{ INKLINGS v.4 } A Thread For Writers

Are you a writer or a poet? Come and share your creations with us, or discuss writing techniques with others
Forum rules
Please only post your own original work, do not post poetry or stories which were written by someone else.

Re: { INKLINGS v.4 } A Thread For Writers

Postby Mercury.Muses » Fri Jan 23, 2015 1:28 pm

how do you write the death of a really good character?
It's all up of the character and how you see their views, what view the death is coming from, how the personalities are of everyone is around the person who is dieing. x'D Like a snowflake.

How do you make it dramatic?
By doing something that would be considered a grand act of honor/horror/tragic in whatever setting in the story. (Like if it was a human, saving someone, planecrash.) or something completely out of place for said character like the character is completely stable and a hero then they discover a villian who killed their little sibling or something and they seem to recover after crying or getting angry but decide to kill themselves or something after losing it really. (LOL)

Quick you have ten minutes to write the death scene of your favorite character Tris!

I'm eating dinner. Oh no it's too delicious! -will write afterwards.-
Signature under construction.

Hey! Will you help me decide on a new username? http://www.strawpoll.me/10382494/r Vote here!
Mercury.Muses

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby qwill. » Fri Jan 23, 2015 1:34 pm

Whenever I pen death scenes, I make them emotional, but not overly so. I want the reader to feel things that I don't have to put in writing. If I spend too much time spelling out what the reader should be feeling, they'll have no time or motivation to come up with their own interpretations.

I say that although adjectives are strong, verbs are stronger. You've all probably heard this: show, don't tell! Though monotonous, there is some truth of the matter. What this means is that the more action there is in a scene, the better it will flow. Show the readers how he caressed her limp head in his arms, how his tears flowed freely across his cheeks, carving patterns in the dust and grime of a fallen world. Don't tell them that he sobbed loudly; that's already been implied.

Quick, you have ten minutes to write the death scene of your favorite character!
    I'll write the death scene of a character I played around with for a while. His name's Nicholas Hall, and he's sort of an antihero. His death was supposed to be the climax of a novel I never finished.

Start: 5:20

Kate stared ahead, her eyes wide. Nicholas? The man was standing in the center of the room, his jaw set and his eyes focused on the shadow that took up the entirety of the hall. A rush of emotions flooded Kate's mind, momentarily distracting her from the pain she felt in her shoulder from her wounds. This was the person who had betrayed her, who had left her to die. So what's he doing here?

"No longer will I be you puppet. I will no longer be obedient!" His words echoed across the room. The shadow in front of Kate turned to face him, its eyes glowing maliciously.

"Go home, boy. Play with your snowflakes," it hissed, lunging forward. Kate wanted to scream a warning, but found that her mouth couldn't move. She was literally frozen with fear.

Nicholas swerved to the right, diving for the dagger on the floor in the corner. The shadow drew back, fear appearing for a second on its normally blank face. This was the true reaper of souls. Anything touched by that blade would be severed from physical existence. As Nicholas dove in for the kill, the shadow jumped to the side, but not before one of its tendrils caught the edge of the shining blade.

But the fight was not won. As the entity dissolved into nothing, the doors to the room burt open. Kate conjured her power over nature, free now that the shadow was gone, but it was too late. The arrow, so well aimed, had struck him right between his shoulder blades. With all her might, Kate blocked off the doors to the room with a wave of her arm. The spell to much of her energy, but it bought them time. Well, it bought her time.

"Nick, you can't. You have to stay here, with me." She slid onto the floor next to him, tears pooling in her verdant green eyes. Before, she had been confused on what to feel. Now she knew. She couldn't lose the man she had learned to love, even if he had made some poor decisions. Not before they lost their chance to be together.

A tear slid down his face, freezing against his cheek. "Take the dagger, run away. Be safe, Katriel Summers. I know you can." As he moved his hand up to brush her tears away, Kate began to cry harder. "Your warmth made me see...made me..." The flame that had kindled in his eyes and heart winked out, blown like a candle in the wind.

End: 5:30

I could have done more with this, but he did die in the end, so I guess it counts. c: comments, critique?
qwill.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby 0000007 » Fri Jan 23, 2015 2:21 pm

nah
Last edited by 0000007 on Sat Dec 24, 2016 11:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Roadhog » Fri Jan 23, 2015 2:41 pm

Hello, I need to re-introduce myself C; its been a while! I am saturn. Member of the last thread - I am a decent (in my opinion) try-to-be writer- I really love fantasy and personification stories, and I just made one, I would love if you guys would read it! It would make me feel better since I feel kinda down right now!
bloop
You need to look on my page if you don't know who Jason, or Bruno is,also a bit of critique would be nice!
not accepting pms right now unless I add you to my friends list.
finally quitting. I've told myself I'll quit soon, and I never did, but I finally feel like I should quit. Still keeping my characters/deviantart though. I've wanted to quit for a long long time, but I'm doing it.
Nobody on here talks with me , is friends, and I try to chat on the FR thread but nobody responds much.
Quitting CS and flightrising.

All my fr dragons/stuff went to one of my real life best friends, so don't ask for my FR stuff.
Roadhog

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Dylan Klebold » Fri Jan 23, 2015 3:09 pm

i'm a returning member!
Tadashi Hamada / Tadashi / / aw ye

--

i finished a cover for this story ;u;

thoughts on it?
Dylan Klebold

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Mercury.Muses » Fri Jan 23, 2015 3:28 pm

Watermelon has asked we stop posting our joining forms guys cx
Signature under construction.

Hey! Will you help me decide on a new username? http://www.strawpoll.me/10382494/r Vote here!
Mercury.Muses

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Dylan Klebold » Fri Jan 23, 2015 3:31 pm

whoops. didn't see that xD

--

i really wanna post a story here [on CS] but

i don't want anyone taking it for their own ;-;
Dylan Klebold

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby TheSongOfTheStars » Fri Jan 23, 2015 3:37 pm

I try to make it a dramatic and sudden as possible as well as using the emotions of the spectators
as above
Quick you have ten minutes to write the death scene of your favorite character Tris!

Nickia and Ryder circled the huge griffon at different angles, swords out stretched shields ready.
The griffon followed the movements indolently, as if to say, "I am not afraid of this challenge you pose."
Nickia struck first, her movements almost impossible to track, the griffon did not even realize she had charged until her star-steel sword connected with his flank.
Then the fight whirled onward, shields blocked tail-swipes, swords parried with claws.
For one foolishly hopeful moment, Ryder actually thought they could win, that they could defeat this dark beast.
But only for a moment; then Nickia stumbled, the griffon's claw came up, there was a terrible sound as the metal connected, first with metal, then with bone, then a crash as Nickia toppled.
Ryder froze, stunned, his eyes locked on the oh-so-still body of his friend.
The griffon turned to him an evil grin sspread across his face.
With one spring it covered the distance to Ryder and landed squarely on his chest "now you die!" Ryder felt an agonizing pain across his throat then his life-blood leaking out
(Ends here bc I have to go to bed)

If crediting me for art/character design then please use TheSongOfTheStars on Toyhou.se
or FiveSecondsToFly on deviantart for anywhere else
TheSongOfTheStars

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby iWonder » Fri Jan 23, 2015 3:40 pm

Tadashi Hamada wrote:whoops. didn't see that xD

--

i really wanna post a story here [on CS] but

i don't want anyone taking it for their own ;-;

Might I suggest taking a look at wattpad.com? Your works are protected by copyright. And I belive people can't copy and paste your stories once you post them.

I am now opening Commissions and Art-Trades for a limited time!
PM me on DA for more info and offers!
I do: Anthro, Human, Portraits, Character Design, Fan Art,
Animals, Ponies, Species Design*, Contest Art*
(for adoptions on CS)
-Cheers, Tenna M. N.

** PM Machenza on Deviant Art for more info.

+++I Accept CS$, Deviant Art Currency and Art-Trades.+++
iWonder

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Sleipnir » Fri Jan 23, 2015 3:43 pm

Ohhh, tomorrow morning I just have GOT to set aside ten minutes to write the death scene for one if my favorite darlings...

Which one though...
Sleipnir

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me