The Challenge of the Rainbow

Are you a writer or a poet? Come and share your creations with us, or discuss writing techniques with others
Forum rules
Please only post your own original work, do not post poetry or stories which were written by someone else.

The Challenge of the Rainbow

Postby TheSongOfTheStars » Tue Apr 21, 2015 5:50 pm

Basics
i. Red
ii. Orange
iii. Yellow
iv. Green
v. Blue
vi. Purple
vii. Pink

Advanced
i. Crimson
ii. Aqua
iii. Emerald
iv. Mint
v. Juniper
vi. Periwinkle
vii. Lavender
viii. Violet
ix. Turquoise

The Scales:
i. Grey Scale
ii. Blue Scale
iii. Purple Scale
iv. Pink Scale
v. Red Scale

The Patterns:
i. Stripes
ii. Spots
iii. Checked

The Rainbow Writers Challenge
Welcome!
This is yet another of my challenge threads
I'm going to try to only use dragons in this one as I need practice with these magnificent beasts
Stick around if you want and post too!
Last edited by TheSongOfTheStars on Tue May 19, 2015 1:01 am, edited 4 times in total.

If crediting me for art/character design then please use TheSongOfTheStars on Toyhou.se
or FiveSecondsToFly on deviantart for anywhere else
TheSongOfTheStars

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

1# red

Postby TheSongOfTheStars » Fri Apr 24, 2015 3:39 pm

Red

Massive crimson wings swept the air, still majestic despite the ragged edges and raw sores.
The gentle currents of air stirred by the mighty beast reached up to ruffle the thin young elf's face.

A smile pulled at his pale lips "Are you ready, my lady?"

The dragoness let out a sigh that carried the heat of a summer's day.
Talifin's eagerness was due this time. She had made him wait long for something she should've acted on immediately.
But even now, doubt hung like a heavy cloud over her horns, seeming to catch on her spikes and seep into her scales.

She could still be wrong. Wrong like she had been before.

"My lady? Are you ready?"

She brought her head up and rested it along the ledge he stood on.
"No, Talifin, I am not ready. I am not certain, the way you are. We both know the consequences, the results of this."

The fragile creature moved his stringy hair from his face with long fingers "This looks like madness, does it not? Sealing an entire species and blocking off a source of so much energy, so much power?"
But the smile still clung to his face "Do not turn this into one of the horrible tales, Meriditha. One of the stories where entire nations are swept away because they were not warned. Because the heroes refused to strike first."

A spire of smoke curled up from her left nostril.
How could something so small, so young, so impermanent, understand so much and help others to understand as well?

He was right.

She slipped her head down and laid it against the ground.

Only she could do this.
Only a Behemoth Dragon could do this and she was the only Behemoth left.

This was for her fallen kind.
This was also so that no others would fall.

"I am ready, Talifin."

"This is worth it Meriditha. It'll be glorious."

And it was.
Only one song would ever commemorate their act. It would be lost in the long shadow of the following age as would their sacrifice.
Last edited by TheSongOfTheStars on Sun Oct 16, 2016 9:12 am, edited 5 times in total.

If crediting me for art/character design then please use TheSongOfTheStars on Toyhou.se
TheSongOfTheStars

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

2# Orange

Postby TheSongOfTheStars » Wed Apr 29, 2015 2:46 pm

Orange
"Hey, you lost?"
Ryder jumped as the question came echoing out of nowhere and he whipped his head around searching the empty space beneath the arch "Huh. Yeah?"
There was a dry rustle of wings and scales and out of the high vaulted shadows a young drey dragon came plummeting downwards.
Ryder tumbled backwards as the orange dragon landed in front of hin with a friendly tilt of his head "So, where're you trying to go?"
"Oh...ah...ah..." Ryder's heartbeat tripled in time as he stared up into the orange eyes and lost his voice.
"You alright?" The drey crouched closer, his warm breath spilling over Ryder and ruffling his messy red hair.
"Y...eah, I'm fine. I'm lost, but I'm fine," he swallowed hard "You're a..."
"Drey, right," he shuffled his wings with a tiny bit of pride "You've never seen one have you?"
"No. Are they -you- all orange?"
"No," the drey shook his oval head "Most of us are green or light yellow. I'm a misfit," he laughed like he didn't really beleive what he'd said "By the way I'm Scio."
"O-oh, I'm Ryder. I'm lost."
"You mentioned that," Scio blew out a breath soft snort of amusement "Where do you need to go?"
"Oh...I'm trying to get back to the open market. I'm supposed to meet my family there, but I got turned around a bit....umm could you point me in the right direction."
"Well, I could, but you'd have to be able to walk through walls to get there in a straight line or...I could fly you there. It'd take three minutes."
"Oh. Oh, I don't know," Ryder looked up at the strange dragon "I wouldn't want to trouble you."
"No trouble, I'm actually passing by there on my way out of the city," Scio knelt, his powerful back legs doubling up and his much smaller forelegs bracing against the ground as he arched his neck out "Come on, I won't drop you, I promise."
Ryder gritted his teeth, he was totally lost and Scio seemed friendly.
"Alright, if you could just drop me- put me down gently by the animal stalls I'd appreciate it."
Scio chuckled, a deep rumbly thrum that drummed in Ryder's ears "I will set you down gently. I promise."
"Okay," Ryder pressed his palms against the smooth orange scales and pulled himsel up, dragging his leg up over Scio's leg "I've never ridden a drey before."
"Most people haven't," slowly Scio straightened up and Ryder slid down his neck to his shoulders.
"How many people have you let ride on you?" Ryder asked the back of the orange head.
"Uh..." Scio undfurled his massive broad wings, the top a burnished brown tint of his orange scales, the bottom a richer red "Well, none to be honest."
"Wait what?"
"Hold on!"
Scio lurched forwards into the air, throwing Ryder back between his pumping shoulder blades, then hurling him forwards as he dipped back down to swoop beneath the opening of the arch.
"Slooowwww dowwwnnnn!"
"If I go any slower I'll fall!" Scio laughed as he shot over the flat roofs of the city "I'll steady out in a second."
"Could you steady out now?!"
"And....Yes!" Scio's body leveled out as his wings caught an easy current of air "we are steady now. You alright? You're not going to-"
"No. No I'm fine," Ryder gasped, locking his legs around Scio's neck "I haven't eaten lunch yet anyway."
"Oh, good," Scio laughed a bit "Mother would not be pleased if I returned smelling like...whatever you ate for breakfast."
"I didn't eat breakfast either."
"Dinner?"
"Gutruen soup."
"Yech," Scio made retching cough "What human's eat to surive disgust me."
"Yeah well," Ryder leaned forwards, wrapping his arms around Scio's neck "Dragons'll eat uncooked dead things."
"No drey's eat grass."
"Like horses?"
Scio shifted as he began to tilt downwards "Sort of...A lot more then horses though."
Rder redirected his gaze from the orange head down to the city sprawled out beneath him and lost whatever breath he had left.
The marketplace beneath them looked like a colorful maze of stalls, spice, and people.
"Wow."
"By the animal stalls, right?"
"Yeah..." Ryder replied, his eyes still fixed on the ground below. The whole scene was painted with the light of the lowering sun, turning it a dusty orange.
He turned his head to squint at the horizon, cut through by the taller buildings and lit up by the sunset. He wasn't late, yet.
His eyes were drawn to Scio's wings as they bent backwards, catching the rims of the sunlight and glowing an ambient orange.
As the dragon began to descend his whole body gleamed like a dying coal in the evening air.
Then they entered the shadow of the buildings and he went from a burning coal to a piece of burnished piece of metal that still burned in the dark.
"Thank you," Ryder gasped as Scio landed with a heavy thump.
"Of course, do you see your family?"
Ryder slid off the dragon's back "Um...yes! They're over there...Thank you."
"Of course," Scio tipped his head and spread his mouth in a wide grin "Well I have to go, perhaps I'll see you again?"
"Yeah maybe," Ryder glanced back to where he'd seen his family "I have to go!"
"So do I," Scio spread his wings out and sprung into the air as Ryder trotted towards his family.
The boy paused to watch the dragon rising up like a blazing spark into the sky, then disappear into the sunset, becoming a orange streak in the red clouds.
Last edited by TheSongOfTheStars on Sat Jan 06, 2018 11:02 am, edited 2 times in total.

TheSongOfTheStars

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

#3 Yellow

Postby TheSongOfTheStars » Thu May 14, 2015 4:36 pm

[center]Yellow
Last edited by TheSongOfTheStars on Thu Oct 13, 2016 11:56 pm, edited 4 times in total.

TheSongOfTheStars

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

# 4

Postby TheSongOfTheStars » Sat May 16, 2015 3:24 pm

green

TheSongOfTheStars

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby TheSongOfTheStars » Sat May 16, 2015 3:25 pm

Blue

Lily milled through the water, hoping the repeated movements would help her forget.
It was too awful, too loud, for even swimming to even make a difference.

This was war, and now she understood.

Really understood.

Not a battle, nor a skirmish between a band of Sykans and an otter tribe.
This was an entire continent with entire populations that could be wiped out with the sounding of a trumpet.
Massive beasts of power clashed in the skies while Elf, Man, and Animal folk struggled on the ground.

Overwhelmed by the dire thoughts, the otter girl dove beneath the lake, feeling the pressure slowly gain on her head and chest until it drove all activity in her mind save for the desire for air.

She pushed her supply while rooting around in the cloudy silt at the bottom, wondering idly if she could find some more of those little clams.

Something hard met her touch, but as she wiped away the silt to reveal the glistening blue, Lily knew it wasn't a clam.
As the massive tail began to writhe the otter thrashed in the water, trying to remember which way was up as currents of displaced water began to swirl madly.

Lungs just short of exploding she found the surface and began gasping, trying to reestablish a normal breathing pattern.

After sputtering and choking her way back to normal, Lily realized it had gone dark.

Swallowing down the last bit of water back down, she slowly tipped her head up and immediately sank a little lower in the water.

The graceful head of the Great Blue Dragon cast the deep shadow over the otter, but there was no sign of annoyance in the large eyes, just a tad of weariness.

Her lips curled back in a cavernous yawn, revealing a fierce row of long white teeth.
After blasting Lily with a seaweed scented breath, the dragon sank back in the water a little lower.

"Are you lost, Animalian?"

The soft rumbling voice scent ripples through the water, causing Lily to bob up and down while she shook her head.

The dragoness's eyes narrowed as she scrutinized the otter girl.
"Pardon me, as I know little about Animalians, but aren't you a bit young to be a warrior?"

A slightly guilty smile tugged at the edges of Lily's face "We-ell, I'm not really a warrior, I help with the food and stuff."

The dragoness let out a loud whiff of air "The scars on your face say otherwise."

Without half thinking about it, Lily ran a finger along her cheek, "Well, there is a war."

"One you have seen more than you should've?"

The otter girl cocked her head to one side "What's it to you?"

The dragoness laughed through her teeth "You're way too brave for someone so small."

"Your laugh is way too nice for someone so big."

For a few seconds, the huge creature seemed confused at the spitfire reply, then she laughed again.
"I suppose that was a compliment."
"It was the first thing that sprang to mind."
"You have a quick mind."
"I suppose that was a compliment."

The dragonesss shook her head in slow wonderment "If you fight as fast as you talk, you must be a fearsome warrior indeed."

"I thought you dragons had good memory. I said I'm not a warrior. I don't even have a sword."

"You should have one."
Lily shook her head with a snort of derision "My brother can hardly handle me having an itty bitty dagger, he wouldn't like me having a sword."

The dragoness let a soft clicking run through her throat "Pity."

Words: 607
Lily, Irael
Last edited by TheSongOfTheStars on Tue Oct 18, 2016 1:40 am, edited 8 times in total.

TheSongOfTheStars

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby TheSongOfTheStars » Sat May 16, 2015 3:25 pm

purple

TheSongOfTheStars

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby TheSongOfTheStars » Sat May 16, 2015 3:26 pm

pink

TheSongOfTheStars

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby TheSongOfTheStars » Sat May 16, 2015 3:32 pm

Crimson

TheSongOfTheStars

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby TheSongOfTheStars » Sat May 16, 2015 4:41 pm

Aqua

TheSongOfTheStars

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me