguish between the two) and/or become active on the forums.* And I'm not sure it enters everyone's heads to go check out the new store pets in the store or archive, especially if they cannot or will not purchase C$ (I somehow doubt newer users are inclined to drop money on a new game), because unless someone waltzes up to them "Hey, I got a store pet! Whaddya want for it?" what's the point in looking at those pets? Especially without the "hey, CS just released a new thing" factor (i.e. when new players first join)

* I almost never see any sort of frenzy at all, because I am not active on many threads outside of this forum and I rarely trade. I wonder for how many new users this is the "default" state: solo play and only interact with people when they're ready/when they have a question/when they spot a pet they really want. (Actual question! I honestly have no idea because I'm so withdrawn lol)
Spread the word to end the word, because discrimination based on perceived or actual IQ/"intelligence" is no better than discrimination based on race, gender, etc.

Often on phone |||| Timezone: EDT/EST (CS Time -4/-5) |||| Very turbulent life IRL
Intentionally turned off signatures; PMs off June 2013 - June 2020, may turn off again later
Banner by Moonflight Image It's been over 10 years since my request, and I still love it. Thank you so much!

Character in avatar is from CS's 2015 Sucrose City summer event. Border made by me in MS Paint, Windows 8.1 xD
nickjr

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Bilaz » Tue Feb 28, 2017 9:08 am

nickjr wrote:late post orz

@Lunar Kitty I'm glad you posted! (has nothing to do with the fact that you're supporting my position, although that's definitely the cherry on top lol I would still be very glad to see a newer user post with a different stance) It's great to see what some newer users think. It can be tricky for us active older users to see CS from a new user's perspective because everything about CS is so deeply ingrained in us lol

We need perspectives from everyone; this thread has a lot of input from active older users, which is great because we're experienced, but joining and learning about CS today is probably really different from what it was like to join and learn about CS when we joined, so we need newer users' views as well xD

Thank you so much! Glad I could help. :)

ElementalInsanity wrote:
Anyone can go see the store pets that are in this month, it isn't that hard, and I'm fairly sure everyone knows what the store pets look like with the frenzy that happens each time they get released. There's even a news bulletin on the front page when they're released.
[snip]

As a newbie I have to say that this is really not true at all. Every pet is new to you so you don't recognize any frenzy or anything. Yes I saw the weasels on the front page but did I know they were valuable? Never to be rereleased? Not in the slightest. 'They are apparently 'store pets' okay, I can get them in the store?' That's all a newbie knows. What about the store pets from the previous months? I had no clue what the cheetahs were and how they could be obtained.
╔═════════{♥}═════════╗
And so all things, time will mend
So this song will end...

╚═════════{♥}═════════╝
x➤ My OC Erik, I love to write stories
x➤ Sasha - ISFJ - vegan - adult
x➤ Proud tea drinker and cat lover
x➤ Feel free to send me a message! ©

Image x Image x Image
Bilaz

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby ElementalInsanity » Tue Feb 28, 2017 1:33 pm

@Above. I didn't mean to assume that every new user would understand, I apologize. But as an active trader I do notice a lot of new users are in on the frenzy and the many auctions that pop up once the store pets are released. I was also just mentioning it from a very active user's standpoint, who also notices new users who are active. Yeah, there are new players who don't understand what store pets are. Some don't care, and that's up to them. I didn't mean to assume or imply that every new user would understand. ^^" Like you said nickjr, you're talking from your standpoint of not being super active, I'm speaking of mine of being active and what I see.
Image Image
Not active, won’t reply to pms/trades.
10/08/22 <3
Complete Collection Achieved 9/11/18
If you are foed you may still send me a pm
ElementalInsanity

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby nickjr » Tue Feb 28, 2017 3:16 pm

That makes sense!

nickjr

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Pyromaniacal » Tue Feb 28, 2017 4:16 pm

I've been watching this and not posting because there really wasn't much that I could add, but I want to say that I definitely support the tag idea that most have suggested. I'm not the most active trader and don't pay super close attention to what exactly the store pets are, especially for newer store pets. In the past, I've had a user overpay for a few pets with store pets that hadn't yet received their rarities, and I, not realizing that the pets were store pets, declined on the assumption that they had been recent event pets and would be at most uncommon. Fortunately, they were willing to resend the trade after I realized my mistake, but not everyone would be willing to. I for one would find it much simpler to just be able to look at a pet to tell if it was a store pet or not without having to keep track of what pets exactly were store pets, especially before they received rarities. I especially like the tag idea since it seems like it would be much less likely to cause as big or as persistent a demand spike. Just my two cents, I guess.
    linebreak
    ✧ ---------- PYRO - HE/HIM ---------- ✧
    SKILLS: Artist - Writer - Musicianii
    SPECIES: Simas - Obakefolkxixxxi
    MEDIA: Hollow Knight - Sonicxxiiii
    COMMISSIONS: Open for URsxxiii

----------------------------------------
    YOU COME TO THE SOBERING REALIZ-
    ATION THAT THINGS WILL NEVER STOP
    FROM KEEP HAPPENING CONSTANTLY.

✧ ------------------------------------------ ✧
Pyromaniacal