Tribe of the Shrouded Mist | DNP

Are you a writer or a poet? Come and share your creations with us, or discuss writing techniques with others
Forum rules
Please only post your own original work, do not post poetry or stories which were written by someone else.

Tribe of the Shrouded Mist | DNP

Postby winter solstice. » Sun Dec 17, 2017 9:36 pm

Welcome to my archive! These cats live in the Cascades range of Washington state, USA.

More info later oop
Last edited by winter solstice. on Sun Jan 12, 2020 4:17 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Hello, I'm winter! Hope you have a great day or night wherever you live~!

Winter / Fairy / Gale
Formerly FairyCharmed
She/Her - Korea - UTC+9hrs.
winter solstice.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Re: [DNP] Tribe of the Shrouded Mist

Postby winter solstice. » Mon Dec 18, 2017 12:22 am

The Territory

The Tribe of the Shrouded Mist makes the mist-shrouded mountains of the Pacific Northwest region of the western United States their home. And as such, the area is hilly, mountainous, and the ground moist and wet, making for a pretty harsh place for cats to live; however, these cats have learned how to navigate through the treacherous boggy, rocky, or otherwise hard places for cats to tread using the thick pawpads they have developed over the years. The territory’s boundaries are marked by four distinct markers in the four cardinal directions.

To the west, a large cliff abruptly ends into the rushing waters below. This cliff is known as “Branch’s Last Stand”, where, according to legend, a cat named Branch of Strong Oak was driven to this cliff by a large bear. In desperation and defiance, the cat jumped to their death, rather than be mauled to death by the dangerous beast. The sheer cliff was named in their honor, and young Tribe to-bes and young prey-hunters are forbidden to venture out there by themselves, in fear of losing them to the waters below, just as Branch of Strong Oak had perished.

To the north, a small grove of silver birch trees line the border, beyond which an abandoned Twoleg nest lies. The nest is an abandoned barn, where mice thrive; however, due to their pride, no Tribe cat will venture further than the silver birch grove, unless desperate for prey during the heat of greenleaf or the cold of leaf-bare. The Tribe calls the grove “Silverleaf Forest”.

To the east lies an old Thunderpath. Though no Twoleg or monster has been spotted in recent seasons, the acrid scent of both monsters and Twolegs linger there, and not many cats like to go there during patrols, even if the Thunderpath marks the border.

To the south lies a river, where the Clan uses as a hunting ground for fish and other prey easily found nearby. In newleaf, however, the river swells and overflows its banks, forcing Tribe cats into the camp for many days at a time.

Notable Places
The Camp: The camp of the Tribe of the Shrouded Mist lies within a sheltered valley between two peaks. It is covered from the peering gaze of flying predators, such as eagles and owls, by the thick foliage of the trees growing tall above them. The cats of the tribe have fashioned dens out of hollowed out logs and between the massive root systems of fallen trees. They like to make nests out of the fallen leaves of the ground, and some may like to collect pebbles from the river by the southern borders to decorate the outside of their nests with.

The Pool of Shimmering Ripples: A pool located near the northern edge of camp, led back to camp by a narrow trail, it is where the Teller of the Skipping Stones, or Stoneskipper, resides. This is where the Tribe-Healer makes his or her home, and this is where he or she skips stones across the pool to interpret the signs of the Tribe of Endless Hunting.

Silverleaf Forest: A small forest of silver birch trees growing at the Tribe’s northern borders, this place is full of prey all year. However, this is where the most sightings of bears and wolves have been reported from, and only the most experienced prey-hunters and tribe-guards go to hunt and patrol.

Branch’s Last Stand: A cliff at the west border of Tribe territory, this is where the mythical Branch of Strong Oak perished when they chose to leap to their death instead of be mauled by a bear that had cornered them there. Many a to-be dare one another to try to reach its edge; however, no one actually is able to go there due to the danger it poses. Only the most cautious and experienced tribe-guards go to patrol there, while prey-hunters, whatever experience they have, are forbidden here.

Sky Pine: An easily recognizable landmark in the area, and the one landmark tribe cats who travel outside the territory use to pinpoint their location relative to their territory, the Sky Pine is an ancient white pine tree, rumored to have been planted by the Tribe of Endless Hunting themselves, where to-bes, especially those training to becoming prey-hunters, train their climbing skills. This is where the monthly climbing competitions take place every full moon, during the day, encouraging young cats to prove their climbing prowess and experience.

Winter / Fairy / Gale
Formerly FairyCharmed
winter solstice.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby winter solstice. » Mon Dec 18, 2017 12:25 am

Ranks Explained

The Tribe of the Shrouded Mist, being a Tribe, have the following ranks: Tribe-Healer, Tribe-Healer To-Be, Prey-Hunters, Tribe-Guards, To-Bes, Kit-Mothers, Kits, and Elders.

Tribe-Healer: the healer of the Tribe, known as the Teller of the Skipping Stones (Stoneskipper for short), this cat also doubles as leader of the Tribe. He or she sees to the order of the Tribe’s everyday activities, as well as take care of any injuries or illnesses Tribe cats face on a daily basis. He or she also uses the Pool of Shimmering Ripples to interpret the Tribe of Endless Hunting’s signs.

Tribe-Healer To-Be: This cat is a cat who has been trained in the ways of a Tribe-Healer, for the day when the current one dies. This cat is only picked when the Tribe-Healer deems a cat is worthy enough to train as a Tribe-Healer.

Prey-Hunters: These cats usually have smaller builds, with shorter fur better suited to running swiftly. They are meant to be fast cats who use their strength for prey-killing, not for fighting.

Tribe-Guards: These cats are stockier of build for the most part, and are better suited to brushing up against rogues and predators that prowl around and in the territory. These cats’ main responsibility is to guard the Tribe camp, go on border patrols, and assist prey-hunters when there is news of predators nearby.

To-Bes: the Tribe equivalent of Clans’ apprentices, these young cats who are old enough to meet the requirement (six moons of age) will be brought before the Stoneskipper to be appraised. The Tribe-Healer will determine if the kit will make a better prey-hunter or tribe-guard, or even his or her own to-be.

Kit-Mothers: The Tribe equivalent to queens of the Clans, these she-cats are nursing or expecting kits, and are the most protected of all Tribe cats, even more so than the Stoneskipper.

Kits: Younger than six moons old, these young kittens are the future of the Tribe. As such, they are not usually seen separated from their mothers or the nursery, spending their early lives sheltered by the fierce cats of the Tribe.

Elders: These are cats who have retired from active prey-hunter or tribe-guard duty. As older members of the Tribe, elders are respected for the wisdom and experience they often share with others of the Tribe.

Winter / Fairy / Gale
Formerly FairyCharmed
winter solstice.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby winter solstice. » Mon Dec 18, 2017 12:26 am

Traditions

The cats of the Tribe of the Shrouded Mist have many traditions that set themselves apart from most other Tribes or even Clans, the most important of which is how the Tribe-Healer interprets the signs of their tribe ancestors, the Tribe of Endless Hunting. Outside of this tradition, there are the different words spoken during the different ceremonies, the choosing of a kit’s path of life, the final assessment before a to-be becomes a fully-fledged prey-hunter or tribe-guard, and the most peculiar of them all, the Heartstone Ceremony, conducted during a to-be ceremony.

Stoneskipper’s Way of Interpreting the Ancestors’ Signs: The Teller of the Skipping Stones, or Stoneskipper, performs this by using a common skipping stone in the Pool of the Shimmering Ripples to cause the stone to skip across the pool. Stoneskipper will then interpret the number of skips, as well as the ripples that move across the surface of the water, into signs from the ancestors.

Naming Traditions: A kit-mother will name her kit(s) after the first thing she sees or hears.

Winter / Fairy / Gale
Formerly FairyCharmed
winter solstice.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby winter solstice. » Mon Dec 18, 2017 12:33 am

Ceremonies

Most Tribes don’t really have special words to speak at ceremonies, especially during one where a to-be becomes a full-fledged guard or prey-hunter. However, the Tribe of the Shrouded Mist has a tradition dating back to the first Stoneskipper, who had once been a Clan cat named Rockfang, who was the only survivor of a vicious badger attack on his Clan that wiped the rest of his Clanmates out. Rockfang traveled far and wide as a rogue, thinking that StarClan had abandoned him and his doomed Clan, until the Tribe of Endless Hunting contacted him. It turned out that he had Tribe blood through a tribe cat who had been banished wrongfully for apparently murdering a sibling (which they had not done), and who had taken refuge within the Clan that Rockfang would eventually be born in.

When the Tribe-Healer calls for a meeting
Code: Select all
Tribe-Healer: Let all cats who catch their own prey gather here, beneath the Meeting Branch, for a Tribe meeting!

When a kit is old enough to become a to-be
Kit-mother to Tribe-Healer: I, [name], mother of [kit’s name], deem that (he/she) is of six moons, and therefore, ready to become a to-be in the service of the Tribe of the Shrouded Mist.
Kit’s father (if known; if not, this may be skipped): I, [name], father of [kit’s name], deem that (he/she) is of six moons, and therefore, ready to become a to-be in the service of the Tribe of the Shrouded Mist.
Tribe-Healer: I, Teller of the Skipping Stones, Tribe-Healer of the Tribe of the Shrouded Mist, speak these words before all of the Tribe so that they may hear and approve of my choice. [the Tribe-Healer examines the kit from head to toe.This may take a few minutes.]
Tribe-Healer: From this day forth, until (he/she) has proved (his/her) worth to the Tribe, [kit’s name] shall be a to-be, to train as a (prey-hunter/tribe-guard). [newly-appointed to-be approaches the Tribe-Healer with head lowered]
Tribe-Healer: (To the to-be) Go forth to the Pool of the Shimmering Ripples. There, pick a pebble that you feel as if you are connected to. It shall be your Heartstone, one that must be kept in your nest until you breathe your last. [to-be goes and does as they are told, and brings back a pebble, which is then placed in front of Stoneskipper]
Tribe-Healer: Cats of the Tribe! (He/She) has completed the Heartstone Ceremony! (He/She) has been blessed by our ancestors, and will be guided in (his/her) paws by the ones who have gone before us! [indicates a to-be-less cat of the same rank as the one assigned to the to-be] [name of (prey-hunter/tribe-guard)], you have proven to be a valuable (prey-hunter/tribe-guard) of our tribe. You will be mentor to [to-be]. Train (him/her) well. Teacher (him/her) well. [the to-be picks up the pebble and walks up to the mentor. Both touch noses, and sit to the side of the gathering]
Tribe members: [to-be’s nickname]! (repeated 3x)

At the final assessment; prey-hunter
Tribe-Healer: (to the mentor) Has [to-be] fully learned the ways of the quick-pawed prey-hunters of our Tribe?
Mentor: Yes, (he/she) has. (He/She) will be a valuable addition to the full ranks of the prey-hunters.
Tribe-Healer: (to the to-be) Are you ready for your final assessment?
To-Be: I am.
Tribe-Healer: Then you will travel to the Twoleg nest, beyond the Silverleaf Forest. Within this nest, you must sit vigil for the entire day, starting from sunrise to the sunrise the next day. When the new day dawns, you must bring back as much prey as you and your mentor carry back between the two of you. Your mentor and a tribe-guard will accompany you as far as the outside of the nest, but then will come back to camp; they will also come to bring you home again at sunhigh when your vigil and hunt are over. Do you understand?
To-Be: I do.
Tribe-Healer: [name of tribe-guard], you will accompany [to-be] and [mentor] to the Twoleg nest as a matter of precaution and safety.
Tribe-Guard: Yes, Stoneskipper. [the three leave as shouts of cheering and offering of luck are made from the rest of the Tribe]

At the final assessment; tribe-guard
Tribe-Healer: (to the mentor) Has [to-be] fully learned the ways of the sure-footed tribe-guards of our Tribe?
Mentor: Yes, (he/she) has. (He/She) will be a valuable addition to the full ranks of the tribe-guards.
Tribe-Healer: (to the to-be) Are you ready for your final assessment?
To-Be: I am
Tribe-Healer: Then you will travel to Branch’s Last Stand, the mighty cliff where Tribe traditions say that a brave prey-hunter refused to be killed by a bear and went to hunt with the Tribe of the Endless Hunting by jumping off the mighty reach. You will stand vigil from the sunrise to the sunrise of the next day there. Your mentor and another tribe-guard will be there throughout the day and night to assist you if anything were to go wrong. Do you understand?
To-Be: Yes I do.
Stoneskipper: [name of tribe-guard], you will accompany [to-be] and [mentor] to Branch’s Last Stand, to provide help to [to-be] if (he/she) needs it.
Tribe-Guard: Yes, Stoneskipper. [the three leave as shouts of cheering and offering of luck are made by the rest of the Tribe]

When the to-be completes the final assessment and returns to camp
Tribe-Healer: Cats of the Tribe! [to-be] has returned from (his/her) final assessment! The Tribe of Endless Hunting has guided (his/her) paws to succeed! (to the to-be) From this day forth, you are truly a full member of the Tribe of the Shrouded Mist, and a fully-fledged member of the (prey-hunters/tribe-guards). [wild cheering]

When a prey-hunter, tribe-guard, or kit-mother decides to retire from active Tribe duties
Tribe-Healer: [name], is it your wish to enter the elder’s den?
[name]: It is.
Tribe-Healer: The Tribe of the Shrouded Mist thanks you for your valuable experiences, and wishes you happy days for many moons to come.

Winter / Fairy / Gale
Formerly FairyCharmed
winter solstice.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby winter solstice. » Mon Dec 18, 2017 12:35 am

Predators and Prey

The Tribe of Shrouded Mist has dealt with many different dangers, both living and nonliving, as they go about their lives in the heavily-forested territory they have made for themselves. Some of the animals who threaten the safety of the Tribe of the Shrouded Mist include:

Bears: These large brown, sometimes black, creatures lumber around the forest, usually looking after their own cubs and minding no business to cats. However, if they think that the cats pose a threat to their young, these bears will lunge at a cat and easily crush the life out of them, using their considerable bulk and their powerful paw swipes.

Deer: While these animals do not pose a threat to cats in terms of actively hunting them down, these animals are known to wander into camp and cause alarm to many a cat.

Wolves: These dog-like animals pose the greatest threat, as they actively hunt larger animals like deer and cats. Coming in many colors and sizes, these creatures live in packs consisting of many members. While they do not venture outside of the Silverleaf Forest, wolves will not hesitate to attack cats seen within the forest, which they have claimed as their own.

Badgers: These creatures are known for digging holes in the ground to make dens, called sets. They will often venture into camp to try to steal kits to eat, and are highly aggressive, especially mothers with cubs. When battling, it is advised that cats fight in at least twos, as even a young badger can be extremely dangerous to cats.

Foxes: These cunning animals look somewhat similar to wolves, but do not travel in packs; instead, they will often live by themselves and come into camp at night to try to steal kits and other helpless cats to eat. When chasing foxes, cats are advised to attack in groups due to their size and aggressive behavior.

Rats: While one may make a treat for the Tribe cats, a swarm of many different rats may pose a danger, as their sharp teeth can slice through a cat’s fur and flesh, which can become infected if not treated early. Many rats are reported to live near the abandoned Thunderpath.

Eagles: These flying birds of prey are large, formidable birds who are large enough to carry a to-be off into the air. When fending off against them, many tribe-guards and prey-hunters must work together.

Hawks and Falcons: While not as big as eagles, these birds of prey are capable of causing a lot of damage to a cat with their sharp talons and beaks.

The types of prey animals found within the territory of the Tribe include mice, shrews, voles, squirrels, many different kinds of songbirds, and the occasional hare or rabbit.

Winter / Fairy / Gale
Formerly FairyCharmed
winter solstice.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby winter solstice. » Mon Dec 18, 2017 12:48 am

Wip.
Last edited by winter solstice. on Sun Jan 12, 2020 4:50 pm, edited 6 times in total.

Winter / Fairy / Gale
Formerly FairyCharmed
winter solstice.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby winter solstice. » Mon Dec 18, 2017 12:57 am

Borders

East: Thunderpath | Tribe | username
West: No tribe may be here (Branch's Last Stand / Cliff into river)
North: Silverleaf Forest | Tribe | username
South: River | Tribe | username

Ally Tribes

Tribe | username
Tribe | username
Tribe | username

Enemy Tribes

Tribe | username
Tribe | username
Tribe | username

Winter / Fairy / Gale
Formerly FairyCharmed
winter solstice.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Re: Tribe of the Shrouded Mist | DNP

Postby winter solstice. » Sun Jan 12, 2020 4:49 pm

Tribe of the Shrouded Mist
Number of Cats: 1 (1M / 0F)
Next Request: Anytime
Archive Thread: [url]Link[/url]

wip.

[ The tribe has 4 fasting moons left (1/5). ]
[ Stoneskipper hunts. ]
[ Stoneskipper patrols. ]
[ While patrolling, Stoneskipper looks out for herbs to gather. ]
[ Stoneskipper requests a prey-hunter. ]

Teller of the Skipping Stones:
          Teller of the Skipping Stones (Stoneskipper) | 25 moons | tom | a silver mackerel tabby mediumhair with hazel eyes

Tribe-Healer To-Be:
          Name | Age | Gender | [url=link]X[/url]

Prey-Hunters:

Tribe-Guards:

To-Bes:

Kit-Mothers:

Kits:

Elders:
    Ally Tribes:
    Tribe Name | Username
    Tribe Name | Username

Borders
    North | Tribe Name | Username
    South | Tribe of Ever Falling Snow | :*Lady Stardust*:
    East | Tribe Name | Username
    West | Tribe Name | Username
    Northeast | Tribe Name | Username
    Northwest | Tribe Name | Username
    Southeast | Tribe Name | Username
    Southwest | Tribe Name | Username

Medicine Store:
    Herb | Usage
    Herb | Usage

Fresh-Kill Pile:
    Mouse | x0 | 1 serving
    Shrew | x0 | 1 serving
    Fish | x0 | 2 servings
    Squirrel | x0 | 2 servings
    Birds | x0 | 3 servings
    Hare | x0 | 3 servings

Mentors:
    Mentor | To-Be | No. of training sessions | Moves
    Mentor | To-Be | No. of training sessions | Moves

Deceased Cats:
    Cat Name | Cause of Death
    Cat Name | Cause of Death

Family:
    Name and Name | Kits
    Name and Name | Kits

Winter / Fairy / Gale
Formerly FairyCharmed
winter solstice.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me