{ INKLINGS v.4 } A Thread For Writers

Are you a writer or a poet? Come and share your creations with us, or discuss writing techniques with others
Forum rules
Please only post your own original work, do not post poetry or stories which were written by someone else.

Re: { INKLINGS v.4 } A Thread For Writers

Postby frankie (dup) » Wed Nov 08, 2017 1:39 pm

Do you enjoy writing from prompts, or are you more of a freelancer?
I love prompts so much! I'm best with word or sentence prompts.

If a critique/help request pops up I'll do it but I can't see any recent ones so...

Does anyone have some pointers for songwriting? If it helps, I'm thinking of those songs that make you feel like you could take on seven armies at once. Upbeat and lively, but not necessarily feel-good, if you know what I mean? I really like singing and I've been thinking of writing my own songs for a while but I don't know where to start!
my dms are open,
but im a spoonie
and i may not
respond promptly.
it's not personal.
especially hmu if
you want to talk
about atla,
im autistic and its
been my special
interest for like.
a bajillion years.
➤ they/it lesbian
➤ canadian eh
➤ gay zuko
truther /lh
➤ please use
tonetags!
➤ feel free to ask for
my discord if we've
talked before
➤ help idk how to
make this pretty
frankie (dup)

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby leiawolfe » Wed Nov 08, 2017 7:29 pm

I'd say I'm defintely more of a freelancer -
Usually the only reason for me to write a story is when I get a good plot/idea, I don't just go like, "heyy, I'm bored maybe I should write a story.. what should I write it about?". The thougt just pops up at the most inappropriate times xD

I can still write with prompts if I have literally zero imagination at that time, but yeah, I'd definitely consider myself as more of a freelancer c:
leah
australia
she/her
talk to me about anything and everything, my dms are always open !! sig is a wip ^^
leiawolfe

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Ranger of the North » Thu Nov 09, 2017 2:38 pm

:.Duplex.: wrote:Does anyone have some pointers for songwriting? If it helps, I'm thinking of those songs that make you feel like you could take on seven armies at once. Upbeat and lively, but not necessarily feel-good, if you know what I mean? I really like singing and I've been thinking of writing my own songs for a while but I don't know where to start!
I have no idea... Maybe you could find as many songs as you can that induce that feeling, and see if they have anything in common? Pinpoint what it is, exactly, that makes you feel that way? I have no idea if it will work tbh. Good luck!
The world is quiet here.
Ranger of the North

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby byte » Thu Nov 09, 2017 3:44 pm

I enjoy writing both ways. You see, whenever I find myself trapped by a writing/creativity block, I tend to use more prompts. However, if everything is normal prefer to write whatever comes to my mind and make it blossom into a story.
Harlow | they/them
- artist + writer
byte

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby minimire » Sun Nov 12, 2017 2:40 am

both actually XD i love to find prompts for me to write when i'm losing inspiration or when i want to get my muse back. also, i really like searching for one word prompts as i will usually come up with quotes or sentences from them

also, i was wondering how you guys came up with names? be it for your character or a place. do you guys look for meanings behing those names? or just whatever sounds good?

minimire

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Pyjaks » Sun Nov 12, 2017 5:49 am

Oooo hello dorks, I haven't posted in a whiiiile :>

I really love prompts. I don't always follow them, but they almost always give me inspiration. I like very specific prompts.

@ wildlife- that's a good question because honestly I don't know 0.0 Sometimes I can just make a name up on the spot and it instantly sticks. Sometimes I have to scour baby naming websites to find something I really like. Other times I put random words through google translate and try to find something neat in another language. For me it really just varies. People who can consistently come up with good names are blessed
Pyjaks

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby TheSongOfTheStars » Sun Nov 12, 2017 6:07 am

@Wild... well, half the time I make up or think of the name as I create the character. Sometimes I think of the name first, but if I'm stuck, I'll either use fantasy name generator which has a huge base of names, or I look at my words and names board on pinterest.

If crediting me for art/character design then please use TheSongOfTheStars on Toyhou.se
or FiveSecondsToFly on deviantart for anywhere else
TheSongOfTheStars

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Ranger of the North » Sun Nov 12, 2017 12:33 pm

wildlife. wrote:
    also, i was wondering how you guys came up with names? be it for your character or a place. do you guys look for meanings behind those names? or just whatever sounds good?
Either-either! Sometimes a name pops into my head that just fits like a glove, and sometimes I search for aaaageeees until I finally find one close enough for me to make it work c:

I'm more of a freelancer, but lately I've kinda been teaching myself how to use prompts, since they're really useful!
The world is quiet here.
Ranger of the North

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby frankie (dup) » Sun Nov 12, 2017 4:04 pm

wildlife. wrote:

also, i was wondering how you guys came up with names? be it for your character or a place. do you guys look for meanings behind those names? or just whatever sounds good?

I use behind the name and just generate names until i find one I like xD
my dms are open,
but im a spoonie
and i may not
respond promptly.
it's not personal.
especially hmu if
you want to talk
about atla,
im autistic and its
been my special
interest for like.
a bajillion years.
➤ they/it lesbian
➤ canadian eh
➤ gay zuko
truther /lh
➤ please use
tonetags!
➤ feel free to ask for
my discord if we've
talked before
➤ help idk how to
make this pretty
frankie (dup)

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Captain Peregrin » Tue Nov 14, 2017 4:55 am

wildlife. wrote:

Usually I start out with a plot and come up with characters as needed, and I just naturally consider the meaning of a name when I'm working on that. Obviously I consider the sound of it, too, but at this point the meaning is more important (and having it suit the story in other aspects, like not using a pretty Japanese name for an American Midwestern millennial xD).
Captain Peregrin

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me