❛ the lazy writers ❜ V2

Are you a writer or a poet? Come and share your creations with us, or discuss writing techniques with others
Forum rules
Please only post your own original work, do not post poetry or stories which were written by someone else.

Re: ❛ the lazy writers ❜ V2

Postby A Voice Among Many » Wed Aug 23, 2017 5:42 pm

Ratking wrote:‬Hi everyone!! I'm very new to writing (I mainly draw!) but I'm currently in a creative writing class. I've really been enjoying myself! I'd love to make some writer friends aha
you can call me Ratking or Zac !

‪Halo! I'm newer to this thread, but I know that it's procedure to warn all writers that come here about carrots. Carrots are evil... And Creative Writing Class? That's neat! I took one of those in my freshman year at high school, but taking the class again wouldn't get me any points so I was forced to not do fun writing stuff a second time. One of the best classes ever from my personal experience.‬

How long have you been writing?
Seven years now, according to my first account on a role-play site. Started with small stuff on Horseland.com and eventually found my way to that site. Over the years, I began to write less and less, but I'm still obsessed with writing just like when I never got sleep due to role-playing so much many years back. The good old days, I tell you.

Do you plan on being an author, or do you write as just a hobby? or both?
Being an author is an idea that started in me about four to five years ago due to my obsession in writing. Since I'm an adult now that's been out of high school for a year, I'm trying to officially start my book writing career. Not going very well. Writing books for FanFiction.Net seems to be a better career chance for me! Too bad I won't get money for being a fan though. 3: I write as a hobby when I have ideas that I can't see selling or if it's a fan thing now a days.

Do you have any insecurities about your writing? Things you feel you need to work on?
I'm a very self-doubtful person in everything I do. Doesn't help that I'm a perfectionist with OCD. I end up pushing myself so much and I often feel like people won't like the finished product. I also never know how to tell if my characters are Mary Sue or not so I get weird about them. That's it for insecurities with writing. Things I need to work one? All of my passion project fan fics that I told my real life friend that will be finished by the end of this year, but they are yet! At least my very stubborn writer's block is some-what letting me write this one fan fic. As for answering the question on a deeper level, try to write more positive and/or comedy like things because I'm a dark writer who's almost always PG-13 with their works.
A Voice Among Many

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Ranger of the North » Wed Aug 23, 2017 8:40 pm

How have your important experiences (moving to a new country, going to college, getting a new job, et cetera) affected your writing?
Imo the hard experiences I've been through have helped me to portray emotions way better than I used to c:

What's the best magic system, alien race, or fantasy species you've created?
Eeeee, the Alcunati are my favourite race so far :.DDD I won't say too much about them, since they appear in To Be Wild, but I just really really like the dudes; probably because they're the first proper basically-human race I've created, haha, and it's been an enjoyable experience C:

In your opinion, what's the best world you've built?
Prob'ly the ones I have yet to write about, set in AUs (sort of) of this world c:

Do any writers or books in particular inspire you?
Yup, definitely! The Hunger Games actually introduced me to/inspired me to try, writing in first-person! J.R.R. Tolkien's work fascinates me, too.

Are there any writing styles you try or have tried to emulate?
“There is nothing new under the sun.”
Of course; most make an impact :p

Kia ora, Zac, welcome along! Watch out for carrots! c:

Around seven or eight years?

First and foremost, it has to be something I enjoy doing. I would be ecstatic if I ever reached publishing-level, though :D

Do you have any insecurities about your writing? Things you feel you need to work on?
Ha
aha
hahahaha
Yes.
Just the usual doubts and fears, really. It ebbs and flows; I go from knowing that I can write well, to being really self-conscious and shy and afraid. It's a pain in the butt, but the good times are nice I guess :p
I definitely need to work on filler! It passes time and interests me in other people's writing, as well as adding more depth and substance, but IT'S SO BORING TO WRITE! I'm not v good at it, lol :p

Ratking wrote:~snip~

And lastly!! Do you guys think I should make a thread for my short stories? I started to yesterday, but then I got scared and deleted it, ahhhh.
Definitely!! Why not? :D

TheSongOfTheStars wrote:~snip~

And guys! After an age and a half I finally did some writing! It's not anything super good, but I'm happy that I'm doing something!
It's just this little prompt I started a while ago.
Yaaaaay, the Great Writer is back on her feet/fingers :D *cheering from the crowd*

rusiriuss wrote:*dances back into the universe* sup kids! i've been busy and on vacation, but i'm here now!

i've made a thread where i complete prompts!
Seen that! Will defs keep following along (:
The world is quiet here.
Ranger of the North

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Aliria » Thu Aug 24, 2017 2:11 am

How have your important experiences (moving to a new country, going to college, getting a new job, et cetera) affected your writing?
My life is boring, and the only big important thing that's happened really didn't affect my writing at all. There have definitely been smaller things in my life that have impacted my writing some, but I can't really think of examples at the moment.

I've never really created a lot of species, or at least not a lot of well-developed ones. As for magic systems, I have a bit of a problem of designing fantasy worlds where I somehow forget to actually include magic. I didn't really develop it much, but I once wrote a short drabble where people could contain magical creatures in objects, and then use the objects to summon the creatures. That was pretty cool, even if it never went anywhere,

My Big Fantasy World™. At least, it's by far my most developed world. I do kind of like some of my sci-fi worlds, most of which technically exist in the same universe, and the world from One, Two, Three was pretty interesting too. It's hard to pick one favorite.

Generally whatever I've read recently inspires me.

My whole life, really. I can't imagine not having a head full of stories. I think I started writing more seriously around middle school, though.

Getting published has always been my ultimate goal. However, I don't actually expect it to happen, at least not any time soon. It's a lot of fun as just a hobby though!

Better question: What parts of my writing don't I have insecurities about?
The main things I need to work on are description, since I never have enough and what I do have is usually much too vague, and actually ever finishing anything.
I'll send out my soul
To worlds more beautiful

Aliria

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Megaguirus » Thu Aug 24, 2017 2:37 am

Well, I've been telling stories since I learned how to talk and started playing with my plastic animals. But I actually started putting words down on paper (or computer) when I was maybe, twelve, I think. Though, I didn't really get into it until my brother gave me the old PC when I turned sixteen. That was when I discovered a thing called forums, and then a bigger thing called roleplay forums. It was thanks to the roleplays on Magistream that fueled my writing into something more than just a hobby.

While I do plan on being an author, I feel there are more important things to pursue. And also I'm so insecure I'm afraid even my short stories aren't going to get accepted.

Ugh, well I could be wrong about this but the evil voice in my head tells me my characters could be better, and my filler could be better, and my descriptions could be better. And that because it could be better, it is currently crap because it isn't good enough. Thanks to my insecurities, I need to work on everything (even though I probably don't). But hey, that'll just make me a better writer in the end, right? Ha. Ha. Ha. *slinks back into hole*

In other news, I just had this reoccurring dream for the third time, and I swear I have to make a story out of it. It's an interesting concept, from what I can remember. A little cliche, but still has potential.

Basically, my sister and I are in some type of haunted house or area and are being tormented by a spirit. It ends up being some type of treasure hunt where we try and solve the mystery to put the spirit at rest (there's your cliche). It's actually a very scary dream, and I have no idea why I've had it three times now, in basically the same fashion, too. But I've never written horror before, so I could fail. And the cliche is a little cringe worthy.

And, naturally, I've forgotten more than half of it. This is why I don't make dreams into stories.
Megaguirus gets distracted by a butterfly. So pretty.

"Go ahead reveal yourself,
As you were born to do,
Their fathers killed the prophets,
Hallelujah! They're going to kill us too."
Children 18:3 - Final

Female/Christian/Homeschooled/INFP/FNaF/Godzilla/Writer/Bugs/Cockroaches/Markiplier
"I'm wearing no disguise, a Jesus Freak 'til the day that I die. And I will not compromise, throw every stone but you can't take my life." 7eventh Time Down - Alive in You
Megaguirus

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby The Worst Username » Thu Aug 24, 2017 3:21 am

I'm just going to give everyone on this thread a virtual hug, because it seems like half of us have had really crummy childhoods and have/have had mental illnesses.

@Zac
    Hello! We love it when people come with premade nicknames, so thank you. Avoid the carrots and don't get smoten; it's a dangerous world. As for the aliendemons, perhaps you could just make up a name for them? Some people like finding words from other languages (e.g., they're the Velnias, which is apparently "demons" in Lithuanian). Or you could do what I do and make up a name, like Cajvach. And you should remake that short story thread! Trust me, nobody's going to hate on you or your writing. (Also your DA is awesome what the heck I'm watching you)

Technically, I've been writing since kindergarten, but I only started writing seriously in the past few years. I just realized that everyone on this thread is older than me, whoops

I feel like I really, really want to get stuff published, but there's also a lot of other things I want to do--like help endangered species and humanitarian causes (and also get a real job, so I don't end up living in a motel on the side of the highway in Texas or something like that). But yeah, I want to publish some dang books.

*clears throat*
    -bad plots
    -flat characters
    -cliches
    -tired themes
    -nonsensical magic systems
    -forced exposition
    -bad dialogue
    -purple prose
    -cruddy worldbuilding
    I'm good at grammar and describing characters, but that's about it.

rus wrote:the best world i've built is the world that my story daydream takes place in. i've developed it and am particularly fond of zombie stories, so that's why i really love it. people are almost wiped out, and the wilderness starts to take over again. i am very proud of it.

Hold on a sec! What the heck? I have a daydream world a lot like that, where a committee of dogs who escaped the pound, some cats all owned by the same recently-dead widow, and a bunch of quirky birds take over the planet. They enlist the help of a magician to take all the humans to a different planet, then they reverse global warming, then they bring a bunch of extinct species back to life...sorry if that makes no sense whatsoever, but a bunch of animals take over the planet in the absence of humans.

@Meg
    Well, the whole putting a spirit to rest thing does sound a tad overdone, but hey, it's hard for dreaming brains to come up with original stuff--they usually just hash together old memories into a semi-coherent story. It seems like you could definitely tweak it into a better plot, and you can fill in all that stuff you forgot.
yeet
The Worst Username

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Silver Pandorica » Thu Aug 24, 2017 3:37 am

Welcome new people! And welcome back people we haven't seen in a while, haha. Stay away from carrots c:

Sorry I've been kinda dead. I didn't really have the motivation to post here oops.

Um...I can't really think of any big things specifically, but everything that happens in my life affects my writing in some way c:

I haven't really done any of those. My main story isn't fantasy, which is kind of odd, since I adore fantasy a whole lot. The races that I have created were lame, so I won't even mention them XD

Whatever that one planet was that that one dude's friend lived on. It was from that outer space story I made a long time ago that I quit? I might revamp it and start over at some point, but I don't see that happening until way later. Oh, there's another world I made for a story I'm planning, but it's only in my head as of now and nothing has been written down or set in stone c:

Rick Riordian! The Percy Jackson books inspire me so much, as I really loved them. The characters were developed so well and the accurate yet creative take on Greek and Roman history was spot on!James Dashner, author of the Maze Runner series, had inspired me a lot as well.

My writing style is (you'll never guess) kind of a mashup of Rick Riordian's, James Dashner's, my own, and bits and pieces I've picked up elsewhere. I love the way Riordian writes, as if you are inside the mind of the character and you can actually perceive their feelings. He puts so much emotion and detail (and humor) into his writing that you actually feel like you're there. Dashner has impacted the way I structure my writing and has also had the effect of me throwing a lot of sarcasm in, haha.

Since I was little! Maybe...eight years? But I only got serious about it three years ago or so.

Both! I do plan on publishing the book I'm writing now, but an author probably won't be my main job when I grow up. Just something on the side. I have other career goals <3

Yeesh. Of course. I don't put nearly enough detail into my writing and I tend to rush through scenes. I get stuck a lot, then put off writing at all, which only makes it worse. I also get distracted easily, so I jump around a lot, and I think I have a hard time grabbing people's attention within the first couple sentences. There's so much more, but I'm in a bit of a hurry so I have to go uwu
Hi, I'm Silver! Local socially
awkward English nerd, cat
lover, co-owner of floravits,
and Animal Crossing fan.
♡♡♡
art threadtrade thread
Silver Pandorica

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Yubel Fated » Thu Aug 24, 2017 8:17 am

i started writing when I was in Elementary school. I started fully writing when I was in Middle.

Both. I dont think i'll ever stop writing fanfiction.

I need to work on writing longer chapters and keeping my characters/canon characters in character. There are a lot of times when I read over a sentence that i wrote and think "Would they actually do that?"

Example:

Prisoner of Galra wrote:Blaze sighed as she rested her head against Lance's in an attempted hug. Between trying to keep her towel up and trying to comfort Lance, her hand was literally full. She wasn't sure she even fully convinced him he was just as important as the rest of the Paladins.

In his mind, she thought, he was useless to them. Which wasn't at all true. Lance was like the support crutch for the team, they needed him just as he needed them.

The ravenette heard the blue paladin sigh as the water washed down his face and neck. Hopefully it'd help him cool down a bit. Or not. Either way was fine with her as long as the male was relaxed.

"So you don't hate me?" Lance asked quietly catching the former prisoner off guard.

Why would she hate him? When she voiced this question, he merely laughed.

I'm not sure how this fits in but:

Prisoner of Galra wrote:Lance fought back a smile as Blaze purred at his hand massaging the shampoo into her hair, slightly reminding him of a cat getting the attention it'd been waiting for.

"You know.." he started, catching her attention before continuing, "I sometimes feel like the fifth wheel.. Eighth if you count Allura and Coran." Lance sighed, "I don't know. It's just... I feel like everyone has their own thing and I just... Don't. Shiro praised me but I dont think he was being sincere about it."

He flinched when Blaze sat up taking her head out of his hands. She tightened the towel around her and turned toward him sitting on her knees, her soapy black hair falling over her shoulders. The scars she had evident from where he was sitting.

"Look. Lance, life will feel like its bringing you down. Things will get in your way they're merely obstacles to overcome. The Blue Lion chose you. It wanted you Lance. not Takashi, not Hunk nor Pidge. Not Keith. You lance. Now I dont know much about Voltron but that's pretty damn impressive in my books." When he didn't show any sign of answering she continued, "It may seem like you're the odd one out but you aren't. You really aren't." You have your own special thing you bring to the team and from what I've seen you treat each other like family. That's a great thing you all have going for you and hey. If you are at the bottom, there's only one way left to go."

"And that is?" He asked looking at her.

"Up."

The two sat quietly letting what was said sink in. The sound of footsteps echoed through the hallways as someone walked past the bathroom to get where they were going. From the light footsteps Blaze deduced that it was Pidge most likely grabbing something for her project with Hunk they'd been excited about. Maybe just grabbing something to eat. Who knew? The door was closed.

Lance leaned forward and rested his forehead against Blaze's wet shoulder and closed his eyes, "You really think so huh...?" he whispered, "What you said... Everything."

"I really meant it. Voltron doesnt seem to just pick anyone..." She picked her next words carefully, seeing how upset the Blue Paladin had become. "Again, it chose you. It could have chosen anyone in this Arceus forsaken universe... But it chose you. There will be a time you will put your skills to use as you probably have in the past. In the meantime though, morale support and heart is what they need Lance. They may grown at your jokes now, but in the end they love you, they need you."

The Blue paladin smiled a little against her shoulder, "Thank you, Blaze."

"You're welcome..." She whispered back.

I guess it seems in character for Lance and Blaze herself as she's not really my character. (Although me and Blaze share some characters sometimes lmao.)

Also to the new people, welcome! Watch out for carrots!

I'm not your protagonist I'm not even my own
I don't know anything I don't even know what I don't know

And if you look outside you'll see disintegrating trees

╔══════════════╗
Name: Shadow
Profile: Judai/Jaden Yuki
Previous: Sora (Kingdom Hearts)
Call me anything though! So be creative!
~Credit~
╚══════════════╝

And if you look outside you'll see disintegrating trees

The artificial way the sunlight bounces off of
g̸̢̮̥̏͝l̷͔̘͍̑̍͝ì̶̛̠̖̒t̸̢̰̩̀̔̾̕c̴̨̘͌̄̈́̿h̶̡͙͔̫̆͜͝í̴̝̎͛̀n̵̡̘̰̈́̔ḡ̷̢̨̫̬̓̀ leaves

────────────────

Yubel Fated

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby ~Teya~ » Thu Aug 24, 2017 8:52 am

How long have you been writing? Like I've said a few times before, not even a year. I feel like such a newbie omg xD One of my earliest stories is so cringy boop

Do you plan on being an author, or do you write as just a hobby? or both? I really don't know, I love writing but I'm scared I'm just not good enough to be a successful writer. Maybe, but I just don't know..

Do you have any insecurities about your writing? Things you feel you need to work on? YES. I think literally every writer has insecurities, it shows you're human. Like I've seen some others mention, I always wonder if I'm keeping my characters in character, and stuff like that. And also my grammar, sometimes I wonder if I'm wording certain things correctly, or should I use a '';'' or a '','' or maybe a ''.''
There are really so many things, I can't cover them all.
Sherlock, Downton Abbey, Once Upon a Time, Supernatural, Psych, and Doctor Who NERD. My Viscets RP
Image Image Image
I'm also a Viscet nerd c: If you haven't heard of them click here and tell them I referred you please ^-^
Check out my NEW and improved Art Shop! My prices are still negotiable c:
My WIP story, ♛ The Prince, ⚔ the Soldier, & the Gifted ☀ #2 <3
~Teya~

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby sparrow; » Thu Aug 24, 2017 4:26 pm

I don't know, really... I haven't had many big experiences in my life that have changed my writing.

I've only really created one magic system, which was for Aaren. That's a book I planned out and never wrote.

Again, Aaren. it had a lot of worldbuilding in it even though I never got around to writing it.

I'm reading The Book Thief right now, and it's amazing. The way it's written is so beautiful, and it's inspiring me a lot.

I've tried to write in an old style a few times (various time periods, various reasons) and never succeeded. Probably because I'm to lazy to research.

Zac - Hello! Don't eat the orange vege c:

I'm not the most dedicated writer, but I've been writing for fun for years.

It's a hobby for me, which is why I rarely force myself to write if I don't want to. Being a full-time author would be awesome, though!

Overall, I like my style of writing (I mean, it's based off the kind of writing I'd like to read so of course I personally quite like it) but I know that it's actually pretty bad and other people wouldn't like it. I don't have specific things I don't like, lots of small things.
sparrow;

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby minimire » Sat Aug 26, 2017 7:50 pm

it was for the book my friend and i are currently working on. it's the first time that i personally really went in depth into creating the history and everything like that. and those are the tribes found in our world. it is far from finished but i am very happy and pleased with what we have so far and the credit for culture goes to my friend since she's awesome at that part XD

i've only ever really built one. i mean i do have some very loose ideas on other worlds but never got time to really work on them. but i'm also really happy with what we have for the world. again, it's far from complete, we're actually still working on it and exploring what we can add as we work on the story

both actually, i do intend to try to sell future books - if i get to them XD but i do occasionally write some poems here and there to pass time so i guess that can count as a hobby XD

minimire

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me