❛ the lazy writers ❜ V2

Are you a writer or a poet? Come and share your creations with us, or discuss writing techniques with others
Forum rules
Please only post your own original work, do not post poetry or stories which were written by someone else.

Re: ❛ the lazy writers ❜ V2

Postby scoopyfrog » Wed Feb 28, 2018 11:04 am

Do you like it's a good or bad idea to start the story off from the not-quite-main-character's prospective to create a bit of mystery?:
I think it's fine to have a story that switches perspectives. However, you have to make sure it's done with purpose. Readers are going to be wondering why the perspectives were changed, and if the character whose perspective was first shown isn't a main focus of the plot or conflict, or if their actions in the opening don't tie in to anything important, it won't make sense and they may be confused. Mystery is always great, just make sure it's played off well.
I love collecting critters <3

- Magistream -
ImageImageImageImageImage

- Dragcave -
ImageImageImageImageImage
scoopyfrog

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Ranger of the North » Wed Feb 28, 2018 8:19 pm

Did you like my story opening? Does it make you want to read more?
YES. 'Twas a great opening! Good job C:

Anything I could improve on (does anything seem off, boring, grammar mistakes, etc)?
It seemed well-paced to me; not off, not boring; but there were a few grammatical errors c: Mainly paragraphs, though, which are easy to fix! The rules for creating a new one is when you move to a new speaker, a new topic, a new place, or a new time! I also noticed a couple spots where you used a comma instead of a semicolon, or vice versa, but it was only once or twice c: (And I didn't stop to check whether it was wrong, or just my personal preference; I wanted to keep reading XD But I'm happy to go back and check, if you'd like c: )

Guys. Read Teya's piece. cx
The world is quiet here.
Ranger of the North

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Yubel Fated » Wed Feb 28, 2018 9:19 pm

Did you like my story opening? Does it make you want to read more?:

Actually yes it does. To be honest, it's an interesting way to set up what I assume you have planned. A good way of introducing the main character, the conflict, starting questions, tying off what we need to know. Its all beautiful. Tied up in a neat little package.

Anything I could improve on (does anything seem off, boring, grammar mistakes, etc)?:

Like Ranger's already said. Paragraphs maybe a bit of punctuation.

The only thing that was really glaring at me at any point was the use of breathe instead of breath. Which is really easy to misspell and look over. But otherwise everything else looks mighty fine.

Do you think it's a good or bad idea to start the story off from the not-quite-main-character's prospective to create a bit of mystery?:

Honestly, it can go either way. It's not necessarily a good or a bad thing in itself... Its uh.. More of a grey area than anything. If you can make it work do it. If it makes sense do it.

The only really good advice I can give you is write what you want to read. Do what you think is fun. Experiment.

If done good starting stories like this make everything more questionable. In a good way not in a bad one. It starts the questions in their head that are bound to circulate into theories you hadnt even thought of.

If done bad then it can leave the readers confused and lost within the story before you've even started.

I honestly believe you've done the former rather than the latter. So great job and keep writing :3

I'm not your protagonist I'm not even my own
I don't know anything I don't even know what I don't know

And if you look outside you'll see disintegrating trees

╔══════════════╗
Name: Shadow
Profile: Judai/Jaden Yuki
Previous: Sora (Kingdom Hearts)
Call me anything though! So be creative!
~Credit~
╚══════════════╝

And if you look outside you'll see disintegrating trees

The artificial way the sunlight bounces off of
g̸̢̮̥̏͝l̷͔̘͍̑̍͝ì̶̛̠̖̒t̸̢̰̩̀̔̾̕c̴̨̘͌̄̈́̿h̶̡͙͔̫̆͜͝í̴̝̎͛̀n̵̡̘̰̈́̔ḡ̷̢̨̫̬̓̀ leaves

────────────────

Yubel Fated

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby ~Teya~ » Thu Mar 01, 2018 7:58 pm

@KawaiiPanda58

Hehe, I'm happy you liked Harmosa <3 I've always adored her markings as well ;0; --And yes, they're Kajika, aka Hok'ee, his real name C:

I've done stories that switch views every chapter as well, actually ! cx
And huh, that's an interesting story, never read it though. ;u;

@antiqeel

I think the way I did it will definitely have a purpose, thanks for the advice!

@Ranger of the North

eee thank you<33

I went over it again and (I think) fixed most of the misspelling errors =D
Oh hecc, paragraphs just aren't my friend. xD I've been TRYING to keep the "new speaker, new topic, new time, or new place" in mind ever since you told me it in.. what? September, when I finished PSG? Gosh, and I still have a hard time with it. xD
And yeah! If you think I did a wrong comma or semi somewhere, I'd love to know C: Maybe you could show me where I paragraph'd wrong, too XD

@Flame Alchemist

Ahh thank you. XD I'm not used to such praise, tbh ;u; I just hope the judge feels the same way you do! c:

I SUCK at paragraphs, I kinda just do them when I feel like it.. it's a super bad habit, I'm trying to improve, though!
OH MY GOSH, THANK YOU FOR POINTING THAT OUT. That mistake was literally in the first sentence !! I don't know how I missed it???? It'd suck for someone's first impressions of the story to be an annoying grammar mistake!

Thanks for the advice :) And I certainly will! >:D

Hehe.. hey guys :3 Thanks, all those who responded ! I love feedback, seriously, it's how I improve! :)
I finished chapter one.. I don't want to keep crowding my posts with long stuffz, that may get annoying to some of you, so, if you want to read it and give me s'more feedback, click here for chapter one!

k.. gonna go now.. it's midnight, I need sleep. XD
Sherlock, Downton Abbey, Once Upon a Time, Supernatural, Psych, and Doctor Who NERD. My Viscets RP
Image Image Image
I'm also a Viscet nerd c: If you haven't heard of them click here and tell them I referred you please ^-^
Check out my NEW and improved Art Shop! My prices are still negotiable c:
My WIP story, ♛ The Prince, ⚔ the Soldier, & the Gifted ☀ #2 <3
~Teya~

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Ranger of the North » Fri Mar 02, 2018 9:13 am

~Teya~ wrote:@Ranger of the North

eee thank you<33

Oh hecc, paragraphs just aren't my friend. xD I've been TRYING to keep the "new speaker, new topic, new time, or new place" in mind ever since you told me it in.. what? September, when I finished PSG? Gosh, and I still have a hard time with it. xD
And yeah! If you think I did a wrong comma or semi somewhere, I'd love to know C: Maybe you could show me where I paragraph'd wrong, too XD
Oh, so I had already given you that big spiel XD My bad, it's hard to remember XD But never fear, I have noticed improvements! It took me /ages/ to get the hang of them when I was first taught 'em c;
Oki doki, I'll try to remember to do that tomorrow! C:

YEET! Camp Nano's coming up, who's excited?! :D Would anyone be interested in joining a cabin for Chicken-Smoothie-writers-in-general? C:
The world is quiet here.
Ranger of the North

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby ~Teya~ » Fri Mar 02, 2018 10:19 am

Ranger of the North wrote:
~Teya~ wrote:@Ranger of the North

eee thank you<33

Oh, so I had already given you that big spiel XD My bad, it's hard to remember XD But never fear, I have noticed improvements! It took me /ages/ to get the hang of them when I was first taught 'em c;
Oki doki, I'll try to remember to do that tomorrow! C:

YEET! Camp Nano's coming up, who's excited?! :D Would anyone be interested in joining a cabin for Chicken-Smoothie-writers-in-general? C:

I've never participated in Nano before, what's it like? :0
Sherlock, Downton Abbey, Once Upon a Time, Supernatural, Psych, and Doctor Who NERD. My Viscets RP
Image Image Image
I'm also a Viscet nerd c: If you haven't heard of them click here and tell them I referred you please ^-^
~Teya~

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Ranger of the North » Fri Mar 02, 2018 10:21 am

~Teya~ wrote:
In my experience, at least, usually fun? But it can be stressful, depending on what goals you set cx But the goals are adjustable for, Idk, half the month or something like?
The world is quiet here.
Ranger of the North

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby TheSongOfTheStars » Fri Mar 02, 2018 10:25 am

They changed it so you can change your goals right up till it ends

If crediting me for art/character design then please use TheSongOfTheStars on Toyhou.se
or FiveSecondsToFly on deviantart for anywhere else
TheSongOfTheStars

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Ranger of the North » Fri Mar 02, 2018 10:27 am

TheSongOfTheStars wrote:They changed it so you can change your goals right up till it ends
Really!
I don't remember that; gosh, that's reassuring XD
The world is quiet here.
Ranger of the North

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby ~Teya~ » Fri Mar 02, 2018 10:29 am

~Teya~ wrote:
In my experience, at least, usually fun? But it can be stressful, depending on what goals you set cx But the goals are adjustable for, Idk, half the month or something like?

I might give it a try ! :)
Image Image Image
~Teya~

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me