Forum rules
Reminder: Copying another person's art without permission to reproduce their work is a form of art-theft!
Click here to see the full Art Rules!

Northern Sky Striders by Merlin's Heir

Based on Click to view
Artist Merlin's Heir [gallery]
Time spent 1 hour, 12 minutes
Drawing sessions 9
6 people like this Log in to vote for this drawing

Versions of this drawing that people have created recently

Northern Sky Striders

Postby Merlin's Heir » Mon Sep 21, 2015 4:17 pm

Image -- Image -- Image

___The Northern Sky Striders, often simply called “Striders” or “Sky Striders,” are a most unusual equine species found in uninhabited northern regions of Alaska and Canada, in the mountains and plains. According to legend, they “came striding down from the heavens like falling stars,” leading some people to believe they are, in fact, alien, and came from outer space. However, this theory has neither been proven nor disproven.

___Despite their numerous shared characteristics with the horse, Sky Striders are not of the same species as that well-beloved animal. However, they look so much like them that they are frequently referred to as horses, and many horse-lovers view them as such. But no matter how much people may believe that they are horses, they are not. They are vastly different in many ways, and they cannot be bred to horses.

- Respect the staff and the community
- Do not steal, copy, or claim this species as your own
- Do not create your own Sky Strider
- Do not steal someone else’s Sky Strider
- You must have been on CS for 6 months and have 100 posts in the forums to adopt
- Owned Sky Striders have no background; unadopted ones have the forest background
- You can only adopt one Sky Strider per day (for now)
- There is no limit to how many Sky Striders you can own
- You cannot “sell” or “give away” any of your Sky Striders
- I reserve the right to refuse service to anyone or confiscate Sky Striders if I see reason to
- Sky Striders have 10 breeding slots, and cannot have twins
- Stallions can breed twice a month, and mares only once a month
- Do not depict Sky Striders as any species other than their own (human/anthro/ladybug/etc.)
- Do not take your Sky Striders offsite (unless it’s just a site where you store your characters)
- If you are banned, you can no longer adopt and your Sky Striders will be readopted

Merlin's Heir
Owner, artist
HappySpider
Creator, artist

ImageImageImage Image

Code: Select all
[url=http://www.chickensmoothie.com/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=52&t=2799242][IMG]http://i58.tinypic.com/16j0hw9.png[/IMG][/url]
Last edited by Merlin's Heir on Sun Nov 08, 2015 2:15 pm, edited 9 times in total.
Merlin's Heir

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Species Info

Postby Merlin's Heir » Mon Sep 21, 2015 4:18 pm

___The Northern Sky Striders, often simply called “Striders” or “Sky Striders,” are a most unusual equine species found in uninhabited northern regions of Alaska and Canada, in the mountains and plains. According to legend, they “came striding down from the heavens like falling stars,” leading some people to believe they are, in fact, alien, and came from outer space. However, this theory has neither been proven nor disproven.

___Despite their numerous shared characteristics with the horse, Sky Striders are not of the same species as that well-beloved animal. However, they look so much like them that they are frequently referred to as horses, and many horse-lovers view them as such. But no matter how much people may believe that they are horses, they are not. They are vastly different in many ways, and they cannot be bred to horses.

___Sky Striders do indeed look almost alien in appearance. They have the overall appearance of the horse, but differ in several ways. Sky Striders have an extra smaller pair of eyes and ears, believed to be compensation for their poor sense of smell. They also have a small horn on the forehead, and cloven hooves. They have three thin, diamond-shaped appendages on the ends of two long, cord-like growths that sprout from the dock in the midst of the tail. These have a faint glow, more easily visible in the dark, and they are often used to lull predators into an almost hypnotized state so that the Sky Striders can flee to safety. They are called "hypno-diamonds," or sometimes just "diamonds." Sky Striders' manes are naturally short, and no cases of longer manes have been documented.

___Sky Striders can vary in height, some being as tall as 17hh, and others as short as 13hh. Interestingly, it has been found that Sky Striders with a chestnut base (ee) are shorter than those with a heterozygous black base (Ee), and those are shorter than the ones with a homozygous black base (EE).

___Sky Striders grow more slowly but are a good deal longer-lived than horses. They do not reach full maturity until they are 8 years of age, and they are not considered “old” until they are around 50 years old. The average death age is 60-65, but cases have been documented of Sky Striders living up to 80 years of age.

___In color, Sky Striders once again resemble the horse. In fact, their color genetics are almost exactly identical. Breeders are always on the lookout for something “different” to show up, waiting for some undiscovered recessive genes to show themselves, but as of yet, their efforts have not turned up any satisfactory results. Nevertheless, they continue to search. Who knows? Perhaps they will find something one of these days.

___Solid colored Sky Striders are very common, tobianos/roans/splashes are common, overos/sabinos/rabicanos are uncommon, and appaloosas are very uncommon. Chimeric Sky Striders are quite rare, though it is more common than it is in horses. This is because Sky Strider mares are capable of conceiving twins, but they cannot withstand the stress of carrying and giving birth to both of them, so every time a mare conceives twins, the twins are naturally merged to prevent the mare’s death. Brindling, which is slightly different in Sky Striders than in other species, is only slightly more common than chimerism (which is approx. 1 out of 100).

___Agouti (bay/brown), dun, and single cream dilutions are the most commonly found dilutions in Sky Striders. Champagne, pearl, and gray are next. Least common are double cream dilutions. Flaxen and silver are fairly common. White is uncommon. Unlike they are for horses, the overo and white genes are not lethal when homozygous. However, Sky Striders that are homozygous for either will be smaller, weaker, and have a shorter life span than other Sky Striders, and they are often sterile. Sky Striders that are homozygous for both genes (which is incredibly rare) are even frailer, smaller, and shorter-lived, are always sterile, and often have other disabilities or defects (blindness, deafness, etc.).

___Due to their similarity to the horse, the terminology associated with horses is also used with Sky Striders. Male Sky Striders are stallions, females are mares, young ones are foals, and so on and so forth. What anatomy points they have in common with the horse, they have also taken on the names of - the hocks, stifle, withers, dock, etc. They are also measured in the same manner as horses, in 4-inch "hands" up to the withers.

___Because of their long name, Northern Sky Striders have been given quite a few nicknames. Two of the more commonly used ones are "Sky Striders" and "Striders." People often use their initials, "NSS," in writing, and occasionally even aloud. Some use the first part of their name as a base for a nickname, calling them "Northies." Those who believe they are from outer space have given them a number of different names, "Star Striders" and "Martian Horses" among them. One journalist, in a piece he wrote after watching a race between a Thoroughbred and a Sky Strider, jokingly referred to this new species as "Thoroughbred 2.0."

___Naturally, people have been testing the Sky Striders’ aptitude for various equestrian sports, both Western and English. However, they have not had much success. Sky Striders show little to no capacity for these fields, except for one: racing. Sky Striders have been found to possess extraordinary speed and endurance, even easily outracing some of the greatest of racing Thoroughbreds.

___This has prompted the establishment of a racing association specifically for Sky Striders: the NSSRA (Northern Sky Strider Racing Association). Sky Striders are raced over longer distances than the typical horse race, as they have greater endurance as well as speed. The distance of the races can be anywhere from 2 to 4 1/2 miles, though there are some other races that go even longer than that.
Last edited by Merlin's Heir on Mon Oct 05, 2015 5:17 pm, edited 8 times in total.
Merlin's Heir

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Northern Sky Striders

Reserved
Merlin's Heir

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Northern Sky Striders

Reserved
Merlin's Heir

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Northern Sky Striders

Reserved

Open for posting!
Merlin's Heir

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Re: Northern Sky Striders

Postby ellyenchanted » Tue Sep 22, 2015 12:55 am

Marking!
ellyenchanted

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Boomerandhades » Wed Sep 23, 2015 7:25 am

Mark
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Wild Imagination Stables
Roleplay! ĆwĆ Tolters
Khims NSW WIK royal adopts
credit
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Boomerandhades

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Merlin's Heir » Thu Sep 24, 2015 6:18 am

Artist comp is up.

Also, I should be able to get a few Striders up for adoption later. I'll probably do something extra-special for our first release, so keep an eye out for that. ;)
Merlin -- Adult Female -- Byzantine Catholic -- Engaged <3 -- Reader, Writer, Artist, Math Lover -- College Class of 2021 -- Tolkien
Adopted Characters wrote:ImageImageImageImageImage
New Camelot -- The Book of Equids -- Dark Frigate -- Sunrose Stables -- Aicale Castle
ImageImageImageImage
Edge of Eternity -- Mythos Stables -- Sky Afire -- Wind River Ranch
Merlin's Heir

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby deertush » Thu Sep 24, 2015 7:13 am

Marking! I'm excited to get into these pretties!

Howdy!
I'm deer and I enjoy
natural history, taxidermy, dog training
animal crossing, homesteading, and art
DeviantArt - Lioden - Wolvden - Twitter

ImageImage
deertush

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes