Deerssert #166; Winner: Vulpining by Guest

Based on Click to view
Artist Guest [gallery]
Time spent 42 minutes
Drawing sessions 1
15 people like this Log in to vote for this drawing

Deerssert #166; Winner: Vulpining

Postby Guest » Fri Mar 21, 2014 12:20 pm

I went to the zoo yesterday, and got to see one of my favourite birds up close! The victoria crowned pigeon! I also got to see some cool bats, but I've done that before, so I thought I'd do a bird instead!

Check out how these birds sound!

This deerssert's wings are too small to carry it more than short distances, so keep that in mind!

To win, fill out the following form:
Code: Select all
Username:
Name:
Your favourite bird + a bit about it:

Ends March 24th.
Last edited by Guest on Wed Mar 26, 2014 5:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

Re: Deerssert #166

Postby stoatkiss » Fri Mar 21, 2014 12:28 pm

Username: tiedye7
Name: Satin
Personality: WIP
Meet the Satin Bowerbird.
WIP
stoatkiss

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby kibbleeCat » Fri Mar 21, 2014 12:33 pm

Username:
Name:

reserve!
kibbleeCat

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby gap » Fri Mar 21, 2014 1:08 pm

possible reserve u v u
gap

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby laf » Fri Mar 21, 2014 1:42 pm

Username:
Name:
who is the best? c'est moi.
laf

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Manakete » Fri Mar 21, 2014 1:52 pm

Username:
Manakete

Name:
L'Arachel

Personality:
L'Arachel is constantly skittish, nervous around friends and strangers alike. Everybody thinks the behavior is cute, so it works out all right for everyone. L'Arachel doesn't have anxiety, she's just always been nervous. In public, she's quiet, stutters occasionally, and blushes quite often. In private, she's comfortable and appears to be like every other deerssert. When she's upset, she's still quite quiet, but she can at least work up the nerve to tell someone off.
One of L'Arachel's favorite activities is, unsurprisingly, singing. Due to her shyness she only practices in private. Her voice is stunning, which causes her friends to attempt to spy on her. When she catches the spy, which is more often than not, she squeaks in fear and flees the scene, blushing deep crimson.

My favorite bird is the King of Saxony Bird-of-paradise. The KoS is endemic to, or only found in, New Guinea's montane forests. As you can see, the males have two big gorgeous feathers resembling horns coming out of their heads. Males are black and yellow in color and females are grayish brown. The birds mainly eat fruits/berries and insects. Thankfully, the bird is classified as Least Concern on the conservation status list, meaning it is not endangered or threatened.

King of Saxony's call: x

Image credit to: Tim Laman and National Geographic
Last edited by Manakete on Sun Mar 23, 2014 7:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Sing with me a song of birthrights and love
The light scatters to the sky above..."

5/17/15 - He told me he loves me. I love him, too.
He's the Ruby to my Sapphire and the only thing I want.
ImageImage
League of Legends - Exalt of Ylisse
Flight Rising - Manakete (#2599)
Tumblr - brute-tigrex

"Dawn breaks through the moon, white as a bone
Lost in thoughts, all alone."
Manakete

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby rem sleep » Fri Mar 21, 2014 2:36 pm

Username: Trollish
Name: Victoria
Personality:

Res <3
♥ ♥ ♥
rem sleep - they / them
nocturnal artist, socially awkward
♥ ♥ ♥
umasstorkies
closed species bank
♥ ♥ ♥

rem sleep

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby rainboxys » Fri Mar 21, 2014 2:38 pm

Who am I?
Heya, my username is Vulpining!
Most tend to call me Vulp or some
variant upon the word Vulpine.
I'm really not picky.
What is this Deersert called?
This wonderful little boy is called
Elias (E - lyas) Quincy, although he really
prefers to be called Eli. Just Eli.

Personality:

Courteous

Eli, when exploring outside his mansion is careful not to offend anyone and he adheres to a set of manners that his parents taught him. This doesn't mean, though, that he won't flare up when provoked.

Courageous

Eli will protect his family and friends until his dying breath. He would do anything for them without thinking twice about his own safety, that is, within reason. Eli has frequently put himself in danger for his friends, and he is a relentless fighter.

Gentle

Eli tends to avoid conflict at all costs. He tends to his own garden outside the back of his mansion, andkeeps several delicate species inside his greenhouse. He makes sure to keep the bird feeders well stocked and the wildlife content. He regards all of them as his personal friends and they occasionally will provide him with company while he sleeps in the gazebo.
    Honorable

Eli is an honorable Deersert. He always goes about things honestly and he makes sure he does them the right and trustworthy way, or else he won't do them at all. In the event of a conflict, a physical fight is the last resort for him. When in a romantic relationship, he takes it very seriously and cheating on him risks consequences for that partner.

He's a gentleman, all in all, but a romantic at heart. Don't take it too seriously if he flirts with you! It's just his way of introducing himself and he thinks of it as a way to break the ice.

Kind

Eli is polite and he loves all manner of creatures. He is nearly always seen with a smile of his face and he is recognized throughout the kingdom for his acts of kindness. He has been seen giving money or food to one organization or another, or even individuals.

Knowledged

Eli is an all-around smart deersert. Through his intensive studies and schooling from his parents, both professors and inventors, he's specialized in geography and history, among other things like the sciences. Outside of school, he is well known and knowing amongst the community, as a member of the cultured elite. He has many friends, although he prefers the company of his Eastern Bluebird, Chopin.

Self-confident, but not arrogant

Eli acts like a prince, at least in most respects. He doesn't feel entitled to his parent's wealth and actually prefers to live a simpler lifestyle than the posh lifestyle his parents lived. He's not arrogant or narcissistic, although he likes to dress in somewhat fancy clothing, primarily because it reminds him of home and secondly, because it gives him self-confidence. His wings are too small for him to be able to fly for long and this embarrasses him more than he'd like to admit.

The Greater Flamingo
Scientific Name: Phoenicopterus ruber

Although there are many species
of flamingo, each one can be identified by its
unique physical characteristics.

For the Greater Flamingo, these
characteristics are specific to their plumage
(feathers) and their legs, or more specifically,
their joints. As the flamingo develops,
their feathers develop into a pale pink
and the coverts (top inside and outside feathers)
of their wings are red and their secondary
and primary feathers are black.
Their legs are a solid pink or red
and can range anywhere from light pink
to an almost orange-red. Most flamingos sound
roughly like geese.

This flamingo eats mostly algae
and plankton, using its upside-down bill that is
well adapted to filtering through the murky water
of its habitat. Its bill has a black tip.

When breeding, it's all about
teamwork as both the male and
female build a pillar-shaped mound of mud
in which the egg will be laid.

This particular flamingo's conservation
status is Least Concern, which means
that they are far from being extinct.

Why the Greater Flamingo?

When I was a little girl, at about the age of 3, I used to go to zoos for my main form of recreation.
I had been diagnosed with a rare tumor disorder, which was self-resolving and eventually left me relatively unscathed, although the spinal deformity it left me with was eventually corrected with via surgery. During this, my mother was with me for most of time until she got a steady job.

There were some exhibits I had to see every single time we went, the Spider Monkeys, the Tiger and the Greater Flamingo (or the Flamingo exhibit, I can only assume that's what particular species they were/are).

I wanted so badly, then, to become an animal of some sort (don't we all as children?), and I had chosen the flamingo.

I would try my hardest to crook my leg like the sleeping flamingos and tuck my head into my body. I'm not sure what I enjoyed about it more; the affectionate happiness it gave to my mother or the fact that I could pretend to be a flamingo, if even for a short while.

I've always appreciated their colors and their desire for community, firstly as a watercolor painter, and secondly as a person who will eventually go into the animal sciences. Flamingos are definitely my favorite kind of bird.

Thanks for reading and for any consideration given towards my form. All art belongs to and was created by me, animal references taken from [ARKIVE].
Last edited by rainboxys on Sun Mar 23, 2014 1:16 pm, edited 12 times in total.
bats // it/its // adult

my personal characters
are not up for sale or trade.

find me elsewhere @ rainboxys
discord: somnacanth
commission TOS

rainboxys

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby booklover789 » Fri Mar 21, 2014 7:00 pm

Username:
booklover789

Name:
Aoki Bazyli
(Aoki means "Blue Tree" in Japanese, and Bazyli means "King" in Polish.)

Personality:
Aoki just can't sit still. He's always moving, rarely slowing down. He loves sports, and often does well at them, due to his ability to fly short distances. He's always practicing his flying, trying to get better. He's very active - he loves to dance, run, and hike. When he's got time, he spends it sitting by the shore of a pond, calming his ever-moving lifestyle for a few moments before setting out at high speed once again. Due to his adventurous nature, Aoki doesn't do well in school - most claim he has ADHD, but he just honestly can't stand sitting still. No one's taught him that it's proper to sit still in school and not mess around, so he gets in trouble sometimes for acting out in class. He doesn't like school, and since graduating high school, hasn't pursued a career which needed further schooling (trade school, community college, college, etc.) Instead, he's put all his time and energy into running track. He hopes one day to make it to the Olympics.

Your favourite bird and a bit about it:
Hummingbirds are my favorite type of bird. I personally love all the species of these beautiful, tiny birds - but the most popular species are usually very bright and colorful, like the Ruby-Throated Hummingbird, Fiery-Throated Hummingbird, or the Velvet-Purple Coronet Hummingbird. Other popular species are the more exotic-looking ones, like the Violet Sabrewing Hummingbird, Empress Brilliant Hummingbird, Fawn-Breasted Brilliant Hummingbird, and Violet-tailed Sylph Hummingbird.
While these beauties are certainly more popular than your average hummingbird, I have a special feeling for the more natural ones. Let me explain why.
Outside my family's house there is a wind-chime. It hangs on the front porch. The design of the wind-chime is almost Aztec-styled; it resembles small bells made of pottery. The final, lowest piece in the wind-chime is a bird made of pottery. Last year, a hummingbird came and made her nest on that final, lowest piece of the wind-chime. The nest was tiny - the eggs even tinier. They were smaller than jelly beans, though they did resemble them - they were pale pink in color, with very slight speckles of darker pink; as the eggs got older, they got whiter. One egg didn't make it. The mother bird actually pushed it out of the nest. We found the shells on the ground a couple days afterward. The other egg made it. She nursed the baby while my family watched, helping it grow and learn to fly. Seeing the baby's wings flutter, hearing the faint, barely discernible call of the mother...and eventually seeing the baby and the mother fly together was such a magical and beautiful sight.
This year, she laid two more eggs in the same spot. What's shocking about this is we recently had our house painted. We thought the paint smell would drive the birds away, but, to my pleasure, it didn't. What's even more shocking was that, because we had our house painted, we had to take the wind-chimes down and store them elsewhere, meaning that the wind-chimes had human scent on them. Most birds won't touch a nest after a human's scent has gotten on it, so the fact that the hummingbird came back is truly astonishing.
Anyways, the hummingbird that has the nest is a breed I can't discern. She seems to be a mixture between two lovely breeds: a Black-Chinned Hummingbird and a Calliope Hummingbird. She is such a strong, persevering little creature, and I admire her ingenuity for building a nest atop one of the most unsteady places ever: a wind-chime.

I look forward to seeing her baby hatch - and perhaps her second egg will survive this year, though research has proven that most hummingbirds who lay two eggs only have one surviving offspring per nesting.
I’m dealing with extensive medical issues and some medical testing to try to figure out said issues. If I am scarce on here, that's why.

♪♫ Try to lock me in this cage. I won't just lay me down and die. I will take these broken wings, and watch me burn across the sky! ♫♪

Please send me a PM if you add me in PokemonGo!

Arovague Greyaromantic Androromantic
Requisexual Greysexual Demi-Androsexual Acespike Aceflux
Non-binary Agenderflux Fluidflux Versandrogyne

ImageImageImageImage
Image Image Image Image Image

booklover789

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Audria » Sun Mar 23, 2014 1:37 am

username;;
    Hey there, I'm Santa Claws!
    It's quite a pleasure to meet you.
    I'd like to hopefully call this Deerssert my own <3

name;;
    If I won him, his name would be Kweli, Swahili for 'sincere'.
    I see this Deerssert as a charming, charismatic 'lil guy, so, I thought, hey, why not make him sincere and charming? <3
    That's where the name came from <3

gender;;
    I only see this lad as a male, not a female, so a male he would be uwu
Personality:

your favorite bird and a wee bit about it;;
blue jay

res
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxline
line
line

xxxxxxxxxxA U D R I A
xxxxShe/her • Adult • THFR