Suggestion - a slight change to rarity bars

Suggest new features or changes to Chicken Smoothie.

Suggestion - a slight change to rarity bars

Postby Kotoliszka » Thu Nov 14, 2013 1:30 am

Hello.
I'm probably not the only one who likes sorting pets in their trade groups by rarity. I've noticed that Very common and Common image bars have a similar colour and I find it quite hard to distinguish between those when quickly going through all my pets.
I think it would be a good idea to change Very common's colour to blue, similar to the one I believe is used for the OMG so common bar (which could become purple) (ETA: I think even a colour similar to turquoise would do the trick(ETA again: it DOESN'T have to be the exact colour I've shown, it can be darker or a different shade)). It would make sorting pets by rarity significantly easier.
Last edited by Kotoliszka on Sat Dec 14, 2013 1:35 am, edited 5 times in total.
Kotoliszka

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Re: Suggestion - a slight change to rarity bars

Postby nickjr » Thu Nov 14, 2013 5:13 am

Support.

My monitor distinguishes between colors very nicely (woot! Same goes for my phone), but for those two colors, it's hard to see the difference at a first glance.

Yes, it's easy to see the difference when they're out side by side like the way DD put them, and yeah, you can just look at the text instead of the colors... but when you're just glancing over them and the text becomes blurred/inconsequential (and they're already pretty similar anyway; the word "very" doesn't make much of a difference when I'm skimming over things quickly), it's very hard to distinguish them at a glance. I have to actually focus/concentrate in order to tell the difference between the text and the date (and, usually, the name as well; yes, I do like giving my pets names when I adopt them, and it takes too long to go and erase the names of my trade pets) when I'm skimming over them (which is one of the reasons I'm using the color-coded bars instead of the text...), so no, I cannot just look at the text.

When rarity changes come out, I can easily find the yellows in a sea of green or the cherries in a group or oranges or the oranges hidden in the yellows. I can even distinguish the teals in a group of blues because the blue for OMGSC is rather deep. But it's difficult to find the greens in a sea of teal; they're too similar.

It's not just a problem when sorting my groups, either! I've had to back up and rethink my decision on several trades involving commons and very commons. (It doesn't seem like a big deal until you realize that someone who wants your 2011 common is actually offering a 2012 very common, not a 2012 common. At least, that's a big deal to me since it seems like the gap gets a little dangerous. And since I usually don't want to edit for fear of what the other person might say...)

I'd been thinking it was just me with the problem ever since the labels came out; I had been terrified of bringing it up since I wasn't sure that anyone else would support this. Glad to see I'm not the only one now.

Also, the stars' places do not mean much when you're just glancing at things; all that matters is which side it's on or if it's on the middle.

On phone with limited time; my apologies for any typos I didn't catch or awkward phrasing that I didn't have a chance to reword. Reworded a few things now. Should be okay now; let me know if there's something I should rephrase. I don't really like being misunderstood, so I want to prevent that. ^_^

edit: my second long post about this is here. It's getting buried -coughshamelessselfpromotioncough-
Last edited by nickjr on Sun Mar 09, 2014 7:44 am, edited 3 times in total.
Spread the word to end the word, because discrimination based on perceived or actual IQ/"intelligence" is no better than discrimination based on race, gender, etc.

Context, consistency, and clear antecedents are golden.
I neither read nor speak between the lines. But I will analyze your language.

Often on phone |||| Timezone: EDT/EST (CS Time -4/-5) |||| Very turbulent life IRL
Intentionally turned off signatures; PMs off June 2013 - June 2020, may turn off again later
Banner by Moonflight Image It's been over 10 years since my request, and I still love it. Thank you so much!

Character in avatar is from CS's 2015 Sucrose City summer event. Border made by me in MS Paint, Windows 8.1 xD
nickjr

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Shian » Thu Nov 14, 2013 9:13 am

I would also like to see them changed to turquoise or some other not-as-close-to-green shade. :)
ImageImage
Come buy old rare pets in bulk for gems!
Shian

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Sagaline » Thu Nov 14, 2013 11:41 am

Support!

I've never been able to tell the difference between those two, and at this point I've given up trying XD
I'm Sagaline on Flight Rising as well. If you can't find me here I might be over there.
Sagaline

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby chescab » Thu Nov 14, 2013 11:50 am

I agree. I use my phone allot for editing and sending trades and it is horrible at seeing the differences between bars unless you pay close attention to them. Even my computer is 7 or so years old and has trouble seeing the difference between the 2 colours. Now I understand as the years go on the problem of differentiating between the 2 colours because of older computers and phones will decrease as people get new computers that show different colours better but I think it would be nice to have the fix now as opposed to later.
Open to trading anything on CS for FR currency. I'm chescab there if anyone wants to trade.
chescab

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Schuyler » Thu Nov 14, 2013 12:31 pm

I've personally never had this problem because I go by the words instead of the color (even from just a quick glance--two words = very common, one = common), and that's always worked fine for me. But then again, I don't organize by rarity except for my rares/very rares, so I don't need to distinguish between very common and common much.
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImageImage
Art credits: Avatar
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImage
...............ImageImage
Schuyler
Global Moderator

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Shian » Fri Nov 15, 2013 6:59 am

I would like to add that while yes, it can be made functional by looking at the words instead or looking at where the star is instead, why do I have to "not look at what I want changed" simply because there's other ways of getting around the problem?
That's not a good enough reason to not change it IMO, especially when it'll take what, a few seconds to fix? Maybe a whole minute.

That's like saying, "Yes, there's a mouse in the room, but if we look at the cat, we can just ignore the mouse just fine."
*whispers* Why not get rid of the mouse?

It's hard to see the difference between the two colors. It would be nice if it were changed. It's kind of odd to have this system with bright colors so you can see at a very quick glance the difference between a rare and a very rare, but have two shades of green for the commons instead of say, every color in the light blue spectrum. Or grey. Or pink Or anything that's not as close to the green that's used.
ImageImage
Come buy old rare pets in bulk for gems!
Shian

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Nixsole » Fri Nov 15, 2013 9:29 am

I agree, it would be really nice to have something with a bit more contrast. But making the omg so common purple would be a bad idea in my opinion, since the omg so rare is purple. But changing it to something else would be really helpful when trying to sort out what's what.
Nixsole

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Besketball » Fri Nov 15, 2013 1:47 pm

I don't support.

1. You could read the name.
2. You could mentally know where the star stands on the chart.
3. You can determine how the colors are different easily.

It's quite simple, but I understand some people don't have good screens. c: Maybe just read the text?
----------------------

----------------------

i hoard foxes. trades with them are always appreciated. the more the merrier. quantity > quality.

----------------------

----------------------
Besketball

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me