{ INKLINGS v.4 } A Thread For Writers

Are you a writer or a poet? Come and share your creations with us, or discuss writing techniques with others
Forum rules
Please only post your own original work, do not post poetry or stories which were written by someone else.

Re: { INKLINGS v.4 } A Thread For Writers

Postby Woogwoo Wren » Wed Sep 20, 2017 7:18 pm

How do you make time for writing when you're busy with other things?
I dON'T. Woot woot!
Honestly, I am really bad at putting time aside to write. When I'm not working or doing school I'm watching videos or writing fanfiction (which is better than nothing but isn't my project)
I would suggest - and I need to do this as well - making up a time table. Writing up when your commitments are and then adding an hour, half an hour - or even ten minutes - for writing in each day. And then the hard part - sticking to it. I need to listen to my own advice....
"An eye for an eye
Hello! I'm Wren! I'm in my mid-teens and live
in New Zealand. I enjoy writing, reading, watching videos,
cosplaying, and drawing occasionally! I'm a Christian,
and always up to meeting new friends!

~ P ~ M ~ A ~
| Stories| A03 | Wattpad |
| RWBY | Merlin | Doctor Who | HP |
| 🐦| 🐺 | 🔬 | 🦊 |
|

and the world goes blind."
Woogwoo Wren

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Ranger of the North » Wed Sep 20, 2017 8:32 pm

*seconds Wren* That's some pretty sound advice c: and even just having a vague mental list is better than no plan! Just make sure you keep room for free time in there as well; don't go frying your brain on us, Py XP
The world is quiet here.
Ranger of the North

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby TheSongOfTheStars » Thu Sep 21, 2017 1:16 am

Like Wren and Ranger I fail at setting time aside, especially since I have multiple writing projects that I want to work on, and none of them get done.

If crediting me for art/character design then please use TheSongOfTheStars on Toyhou.se
or FiveSecondsToFly on deviantart for anywhere else
TheSongOfTheStars

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Captain Peregrin » Thu Sep 21, 2017 1:32 am

I guess I'm probably in a different situation than most of y'all since I'm not doing any school right now (and only working part time), but one thing that helped me a lot was just setting a schedule for my output and sticking to it. Even if very few people are actually reading my blog on a weekly basis, I still feel obligated to have my posts done on time. Right now I'm several months ahead, but I'm also waiting for the next volume to come in on interlibrary loan, so...

On a different note, I got an email from that writing contest I entered last year saying that they're open for entries again, so I'm planning on writing another story for that! I'm thinking of doing some sort of modernized version of The Little Mermaid (because I hate Hans Christian Anderson and know I can do better xD).
Captain Peregrin

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Megaguirus » Thu Sep 21, 2017 2:20 am

No matter what I'm busy with, whether minor schoolwork or wishing I had a life, I always get on my computer three nights a week, during Mom's overnight shift. I devote one to one and a half hours of my three to four hours of computer time to writing. And even when I get a job and start college, I hope that I can continue with that same schedule.

@Captain Peregrin

*gasps sharply* You hate Hans Christian Andersen? Why? How? He's my all time favorite fairy tale writer, with The Snow Queen being my most favorite and The Little Mermaid being second. Don't get me started on Disney's wretched version. I'm saying this partly in jest, but as someone who does dearly loves his works, I do want to know why you don't like him.
Megaguirus gets distracted by a butterfly. So pretty.

"Go ahead reveal yourself,
As you were born to do,
Their fathers killed the prophets,
Hallelujah! They're going to kill us too."
Children 18:3 - Final

Female/Christian/Homeschooled/INFP/FNaF/Godzilla/Writer/Bugs/Cockroaches/Markiplier
"I'm wearing no disguise, a Jesus Freak 'til the day that I die. And I will not compromise, throw every stone but you can't take my life." 7eventh Time Down - Alive in You
Megaguirus

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Captain Peregrin » Thu Sep 21, 2017 2:47 am

Megaguirus wrote:
@Captain Peregrin

*gasps sharply* You hate Hans Christian Andersen? Why? How? He's my all time favorite fairy tale writer, with The Snow Queen being my most favorite and The Little Mermaid being second. Don't get me started on Disney's wretched version. I'm saying this partly in jest, but as someone who does dearly loves his works, I do want to know why you don't like him.

I guess "hate" might be a bit too strong. It's like, I appreciate the general quality of his writing (his "word pictures" are quite vivid), but he's just got Issues With Women that manifests itself in rather unfortunate ways in his stories. Basically, he's a talented writer who has inspired plenty of other great artists, but I take issue with a lot of the ideas he presents in those stories.
Captain Peregrin

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Megaguirus » Thu Sep 21, 2017 2:58 am

Captain Peregrin wrote:
Megaguirus wrote:
@Captain Peregrin

I guess "hate" might be a bit too strong. It's like, I appreciate the general quality of his writing (his "word pictures" are quite vivid), but he's just got Issues With Women that manifests itself in rather unfortunate ways in his stories. Basically, he's a talented writer who has inspired plenty of other great artists, but I take issue with a lot of the ideas he presents in those stories.

Ah, okay, that's understandable. Thanks for the answer. :)
Megaguirus gets distracted by a butterfly. So pretty.

"Go ahead reveal yourself,
As you were born to do,
Their fathers killed the prophets,
Hallelujah! They're going to kill us too."
Children 18:3 - Final

Female/Christian/Homeschooled/INFP/FNaF/Godzilla/Writer/Bugs/Cockroaches/Markiplier
"I'm wearing no disguise, a Jesus Freak 'til the day that I die. And I will not compromise, throw every stone but you can't take my life." 7eventh Time Down - Alive in You
Megaguirus

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby rose.bloom » Thu Sep 21, 2017 3:54 pm

Thanks everyone for the help on my sentence! What @soccerali9 said was what my teacher was getting at :) Oh the little nit-picky things are what make you a better author!
rose.bloom

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Pyjaks » Thu Sep 21, 2017 5:24 pm

I think I'll copy some of you guys and try to set times in advance where I can just,, sit down and write. We'll see how well that goes though, because I am not an organized person xP

Is anyone thinking about doing NaNo this yr?
Pyjaks

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Woogwoo Wren » Thu Sep 21, 2017 5:54 pm

Pyjaks wrote:I think I'll copy some of you guys and try to set times in advance where I can just,, sit down and write. We'll see how well that goes though, because I am not an organized person xP

Is anyone thinking about doing NaNo this yr?

I want to, I just don't know how possible it is since I have exams and a lot of school to catch up on...
"An eye for an eye
Hello! I'm Wren! I'm in my mid-teens and live
in New Zealand. I enjoy writing, reading, watching videos,
cosplaying, and drawing occasionally! I'm a Christian,
and always up to meeting new friends!

~ P ~ M ~ A ~
| Stories| A03 | Wattpad |
| RWBY | Merlin | Doctor Who | HP |
| 🐦| 🐺 | 🔬 | 🦊 |
|

and the world goes blind."
Woogwoo Wren