Suggestion: Pings avaliable on CS? 400+ SUPPORT!

Suggest new features or changes to Chicken Smoothie.

Should member mentions be added into CS?

Yes, I Support! (Post why down below)
94%
No, I Don't Support! (Post why down below)
5%
Other (Post Below)
1%

Total votes : 676

Suggestion: Pings avaliable on CS? 400+ SUPPORT!

Postby Mythic » Mon Jun 01, 2015 3:46 pm

I've seen on other sites where you can mention a member without quoting their whole posts, and I think CS should implement a system in which you can click a button (much like the quote button) and it will mention a member for you. And maybe have a multiple mention button when you need more than one. If possible, when you click on the @mention you are brought to the users page.

People might say that it would be easy to type out the username of the person, but if you want to reply back to a larger amount of certain people it can be quite the hassle. Especially if the member has a long or mostly symbol username. I see this a lot on boards such as the CAAA where users mass-reply to one another. The mentions system would make it much more efficient.

Also people might say that quotes are about the same, but if you don't want to make your posts an unreadable mess you could use the mentions. It would clear up conversations and make replying to a lot of people easier.

It shouldn't be too hard to put into the code, since I'm very sure Nick wouldn't have a hard time coding it. It's not too horribly complicated and it will add a lot to the site, making peoples posts a lot more coherent and less cluttery.

Also, there should be a way to disable you from getting notifications, it would make everyone happy I think. I just like to personally know when someone is talking to me without having to search through the threads I'm on when I could know at the click of a button. I'm on so many different threads that I'm incredibly sure I miss some peoples replies to me and that makes me feel bad because I really do try to remember everything I reply on. And I'm sure there's many more people that post a lot more content.

Thanks for reading. Vote whether you agree or not in the poll above.

TL;DR Version
Argument: It would be too hard to code into CS.

Counter Argument: The CS forums are run on phpbb and they have an easy downloadable plugin for @ notifications. All that would probably needed to code is an area up by the "My Posts" Button. Site linked below.
https://www.phpbb.com

Argument: Since we can change our usernames it might cause issues with the system.

Counter Arguement: Each user has a specific code on this site. You can find it by going to your profile page. The number on the very end of your URL is your number. For example mine is 30130, the system will use this instead of your username to ping you.

Argument: I don't like pings.

Counter Argument: You might not like them, but many other users will find them helpful. Hopefully this system will allow you to disable them like how you can disable PM's.
Last edited by Mythic on Sat Dec 12, 2020 2:48 am, edited 31 times in total.
Mythic

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Re: Member Mentions Suggestion @member name

Postby tawnypelt3 » Mon Jun 01, 2015 5:17 pm

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2655256

That thread and another linked in a post there both are not the thread I was looking for, but they'll do.

I personally don't like this idea, since I'm not a fan of social media anything. I can see how it would be useful, I just don't like it. Personal feelings aside, I see some problems with this as well as points missing:

I don't think it would be difficult to make "@username" or whatever turn into a notification to someone. But, where do you see your notifications? At the top by "new messages" and such? When you click that what do you see? A list of your notifications since you last checked your "inbox" and when you click on them they do what? Go to the post where the person typed "@username?" You don't plan that out, and if CS decided to do this they'd have to think about more than just "oh it's not too hard to do."

Mythic wrote:If possible, when you click on the @mention you are brought to the users page.

What do you mean by this, their profile? If so, that would only be useful if the person you're tagging hasn't already posted on the thread, which takes away half the purpose of what is basically a neater version of quoting. The other half is using tagging to bring a certain thread to someone's attention, because you think they'd be interested in it or whatever other reason.

This could very easily be misused to spam the forum and even harass users. Trolling isn't exactly against the rules, depending on how it's done, but it is also a possibility and many people find trolls very annoying. I feel it would be similar to the problem spoiler tags can create when misused on other sites; someone could tag multiple people and/or do it in every single post they make, even the most pointless post that not everyone needs to know about, just like I see people making 10,000 spoiler buttons only to annoy others with "hi" or something. Regarding how I believe this could take away some of the purpose of PMs, people could tag each other over and over on the forums with a conversation that could better belong in PMs, which could often be spam.

I think that's all I got ta say, might have forgotten somethin'. Ah, well. There you go, all my brain speak.
I was hacked. Not going to remake all my groups and such unless I feel like it. That's a lotta work. Don't bother with trades, everything's a mess.

Need: Image
Will offer reasonable overpay.
Note to self:
Reduce idiot level.
tawnypelt3

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Mythic » Mon Jun 01, 2015 5:51 pm

Oh, I wasn't meaning the notifications. It would be used similar to the quoting but without all of the unnecessary mess. Notifications would be great but this site hardly ever changes things like that. The last time I remember having a huge technical change to the forum was the inclusion of the oekaki board.

And saying someone's username in a malicious way is already something people can do, and it's already banned on the site as a form of bullying. So having a @ sign in front of it won't change it an awful lot.

And there's nothing too wrong with social media but this is a social site where users like to know when they are replied to. I don't want this site to become the next tumblr or Facebook, but having a mention would be nice to have. Nick has coded several harder things into the site core so I think something that would help the site become more social would be alright. This forum in it's entirety is really stagnant in ways of changing. Even sub-boards we really need haven't been implemented even though hundreds of people agree we need them. I mean it's sort of nice to have an older style forum, but a small change like what I listed above would only be of help to the users.

And spam already happens on the site anyways. If someone was spamming my username over and over I would simply report them. I think mostly it would be used correctly. It's not like people spam huge quotes to one another just because we have quotes avalible on the site, and if they did they would get warnings just like everyone else.

Also, there should be a way to disable you from getting notifications, it would make everyone happy I think. I just like to personally know when someone is talking to me without having to search through the threads I'm on when I could know at the click of a button. I'm on so many different threads that I'm incredibly sure I miss some peoples replies to me and that makes me feel bad because I really do try to remember everything I reply on. And I'm sure there's many more people that post a lot more content.

Sorry if this is horribly rambley, it's 3 in the morning here.
Mythic

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Shian » Tue Jun 02, 2015 3:40 am

Flight Rising has it and it seems to be pretty useful. I'd love it because the search function still won't work with special characters, making it impossible to search for posts that mention you.
Maybe this kind of system would actually work for those with special characters in their username.
ImageImage
Come buy old rare pets in bulk for gems!
Shian

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Mythic » Tue Jun 02, 2015 9:42 pm

Yeah, I think it would be pretty useful here as well. I've been on multiple sites with it on and I have hardly ever seen it misused.
Mythic

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby kivr & fireflii » Wed Jun 03, 2015 4:33 am

As of now I can only see the pros of having the mention, it's super useful in my opinion to ping the user
so that one can reply/keep up with things like art shops c:
But of course with the option to turn it off as well.
kivr centers | fireflii signs
kivr & fireflii

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Fantelle » Wed Jun 03, 2015 8:32 am

I'd love an adjustable (on/off) notification option. Quoting included.
| she/her | cs+2 | adult |

| instagram | flight rising | toyhouse | commissions |
Fantelle

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Mythic » Wed Jun 03, 2015 9:56 am

Yeah! I'll add that to my first post. :3
Mythic

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby kinibee » Wed Jun 03, 2015 3:31 pm

I would absolutely love this. On the forums I've been on it has been absolutely useful.

╔══════════════════════════════╗
- kinibee ★ virgo -
╚══════════════════════════════╝

╔═════════════════════════╗
deviantarttoyhouse
adoptsNyms
It is possible to commit no mistakes and
still lose. That is not a weakness; that is life.

╚═════════════════════════╝

kinibee

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Seasonal » Wed Jun 03, 2015 6:17 pm

Support, I think this would be a lovely addition! c: