[IMPLEMENTED] Mark store pets as store pets

Suggest new features or changes to Chicken Smoothie.

Support or no support?

Store pet markers similar to PPS pet markers (image tag, FAQ link)
73%
Separate archives for store pets
18%
Other
1%
No support for any change; keep things the way they are now
8%

Total votes : 300

Re: Should we mark store pets as something separate?

Postby lucky333123 » Fri Feb 17, 2017 7:25 pm

I think by having such a label, it will explain why store pets are not released again. I would be worried about an increase in demand, but I also feel like just having a small little thing like "What is a PPS?" could be helpful. Instead of "What is a PPS?" it could be "What is a Store Pet?". That way it can give users a definition of what a Store Pet is and why they are not re-released.
█░▌
█░▌
█░▌
█░▌
█░▌
█░▌
█░▌
█░▌
█░▌
█░▌
█░▌
█░▌
█░▌
──────────────────
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
──────────────────

───────────────────────────
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░

┌────────────┐

If you need any help, feel
free to ask ^.^ dates matter
I am a holibomber!
I have gifted _60_ people.
I have received _35_ gifts.

└────────────┘
┌────────────┐

└────────────┘
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░

▐░█
▐░█
▐░█
▐░█
▐░█
▐░█
▐░█
▐░█
▐░█
▐░█
▐░█
▐░█
▐░█
lucky333123

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Shian » Sat Feb 18, 2017 12:44 am

Dunno about anyone else but 'just look in the archive' is getting to be rather difficult.
We get an average of 60 new pets each month. The archive now has ten years to flip through. That's not a small chunk of time anymore.

Are we really expecting people nowadays to 'just look through the archives"? The thousands and thousands of pets there are on this game? Not sure about you but this was fine in 2010. Now it's just unmanageable and unrealistic to expect players to just know the ballpark of every pet in the archive.

I have a pet that's mixed in with my monthly adopts. I go to trade someone and trade some butterfly wolves away. Whoops, those were this months store pets that I bought at the beginning of the month but haven't looked at them in three weeks. True story.
The fact that pets don't get their rarities for 3 months+ nowadays compounds this issue.

Look! Here's a dog.
Let's pretend it belongs to CS and I'm a new player. I got this dog from someone's give away. We have NO idea where it belongs in the archives but it has an adoption date of Dec 14th 2016. So is it a regular adoptable? *scrolls through pets*
Nope.
Was it a Christmas pet? *scrolls through 4 pages*
Nope.
Well, if I'm lucky and the rarity does show. (Today it would not! Dec '16 store pets don't have rarities!), It would most likely say VR.

And of course we all know that a vr totally equals a vr so this vr (a store pet) equals a vr event pet from two years ago.

I could ask someone but my knowledgeable friend is not online. I'm sure it's fine this once because that user wants a response right now or they might cancel the trade with one of my dreamies in it! It looks fine to me. I'd better hit accept before they change their mind. How valuable can this thing be if I got it in a giveaway?

I think at the very least, they need a marker that ids them as a store pet, something obtained not by regular adoption. We have that marker on BBS pets, why not one for store pets?
ImageImage
Come buy old rare pets in bulk for gems!
Shian

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Aaron✦ » Sat Feb 18, 2017 12:57 am

Simon wrote:
    Yeah I just wanted to state my opinion on the topic ^^ I think everyone's ideas are valid here in one way or another. I'm just speaking from my perspective as a player.

I do see your point but at the same time I think the reason most users want to own full collections is so that they can own every single pet released. I doubt that is going to change no matter how many changes or distinctions we make. There will always be users who claim they have "real" or "fully" complete collection bc they have a complete store pet collection. Therefore, users will be seeking these pets regardless. If anything I would worry separating them would make store pets even more desirable.

I guess it just seems odd to me to have a statement on the archives saying "This is a complete collection, this isn't, etc." As a user who isn't going for a complete collection I guess it just feels odd to me bc having it there would almost make it seem like the site is endorsing that as the right way to collect (or encouraging it). I guess my question is why is it so important to define what a "true" complete collection is? At the end of the day if a user wants to collect every pet in the game they are going to try for that regardless. If a user wants to collect every pet minus the store pets and URs they are totally free to do that as well. The archive is supposed to be....well just that, an archive of every pet released. It's not meant to serve as a checklist of every pet you must own.

edit: was writing this before Shian posted so I've not read any of that yet

I'm still with nickjr on this one. "I guess my question is why is it so important to define what a "true" complete collection is?" Because when new players join, they'll see the skelebun displayed in the same way at the same level as other pets that they can realistically get, but there are some that they can't (or, in future, won't) be able to get. It's like the FR bestiary for example: they present you with this catalogue of pets that you can collect and fill in almost like a pokedex, but, oops, you'll never actually realistically be able to get the KS ones, you'll just have a sort of half completed bestiary for the rest of time. I've never bothered collecting on FR purely for that reason, but I wanted a completed CS collection the day I joined.

The archive is, as you said, just an archive, but for collectors there is the tick incentive nickjr was talking about. People are always going to join and want to get everything. It just seems very inherently unfair to me to join a site where you can only kind of complete the archive. Players claiming they have fully completed collections w/ store pets or whatever is fine, but making sure that they are two different things with or without store pets means that new players have a goal that is actually possible to complete (complete collection no store pets) vs how it is now with people saying they just have "complete collections" meaning store pets as well, what will be an unattainable goal.

Separating them means that new players have on attainable goal and, if there are people that then want to go on and get the store pets too, that's just another thing on top of it. As it stands now the userbase sees these two things as one and the same, when they should never have been viewed that way to start with going by how Tess viewed these pets.

I really think the best way to look at it is from a brand new players' perspective - we've sort of viewed the store pets as just other pets this whole time, so it's hard to change how we think about them, but new players won't have that - they join, are a collector, add everything to their wishlist and then it turns out that colloquially a "complete collection" actually means a collection without the store pets because they've since become impossible to get. So why are they all lumped together? Without making the distinction, when someone new joins the conversation will always boil down to "Please rerelease store pets so I can complete my collection", "No because xyz, store pets aren't considered part of a complete collection anyway, here's Tess saying that." In my head it just makes more sense to make that clear from the start, you know?

Hopefully some of that made sense lolol

x
x

[
x
x

1 pet to go!icon
need help?guidesfor newbies

he/xey - no they/them
Image Image Image

x
x

]
Aaron✦
Global Moderator

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby lil rascal » Sat Feb 18, 2017 2:27 am

Can I just clarify, it sounds like the suggestion is to remove store pets from being able to be added to wishlists, is that the case? If so, as someone who trades store pets a lot, I definitely don't support that, it would basically bring a halt to, or at least make a lot harder, the majority of my CS trading...and lets face it trading is hard enough as it is

Looking for WL trades!

LOLO lights off now until next year, hope you enjoyed your visit :)
lil rascal

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Imabox » Sat Feb 18, 2017 2:34 am

To throw in another opinion as to why I feel there should be some sort of indicator or more information towards explaining that Store Pets don't get re-released (I'm not sure if any of what I'm going to talk about has already been mentioned in the beginning of the thread so apologies if they are). Just yesterday I witnessed someone claiming that their store pets was a true date, which well doesn't make sense because all store pets are true dates. This isn't the only time I've seen it either...I've seen people on trading forums or auction forums saying hey my Raven is a true date raven! While this doesn't really harm anyone the person who owns the pet might expect more because their pet is "TD" and it also just shows that their might be a lack of knowledge on if store pets are released again.

Another reason is on the 18th we often get the same response every year of "will store pets be released as well?" and while it's an easy question to respond to I've still seen it happen every year. I don't know if it's just those who are new that are asking or if we even have older players who don't pay attention to what is released and just think everything gets a release. It probably doesn't help that right after the 18th everyone comes out from their trading slumber to post trades and this includes their store pets. So while say a Raven seems scarce right now on the trading forums after the 18th everyone starts posting all their list pets so they amount of people looking for trades on their Raven increases and if you are just watching the trades forum or the auction forum you might think that more Ravens were released.

I don't know if we need a new archive for them or a new tag for them, but I still feel that there does need to be more information about them and how they won't re-release. I know we do have some stuff saying that, but being that I still see these two above issues I do feel like we need to make some sort of change towards making it more obvious that these pets will NOT release again.

Just wanted to throw out another reason why I feel their should be some change since the biggest thing we keep talking about is that people want their for a full collection when I feel there are more reasons besides just that.

@lil rascal that was I believe one possible way of changing the archives, but I think people started leaning more towards just making their own archive while still being able to add them to the wishlist in case you wanted to hunt for them.
ImageImage
I've come up with a new recipe!

Imabox

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Shian » Sat Feb 18, 2017 2:44 am

A True Date store pet means one adopted in the month it was released, not the following months where it is available. It's actually a distinction for finicky collectors. ;)
ImageImage
Come buy old rare pets in bulk for gems!
Shian

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby nickjr » Sat Feb 18, 2017 10:47 am

Shian wrote:A True Date store pet means one adopted in the month it was released, not the following months where it is available. It's actually a distinction for finicky collectors. ;)

... dang, y'all are hardcore lol

Updated first post with content. Also hopefully made the lists easier to read. (wow they're long) If you have something to say about the first post and not the discussion, feel free to post (or send a trade if you want to speak in private). I'm all ears! and eyes
Spread the word to end the word, because discrimination based on perceived or actual IQ/"intelligence" is no better than discrimination based on race, gender, etc.

Context, consistency, and clear antecedents are golden.
I neither read nor speak between the lines. But I will analyze your language.

Often on phone |||| Timezone: EDT/EST (CS Time -4/-5) |||| Very turbulent life IRL
Intentionally turned off signatures; PMs off June 2013 - June 2020, may turn off again later
Banner by Moonflight Image It's been over 10 years since my request, and I still love it. Thank you so much!

Character in avatar is from CS's 2015 Sucrose City summer event. Border made by me in MS Paint, Windows 8.1 xD
nickjr

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby DaDwarf » Sat Feb 18, 2017 10:50 am

Shian wrote:A True Date store pet means one adopted in the month it was released, not the following months where it is available. It's actually a distinction for finicky collectors. ;)

Tbh i count a true date store pet to be adopted on the day of their release, anything not from the first day isnt a true date to me :lol:

@nickjr thanks for the update of the front!

Id love if the store pets just got a 'store pet' mark on the i age, would make things so much easier. Much like the bbs, or more so like the UR on the ur bw cocoon.
DaDwarf

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby ElementalInsanity » Sat Feb 18, 2017 11:02 am

DaDwarf wrote:Id love if the store pets just got a 'store pet' mark on the i age, would make things so much easier. Much like the bbs, or more so like the UR on the ur bw cocoon.

This is along the lines of them having a tag, and I agree this would be a good idea. Someone mentioned also having a link like with the PPS pets about to "What are store pets?" That's also a wonderful idea.
Image Image
Not active, won’t reply to pms/trades.
10/08/22 <3
Complete Collection Achieved 9/11/18
If you are foed you may still send me a pm
ElementalInsanity

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby ‍‍⠀ » Sat Feb 18, 2017 11:13 am

ElementalInsanity wrote:
DaDwarf wrote:Id love if the store pets just got a 'store pet' mark on the i age, would make things so much easier. Much like the bbs, or more so like the UR on the ur bw cocoon.

This is along the lines of them having a tag, and I agree this would be a good idea. Someone mentioned also having a link like with the PPS pets about to "What are store pets?" That's also a wonderful idea.

I strongly agree,
      just like the release of BBS,
      there won't be a need to put the release of the new Store Pet mark on the news board.

This won't cause too big of a demand increase,
      which I think would be great.
‍‍⠀

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me