❛ the lazy writers ❜ V2

Are you a writer or a poet? Come and share your creations with us, or discuss writing techniques with others
Forum rules
Please only post your own original work, do not post poetry or stories which were written by someone else.

Re: ❛ the lazy writers ❜ V2

Postby ScarDolphin » Mon Apr 23, 2018 9:13 pm

Ranger of the North wrote:
ScarDolphin wrote:
BucketORandomness wrote:Huzzah! congrats on getting the energy to try a new genre! If you're wanting to try sci-fi, there is a member here ((though more active on the discord)) who specializes in this genre.
Do you have a discord server that's for sharing stories etc?
This link might maybe work? If not, if you tell us your username then someone should be able to invite you! c:

It works! My username is ScarDolphin there too^^
─── Image ─────────────

I'm Scar // She/her // Cancer // GMT+1 //
─────────────────────────────────────
My interests: My horses // Utapri // Hypmic // Idolish7 // Genshin

───────────────────────────────────────────
⧽ --- ⧼ Trade Thread ⧽ --- ⧼

────────── Image ───
ScarDolphin

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Sciencin' » Tue Apr 24, 2018 8:01 am

middle earth. wrote:
    hey guys! i am in need of help! so i'm thinking of straying a little from my usual fantasy genre to try something new - scifi. i've just watched the movie rampage and also rewatched splice and jurassic world. i've always wanted to create a story about scientists, biologist, geneticists and such creating new or genetically modifying animals. but i just can't seem to get a solid idea in my head. and that's been really bugging me. also, i'm planning to do a lot of research on this but since i was not offered the course biology (i self study though), i don't really know how genetics work and all that.

*crashes through the wall like the Kool-Aid man* Did someone say SCIENCE?
Well.... lemme see. I can't really tell you how to do this, since genetic engineering is basically limitless, but I suppose I can give you some pointers on how things work (and what doesn't)?
So I guess one of the things that tends to bug me is: make sure that whatever genetic modifications you make are physically plausible.
For instance, this is a bit specific, but from what I can tell from the Rampage movie, the only real physical change that happened to the animals in it is that they were bigger- which wouldn't work. Animals on land can only get so big: you can't simply scale up an animal and expect it to be able to support its own weight: "If you took an animal and blew it up in size, mathematics dictates that the creature’s mass would increase cubically, or by a power of three. However, by the same ratio of size increase, the width of the creature’s body, and thus its bones and muscles, would increase only by a power of two." After a certain point, they wouldn't be able to support their own weight, et cetera. Some changes- like, I dunno, trying to add wings to an animal not built to fly- will probably be more complicated than simply slapping some wings on there and calling it a day: birds have many other adaptations (such as air sacs in their lungs which allow them to breathe continuously and hollow, fused bones which make their skeletons lighter and stronger) to allow for flight.
Another thing (not sure if it's relevant or not to what you want to write but I tend to catch this in movies and such a lot??): genetic engineering is usually performed on single cells or embryos, not full-grown animals. It would be extremely difficult to genetically modify an entire organism to develop some physical change (of course, gene therapy and modifying only small groups of cells in the body, etc, are still viable, but altering an entire organism would be near impossible), let alone have these changes happen immediately. Assuming you could modify an existing organism, it would probably take a while for changes to show themselves.
Here's a lil article/video on how CRISPR, which is a pretty cool new thing that's probably going to be used for a lot of genetic engineering in the future, works; this and this should outline the basics of genetic engineering in general.
There's a lot of info on this online, and I really am not sure how much help this was, but if you have any specific questions or something feel free to ask me? :> I'm more or less the unofficial Lazy Writers Science Adviser so throw ur science inquiries at me and I shall be happy to browse wikipedia and my own comparatively meager knowledge for u
i have rats. i will forfeit all my digital possessions to own digital rats. give me your rats. trade me your rats. i will treasure them.
Sciencin'

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby AriDeZu » Wed Apr 25, 2018 4:11 pm

Ooh, there's my school for the day. Thanks Sci :)
I'm now working on not one, but two new projects! Throws confetti Both of which are for school, but I'm really excited for both of them.
One of them will be a collection of little horror stories based off germanic folklore, and the other is a three-way crossover with me and Mai and our mother.
We're writing fan fiction, but taking the charries out of their would and tossing them in ours. We're each choosing a fandom that the other two (probably) don't know very well, and going from there.

I'm choosing Inhuman as my fandom does anyone know that book? It's by Kat Falls My poor Gray is going to be so cunfuzzled. I'm not really sorry though
Hi there! I love anime and manga. Mainly Fairy Tail, Psycho Pass, From Far Away, SNK, Akagami no Shirayuki-Hime, and Akatsuki no Yona.
I really like talking to other people so feel free to pm me :)
I'm open to most trades, so again, feel free to send me one :)
Image Image

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby winged-backpack » Fri Apr 27, 2018 7:15 am

Hey everyone. Sorry I've been gone a while, so damn under with school work. 2 months and I never have real school again (university doesn't count) so it's all a mad rush before exams.

Anyways, guess who's been writing songs again. (This guy *finger guns*) This time it's sort of a rant to all the people who used to bully me/residual salt from a fight my best friend and I had a while back.

The Way You Hate Me wrote:I love the way you hate me
Love the fact that you want me dead
All you want is to see me crumble
But, all I do it get stuck in your head

You never appreciated me
Never helped when I was down
Never made me feel good about myself
Only ever made me feel like clown

Yeah, that's all I have right now, I only really wrote this to put off my coursework that's due tomorrow, just wanted to see what you guys think.
xxxxxAND I
THE PUMPKIN
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
call me devon or dev (i'm a mess and so is my gender
they/them pronouns) I love Harry Potter, Star Wars,
and Tim Burton films. Birthday is 27th October ^^

Feel free to PM me about anything!

intj, chaotic neutral, ravenclaw, scorpio

my art shop//also I'm writing a book (16+)

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
winged-backpack

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby TheSongOfTheStars » Fri Apr 27, 2018 1:02 pm

You never appreciated me

For some reason, I just really enjoy the amount of angry saltiness that this radiates

If crediting me for art/character design then please use TheSongOfTheStars on Toyhou.se
or FiveSecondsToFly on deviantart for anywhere else
TheSongOfTheStars

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Ranger of the North » Fri Apr 27, 2018 3:45 pm

TheSongOfTheStars wrote:

You never appreciated me
For some reason, I just really enjoy the amount of angry saltiness that this radiates
I was gonna say the same! The sarcasm and salty satisfaction is A+ 👌 although I must say, the second verse has me sympathetic

The newest Write to Rank prompt is historical-fiction + action, so I'm gonna be revisiting Red at Gallipoli!! :D
I did it!! Very happy with this one :D
The world is quiet here.
Ranger of the North

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby winged-backpack » Sat Apr 28, 2018 8:52 am

TheSongOfTheStars wrote:

You never appreciated me
I was gonna say the same! The sarcasm and salty satisfaction is A+ 👌 although I must say, the second verse has me sympathetic

Thank you both! That's sort of what I was going for - kind of pre-2007 Avril Lavigne angst :lol:
The ironic thing is I've actually pretty much made up with the person about whom this is, so it's a bit futile but I kinda like how me it is. Like, my friend once went to McDonald's for lunch and when he came back to school with it, he just gave me a bunch of salt packets...I still have them just for the comedic value of throwing them at people because I am "the salty one" in my friendship group.
xxxxxAND I
THE PUMPKIN

winged-backpack

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Ranger of the North » Wed May 02, 2018 4:59 pm

Ahahaha, that's awesome XD
The world is quiet here.
Ranger of the North

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby winged-backpack » Thu May 03, 2018 2:12 am

So the thread's kinda died recently huh?

What's everyone working on right now? I'm currently trying to get out of a block so I'm starting a few new projects. One was that song I was writing which hasn't gone anywhere since I last posted. Then my newest project is something I was brainstorming on here a while back, not sure if any of you remember it?

Basically the premise was a supervillain who starts doing good when his Antarctic lair is being threatened by climate change. But all the heroes are trying to stop him because of his label of being a 'villain'. It's sort of going to be a underlying comment on human impact on climate change as well as racism and labelling. What do you guys think?

(Edit: I'm writing the opening on my laptop rn and the word "villain" has started to stop looking like a word to me...I hate it when this happens)
xxxxxAND I
THE PUMPKIN

winged-backpack

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby TheSongOfTheStars » Thu May 03, 2018 4:02 am

At the moment I'm working on a lot of little things. I built up a lot of one-shot ideas over camp and want to clear out all the drafts in my manage drafts box or whatever it's called

If crediting me for art/character design then please use TheSongOfTheStars on Toyhou.se
or FiveSecondsToFly on deviantart for anywhere else
TheSongOfTheStars

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me