33 people like this Log in to vote for this drawing

Seafarer's Rune

Postby Silverhart » Sun Nov 25, 2012 5:36 pm

Kedge Halyard "Hal" Fitzroy

Owner: Silverhart
Breedable: Yes!
Type: Seafarer's Rune

"The Gales of November"

"It was a gorgeous day when we set out, the sun all golden and the sky as clear as a bell. There was a skip in my step as I walked down the dock, for I had been selected as one of the privileged to try and discover a new Rune! I had a bundle of papers stuffed under my arm, and my Rune dragon Mariana padded beside me. Eidolon sat on my shoulder and grumbled about how the weather was too nice. The rest of my flock had to be left at home, Ceallach being somewhat wary of sea travel, and that the salty air would ruin his books, and Lóegaire being much too large to fit in my grandfather's boat.

The three of us piled into the little schooner, and I laid out my papers for all to see. "This is the Rune we're looking for! A rare type of sea monster Rune. It lives deep under the ocean, but I doubt we'll have any problem with Mariana to help us find it." My Deep Sea Rune puffed out her chest a bit at this. I had heard rumors of this mythical Rune and was eager to catch it, so we threw off our lines and started off.

Perhaps I was too eager, and should've taken a moment to look up at the clouds blown to mare's tails, or check the storm glass, for we soon found our ourselves sailing into a storm of historic proportions.

It was as if a curtain had been drawn over the sun, turning day into night. The waves reared up like giant horses over our heads, dove under our little ship, then came up from beneath us and bucked us off their backs. The howling winds tore all but the foresail off, as we clung to each other and waited out nature's fury. In the midst of this storm a gust of wind blew a soggy brown thing into our boat, and it hopped right up and I saw that it was a Rune! I quickly snatched it up fearing it might be hurt, and saw that it was one of the Runes I often saw hanging around the docks. It's vellum-like wings were a little scratched up, but otherwise the Rune seemed alright. It seemed to sense we were in trouble, and by it's actions I guessed it wanted us to follow it. Bravely, I stood up and shouted for Mariana and Eidolon to hold on tight. The little Rune hopped onto the bowsprit, managing to balance in the driving rain, and pointed it's nose up at the wind. I watched as the Rune turned to face starboard, and I pulled the ship over to the right. Then to port, then straight, then port again. All through the driving wind and howling rain the four of us toiled trying to keep the little ship afloat. Finally we sighted land! We quickly ducked into the safe harbor and waited out the rest of the storm. I have no doubt that this little Rune saved our lives!

It seems this little Rune was blown way off course from it's old home, and he's decided he'd like to stay with me and my Runes."

The Seafarer's Rune is a staple of any sailing vessel. They are highly prized by seamen for their many talents, and the docks are generally swarmed by these hardy little fellows. They are regarded as very lucky, and a ship should never be without at least one, or else be doomed to misfortune. Seafarer Runes are also used for navigation, since they will always seem to know where land is, like gulls, and should a mariner ever find themselves in trouble, they need only to follow them to safety. These Runes are tough, hardy creatures, being about the size of a small cat. With their large vellum-like wings, these Runes can fly even when drenched; however the rest of their soft feathers aren't nearly as water proof, so they like to dry off in the sun after a dive. They are a fairly domesticated breed, but be warned, they are known to have a wild steak. These Runes are difficult dragons to train, being generally very stubborn, but once trained these Runes are invaluable as fishers and rat catchers, and many a sailor lost at sea owes their life to a trained little Seafarer's Rune. This Rune is a loyal and steadfast companion who's always ready for a new adventure - so long as you don't mind the smell of tar and brine!

I'm sorry everyone, I was going to put him up for adoption, but he just totally pirated my poor heart. I'm evil, I know. XP Again thank you so much for this opportunity Bena! I had so much fun making him, and I just know he's going to fit right in with my flock.
Last edited by Silverhart on Sun Nov 25, 2012 8:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Silverhart

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Re: Seafarer's Rune

Postby Ashenjay » Sun Nov 25, 2012 5:40 pm

Oh *U*
This is just awesome!
I love the little details on its rune, and the wings, and the coloration! <3
Beautiful ;w;
MIGHT be trying out if you decide to put him up for adoption~ <3

~*~
My name is Jack Frost.

I love being on my own.

No rules.
No responsibility.
It's as good as it sounds.
~*~

Ashenjay

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby breadstick » Sun Nov 25, 2012 7:28 pm

This one's just a beauty <'3

Image Image
★— [ zac | he/him | adult | unfortunate capitalism participant | anime & oc enthusiast | 03/07/17 ♥ ] —★
breadstick

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Ashenjay » Sun Nov 25, 2012 8:44 pm

Don't feel sorry about keeping him!
Hal is a handsome dragon, and the story is really fun to read :3~!
Congratulations and have a good time with Hal! <3

//will you be interested if Nadja wants to breed..?

~*~
My name is Jack Frost.

I love being on my own.

No rules.
No responsibility.
It's as good as it sounds.
~*~

Ashenjay

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby mulder » Mon Nov 26, 2012 3:05 am

Wow.
This is amazing, he's just gorgeous! Seafarer, how creative! I've always had a closet affection for stuff like that, heh.
It seems that Laima doesn't hate this one,hmm..
i'm not active here anymore
and no i'm not giving away any of my characters, don't ask
mulder

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Jendalie » Mon Nov 26, 2012 4:14 am