Creating a successful Species Competition Guide

Come adopt or share user-created adoptable species here.
Forum rules
These adoptables are not official CS pets and cannot be added to your CS account.
Art theft is not tolerated here. Do not copy/trace/edit/use anybody's pictures without their express permission.
If you are unsure, read the full art rules here.

Once-off adoptables belong in Character Sales and Design Shops: Forum/viewforum.php?f=69

Creating a successful Species Competition Guide

Postby Bean_Cake » Thu Apr 12, 2018 3:47 am

Welcome

Here are some other guides you may find helpful:

None yet

Have you ever had an idea for a species, but couldn't draw them yourself?

Have you ever opened a Species comp to try and get a Species, but got no or very few entries that interested you?

Then this guide can help you! As an original member from 2011, I always dreamed of having my own successful Species. I tried so many things to get others to enter my comps but I always came up empty handed. It was frustrating and stressful trying to create my own species with no luck, until I found a system...

WIP, this guide will cover how to hit all the key points when creating your own species & how to set up a successful Species Competition to help things run smoother.

Please no posting yet! Also, please let me know if this was posted in the wrong place.
Last edited by Bean_Cake on Thu Apr 12, 2018 6:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bean_Cake

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Creating a Species Guide

Postby Bean_Cake » Thu Apr 12, 2018 4:20 am

First I'm going to cover how I look at creating a Species, below is a point system I use for myself when creating a Species. This point system has no real winning number and is instead based off of the amount of work put into the species, the more points- the more original the species. More important features have higher points, you may ajust the point system to your liking. Feel free to skip this part if you'd like.

(1) Species:

- Have Adult, teen, child & nursery lines (20p each)
- Have both male and female adult lines (5p each)
- Original ideas/creative physical body features/build (50p)

(2) Mutations:

- Eye mutations (2p each)
- Nose mutations (1p each)
- Ear mutations (3p each)
- Body fur mutations (2p each)
- Extra fur/mane mutations (2p each)
- Tail mutations (3p each)
- Special species features mutations: feathers, magic, etc. (3p each)
- Extra mutations: horns, etc. (3p each)

(3) References:

- Eye ref (10p)
- Full face ref (20p)
- Paw ref (10p)
- Genders (5p)
- Pellet ref (10p)
- Rarities (10p)
- Mouth ref (5p)
- Special species features refs: feathers, magic, etc. (10p)

(4) Information:

- Species name (20p)
- Species description (20p)
- Lore (10p)
- Anatomy (10p)
- Gender differences (10p)
- Locations found (10p)
- Relationships (10p)
- Diet (10p)
- Breeding (10p)

(5) Extras: optional

- Stamps/Banners (15p each)
- Sketches/Art (30p each)

These are the fundamentals to building your species and organizing thoughts. After you have the basics down of what your species will look like and the number of mutations and special features it will have, you can now start to sketch your species or open a compation to line them.

Last edited by Bean_Cake on Thu Apr 12, 2018 9:27 am, edited 2 times in total.
Bean_Cake

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Creating a Species Competition

Postby Bean_Cake » Thu Apr 12, 2018 5:02 am

I'll be adding step by step screen shots later on to better help visulize.

(1) Getting Started
we'll start by going to the compation form and creating our blank canvas, I recommend having a background or set of backgrounds for people to draw the species on.

(2) About your Comp
Introduce your comp with a short paragraph about why you'd like to open an adoption center for your species or your own species shop. People have second thoughts if they believe the owner can not care for their species or that the comp may be cancelled, have pride/faith that your species will succeed and stand by your ideas.

(3) Likes/Dislikes
List current real &/or CS species that you like or make a list of species features that you like/dislike. (What you're looking for)

If you have a Species you created and want it lined, be sure to place as much info as possible here for people to work with. This includes; info, sketches, art, etc.

(4) Boosters
List boosters to encourage people to include more in their entry. Use the "Creating a Species Guide" listed above to point out what you're looking for most. You don't have to include the point system, this may drive some people away.

(5) Prizes
On another page: list your prizes for the comp. Keep in mind: CS rules state any pet offered in a comp MUST be given out.

- Grand Prize: This should be a list pet, and should be prepared to let it go to the winner of your comp.

- First Prize: This should be high value pet(s), normally either the winner chooses the grand prize or 1st prize, but due to CS comp rules this will be your second first place winner if you have a grand prize.

- Second Prize: This should be high demand rares, or valued uncommon pets. (2011 or older)

- Third Prize: a handful of commons/uncommons/ average rares

Some people collect pets into a "prize pool" filled with rares, high demand pets and store pets that winners can pick from. It's good to include a "Rares" prize pool & an "common/uncommon" prize pool and let winners pick a certain amount from each, if you choose to do a prize pool. This lets people feel like they are getting more for their entries.

Some people have a "everyone wins" prize, meaning that everyone who enters (even if their entry isn't complete) will receive some WL pets or just a hand full of pets for trying out. I recommend having a collection of spar event pets set aside for this, as event pets are worth more then normal pets. Try to offer everyone who enters 5+ pets, WL if possible or pick at random. I personally think this is a great way to get others to enter your comp.

(6) Finishing Touches
- include an end date, your comp should be anywhere from 1-3 months
-

Last edited by Bean_Cake on Thu Apr 12, 2018 6:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bean_Cake

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Re: Creating a successful Species Competition Guide

Postby Bean_Cake » Thu Apr 12, 2018 6:03 am

Mark, posting open. Feel free to voice any questions or concerns. I want to try and help everyone create a successful competition.
Bean_Cake

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me