❛ the lazy writers ❜ V2

Are you a writer or a poet? Come and share your creations with us, or discuss writing techniques with others
Forum rules
Please only post your own original work, do not post poetry or stories which were written by someone else.

Re: ❛ the lazy writers ❜ V2

Postby Klain » Sun Feb 18, 2018 9:20 pm

Do you read any online or hard copy comics? Have you ever written a comic and posted it online?
    Actually I'm not into the comic thing (I want to but in my country they are pretty expensive) but now and then I read some comics from my brother if he bought some. I thought to read some online but I mostly forget about it.

What online stories have you seen that inspire your own stories, and how much/little?
    I rarely find some wich are good (in my eyes), but last year I read a lasbian story on wattpad wich was pretty good. After finishing it I also tried to built some homosexuell parts into my story. Some parts are good but others are just so ... you can just read that I tried it to be good but it wasn't enough...? It was to constrained.
    But after some tries I gave up for the first and focused on being me in my writing style.
Klain

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby TheSongOfTheStars » Mon Feb 19, 2018 12:27 am

What online stories have you seen that inspire your own stories, and how much/little?
I don't read a lot online, usually because the stories are never finished and I have a hard time finding anything I really like. So I really haven't drawn any inspiration from anything online at all.

@Wren, I'm honored to have inspired you, just a tiny bit, I didn't realize you'd ever even read any of my stuff.

If crediting me for art/character design then please use TheSongOfTheStars on Toyhou.se
or FiveSecondsToFly on deviantart for anywhere else
TheSongOfTheStars

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby DeMaizu » Mon Feb 19, 2018 12:18 pm

@Ranger
. . . . . not really . . . like, I have a vague plot thing rattling around, but other than that *shrugs* no idea. I'll let you know when I do, though!
DeMaizu

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby winged-backpack » Mon Feb 19, 2018 12:22 pm

Do you read any online or hard copy comics? Have you ever written a comic and posted it online?
Online, no. But I love real-life comics and graphic novels! I've read so many, but my favourites have to be Saga and the Kick-Ass comics. I'd love to write my own one day, but I haven't done it so far.

I don't tend to read stories online. I just love having a book in my hands, and something about actually holding the book and feeling it there is really comforting to me.
xxxxxAND I
THE PUMPKIN
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
call me devon or dev (i'm a mess and so is my gender
they/them pronouns) I love Harry Potter, Star Wars,
and Tim Burton films. Birthday is 27th October ^^

Feel free to PM me about anything!

intj, chaotic neutral, ravenclaw, scorpio

my art shop//also I'm writing a book (16+)

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
winged-backpack

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Ranger of the North » Mon Feb 19, 2018 7:27 pm

DeMaizu wrote:@Ranger
. . . . . not really . . . like, I have a vague plot thing rattling around, but other than that *shrugs* no idea. I'll let you know when I do, though!
Sounds like a plan c;
The world is quiet here.
Ranger of the North

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby ~Teya~ » Tue Feb 20, 2018 4:13 pm

Have you started any of your stories because of a scene that popped into your head, a character that popped into your head, or because something happened to you and you thought it would be fun to write down as a bigger adventure? Yup, once a character just spontaneously appeared in my mind when I was in bed xD

Do you read any online or hard copy comics? Have you ever written a comic and posted it online? I've read a few comics here on CS c: Such as COLORS, and Rangers and Royalty. Which are both super old and have both been discontinued, sadly :c Among otthers that I can't name.

What online stories have you seen that inspire your own stories, and how much/little? I've never read a long online story, or very few. :c

Pfft, ok, so I have to put the story I've been planning on for a long time and do a completely new story now, and finish it within a month, and then add art, and then code it so it looks nice. OwO

I'm trying out for THIS guy. They're a Legendary viscet, which basically means you are bound to be murdered if you try to win them. BUT I have faith, that I could possibly win if I try hard enough or maybe I'll just get murdered
Sooooooo, yeah. I'm very nervous, and am working on the outline for the story right now.

The main plot of the story is that Hok'ee, the protagonist, used to be apart of a tribe but was exiled for doing something bad that wasn't even entirely his fault. After this, Hok'ee makes it his job to protect the mountains in which he resides. Things get complicated however, when Harmosa, another winged viscet just like him comes into the picture. Stuff happens that I will not spoil~~ Partly because I haven't come up with it yet as well XD

Anyways, I need A LOAAADD OF tips! Because I REALLY want to win this bab<3 I may also be sharing the story in the future for advice, if anyone is interested, PM me?? (*eyes Ranger XD*)

Code: Select all
[b]Do you have any coding advice that you use to make your story look more "pretty" / "nice to look at" kinda thing?:[/b]

[b]When in a writing competition, how do you stay optimistic about your competitors which seem much better than you?:[/b]

[b]When you have to make a story a certain word count, (my limit is 14k words) how do you balance trying to stretch the story out but it's NOT boring filler and is actually interesting and adds to the story?:[/b]

[b]Any other advice to help me not get murdered in this competition?:[/b]
Sherlock, Downton Abbey, Once Upon a Time, Supernatural, Psych, and Doctor Who NERD. My Viscets RP
Image Image Image
I'm also a Viscet nerd c: If you haven't heard of them click here and tell them I referred you please ^-^
Check out my NEW and improved Art Shop! My prices are still negotiable c:
My WIP story, ♛ The Prince, ⚔ the Soldier, & the Gifted ☀ #2 <3
~Teya~

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby ufos » Tue Feb 20, 2018 4:41 pm

i’ve got advice about only two of these things, because i’ve never entered any character completions like that. good luck!
Do you have any coding advice that you use to make your story look more "pretty" / "nice to look at" kinda thing?:
i think the main things about coding writing are making it easier to read and making sure the rest of the coding isn’t too distracting. so i’d really just avoid light or bright colors especially for text (really i’d just keep it black) and gifs that might be distracting (gifs can still be ok though as long as they’re not super colorful or flashy). also, imo list
    can make
    text look
    much neater

When you have to make a story a certain word count, (my limit is 14k words) how do you balance trying to stretch the story out but it's NOT boring filler and is actually interesting and adds to the story?:
description can be really helpful in lengthening a story and can add to the overall reading experience. describe your characters’ surroundings, describe them, describe their actions, describe objects, describe things! of course, you don’t need to describe every little thing but doing something as simple as describing the room your character is in can really help. if you find yourself adding unnecessary padding (e.g. trivial or boring dialogue, etc.) that doesn’t actually enhance the reader’s experience or advance the story i’d cut that. if it’s still too short after adding descriptions, you might want to consider that you just wrote a short story, which is absolutely ok! also, is your limit 14,000 or 1,400 because i really really doubt the judge wants to read a 14,000 word long story so a shorter story might be a relief. there’s really no point in a story being long just for the sake of being long.

oh! also, i’ve got some questions just for fun! they’re sort of two-parters.

[b]have you ever been inspired to write a story by a song? inversely, are there any songs that remind you of your current or most recent project?[/b]

[b]what do you enjoy in a writing style most? how would you describe your own writing style?[/b]
    translate your love into action
    mac or joel he/him adult

great cs artist @pyjamac
ufos

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby anxious ghost » Tue Feb 20, 2018 5:49 pm

Welcome new peeps!

@Teya like ufos said, list makes things look nice. I'd also suggest putting text to like 95 because it's easier to read than 85 while still straightening things up. I don't know how viscets work, so I don't know what kind of limits there are on coding, but you can always do things like this:

text text text text text text text text text text

And remember that, most of the time, less is more. Super extravagant glitter graphics just distract from your writing, and you really don't need to do that - your writing is awesome. Simple coding with fab writing can win on their own. also I'm sorry cuz I'm literally coding trash and will jump at any opportunity to code anything
For the writing limit thing - I'm assuming that's the minimum? - my suggestion would be #backstory, but if you already have a good bit of that, then descriptions. Doing a small paragraph to describe surroundings is great, but don't forget to explain the character's feelings/thoughts on the situation, how they feel about the people they're with, or (one of my favorites) flashbacks. The current situation could remind them of something - even something stupid - and they just think about that for a minute, or literal flashbacks. Either of those can get you a good bit of text.
Ok so I just looked at the link and the minimum is 1k words and the max is 14k so I don't really think you need filler?

Ok I planned to answer questions and stuff but it is literally freezing and my hands are super stiff so typing sucks so like
I'll be back when I thaw
╔════════════════════╗
ghost // they/it
nonbinary // queer
ghostkin // otherkin

just a gay lil ghost
not very active anymore

sig by me
╚════════════════════╝
anxious ghost

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Ranger of the North » Tue Feb 20, 2018 6:47 pm

~Teya~ wrote:Pfft, ok, so I have to put the story I've been planning on for a long time and do a completely new story now, and finish it within a month, and then add art, and then code it so it looks nice. OwO

I'm trying out for THIS guy. They're a Legendary viscet, which basically means you are bound to be murdered if you try to win them. BUT I have faith, that I could possibly win if I try hard enough or maybe I'll just get murdered
Sooooooo, yeah. I'm very nervous, and am working on the outline for the story right now.

The main plot of the story is that Hok'ee, the protagonist, used to be apart of a tribe but was exiled for doing something bad that wasn't even entirely his fault. After this, Hok'ee makes it his job to protect the mountains in which he resides. Things get complicated however, when Harmosa, another winged viscet just like him comes into the picture. Stuff happens that I will not spoil~~ Partly because I haven't come up with it yet as well XD
Murdered as in, 'the judge is really ruthless and will tear everything apart as best they know how', or, 'so many people want this that if I win I will receive death-threats'? XD Either way, good luck!! c:

~Teya~ wrote:Anyways, I need A LOAAADD OF tips! Because I REALLY want to win this bab<3 I may also be sharing the story in the future for advice, if anyone is interested, PM me?? (*eyes Ranger XD*)
You know me too well c':

Do you have any coding advice that you use to make your story look more "pretty" / "nice to look at" kinda thing?:
Personally, I like to code my stuff so it's as close to looking like a book as I can make it. I can elaborate if you're interested, but I've had a few people saying they didn't like it, so I don't know if you want to go with that c':

When in a writing competition, how do you stay optimistic about your competitors which seem much better than you?:
Ignore them. Don't look at their entries until you've done your own — and maybe not even then. If you want to feel better about your writing, then put heart and soul into it and read theirs (after yours is written) with the judgiest attitude you have XD And know that they're probably having the exact same fear about yours c:

When you have to make a story a certain word count, (my limit is 14k words) how do you balance trying to stretch the story out but it's NOT boring filler and is actually interesting and adds to the story?:
Write it, ignoring the word-count, first; edit it second; make a new document and copy-paste another version third; focus on one copy only, fourth; trim it fifth; add what needs to be added sixth; edit it seventh; trim it eighth; and edit it again ninth. Repeat steps two and five (with an occasional sixth) while also performing the fourth. Be ruthless. Since you have an original copy, hack and cut and change the very soul of the story if you need to, to get the word-count down; you've still got it preserved. Serve, with a side-dish of pride in your hard work because you know you've done a good job no matter what others might say, when ready.

Any other advice to help me not get murdered in this competition?:
Hug everyone, smile lots, catch them off guard, and stab them in the back. Dead men don't bite.

Have you ever been inspired to write a story by a song? Inversely, are there any songs that remind you of your current or most recent project?
I have! But I don't think I've ever acted on it tbh XD Alternatively, listening to music while I write is an enormous help.
There are a few songs which, from memory, fit. But Idk what they are, they're in a doc somewhere XD

What do you enjoy in a writing style most? How would you describe your own writing style?
Portrayal of emotions. LOVE it.
Um. Descriptive? That's a hard one :p

anxious ghost wrote:Ok I planned to answer questions and stuff but it is literally freezing and my hands are super stiff so typing sucks so like
I'll be back when I thaw
*subtropical brain does not compute*
The world is quiet here.
Ranger of the North

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby sparrow; » Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:16 pm

I'm a decently okay coder, you can PM me if you need me to make something look pretty for you c: I really enjoy coding, and I probably should do it more, so I don't mind at all. Also, I always do indents in my writing. I find it's easier to read that way, but not everyone agrees. This is what I use for indents:
[color=transparent]xx[/color]text goes here

When in a writing competition, how do you stay optimistic about your competitors which seem much better than you?:
I don't enter writing competitions much, out of fear. I'd recommend trying to be original - a lot of people value originality over technical writing skills.

It's really hard to decide that. I'm not sure if I can help there, it's not something I'm good at myself.

Any other advice to help me not get murdered in this competition?:
BELIEVEEEEEE

have you ever been inspired to write a story by a song? inversely, are there any songs that remind you of your current or most recent project?
I'm inspired by a weirdly wide variety of things, and that includes songs. I've written a couple of stories based off of Dodie Clark's music, I find that her's is just really nice to listen to.

what do you enjoy in a writing style most? how would you describe your own writing style?
Originality. It makes the style so much better when the author has a specific... thing, that they do. For example, the author of "The Book Thief" (Markus Zusak) always describes the way people speak using interesting metaphors, which I love. As for my own writing style... I don't know. I'm not a good writer, and I often will change my style based on things I've been reading recently.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
text text text text text
text text text text text
text text text text text

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
link goes here | link goes here
link goes here | link goes here
signature credit
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
text text text text text text text text text