❛ the lazy writers ❜ V2

Are you a writer or a poet? Come and share your creations with us, or discuss writing techniques with others
Forum rules
Please only post your own original work, do not post poetry or stories which were written by someone else.

Re: ❛ the lazy writers ❜ V2

Postby TheSongOfTheStars » Tue Feb 20, 2018 11:52 pm

Do you have any coding advice that you use to make your story look more "pretty" / "nice to look at" kinda thing?:
I usually center my one-shots and sometimes make them a size smaller. Also I add a lot of gaps between dialogue and other writing to help it stand out more.

When in a writing competition, how do you stay optimistic about your competitors which seem much better than you?:
Look at all their brilliant forms, then take what you like the most about each one and use it at inspiration.

When you have to make a story a certain word count, (my limit is 14k words) how do you balance trying to stretch the story out but it's NOT boring filler and is actually interesting and adds to the story?:
I'd say do a bit of planning, decide roughly how long each part of the story should be, that should help you stay within the limits.
Any other advice to help me not get murdered in this competition?:
Nope, but gl!

have you ever been inspired to write a story by a song? inversely, are there any songs that remind you of your current or most recent project?
No and no

what do you enjoy in a writing style most? how would you describe your own writing style?
I highly prefer reading third person, because I feel like description and dialogue can be very evenly balanced, with first person there's a lot of internal dialogue obviously and I simply think that the descriptions suffer bc of it? Also I haven't read a modern 1st person book and really liked it compared to some of the 3rd person books I've read.
I'd describe my own style probably as third person omniscient, since I really like the freedom to jump around from one character to another, or be telling the story totally detached from any character's viewpoint.

If crediting me for art/character design then please use TheSongOfTheStars on Toyhou.se
or FiveSecondsToFly on deviantart for anywhere else
TheSongOfTheStars

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby DeMaizu » Wed Feb 21, 2018 6:28 am

hhhh so many questions

Do you have any coding advice that you use to make your story look more "pretty" / "nice to look at" kinda thing?: Nnno. I don't know any coding, unfortunately, so I'd just go with the advice everyone has given you.
When in a writing competition, how do you stay optimistic about your competitors which seem much better than you?: Again, I don't really have advice; the only writing competitions I've entered is Ranger's, and I'm always going "aaaaAAAAAaaaAaAhhhh" in awe at everyone's stories and they inspire my own. So. Be inspired, not jealous?
When you have to make a story a certain word count, (my limit is 14k words) how do you balance trying to stretch the story out but it's NOT boring filler and is actually interesting and adds to the story?: Descriptions. What people are thinking, what they're feeling (literally, are they brushing up against something, are they leaning against a wall, what), what they're remembering, what they're saying to other people. Also a lot of dithering between saying "screw it, it's gonna be small" and going with the descriptions.
Any other advice to help me not get murdered in this competition?: plow everybody else down?
have you ever been inspired to write a story by a song? inversely, are there any songs that remind you of your current or most recent project? Not really -- mostly what happens with songs is they make me think of a character of mine or someone else's, or someone I know irl. Yeah -- like I said, characters of mine, and sometimes it'll be bits of a story.
what do you enjoy in a writing style most? how would you describe your own writing style? Uhm . . . I'm not sure? I never really thought about it. I'd say my own is kind of pithy (my mom has used that word to describe me/my writing)? A lot of it is my own spoken language bleeding through, so I guess that. *shrugs*
DeMaizu

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby ~Teya~ » Wed Feb 21, 2018 11:06 am

@Ufo's response

I have used list once before, and I think it does look quite nice <3
    I think I'll use it! Haha XD

Thanks for the tip! I'll have to keep the description stuff in mind.

And about the word limit-- yes, it is 14,000 words. And believe me when I say this, 14k is not very much sometimes. I was RELIEVED to see it even HAD a word limit. Legendary's usually don't have word limits, and people go completely all the heck out and write down 40-30k. (ok, maybe not 40k, but it wouldn't even be a surprise if it happened) To be honest a short story like 1 or 2k just isn't good enough x'D

@anxious ghost's response

I write with size 90, actually =D Thanks for the advice! Yeah, I really don't want to crowd the writing with tons of gif's and stuff xD I never really thought about flashbacks OwO But in the context of my story, flashbacks could definitely be a thing. 14,000 is the limit, yes, I've only done one story that goes much farther than 14k though, but I'm sure I'll manage <3

@Ranger of the North's response

Not ACTUAL murder!!! XD It's not the judge that is hard, it's the competition. Some people get 1000000 art pieces and have to most amazing writing that you just feel like their form is murdering your form xD

I think for prettying up I'll go with my usual size 90 and add list OwO That'll look decent ?

It's so hard to ignoree xD But I will. I literally posted first, a MILLASECOND after the person I'm very afraid of. (writing wise, and heck, ART wise) So if I just never scroll down I won't see anyone's form including theirs XD

O_O Wow, I've never done something like that before. I was thinking of doing an outline and just going to the main story afterwards xD But maybe that makes more sense. o.o

BAHAHAHAHA, i always do that

@sparrow;'s response

I was thinking of doing the transparent thing, I've never tried it in a story before ;u;
I always fear I'm unoriginal.. hopefully to others it won't seem that way.
I believe I can fly~~

@TheSongOfTheStars response

I'll try to be inspired by them xD And not shrivel up and cry lmao
I'm planning out his past right now C: Then his friends past, then probably the real story? ;w;
Thanks<3

@DeMaizu's response

I always try to keep an open mind about others stories.. and they tots have inspired me before to dig deeper into my writing so I can get better. But at the same time I'm just like "Ohhhhh crap!!" XD
Thanks for the advice ! C:
Sherlock, Downton Abbey, Once Upon a Time, Supernatural, Psych, and Doctor Who NERD. My Viscets RP
Image Image Image
I'm also a Viscet nerd c: If you haven't heard of them click here and tell them I referred you please ^-^
Check out my NEW and improved Art Shop! My prices are still negotiable c:
My WIP story, ♛ The Prince, ⚔ the Soldier, & the Gifted ☀ #2 <3
~Teya~

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Aliria » Wed Feb 21, 2018 12:33 pm

@~Teya~ Sadly I don't have any good advice for you - I've never done a lot of competitions. Good luck!!

Have you ever been inspired to write a story by a song? Inversely, are there any songs that remind you of your current or most recent project?
I've never been inspired by a song (that I remember, at least). There are a lot of songs that remind me of various characters of mine though! Because every single punk rock revolution song is secretly about Aria

What do you enjoy in a writing style most? How would you describe your own writing style?
I like writing styles that feel like a real person talking. Character voice is huge. An overly artsy style can be exhausting to read, but a plain style can make the story forgettable. I try to make sure my style varies with the character narrating - Di overthinks everything (and swears a lot), Devin is endlessly sarcastic, Aria is very blunt, and so on. I wouldn't say I always do a very good job of it though, especially in scenes where a lot of important stuff is happening.
I'll send out my soul
To worlds more beautiful

Aliria

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Ranger of the North » Wed Feb 21, 2018 6:08 pm

Stitch Kitty wrote:Hi, and sorry if I'm interrupting anyone. Could you please read and provide feedback on my new story? Again, sorry if I'm interrupting anyone!
http://www.worthyofpublishing.com/book. ... k_ID=35150
Nope! This is a very open topic, and everyone just goes for it XD
Will read it shortly c:

~Teya~ wrote:@Ranger of the North's response

Not ACTUAL murder!!! XD It's not the judge that is hard, it's the competition. Some people get 1000000 art pieces and have to most amazing writing that you just feel like their form is murdering your form xD
Well that's good, right? You're not gonna be assassinated in your sleep? XD Al~ways~ look on the briight~ si~ide of life~!
DuDe. I wish you all the luck in the world!!

~Teya~ wrote:I think for prettying up I'll go with my usual size 90 and add list OwO That'll look decent ?
It will! I think it'll look nice c:

~Teya~ wrote:It's so hard to ignoree xD But I will. I literally posted first, a MILLASECOND after the person I'm very afraid of. (writing wise, and heck, ART wise) So if I just never scroll down I won't see anyone's form including theirs XD
Ohh, gosh. Like if you're on the roof of a very tall building: whatever you do, don't. look. down.
XD

~Teya~ wrote:O_O Wow, I've never done something like that before. I was thinking of doing an outline and just going to the main story afterwards xD But maybe that makes more sense. o.o
Hahahaha, Idk; I'm not much of an outline-y person, and especially not with short-stories XD But while it's a lot of work, I've had good results from the seemingly never-ending process of editing-and-adding-and-editing-and-removing-and-editing-and-editing-again c: XD Ooh, who knows, if you have enough time you could try both; see which works best! cx

~Teya~ wrote:BAHAHAHAHA, i always do that
Great minds think alike >;D
The world is quiet here.
Ranger of the North

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby winged-backpack » Thu Feb 22, 2018 3:49 am

I've missed so much! Aaaaa!

Do you have any coding advice that you use to make your story look more "pretty" / "nice to look at" kinda thing?:
I don't write stories with code, so I can't really help you out here ^^'
That being said, I personally will connect with a story more if it's broken up and has actual spaces between the paragraphs (i.e. two returns so there's an empty line between them).

When in a writing competition, how do you stay optimistic about your competitors which seem much better than you?:
All I can suggest here is to try and be confident in yourself. Lack of confidence can really show up in your writing, so try not to read your competitors' pieces until you've finished writing yours and you're really happy with it. Then, when you read the other stories, you can have that happiness with your own piece in the back of your mind as you do.

When you have to make a story a certain word count, (my limit is 14k words) how do you balance trying to stretch the story out but it's NOT boring filler and is actually interesting and adds to the story?:
Have fun with your descriptions. Use a lot of metaphors and similes to bulk it out, and remember - less can be more. Don't feel that you have to write all 14k words. Write what you can, and you're happy with, and if it's below the word limit then don't worry about writing more (unless it's like 100 words ya know)

Any other advice to help me not get murdered in this competition?:
Not really, I write for myself and don't tend to enter competitions.

Have you ever been inspired to write a story by a song? Inversely, are there any songs that remind you of your current or most recent project?
Yes! Well, sort of - I got inspired to write an extended poem inspired by American Pie by Don McLean. It's a little hard to explain, but it would be about a dystopian society where music is banned, and a big group of people gather in the capital to sing together and get shot down in retaliation by the government. It's a little bit derivative and lovey-dovey (especially as a poem) but I haven't written it yet - or even planned it.

What do you enjoy in a writing style most? How would you describe your own writing style?
I love it when people play with their structure and grammar. Even though I'm a bit picky when it comes to grammar, I love it when writers are creative with it, like Margret Atwood. In The Handmaid's Tale, she only uses speech marks for dialogue in the flashbacks which is really interesting to me. And Stephen King's story structures are really interesting too, his chapters are sometimes 2/3 sentences long, and he puts his stories into parts, which is another thing I love about some styles of writing.

Right, I think that's everything I missed. Dev out~
xxxxxAND I
THE PUMPKIN
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
call me devon or dev (i'm a mess and so is my gender
they/them pronouns) I love Harry Potter, Star Wars,
and Tim Burton films. Birthday is 27th October ^^

Feel free to PM me about anything!

intj, chaotic neutral, ravenclaw, scorpio

my art shop//also I'm writing a book (16+)

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
winged-backpack

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby passione » Thu Feb 22, 2018 8:32 am

I haven't been on in quite a bit lol
Mainly had to catch up with a few essays.
Today in writing class, we were given a few materials and we had to do a freewrite based on the materials.
What I received: rose perfume, a photo, a cracker, a device (so we could listen to a song of our choice)

What came out of it:

Smell
The distinct blue and silver I’ve seen in a past life. I’m sure of it. Sapphire sprouts and cerulean skies. The strength of its aroma stands out to me as that was all my nose touched when i was ten years old. Little Amelia Masdurett with her cobalt dress, hand in hand with her younger sister who she couldn’t dare to love more in fear of overloading the world with this sibling kind of fondness.

Taste
Twenty dollars for a mushroom soup was worth it. Cheesy, chunky, infused with truffle oil. This soup was the best I’ve ever tasted. It was essentially God’s vomit served on a pristine porcelain platter. With each spoonful, I could feel an oncoming addiction. I felt full but I couldn’t help but continue to stuff my maw. “You’re eating so violently,” my brother noted, taking the bowl brom my grasp before placing a chunk of iceberg lettuce in my empty, waiting hands.

See
I turned to her, absorbing the details with my eyes. Her fingers brushed against the feathers of the dreamcatcher I had suggested for her to hang up above her head. She had no siblings, but the black-framed bunk bed still remained in the corner of her room, you see. Dirty blonde spilling over featherdown and memories— her seaglass eyes cast on her shattered phone screen now. She was so happy. She was so happy with her worn down futon and dusty floorboards, the cold seeping in from a cracked window. She snapped the picture when I wasn’t looking. It wasn’t a pleasant photo of me with my crooked smile and split lips, but the wrinkles under her eyes and the white of her teeth covered up my imperfections. She was my makeup— The sun that rose each morning. My soul.

Sound song: first love - min yoongi (BTS)
He flashes in my memory— An image that appears and disappears with the beat of the drum. His glasses which were too tight for his face, his hazel eyes and hair like the Sahara desert at night. I remember him as my first. My only. The only one I could see with a body. For him, I slaved over the piano because with his emotions, his body language, I saw cosmos. And when he left, he stole my motivation to write, to move, to even live. I continued to live because I couldn’t die. For years after he took that plane into the unknown, I was drunk on isolation. Every time I took the pencil in my hand I would feel sick. I couldn’t place my mind on anything that wasn’t him. Every word I spilled with blood, sweat and tears was for him. The ink was as crimson as my heart— Every beat, every emotion, every second I continued to live and suffer— It was for him.
▉▉
▉▉
▉▉
▉▉
▉▉
▉▉
▉▉
▉▉
▉▉
▉▉
I WISH I COULD
I WISH I COULD
I WISH I COULD
I WISH I COULD

┌────────────────┐

yo. i'm xia. gone from cs but never
forgotten. find me on fr!

i like jjba, lunch club and bts.
suffering from jschlatt brainrot.

they/them pronouns please

└────────────────┘
LOVE MYSELF
LOVE MYSELF
LOVE MYSELF
LOVE MYSELF
▉▉
▉▉
▉▉
▉▉
▉▉
▉▉
▉▉
▉▉
▉▉
▉▉
passione

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby FuryBotWimzie » Thu Feb 22, 2018 10:18 am

Ranger of the North wrote:Kia Oraaaaa :D Watch out for carrots! c:

Hi! Thank ya! C: Sorry for taking a while to write back.

Like most people, I'd imagine, I enjoy reading writing that flows. I love heavy-handed, detailed writing, where I can feel and in some cases even smell what the author was trying to describe-- mostly in terms of scenery. I like big words, even if it takes me out of the story a moment to look up the definition (I know that's a turn off for some). I have a fond memory of a story I read several years ago wherein I was doing just that, not necessarily because the author was using too many big words, but because I was much younger at the time and didn't have as vast of a vocabulary. I just like that some people have the ability to do that; I wanted to be a better writer after reading that story.
Detailed, serious stuff that also goes hand-in-hand with simpler, humorous stuff is my absolute favorite if you can get it all into one story. My own writing style is what I would describe as... not always as flowy as I'd like. I probably get philosophical at weird times. I go for long sentences and try to describe the setting a lot, if only because I'm trying to get better with it. I enjoy describing sensations and emotions to great length and try to get really deep into them, and so far, I'm further along in that than I am my scenery descriptions. :lol:

If you guys don't mind, I have a question!

Code: Select all
[b]Do you have any habits in your writing that you picked up from other authors after reading their works?[/b]

For me, it would be using parentheses for extra information mid-story, and using the occasional bit of caps lock if a character is yelling. I do try to do the latter in moderation.
Last edited by FuryBotWimzie on Thu Feb 22, 2018 4:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    Hi! I'm Wimzie, and I'm a female adult player
    from the Midwest! I love cartoons/animated films,
    pro wrestling, and video games, to cover it all broadly.

FuryBotWimzie

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby ~Teya~ » Thu Feb 22, 2018 10:39 am

morioh wrote:I haven't been on in quite a bit lol
Mainly had to catch up with a few essays.
Today in writing class, we were given a few materials and we had to do a freewrite based on the materials.
What I received: rose perfume, a photo, a cracker, a device (so we could listen to a song of our choice)

What came out of it:

Smell
The distinct blue and silver I’ve seen in a past life. I’m sure of it. Sapphire sprouts and cerulean skies. The strength of its aroma stands out to me as that was all my nose touched when i was ten years old. Little Amelia Masdurett with her cobalt dress, hand in hand with her younger sister who she couldn’t dare to love more in fear of overloading the world with this sibling kind of fondness.

Taste
Twenty dollars for a mushroom soup was worth it. Cheesy, chunky, infused with truffle oil. This soup was the best I’ve ever tasted. It was essentially God’s vomit served on a pristine porcelain platter. With each spoonful, I could feel an oncoming addiction. I felt full but I couldn’t help but continue to stuff my maw. “You’re eating so violently,” my brother noted, taking the bowl brom my grasp before placing a chunk of iceberg lettuce in my empty, waiting hands.

See
I turned to her, absorbing the details with my eyes. Her fingers brushed against the feathers of the dreamcatcher I had suggested for her to hang up above her head. She had no siblings, but the black-framed bunk bed still remained in the corner of her room, you see. Dirty blonde spilling over featherdown and memories— her seaglass eyes cast on her shattered phone screen now. She was so happy. She was so happy with her worn down futon and dusty floorboards, the cold seeping in from a cracked window. She snapped the picture when I wasn’t looking. It wasn’t a pleasant photo of me with my crooked smile and split lips, but the wrinkles under her eyes and the white of her teeth covered up my imperfections. She was my makeup— The sun that rose each morning. My soul.

Sound song: first love - min yoongi (BTS)
He flashes in my memory— An image that appears and disappears with the beat of the drum. His glasses which were too tight for his face, his hazel eyes and hair like the Sahara desert at night. I remember him as my first. My only. The only one I could see with a body. For him, I slaved over the piano because with his emotions, his body language, I saw cosmos. And when he left, he stole my motivation to write, to move, to even live. I continued to live because I couldn’t die. For years after he took that plane into the unknown, I was drunk on isolation. Every time I took the pencil in my hand I would feel sick. I couldn’t place my mind on anything that wasn’t him. Every word I spilled with blood, sweat and tears was for him. The ink was as crimson as my heart— Every beat, every emotion, every second I continued to live and suffer— It was for him.

I really like all of these ! ;o; There is so much emotion fueling your words and wonderful descriptions as well :)
Sherlock, Downton Abbey, Once Upon a Time, Supernatural, Psych, and Doctor Who NERD. My Viscets RP
Image Image Image
I'm also a Viscet nerd c: If you haven't heard of them click here and tell them I referred you please ^-^
Check out my NEW and improved Art Shop! My prices are still negotiable c:
My WIP story, ♛ The Prince, ⚔ the Soldier, & the Gifted ☀ #2 <3
~Teya~

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Ranger of the North » Thu Feb 22, 2018 6:50 pm

I enjoyed your poems, @morioh! c: Are they true, or did you create a character(s)? o,o c:

Do you have any habits in your writing that you picked up from other authors after reading their works?
I... feel like there are some? But... I can't remember what any of them are at the moment XD
Tell ya what, I'll (try to remember to) keep an eye out tonight while I'm writing; see if I can pinpoint anything :D
The world is quiet here.
Ranger of the North

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me