{ INKLINGS v.4 } A Thread For Writers

Are you a writer or a poet? Come and share your creations with us, or discuss writing techniques with others
Forum rules
Please only post your own original work, do not post poetry or stories which were written by someone else.

Re: { INKLINGS v.4 } A Thread For Writers

Postby Pyjaks » Mon May 22, 2017 10:47 am

The Worst Username wrote:
trash™ wrote:
    [size=80]I feel like my writing is gradually getting worse, and im getting insecure about it ...
    any advice ?

-Do you follow any blogs that have articles like "do this if you want to succeed", "writers who do this suck", or "how to write well"? If you're anything like me, then they're probably just putting a lot of pressure on you instead of helping; stop reading them.
    -Read terrible writing and, as Ranger said, your old stuff. Remember that even if you don't like your stuff, you aren't the worst writer in the world.
    -If you're thinking of posting stuff online in hopes of approval, don't. Someone will always criticize, and if you don't want criticism, then you shouldn't share your writing.
    -Don't ever read your writing after you've written it; never try to revise something you're only partway through. It'll only make you hate your writing more.
    -Just keep writing. You will get better.

This is all really good advice. I especially second "don't read your writing after you've written it". If you do, you'll drive yourself crazy with premature edits and second guessing yourself.
Ultimately I think all writers deal with insecurity in their work, it's just an unfortunate side effect of writing :/ You've just gotta push through it and learn how to handle that insecurity in a way that works for you.

Is it harder or easier for you to write when you're going through a hard time emotionally? Why?
Way easier. When life is rough and retreat and become immersed into my hobbies. Reading, video games, etc are all more enjoyable, including writing. It's just an outlet where I can express my emotions and hardships in a way that is completely my own, in any way or shape or form I want. Writing is like a coping mechanism for me when life really sucks lol

How have the themes and subject matter of your stories changed as you've grown older/more mature?
When I was younger I always wrote grand, massive adventures about saving the world and falling in love and whatnot. Nowadays I tend to focus on much more "human" themes, like friendships, internal and moral struggles, etc. I've also learned a lot about diversity and how important it is in writing.
[/size]
Pyjaks

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby The Worst Username » Mon May 22, 2017 11:56 am

How have the themes and subject matter of your stories changed as you've grown older/more mature?
    I used to write ridiculous stories with all-white Mary Sues going on grand adventures across fantasy worlds. While the grand adventure/fantasy part hasn't changed, my stories are a bit more diverse and my characters far more multi-faceted. I also try to deal with themes that I might be a bit young to write about (like misogyny, xenophobia, racism, homophobia, and emotional abuse), which most of the time turns out badly, but nowadays, I feel like I need a sort of "message" to drive my stories, while a year or two ago I never did.
yeet
The Worst Username

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Captain Peregrin » Mon May 22, 2017 12:04 pm

While I did try writing stories back in grade school, I was keenly aware of how derivative they were, and after an incident in middle school when I actually wrote down part of a story and showed it to my older sister only for her to laugh at it, I gave up writing altogether for a while. Because of that I don't really have much record of anything I wrote before I got my laptop at the end of high school, but I still have have vague memories of the sort of stories I came up with. Honestly, the stuff I came up with was pretty dark, and after high school it was pretty depressing, too. But in the past few years, when really started getting serious about writing, I've started doing more hopeful stories, partly because I like them better that way and partly because I've gotten a better appreciation for the art required to make them.
Captain Peregrin

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby NopesaurusRexx » Mon May 22, 2017 12:53 pm

Coco Bunny wrote:How do you do it? How do you write a story, stick with it, and know all about it? I'm having to write a story for English classes, but I can't think of anything. (If you want, I can PM you what I have so far if you're willing to help) I have an ending, I have the main characters, and that's it.

Feel free to send me what you have!

I try and put myself in the situations of the characters. As I go through the day I think "What would ... do if it was her in this situation?" with the situations just being everyday things. Since you have an ending, try working back from there. Where did your characters have to go to get to that point?

"You wanna make yourself useful?"
"Not particularly."

ALL PETS IN THE GROUPS MARKED TRADE GROUP ARE CURRENTLY FREE
NopesaurusRexx

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Ranger of the North » Mon May 22, 2017 3:02 pm

'ey, Mel's back! c:

Is it harder or easier for you to write when you're going through a hard time emotionally? Why?
Um. I don't know... I guess kinda harder? Because if I'm angry my characters get real agro as well XD But then again, I feel like the majority of my best work came from a hurting place inside... Yeah. I don't really know.

They've gone from mega-cringey, corny, and badly-written, to hopefully-not-cringey, not-as-corny, and better-written. XD

Coco Bunny wrote:How do you do it? How do you write a story, stick with it, and know all about it? I'm having to write a story for English classes, but I can't think of anything. (If you want, I can PM you what I have so far if you're willing to help) I have an ending, I have the main characters, and that's it.
I have fun, I don't, and I think that that's actually impossible, to be honest. Like, you've just created an entire world, you can't know everything about it! c:
The world is quiet here.
Ranger of the North

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby TheSongOfTheStars » Mon May 22, 2017 3:21 pm

"agro" characters are the worst.

If crediting me for art/character design then please use TheSongOfTheStars on Toyhou.se
or FiveSecondsToFly on deviantart for anywhere else
TheSongOfTheStars

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Ranger of the North » Mon May 22, 2017 3:49 pm

TheSongOfTheStars wrote:"agro" characters are the worst.
Yeah, they're so... so... agro!
But — *pats charries sympathetically*
The world is quiet here.
Ranger of the North

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby TheSongOfTheStars » Mon May 22, 2017 3:53 pm

Who is your agroest character?

If crediting me for art/character design then please use TheSongOfTheStars on Toyhou.se
or FiveSecondsToFly on deviantart for anywhere else
TheSongOfTheStars

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Ranger of the North » Tue May 30, 2017 6:40 pm

TheSongOfTheStars wrote:Who is your agroest character?
My most agro character has to be... um... I think it's Jareck from League of Improbable Riders, actually o_o
He's stressed, okay?!

Pff. I was so little when I wrote that X'D
The world is quiet here.
Ranger of the North

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me