❛ the lazy writers ❜ V2

Are you a writer or a poet? Come and share your creations with us, or discuss writing techniques with others
Forum rules
Please only post your own original work, do not post poetry or stories which were written by someone else.

Re: ❛ the lazy writers ❜ V2

Postby cosmic-quark » Fri Jan 19, 2018 11:46 pm

Hey guys! I'm drafting out my next trilogy right now and I've run into a bit of a roadblock- I'm not sure what direction I want to take the second and third books. Any suggestions/advice/opinions/etc would be greatly appreciated <3

Some background first:
background wrote:It's a sci-fi set ambiguously in the not-so-distant future, approximately twenty to fifty years ahead of our time. There's a lot of new and improved technology (although most of it is intended more for scientific than public use) as well as a noticeable cultural emphasis on STEM fields and research. There's also been a shift in higher education. Many universities have become completely specialized, focusing solely on a certain field and offering few classes and almost no majors outside of this field. Fields can revolve around concepts such as "space" (including researchers, engineers, potential astronauts, etc) or "arts" (including visual artists, writers, choreographers, etc) or "marine" (biologists, engineers, oceanographers, etc), and so on. The general concept behind these universities is to educate students alongside the people they are likely to work with in their future careers and to devote all of the university's resources to one specific field. Traditional universities still exist, but the specialized ones are considered more elite and with higher standards for education.

Alexis and Charlie are the main characters in the novel. They both attended the same university- focused on space science- until Charlie dropped out freshman year. The first book begins halfway through Alexis' senior year. Charlie, who's been traveling to observatories and etc around the country, returned to the area in the summer to try to finish her research. Realizing she can't do it alone, she goes to the one person she vaguely remembers from freshman year for help. After much convincing, Alexis agrees to work with Charlie to find proof that alien life exists. The main plot revolves around their attempts to find and track a signal successfully, and the novel ends with an alien ship crash landing before them.

My problem is that I'm not sure where I want to take the plot from there. I have two rough ideas for the following two books, but I don't know which one sounds more appealing or would work better with the plot.

Idea 1: Book 2 mainly focuses on helping the alien inside in the ship recover from the crash and hide/blend in while they try to fix the ship with their limited Earth supplies. There's strong focus on character relationships and meaningless technobabble, with an ongoing subplot featuring Alexis and Charlie's almost-not-quite relationship. A fourth character, an astronautical engineer major, will likely be introduced. At the end, they manage to fix the ship enough to get the alien back to the main shuttle. Charlie, who's always longed for adventure, decides to go with him; Alexis, who's desperate to leave a meaningful legacy, stays to present the evidence of alien life existing.
Book 3 is set two or three years later. Alexis is struggling to deal with the responsibilities of her sudden fame (giving lectures, explaining her research, giving interviews, etc) while also working towards her PhD. The alien suddenly returns, claiming that Charlie is in trouble and needs her help. The primary conflict will revolve around saving/helping Charlie. At the end, she again invites Alexis to come with her to explore the universe. Alexis feels like she's accomplished her goal and is free to pursue other dreams; she accepts and they depart.

Idea 2: In this version, the landing on Earth was intentional (though not the crashing). After his crew was hijacked by a virus/corruption in system, the alien managed to sneak off board in an escape pod and land on the closest planet in hope of finding help. The ship only takes a few days to fix in this version, since the alien has all the tools on hand, and the main conflict focuses on retaking the main ship and getting rid of the virus/corruption/etc. The ending is the same as in Idea 1.
Book 3 begins the same way. Charlie and the alien come back to visit Alexis after three years of traveling; however, the alien behind he virus of the main ship tracks Charlie back to Earth and vows to get revenge. The plot revolves around this conflict. The ending is also the same.

The first idea is more character-focused, the second is more action/plot-focused. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Sorry this is so long haha <3

(Also, does anyone have any better name ideas for Alexis? She's had that name for half a year now but it still doesn't seem to fit right ^^ )
          ImageImageImageImageImageImage
          ╭━━━━━━━╮
          ╰━━━━━━━╯
          ╭━━━━━━━╮
          cosmic-quark
          she/her aro ace
          future astrophysicist
          Buying characters!
          Design Contest!
          ╰━━━━━━━╯
cosmic-quark

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Silver Pandorica » Sat Jan 20, 2018 11:29 am

@hawkkeye- I love the idea so far! I’ve always wanted to write a post-apocalyptic story yeee. I’m pretty blank on ideas right now, but if you ever want anyone to read over it once you start writing, hmu! I’d love to read it.

@cosmic-quark- Wow, okay. I love this idea so much, haha. So, just from my personal standpoint after reading both options, I think option two sounds much better plot-wise. However, just because you’ll be focusing greatly on the plot doesn’t mean you can’t also focus a lot on the characters and their development. I think if you mixed a decent around of character and relationship development into Idea two, it would make for a really, really good story.

@Silver man I thought you died too, lol. Welcome back c: your avatar's cute; Ten is adorable

Lol thanks XD
Ty, ty. I love Ten <33

Do you ever "wing it" for stories?
That’s pretty much all I do? I mean, for my main story I did planning, but only for the major events. For the rest of the stuff, I mostly just wing it. It works out okay-ish?? But I usually end up with plot-holes, stuff that doesn’t match up, and things I change my mind on that I’ll have to go back and fix later.
Hi, I'm Silver! Local socially
awkward English nerd, cat
lover, co-owner of floravits,
and Animal Crossing fan.
♡♡♡
art threadtrade thread
Silver Pandorica

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby ~Teya~ » Sat Jan 20, 2018 12:41 pm

Ranger of the North wrote:Do you ever "wing it" for stories?
All the time~! c':
I'm working on getting the hang of developing first, but then they never get written c':

Me too, I want to develop more instead of just running into my story head first. That can be fun at times, but also cause a lot of problems later on XD

Woogwoo Wren wrote:Do you ever "wing it" for stories?
All. The. Freaking. Time. Honestly, half my stories have started with a half thought out idea and grown from that. No, more than half of them.

Saaame, I usually just kinda start off vaguely knowing the ending, and going from there. And sometimes in the middle of the story I'll be like "Oh waIT, this other thing would be a better ending!!" that happened in PSG lol

cosmic-quark wrote:Hey guys! I'm drafting out my next trilogy right now and I've run into a bit of a roadblock- I'm not sure what direction I want to take the second and third books. Any suggestions/advice/opinions/etc would be greatly appreciated <3

Some background first:
background wrote:It's a sci-fi set ambiguously in the not-so-distant future, approximately twenty to fifty years ahead of our time. There's a lot of new and improved technology (although most of it is intended more for scientific than public use) as well as a noticeable cultural emphasis on STEM fields and research. There's also been a shift in higher education. Many universities have become completely specialized, focusing solely on a certain field and offering few classes and almost no majors outside of this field. Fields can revolve around concepts such as "space" (including researchers, engineers, potential astronauts, etc) or "arts" (including visual artists, writers, choreographers, etc) or "marine" (biologists, engineers, oceanographers, etc), and so on. The general concept behind these universities is to educate students alongside the people they are likely to work with in their future careers and to devote all of the university's resources to one specific field. Traditional universities still exist, but the specialized ones are considered more elite and with higher standards for education.

Alexis and Charlie are the main characters in the novel. They both attended the same university- focused on space science- until Charlie dropped out freshman year. The first book begins halfway through Alexis' senior year. Charlie, who's been traveling to observatories and etc around the country, returned to the area in the summer to try to finish her research. Realizing she can't do it alone, she goes to the one person she vaguely remembers from freshman year for help. After much convincing, Alexis agrees to work with Charlie to find proof that alien life exists. The main plot revolves around their attempts to find and track a signal successfully, and the novel ends with an alien ship crash landing before them.

My problem is that I'm not sure where I want to take the plot from there. I have two rough ideas for the following two books, but I don't know which one sounds more appealing or would work better with the plot.

Idea 1: Book 2 mainly focuses on helping the alien inside in the ship recover from the crash and hide/blend in while they try to fix the ship with their limited Earth supplies. There's strong focus on character relationships and meaningless technobabble, with an ongoing subplot featuring Alexis and Charlie's almost-not-quite relationship. A fourth character, an astronautical engineer major, will likely be introduced. At the end, they manage to fix the ship enough to get the alien back to the main shuttle. Charlie, who's always longed for adventure, decides to go with him; Alexis, who's desperate to leave a meaningful legacy, stays to present the evidence of alien life existing.
Book 3 is set two or three years later. Alexis is struggling to deal with the responsibilities of her sudden fame (giving lectures, explaining her research, giving interviews, etc) while also working towards her PhD. The alien suddenly returns, claiming that Charlie is in trouble and needs her help. The primary conflict will revolve around saving/helping Charlie. At the end, she again invites Alexis to come with her to explore the universe. Alexis feels like she's accomplished her goal and is free to pursue other dreams; she accepts and they depart.

Idea 2: In this version, the landing on Earth was intentional (though not the crashing). After his crew was hijacked by a virus/corruption in system, the alien managed to sneak off board in an escape pod and land on the closest planet in hope of finding help. The ship only takes a few days to fix in this version, since the alien has all the tools on hand, and the main conflict focuses on retaking the main ship and getting rid of the virus/corruption/etc. The ending is the same as in Idea 1.
Book 3 begins the same way. Charlie and the alien come back to visit Alexis after three years of traveling; however, the alien behind he virus of the main ship tracks Charlie back to Earth and vows to get revenge. The plot revolves around this conflict. The ending is also the same.

The first idea is more character-focused, the second is more action/plot-focused. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Sorry this is so long haha <3

(Also, does anyone have any better name ideas for Alexis? She's had that name for half a year now but it still doesn't seem to fit right ^^ )

Ohhh, this sounds SUPER cool ! Honestly I think I might like Idea 1 better, but that's just me c: I personally like character dev more than action~
Also-- the name problem. Hmm. If Alexis just doesn't seem to work for you, I'd look up names. What's their ethnicity? That's how I decide on character names all the time c: Or maybe, they were born on a special day? (such as, the name Noelle is used for children born Christmas day, anything like that) and if you can't find anything there, you could look up names in general until you find something?^^
Sherlock, Downton Abbey, Once Upon a Time, Supernatural, Psych, and Doctor Who NERD. My Viscets RP
Image Image Image
I'm also a Viscet nerd c: If you haven't heard of them click here and tell them I referred you please ^-^
Check out my NEW and improved Art Shop! My prices are still negotiable c:
My WIP story, ♛ The Prince, ⚔ the Soldier, & the Gifted ☀ #2 <3
~Teya~

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby sparrow; » Sat Jan 20, 2018 4:41 pm

cosmic-quark wrote:Hey guys! I'm drafting out my next trilogy right now and I've run into a bit of a roadblock- I'm not sure what direction I want to take the second and third books. Any suggestions/advice/opinions/etc would be greatly appreciated <3

-snip-

I like this story a lot! I think that both of the ideas for books 2/3 would be good, and I would personally prefer the second because I like action based stories rather than character based. The first idea still sounds really good, though! However, I think you should just write the one that's more fun for you to write.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
text text text text text
text text text text text
text text text text text

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
link goes here | link goes here
link goes here | link goes here
signature credit
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
text text text text text text text text text

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

sparrow;

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby winged-backpack » Sun Jan 21, 2018 8:23 am

@cosmic-quark
First off, love your username, sorry just had to get that out there. Second off, I love both your ideas, but I think I prefer our character based one. That's just me though, I agree with Sparrow that you should write the one that you'll have more fun writing.

I just (finally) posted Door 15! I've finally gotten my creative flair back! I wrote the new chapter, and made 2 new pieces of art today. Sorry, I'm about to ramble so I need to stop. Thanks for any reads! I made it to 300 recently and I'm really happy about that! Right, rambling again. I'm out now :lol:
xxxxxAND I
THE PUMPKIN
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
call me devon or dev (i'm a mess and so is my gender
they/them pronouns) I love Harry Potter, Star Wars,
and Tim Burton films. Birthday is 27th October ^^

Feel free to PM me about anything!

intj, chaotic neutral, ravenclaw, scorpio

my art shop//also I'm writing a book (16+)

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
winged-backpack

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Ranger of the North » Sun Jan 21, 2018 10:01 am

Oh, yay Dev!! *happy clappy*

@cosmic *seconds Silver*
what kinds of names were you looking for, for 'Alexis'?
The world is quiet here.
Ranger of the North

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby ~Teya~ » Sun Jan 21, 2018 2:05 pm

I need anyone's help that is willing!

Soo, I finished a story yesterday, a tryout form for this 'lil guy, I just love them so much<33 Anyways,, I'd LOVE some constructive crit on the story ! And please, if you happen to find any mistakes or anything, I'd be a great help to tell me! :)
I realize the story is close to seven thousand words so if you don't have to time to read it all, I would still love to hear about your chapter 1 impressions or anything like that! c:

Click here!
Don't hesitate to post there too. :)
Sherlock, Downton Abbey, Once Upon a Time, Supernatural, Psych, and Doctor Who NERD. My Viscets RP
Image Image Image
I'm also a Viscet nerd c: If you haven't heard of them click here and tell them I referred you please ^-^
Check out my NEW and improved Art Shop! My prices are still negotiable c:
My WIP story, ♛ The Prince, ⚔ the Soldier, & the Gifted ☀ #2 <3
~Teya~

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby sxtxrn » Mon Jan 22, 2018 7:11 am

Have you ever written fanfiction? If yes, what was it of? If no, would you consider it?

oh lordy lord yes-
    too many to list tbh

What is your favorite genre to write? Read?

oh god y/a fiction is so fun to read, as for writing i mostly write y/a fiction.

What is your least favorite genre to write? Read?

hmm probably non-fiction. And romance with reading- yuck. I'm fine with cutesy couples as a sub plot but not really the main plot or as the entire story like a maiden being rescued by a prince or somthin (unless its shrek bc yes. t h e s h r e k m e m e s h a v e g o n e t o f a r)

What are your thoughts on werewolves and vampires always being "hot" or "sexy" in YA novels?
    hmm im not a huge fan of it. its very very unrealistic, because not every one in this world is 'hot' or 'sexy'. i find it highly annoying to read about stupid cliches with a young, attractive female falling for the 'hot jock' or the 'hot, sparkly loner vampire'. (thats aimed at you twilight.)
▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂

mikey | gay | he/they | astrophys major
hi, im rarely on here. i love to code

[ toyhouse ] ▼・ᴥ・▼ ⋆。°✩ [ trade me ]

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
sxtxrn

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

❛ the lazy writers ❜ V2

Postby cosmic-quark » Mon Jan 22, 2018 2:50 pm

Thanks for the help everyone! I got so much more feedback than I was expecting, and it's really helped me reflect on where I want to go with the plot and how I can improve my novel <3

@Silver Pandorica Thanks for the advice! After reading through everyone's comments, I think I'm probably going to stick with something similar to this. The first idea would allow for much more character interactions and in-depth development (which is something I sometimes struggle to focus on in my novels), but the overall plot of the third book doesn't really hold up tbh. Their relationship would've been a subplot in both ideas- I'm sure I could intersect more character development with the main plot of the second idea and still have a cohesive novel.

@~Teya~ I've been playing around with this idea for almost a year now, so it's nice to know I'm not the only one who likes it haha ^^ . If I'm being honest, I think the first idea's book 2 has a better premise bc I'm also a sucker for character development (and it'd be good practice). The only problems are that 1) I'm not sure if I can make up enough realistic-sounding technobabble to explain how they manage a to fix an alien ship with only Earth tech and 2) book 3's premise is pretty weak. I did consider cutting it altogether for a bit, but it'd be extremely out of character for Alexis to decide to leave Earth or for Charlie to decide to stay at that point and I'd hate to fall into the "tragic lgbt relationship" trope.

For names, I generally get a vague idea of what the name should sound like when I sketch out the character (like "starts with an a" or "has a lot of vowels" or "is very curt") and then I look up names that might fit the criteria. Sometimes I like a name that doesn't really fit, but after a few weeks of calling a character by that name it sort of settles. That's what I thought would happen with Alexis- but no luck so far. The date of birth thing does sound promising though.

@sparrow; Thanks! I prefer writing action-based novels too (although I really, really love reading stories with good character development). I think the second one would probably be overall more fun to write because of that. I like challenging myself with my writing, but not necessarily at the expense of one of my important projects.

@winged-backpack If you couldn't tell, I'm a sucker for anything space-related haha (and quarks are just really, really cool). The name is actually a play on the weird names that quarks have- if there's a strange quark and a charmed quark, why can't there be a cosmic one? ^^

A lot of people seem to like the character-based one, and I think I'm really going to try to emphasize that aspect in my work. It would definitely make the ending more impactful- as well as the eventual reunion.

@Ranger of the North I initially thought a name starting with "a" or a similar vowel would really work for her. I also wanted something less feminine, though not necessarily completely gender-neutral (since I already had that with Charlie). I tried out Astrid for a while, but the cosmic connotation of the name seemed a bit blatant imo. Alexis seemed like a good compromise. It's been a while since I tried it out for her, though, and it's just not sticking.

Some more questions!
Code: Select all
[b]What is your favorite aspect of worldbuilding?[/b]
[b]What are common sources of inspiration for your plot and/or characters?[/b]
[b]Do you tend to struggle with plot or characterization more? Why?[/b]
[b]How do you pick names for your characters?[/b]
[b]Does art play a role in how you plan, write, or edit your novels?[/b]
[b]What are some tactics you use to develop your characters?[/b]
[b]How do you challenge yourself with your writing?[/b]

ImageImageImageImageImageImage
          ╭━━━━━━━╮
          ╰━━━━━━━╯
          ╭━━━━━━━╮
          cosmic-quark
          she/her aro ace
          future astrophysicist
          Buying characters!
          Design Contest!
          ╰━━━━━━━╯
cosmic-quark

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby TheSongOfTheStars » Mon Jan 22, 2018 2:58 pm

What is your favorite aspect of worldbuilding?
Deciding the shape of the continents and the borders of the countries and also the type of terrain that each country is made up of.
What are common sources of inspiration for your plot and/or characters?
Eh, dunno, dreams, pinterest, movies/shows/books
Do you tend to struggle with plot or characterization more? Why?
Probably plot, I don't like working on the details
How do you pick names for your characters?
Either I make them up or I look up names online
Does art play a role in how you plan, write, or edit your novels?
Well, not too much but sometimes I draw the characters to get a better idea of how they look
What are some tactics you use to develop your characters?
Drawing them or writing shorts
How do you challenge yourself with your writing?
Doing the 100 prompt challenges,

If crediting me for art/character design then please use TheSongOfTheStars on Toyhou.se
or FiveSecondsToFly on deviantart for anywhere else
TheSongOfTheStars

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me