{ INKLINGS v.4 } A Thread For Writers

Are you a writer or a poet? Come and share your creations with us, or discuss writing techniques with others
Forum rules
Please only post your own original work, do not post poetry or stories which were written by someone else.

Re: { INKLINGS v.4 } A Thread For Writers

Postby ScarDolphin » Sat Jan 27, 2018 8:34 pm

Where is your favorite place to write (hunched over in bed, the library, public park, etc)? Why is it your favorite?
It kind of depends on the mood I'm in. Mostly I'll sit in my room; either in my bed or by my desk, but other times when I need something new I'll stay at school for a while after classes are done or go to the library.
─── Image ─────────────

I'm Scar // She/her // Cancer // GMT+1 //
─────────────────────────────────────
My interests: My horses // Utapri // Hypmic // Idolish7 // Genshin

───────────────────────────────────────────
⧽ --- ⧼ Trade Thread ⧽ --- ⧼

────────── Image ───
ScarDolphin

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Ranger of the North » Sun Jan 28, 2018 2:26 pm

Greenleaf wrote:I feel like I've been more motivated to write this past week than I have been this entire year. It's great, but unfortunately I have an exam in a few days so it's not the most convenient time, lol.
Ugh, well that's unfortunate :I

Greenleaf wrote:Speaking of which, I wrote a thing last night, if any of you are interested! Comments and critique are appreciated. As always, I'm also open to helping others with their writing if needed - just shoot me a pm. (:
I'll check it out soon! c:
The world is quiet here.
Ranger of the North

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby blackbird. » Tue Jan 30, 2018 10:15 pm

i think re-tellings are great! i like reading about characters in an alternate universe as fairytale characters or with a fairytale spin. ooh i really like gail carson levine's novels too! she's a great author when it comes to re-tellings.

Where is your favorite place to write (hunched over in bed, the library, public park, etc)? Why is it your favorite?
      i actually really like writing while i'm travelling, like when i'm on a bus or a train - not planes though; i hate flying. i think there's something special about looking out the window and watching the world pass by. makes it all the easier to brood, and i write best when i'm brooding. being surrounded by nature on a gloomy day is also another perfect setting to brood so i like going into parks and forests to write when i can.
blackbird.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby ahirked » Wed Jan 31, 2018 8:14 am

hiya! I am a British kid who's currently writing a story set in America, and I'm struggling a little to understand the educational system's subject quantity, I guess?

in short, the characters are in grade 11 (so they're 16-17 years old), and I am confused about how many subjects the students are required to take. as an example, being in my last year of 'high school', I am only taking three subjects, however I envision that it may work differently in the USA. so my question is - what is the minimum/maximum subjects required to be taken? how are essays/other work marked? are there any subjects students are obliged to take? what do they cover in each of these subjects?

I have done searches, but some of my questions I am still turning up fruitless. any help would be appreciated!

if this is the wrong place to ask, please say!
ahki - they/he - black trans lives matter - free palestine
art by -ewie- of my werm, Pip
ahirked

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Captain Peregrin » Wed Jan 31, 2018 11:49 am

will byers. wrote:
    hiya! I am a British kid who's currently writing a story set in America, and I'm struggling a little to understand the educational system's subject quantity, I guess?

in short, the characters are in grade 11 (so they're 16-17 years old), and I am confused about how many subjects the students are required to take. as an example, being in my last year of 'high school', I am only taking three subjects, however I envision that it may work differently in the USA. so my question is - what is the minimum/maximum subjects required to be taken? how are essays/other work marked? are there any subjects students are obliged to take? what do they cover in each of these subjects?

I have done searches, but some of my questions I am still turning up fruitless. any help would be appreciated!

if this is the wrong place to ask, please say!

In High School, there are anywhere from 5-8 different classes (depending on whether the school alternates their schedule on different days and such). English and math are always required, and you'll often have science and history/social studies, too. There's also one to three elective classes (again, depending on the number of classes). In 11th grade, some students might be taking AP classes. I can't say I'm fond of the model, but that's what we've got.
Captain Peregrin

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby watts » Wed Jan 31, 2018 11:58 am

^^ That's not always how it is!

Every state makes their own education laws, so it can vary by state! I have nine forty-five minute periods in my day. We have to take at least one music or art class, we have to take history and english. We need around 3 math and science credits each, so once we get the sufficient credits we no longer need to take math or science! We also have to take one foreign language and gym. Gym is usually every other day. All the other classes are every day. There is also a wide range of what we call electives, which are extra classes that we can take such as technology, photography, ceramics, and psychology, but there's a lot more!

rpnt watts ; polyfrag DID system

it/they

apex legends || icon (c) tinivy @ tumblr
watts

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Ranger of the North » Wed Jan 31, 2018 7:17 pm

This's put me in mind of a question:
Code: Select all
[b]When writing, do you prefer to represent and show off your country and culture, explore others’, or create your own?[/b]
(Sorry I can't help by the way, Will! I'm a homeschooled New Zealander, so that's no help! ;p )

Also! My competition's up and running again, but I forgot to say so earlier :p Click the picture below if you're interested c:
The world is quiet here.
Ranger of the North

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Captain Peregrin » Thu Feb 01, 2018 2:47 am

When writing, do you prefer to represent and show off your country and culture, explore others’, or create your own?

Honestly, I rarely explore ANY culture xD I shy away from worldbuilding in general (especially since I typically write short stories), preferring to explore the characters themselves. That said, I guess I draw from places and scenarios I'm familiar with, but in a manner that doesn't often pin it down to a specific time or place. I guess I use a lot of lakes, because Michigan xD
Captain Peregrin

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby ahirked » Thu Feb 01, 2018 4:16 am

@Captain Peregrin @naomi !
    thank you so much for your help! this is really invaluable even though I'm slowly realising that it's far more complex than I thought, haha :O

@Ranger of the North
    woaahhh that's so cool! it's pretty cool how every education system and even homeschooling has its differences <:

When writing, do you prefer to represent and show off your country and culture, explore others’, or create your own?
    I do a mixture of all three, but more so the latter two - creating worlds is very cool as you can set out your own variables for the world and everything. On the other hand, I enjoy exploring others' cultures and countries because I discover so much even though it takes ages to research and I always have plenty of questions.

I am quite petty in the sense that I have to have my story be 100% accurate to the society of the time - for example, another project I am working on is set in 1960s England, in Skegness (which was declared the "Worst Holiday Town" as of 2015 I think) - and let me tell you, finding out information on murder cases there and the laws of the time has been a pain in the backside for me. I think I usually turn out having learned more history than having written the story, whoops XD
ahki - they/he - black trans lives matter - free palestine
art by -ewie- of my werm, Pip
ahirked

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Greenleaf » Thu Feb 01, 2018 10:53 am

I'm a fan of worldbuilding so I always love developing and exploring any cultures I create. Sometimes in the stories I write, I'll have Chinese characters and stuff, but I'm super westernized lol so I never find myself really able to explore the Chinese language/history/culture without a lot of prior research. On the Canadian side of things, sometimes I'll set stories in Toronto or something, but I usually tend to default to nonspecific locations or places in America for some reason. As for other, real-life cultures, I haven't really explored any yet aside from my own country/heritage as I've said above, but when I do dabble in it I try to do as much research as possible beforehand to be as accurate and respectful as possible.

-------'-'------
Chinese ● queer
bi ace ● musician

------------''--
--------------------
#BlackLivesMatter
click here.

--------------------
-----'--'-------
Li 立 ● she/ze ●
student ● writer

-------'----'---