❛ the lazy writers ❜ V2

Are you a writer or a poet? Come and share your creations with us, or discuss writing techniques with others
Forum rules
Please only post your own original work, do not post poetry or stories which were written by someone else.

Re: ❛ the lazy writers ❜ V2

Postby Megaguirus » Wed Aug 23, 2017 3:54 am

Woah, Winter, that is one heck of an experience! I can't even imagine living in such an environment.

I can partially, though, because my mother was abused by her mother as a child, and still suffers from PTSD to this day.

How have your important experiences (moving to a new country, going to college, getting a new job, et cetera) affected your writing?

Let's see, most experiences I've had have been relatively mediocre, and haven't really affected my writing. I have experienced a lot of animal deaths, which have affected my writing in a sense that I know how to appropriately write touching death scenes. I'm empathic, too, so really, I don't have to experience something to write it. If it has happened in a show or movie, realistically, mind you, then I can copy the feel into my stories. I will say one thing, though, that has majorly affected my writing. My father was never emotionally there for me and my siblings, or even my mother for that matter. This caused a lot of my early stories to lack a father-figure, the main character (which was usually a self-insert of myself) would only have a mother or mother figure, since I am close to mine. Of course, most of my stories still do, but I'm working on changing that.

What's the best magic system, alien race, or fantasy species you've created?

Ooh, that's a hard one. Most of the species I've made were developed for a novel that I never finished (because I realized the main character was a Mary-Sue self-insert *cringes*), so the entire world and species need a revamping. However, there are still good species in there, they just need more work when I decide to start rewriting it. My favorite would have to be the Redifians, a species of sentient pterosaur-chimpanzees. They are the size of chimpanzees and walk on their knuckles like chimps, they can also walk on two legs if they want. But they have pterosaur wings for their arms, and long tails that are connected to the wing-membrane. Their heads are that of a pterosaur, but their overall build is like a lighter and skinnier chimp. They also have biolumensence on their undersides, giving them the ability to fly around and hunt at night (this isn't far-fetched, barn owls have been observed to use the same thing. That's probably where we got "ghost lights" or will-of-wisps.) Some were also able to control the weather, but this is probably going to be dropped in the rewrite.

So how did I come up with such creatures? I already had the concept of pterosaur creatures because of my interests in both the extinct and cryptid pterosaurs, but the reason they became ape like is because I had just finished watching Dawn of the Planet of the Apes, and loved it so much I decided to give them more chimpanzee qualities.

In your opinion, what's the best world you've built?

Normally, I would choose the world my dropped novel is based in, but it needs a lot of work now. No, now I would have to choose the world my dinosaur and upcoming mammal novels are based in. It's so big now, and is becoming more and more interesting as I continue development.

Do any writers or books in particular inspire you?

The Percy Jackson series inspires me to write convincing and intriguing characters, and I like Rick Riordan's writing style. But other than that, not really. I don't know, I'm inspired by a lot of things, and each thing seems to change each day.

Are there any writing styles you try or have tried to emulate?

I've dabbled in some, and failed in many. LOL, yeah, I've learned that it's best just to develop and stick with my own writing style.
Megaguirus gets distracted by a butterfly. So pretty.

"Go ahead reveal yourself,
As you were born to do,
Their fathers killed the prophets,
Hallelujah! They're going to kill us too."
Children 18:3 - Final

Female/Christian/Homeschooled/INFP/FNaF/Godzilla/Writer/Bugs/Cockroaches/Markiplier
"I'm wearing no disguise, a Jesus Freak 'til the day that I die. And I will not compromise, throw every stone but you can't take my life." 7eventh Time Down - Alive in You
Megaguirus

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby winged-backpack » Wed Aug 23, 2017 7:33 am

Wowow sorry for the inactivity, I was coming back from holiday and I've been out for a lot of the last few days and had no time for anything!! My ferry back from france was actually delayed 3 hours so the trip back took over 17 hours!

@Worst
(I just wanted to say thank you for using Devon, no one actually uses it irl even though I'd like them to, it made me smile thank youuuu)

How have your important experiences (moving to a new country, going to college, getting a new job, et cetera) affected your writing?
Not at all, apart from maybe how much I write? I mean my mental illnesses do end up coming into it, as I project them onto my characters a lot, so the times when I've been at mega lows or panicking or whatever have ended up making their way into my writing (especially my poetry), but apart from that I've kept my life separate from my writing.

I love Edgar Allen Poe and Stephen King. They're my absolute favourites. I first read Poe back when I was a full-on emo, but his works still resonate with me now. It's all so poetic and weirdly modern compared to other authors from the romantic era (looking at you, Mary Shelley >_>). Stephen King was someone my mum made me read quite early on and I just fell in love with his writing. The first one I read was The Green Mile and I sobbed so much at the end, honestly I've never cried at a book like that before or since! I take a lot of my structuring from King, because he tends to write really varied but shorter chapter lengths, which I've always found easier to read. Books with consistently long chapters I find really difficult to keep up with because I'll get bored halfway though a chapter and then I'll forget what's happened when I go back to it.

Not really, I write for myself, so I tend to write in my own way. I guess I have influences from the authors I read a lot, but I don't try to emulate any particular style. I've been told (I can't remember who by) that my style is quite formal, but that could possibly be because I have to write a lot of essays for school, but that doesn't really affect me and I don't see why slightly more formal language would have an impact on how enjoyable the story is.

Lil' update on 10,000 doors, I did write another chapter, but I'm thinking this post is long enough, so I will post a proper update once I've done another chapter or so ^^
xxxxxAND I
THE PUMPKIN
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
call me devon or dev (i'm a mess and so is my gender
they/them pronouns) I love Harry Potter, Star Wars,
and Tim Burton films. Birthday is 27th October ^^

Feel free to PM me about anything!

intj, chaotic neutral, ravenclaw, scorpio

my art shop//also I'm writing a book (16+)

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
winged-backpack

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby A Voice Among Many » Wed Aug 23, 2017 8:55 am

@The Worst Username: I won't say I murder characters as much, I mainly just mess with them... a lot. I don't doubt that I murder my reader's spirits though. :3 And it's fine about the banning thing! I found websites I like better anyways~.

Who is the least favorite character you've created?
I'm suppose to have a least favorite? Well, I messed up somewhere when creating all of my characters then. I guess I'll say my worst character ever. He's a cat OC for Warrior Cats that I made for role-playing. He was so violent that he was banned from his clan. His mind is very smart so he learned how to use human things. To say it child friendly wise... he's really evil and I blame him for me being a darker writer now.

What is your favorite (or top five favorite) children's book(s)? By this I mean a picture book or short early reader chapter book.
1) The Very Hungry Caterpillar
2) A Fish Out of Water by Dr. Seuss
3) Are You My Mother
I would have four, but one of them has an inappropriate title which is actually the character's name and so I can't post that book.

What would be the most horrible situation you, or a character you're writing, could possibly go through? Some of your fears?
The most horrible thing? Going based off of a fanfiction I'm suppose to write. A bunch of kids which are immortal, probably half human. They are siblings that are happy together and got split up after an enemy land killed their mother in-front of them. The younger two were taken to the enemy country and the youngest was brainwashed to thinking that his siblings are evil. The other captured one isn't being brainwashed, but he won't stop fighting for freedom. The older two are training to fight the enemy to get their siblings back. When the enemy releases the kidnapped siblings, the youngest one kind-of losses it and won't trust the others. In fact, he end up capturing his other siblings after fighting wars against them and deeply hurting them with physical, mental, and spiritual wounds. In modern day, second eldest of the siblings has 100% freedom from the youngest one and the eldest one is the only one who refuses to kill or harm the youngest. That's it simplified and it sounds really messy. I tried though. ;.;

My fears? Spiders. Centipedes. Knifes. Fire. Air planes. Bodies of water and drowning, those two are very much linked together. I'm not afraid of elevators, but I highly dislike the up/down movement.

Which age group do you tend to write for?
I'm defiantly a PG-13 writer. It's the reason I refuse to role-play on this site, unless it's for the Murder in Thunderclan game because that game is really fun and I don't see it as an actually role-play.

For those of you who have school starting soon/it's already started: how does schoolwork affect your writing?
I got out of high-school a year ago. But I want to answer this anyways. A lot. I could hardly do any writing for fun when I got into high-school. I had to do it in between classes and at lunch. When I got home and when I woke up from three to four hours of sleep. School tried to kill the creativity in me, but I fought and now I'm stuck in the worst writer's block I have ever been in.

While you're on a trip do you prefer to read or write?
Writing. I listen to music and read and then write everything I see or get inspired by.

Not much. I just use my experiences to not make me look extremely dumb while writing because I usually try to wing-it. Nothing exciting happens in my life. ;.;

I suck at non-realistic, but... I created an earthworm thing about a year or two ago for a Doctor Who monster/alien for a role-play my real life friend was doing with me. I kind-of like that earthworm alien.

Not really, but there's this one FanFic writer who I loved her story. She stopped writing it and now I want to write something similar, but my own take on the whole thing. It won't be copying her at all. It's basically like getting Chrome and Firefox and turning them into people and they interact with stuff kind-of thing. It'll be 100% my take one such an idea.

@WinterSerperior: Can't say that I can't relate nor can I say that I do relate to your experience. I'm sorry that you had to go through all of that, but I'm relieved that you're in a better place now.
A Voice Among Many

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Woogwoo Wren » Wed Aug 23, 2017 9:12 am

Moving to the town I currently live in was a big thing, because I met Ranger and having a friend who was into writing as well helped inspire me. Also when a friend showed me Chicken Smoothie. This site, and the people who were part of the writing community when I first joined inspired me a lot and showed me sites like Nano and wattpad, which really helped as well.

Hmmm... I haven't actually created that many species tbh...

Y'know that bad story I keep mentioning? It's one redeeming factor is that it had a pretty cool map.

Christopher Paolini and the Inheritance Cycle. I would have been about... ten when I read those books and I really enjoyed them. I was inspired to write more when I learned that Christopher was homeschooled - like me - and started writing Eragon when he was only sixteen. I guess that showed me that I could write stories as well. Until then I hadn't really thought that I could publish because I was just a kid and it was stupid to even try. My goal was to get published at younger than sixteen, but that hasn't happened, so...
But yeah. Those books inspired me so much and they're quite possibly my favourite series - because of what they helped me to accomplish. I don't think I would have been nearly into writing if it weren't for them.
I remember when the last book came out, and my older brother hadn't read it yet. And we were at the park with a group of friends, and I remember dropping back with one of them to talk about it because he had read it but we didn't want to spoil it for my brother.

Probably unconsciously, but I can't think of any off the top of my head.
"An eye for an eye
Hello! I'm Wren! I'm in my mid-teens and live
in New Zealand. I enjoy writing, reading, watching videos,
cosplaying, and drawing occasionally! I'm a Christian,
and always up to meeting new friends!

~ P ~ M ~ A ~
| Stories| A03 | Wattpad |
| RWBY | Merlin | Doctor Who | HP |
| 🐦| 🐺 | 🔬 | 🦊 |
|

and the world goes blind."
Woogwoo Wren

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby DeMaizu » Wed Aug 23, 2017 9:30 am

The Looking Glass Domains, in Cards. Or, no, I think the Dreaming World in . . . uh, Dreaming Worlds. I'm pretty sure that Ranger is the only one who's read it. I'm just really in love with the idea of dreams being portal things to other realities, and that while you're in those portals, you can do anything and everything.

Well, for Griffin, it was the book Firebug (don't remember the name of the author). It was about this girl who could manifest fire, and she was pretty much on the run from this supernatural mafia nearly the whole book, and then she fought against the leader of it in the climax. Then there's Rick Riordan -- he's amazing and I love him and his stories.

If there are, I have no idea, and it was all subconscious. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

The Worst Username wrote:@Mai
    Welcome back to the party; that story sounds really interesting. What do you mean by "mute exorcist kid", though? Do they perform exorcisms or are they possessed? If you rewrite it, I'd definitely want to read it.

Well, I always saw him as performing exorcisms, but him being possessed isn't all that bad an idea . . . . As for the mute part, he can only talk when he's doing exorcisms, or he's been pulled into a Limbo-like world where all the ghosts and things that go bump in the night are. I think, though, that his story is probably gonna be on the back burner for the forseeable future. But I'll let you know when I wanna work on it!

The Worst Username wrote:@Mai
    Darth Squishy sounds like a fantastic name, man. I'll try and leave some criticism on your writing soon, but I'm kind of in a rush, whoops.

Doesn't it? :D Hey, no problem - life happens!
DeMaizu

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby The Worst Username » Wed Aug 23, 2017 12:52 pm

There's a lot...to keep it short, I'd say that learning about the natural world, leaving religion, bullying, politics, family issues, and moving all affected me as a person, so they definitely affect the tone, style, and themes of my writing!

I'm still relatively new to writing, so I've only created one magic system so far, but I kind of like it? Basically, there's these enormous reservoirs of magic lying all around the world, and all the magic in them is transparent. When someone goes into a magic reservoir, the magic latches onto them, and it sort of detects a person's state of mind while latching on (cynics and optimists get different magic, for example), and its potency depends a lot on someone's emotions. People whose magic feeds on fear can't perform well when they're happy and confident; people whose magic feeds on confidence don't perform well when they're afraid. Its color depends on the person and the emotion it's linked to. Magic returns to the original reservoir when the carrier dies.

I haven't really created any fantasy species, now that I think about it. Most of them are just lesser-known animals (at least in the part of the world where I live) like the nyala and jacana and maiacetus (my favorite protocetid/my profile picture) and whatnot. I did kind of edit the maiacetuses, though; I gave them purple eyes and grey, whale-like fur, even though they're usually depicted as dark-eyed, brown-furred creatures. I also gave them the ability to jump out of the water like dolphins, even though I'm not sure if they'd be able to do that, based on their skeletons and body shape.
    Again, rookie writer over here, so I've only created maybe...four entire worlds? But my most recent one has to be my favorite. It's a world with humans living in a sort of theocratic oligarchy with technology from the 70s, and even though they have decently advanced technology, no one really knows what's on the other side of the world. Sort of like if nobody from Asia, Africa, or Europe had ever conquered, or even known of, the Americas. Well, in this world, there's a bunch of continents ruled by animals and magic, except for one island where there's a bunch of humans, and they're kind of screwing up the environment (are you sensing the liberal overtones yet?). Humans are driven away. I like it not because it's original at all, but because everything is really detailed and thought out. Not to toot my own horn, but I have about 13,500 words dedicated to the worldbuiilding of the human island, and it's only partway finished. Maybe that's too much? Yes.
    Has anyone read H is for Hawk or Birds of a Lesser Paradise? (I read a lot of bird books. Go modern dinosaurs!) They're beautifully written, and I try to emulate their styles a bit. Such good books.
yeet
The Worst Username

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby ~Teya~ » Wed Aug 23, 2017 1:48 pm

How have your important experiences (moving to a new country, going to college, getting a new job, et cetera) affected your writing? I'm a homeschooler, I barely ever meet new people or experience new things, I come up with my writing from the soul. PFFFT IM JOKING! (at least.. about the ''soul'' part >.> or maybe, I do write from my soul ;0000)

What's the best magic system, alien race, or fantasy species you've created? I've really never made a magic system, but I'm actually going to work on one once I'm done my story ^^
I briefly mention ''an alien race'' only once ;0;
I've never created my own species.. ;--; (I've only been writing stories for fun for less than a year, I'm sorry! XD)

In your opinion, what's the best world you've built? Again, I'm fairly new to writing long and intricate type stories, so really, the only world building I've done at all is in the story I'm still writing ;D

Do any writers or books in particular inspire you? J. R. R. Tolkien! While I was reading Lord of the Rings, (which took friggin' forever XDD) it really inspired me to write more, I mean hey, if someone can write a story soo long, intricate and detailed, and create such a vibrant place that you can imagine so clearly in your mind, why can't I write something not even a tenth of its length, why can't I make a story people care about?

Are there any writing styles you try or have tried to emulate? Idk, if I see something in a book I like, I use it, but I don't really know what the style would be called.
Sherlock, Downton Abbey, Once Upon a Time, Supernatural, Psych, and Doctor Who NERD. My Viscets RP
Image Image Image
I'm also a Viscet nerd c: If you haven't heard of them click here and tell them I referred you please ^-^
Check out my NEW and improved Art Shop! My prices are still negotiable c:
My WIP story, ♛ The Prince, ⚔ the Soldier, & the Gifted ☀ #2 <3
~Teya~

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Quitting12345 » Wed Aug 23, 2017 1:55 pm

Hi everyone!! I'm very new to writing (I mainly draw!) but I'm currently in a creative writing class. I've really been enjoying myself! I'd love to make some writer friends aha
you can call me Ratking or Zac !

In general, I think a lot of the hardships I've been through have strongly affected everything I do. Without going into to much detail, My mom had schizophrenia and my childhood wasn't all that great sometimes : (
    However, because of this I like to think I have an interesting perspective on certain things!

I don't think it's incredibly original, but I really enjoy thinking about my "Space Demon", Nova and other characters I have that live in his world! Nova was an astronaut when some stray rocks and garbage collided with his and his teammates' spaceship. No one survived, but demonic alien creatures saw potential in Nova and offered him a deal. If he gave them His soul, they would make sure his team returns to Earth. Which they did, but the demons never specified they would make it back alive.
    I don't know, aha. Like I said! Not super original, but fun none the less :3

p.s. If anyone knows a cooler way I could word "Space Demon"? It makes me feel too much like an edgy 12 year old calling him that, hmm. Maybe demonic alien creatures? but that sounds a bit forced to me?

Currently, I only have Nova's world!! Like I said above, I don't think is super original, but it's got a close place in my heart since its my first real world I've ever thought of.

aaand, I can't really answer the other questions! I don't read much, and I haven't really written long enough to try out any styles. I definitely need to work on reading more books.
I have some questions, if that's alright !!

Code: Select all
[b]How long have you been writing?[/b]

[b]Do you plan on being an author, or do you write as just a hobby? or both?[/b]

[b]Do you have any insecurities about your writing? Things you feel you need to work on?[/b]

How long have you been writing?
    This may sound silly, but only a few weeks! Ive been really getting into it, though. :3

Do you plan on being an author, or do you write as just a hobby? or both?
    Writing is mainly just a hobby for me.

Do you have any insecurities about your writing? Things you feel you need to work on?
    I feel I need to work on my grammar and conclusions. I'm curious to see what other people struggle with.

And lastly!! Do you guys think I should make a thread for my short stories? I started to yesterday, but then I got scared and deleted it, ahhhh.
Quitting12345

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby TheSongOfTheStars » Wed Aug 23, 2017 4:04 pm

Hey Zac! Watch out for the carrots!
(Though if you've only been a writer for a few weeks it might not yet apply to you. Ah, you'll get there, you'll get there)

A few years now, almost.... Gosh, like four or five? And look at all I've accomplished.
Nothing. ^&^
I guess both? I mean, being an author is the ultimate goal, but I love doing it for fun too.
Do you have any insecurities about your writing? Things you feel you need to work on?
I need to work so, so, so much on plotting. I really used to be opposed to the idea of planning everything out because it just sounded like a huge pain and winging it seemed so much more appealing. But after two attempts at writing a full book and several ideas that petered out, I realized that I had to write an outline if I wanted to do anything at all. And it's actually a lot of fun, figuring the whole thing out before writing it. I feel secure knowing the smaller details of the middle especially.

And guys! After an age and a half I finally did some writing! It's not anything super good, but I'm happy that I'm doing something!
It's just this little prompt I started a while ago.

If crediting me for art/character design then please use TheSongOfTheStars on Toyhou.se
or FiveSecondsToFly on deviantart for anywhere else
TheSongOfTheStars

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby polysaccharide » Wed Aug 23, 2017 4:05 pm

*dances back into the universe* sup kids! i've been busy and on vacation, but i'm here now!

i've made a thread where i complete prompts!

moving to a new country -
    moving gave me a bunch of issues. not gonna lie, it really influenced my anxiety. i have actually stood out in the rain and cold for an hour and a half instead of asking people for directions. yep. the anxiety has stuck with me, even years after moving back home. it makes it harder for me to publish or share stories. i get scared that people won't like it or that it's been done before. i also was exposed to a lot of new people, ideas, and lifestyles. it gave me a broader perspective of things. it allowed me to write different types of characters, as well as make their personalities and thought processes more diverse and realistic.
losing people i love -
    i lost multiple family members in a span of about two months, around the winter holidays. because of this, my writing can take on a dark, depressed, or angry tone at the drop of a hat. these events also let me know how to write realistic angst/character death. i know how it feels now, so i can make the reactions/aftermath believable.

the best alien species i've come up with doesn't have a name, but they live on a small planet with very extreme temperatures. the orbit of the planet causes there to be only winter and summer, the winters being freezing and the summers very warm. because of this, the species has very heavy winter coats that resemble those of polar bears, with similar hair structure. they have a fine, soft undercoat for the summer, and black skin to absorb heat. they are large compared to humans, ranging from 6 to 10 feet tall. they have broad shoulders and small waists, and are very muscular. their coat colors range from grey to a bright teal, and they have broad stripes on their backs and short tails.
    they have long, rounded ears and horns that jut from their temples. these horns are a deep teal color, and are the same color as their bones. their teeth are sharp and vary from white to yellow in color. their blood is blue. there is no sexual dimorphism in the species, and gender is an unfamiliar concept to them. they simply call each other by names.

quail is an example of the species

the best world i've built is the world that my story daydream takes place in. i've developed it and am particularly fond of zombie stories, so that's why i really love it. people are almost wiped out, and the wilderness starts to take over again. i am very proud of it.

authors
    jk rowling, stephen king, faye kellerman, and others inspire me quite a bit.

rowling's harry potter has inspired my love of magic and the different species i come up with for some of my stories, as well as the themes of some of my writings.

stephen king has inspired a darker tone to some of my stories, as well as different settings and characters.

faye kellerman's decker and lazarus series (a wonderful crime-solving/romance series; i highly recommend it to older readers as the plots can be gruesome) has inspired me to write characters of diverse faith and background. i've learned quite a bit about judaism from her books, and it has made me interested in learning and writing about different cultures and groups.

books
    a lot of books have inspired my writing, but i'll give you a couple of the most recent ones i've read and loved.

house of leaves - mark z danielewski
    this book has inspired some of my darker stories. it's very blunt, with an unreliable narrator and an odd style. the way it's written is in such a factual style, almost like an essay. a truly remarkable work, it gave me inspiration for some of my psychological horror stories and has given me ideas for how to write different perspectives. it inspired one of my more recent ideas involving an unreliable narrator.

fahrenheit 451 - ray bradbury
    this book has given me a different perspective on a dystopian society. it's cryptic in some places, confusing in others, and needs to be read multiple times to be processed. although it hasn't directly inspired any works or ideas of mine, it's definitely added to my definition of the word "dystopia."

anthem - ayn rand
    what is it with me and dystopias? like fahrenheit 451, this short story hasn't directly influenced my stories, but it's made me realize the importance of identity and helped me develop the way i present characters.

not that i know of. when i was younger, i may have tried to write poems like shel silverstein, but i don't really remember.

honestly, not very long. since february, i think. that's when i started writing longer works, over 100 words each.

currently i don't plan on being an author. i will definitely continue writing in my free time as a hobby, and will possibly publish stories, but i won't write as a job.

i always feel like i'm being really cliche. it doesn't bother me too much, because sometimes cliche is good, but i doesn't to be a bit original and unique. i feel like i'm not very good at descriptions, and tend to linger on things that aren't too important. that's what i do i real life, though, so it's hard not to focus on detail. i need to work on explaining actions, too. i can do dialogue, but keeping up with pacing and movements is disastrous for me.
pierce - he/him
Image Image Image Image
polysaccharide

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me