Hidden Features & Tips and Tricks!

Need help with the site/forum/pets? Ask questions and get help from other members here.

Re: Hidden Features & Tips and Tricks!

Postby Guest » Mon Jun 12, 2017 6:03 pm

Bump

Re:

Postby Aliria » Wed Jun 28, 2017 5:20 am

★ shooting stars. wrote:
i have a question, so i don't have to check the archive, is there a way i can show rarities under my pets in my groups?

Go to your pets, click "Change pet display settings" at the bottom, and make sure the second box is checked.
I'll send out my soul
To worlds more beautiful

Aliria

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Guest » Sat Jul 01, 2017 7:35 am

Bump

Postby nickjr » Sun Jul 23, 2017 5:31 am

DONE EDITING UNTIL SOMEONE POSTS AFTER ME

why is this post so long...

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Maybe you can add how to get links to posts? There are two ways:

1. Click the post title. Most post titles are Re: threadtitle. So for this post, you'd click Re: Hidden Features & Tips and Tricks!

Downsides:
    1. Depending on how you got to the page to begin with, you get a URL that tells your browser "find this topic on CS, go to this page in the topic, then scroll to that post" OR a URL that tells your browser "find this post on CS, then scroll to another post". This means that if your target post ends up on a different page than where you go for the first instruction (perhaps earlier posts in the thread were removed by moderators, or maybe the post itself was moved to a different thread by a moderator), then the link will break, because "scroll to the target post" can't happen on that page since the post isn't on the page! (Someone found this out the hard way after spending 3+ hours compiling a useful list of links before moderators got around to cleaning up the threads that contained those links. :()

• http://www.chickensmoothie.com/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2743347&start=80#p111031023

You can think of the parts of the URL like this:
        ?f=6 means "go to the 6th forum board" (boards are numbered in order of creation)
        &t=2743347 means "load topic ID 2743347"
        &start=80 means "load the page that starts with the 80th reply that is currently in the thread"
        #p111031023 means "scroll to post ID 111031023"

# usually means "scroll to", not "load"

Let's pretend this post gets moved to a different topic. Then this post wouldn't be in this topic anymore! So if you continued to use the above URL, what would happen is this: "okay I've loaded the page that starts with the 80th reply that is currently in topic ID 2743347, but there is no post on this page with ID 111031023, so I can't scroll anywhere"

• Example of "find this post, then scroll to another post" will be here when someone posts after me

• There are some variations on these two URL types. For example, on occasion you may see a link like this: http://www.chickensmoothie.com/Forum/viewtopic.php?t=2743347&p=111031023#p111031023

Usually you won't see these URLs. I'll leave it as an exercise to the reader to figure out how this URL may break. ;)
    2. Some posts don't have a post title. This means the user removed the post title. (Two of the most common reasons: the post is in an adoption thread and the poster doesn't want people to think they're giving away pets because of the post showing up on the home page, or the user just... removes post titles in all of their posts)

• Those on their computers can look for the link by pressing Tab (find next link) or Shift + Tab (find previous link). On mobile without an external keyboard? lolnope :'D

Upsides:
    • This is the link you want to use if you have a Table of Contents in the first post and you're linking to a bunch of posts that are all on the first page. But make sure that you have the URL with the f=6&t=2743347 in it! This way, when people go to your thread, they won't have to reload the page when they use your ToC. The # means "scroll to", right? So it won't reload the page.
  2. Right below the post title, in the byline (says by username » date, so for me it would say by nickjr), at the very beginning there's a little paper icon. [Fun fact: the paper is red if this is the first time you've loaded the post, white if you have loaded the post previously. The color does not affect the link.] Click on that paper icon. You should have a permalink to that post. If you look at the URL, you'll notice that it's telling your browser "find this post to CS, then scroll to that post"

• This link will NEVER fail, even if the post gets moved to a different thread! Well... it will fail if the exact post that you're looking for has been removed--in which case there's nothing you can do about it anyway lol

Here is the permalink for this post: http://www.chickensmoothie.com/Forum/viewtopic.php?p=111031023#p111031023
      Notice that using this URL will tell your browser "find post ID 111031023 on CS, then scroll to post ID 111031023". Those are the same IDs, so this link will always work! unless this post or the thread that it is in gets removed, neither of which will happen because this post doesn't break any rules and this thread is fine LOL

• This is NOT the link you want to use if you're creating a ToC for a thread and your links are on the first page! Otherwise your thread visitors will end up loading the thread a lot when they use your ToC, because your links are telling the browser "find this post on CS"--aka "load this post on CS"--with every link.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm not sure if this should go here (or anywhere), but I thought I may as well post it.

Attachments drive everyone up the wall, right? Here's a little bit about how (I think) they work.

You know how when you put an attachment "inline", BBCode pops up? Take a look at the BBCode; for convenience, I'm going to reference this post:
Code: Select all
[attachment=0]best_horse_I_can_draw.png[/attachment]

The tag is called attachment. The value of attachment is 0. If you attach more attachments, then the value will count up (see this post's code for an example; I'm not using that as my reference because that's... not close to an ideal reference post lol)

I'm guessing that what the attachment tag does is that it looks at the post that it appears in for attachments and then pulls them up.

The stuff between the opening and closing attachment tags is the "File comment" by default, which is the name of the image by default, but it can be changed in the post without real consequence. The image name will show up under the image regardless. What the text between the tags does is change what is shown if the image doesn't load.

This is why quoting posts with attachments will get you something like this:
nickjr wrote:There's also an option to upload your images from your computer directly into CS posts if you don't want to upload them offsite ^^

When you go to the full post editor (not the quick reply), there are two tabs under the "Save Draft", "Preview", and "Submit" buttons: "Options" and "Upload attachment". Click on "Upload attachment", look for your file, then click "Add the file".

best_horse_I_can_draw.png

You can then leave the file options alone, and it'll appear at the end of your post. However, you can click "Place inline" to place your uploaded image elsewhere in the post, like I did above ^^

[snip]

If I change the text inside:
nickjr wrote:There's also an option to upload your images from your computer directly into CS posts if you don't want to upload them offsite ^^

When you go to the full post editor (not the quick reply), there are two tabs under the "Save Draft", "Preview", and "Submit" buttons: "Options" and "Upload attachment". Click on "Upload attachment", look for your file, then click "Add the file".

This is nickjr's best horse ever

You can then leave the file options alone, and it'll appear at the end of your post. However, you can click "Place inline" to place your uploaded image elsewhere in the post, like I did above ^^

[snip]

I highlighted "the post that [the attachment tag] appears in" because it's the reason that quoting posts with attachments results in stuff like the above by default. The attachment is part of the original post, not this post! I'm only quoting the original post.

To "fix" this without changing the code, "all you have to do" is upload the attachment again to the post that you are using to quote the original post with attachments. (e.g. I would have to upload that fabulous horse picture to this post.) And if there are multiple attachments, then you have to make sure the numbers line up, too (i.e. the count starts at 0 and goes up, so upload the images in the order of their numbers in the original post).

I feel like this fix isn't that nice, though. You're uploading a duplicate image directly onto CS. Imagine if this was commonplace. Poor Nick :lol:

So here's a different fix! To reference the image outside of the original post, you just treat it like any other image! Right click the image in the post and copy the image URL. Then place it inside img tags.
Voila! Didn't even need to go to a third party site to show y'all my fabulous horse right here in this post.

That being said, it would probably be better for CS if this solution also is not commonplace lol best to keep the server load to CS stuff rather than personal stuff... CS isn't an image hosting site free for public use for anything and everything haha

(if Nick ever reads this post, I bet he'll laugh at my explanations lol I only have introductory formal education on how the internet and browsers and the web work, and I didn't bother actually looking up how the attachment tag works for phpbb forums)
Spread the word to end the word, because discrimination based on perceived or actual IQ/"intelligence" is no better than discrimination based on race, gender, etc.

Context, consistency, and clear antecedents are golden.
I neither read nor speak between the lines. But I will analyze your language.

Often on phone |||| Timezone: EDT/EST (CS Time -4/-5) |||| Very turbulent life IRL
Intentionally turned off signatures; PMs off June 2013 - June 2020, may turn off again later
Banner by Moonflight Image It's been over 10 years since my request, and I still love it. Thank you so much!

Character in avatar is from CS's 2015 Sucrose City summer event. Border made by me in MS Paint, Windows 8.1 xD
nickjr

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Guest » Tue Aug 01, 2017 7:29 am

@nickjr

Ah, sorry for the late reply. Those tips are very helpful, I'll add them now.

This thread is also getting a little messy but I don't know how to clean it up. I've forgotten to add who submitted which tip. :(

Postby nickjr » Tue Aug 01, 2017 8:23 am

Organization and layout give me headaches, too ||OTL

Also your paraphrasing is good! -thumbs up-
Spread the word to end the word, because discrimination based on perceived or actual IQ/"intelligence" is no better than discrimination based on race, gender, etc.

Context, consistency, and clear antecedents are golden.
I neither read nor speak between the lines. But I will analyze your language.

Often on phone |||| Timezone: EDT/EST (CS Time -4/-5) |||| Very turbulent life IRL
Intentionally turned off signatures; PMs off June 2013 - June 2020, may turn off again later
Banner by Moonflight Image It's been over 10 years since my request, and I still love it. Thank you so much!

Character in avatar is from CS's 2015 Sucrose City summer event. Border made by me in MS Paint, Windows 8.1 xD
nickjr

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Guest » Wed Aug 02, 2017 9:19 am

Haha yeah, I love things being neat but I don't know how to do it.

I'm glad! I just want it to be easily understandable while being correct at the same time.

Postby Guest » Sun Aug 13, 2017 7:49 am

>> Casually bumps

Postby Guest » Thu Aug 24, 2017 12:16 pm

Bumps

Postby Simon » Thu Aug 24, 2017 3:36 pm

A small tip I often have to inform users of (So I am guessing a good amount of users might not be aware of this) is that if a thread gets locked, you can still retrieve the coding from posts by pressing the PM button located to the right underneath the avatar of the poster. Not sure if this is "hidden" enough to add but I thought I would share ^^
Simon
Admin

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me