Snakes

Share your real pet photos and stories, tell us about your fav species, promote wildlife causes, or discuss animal welfare

Re: Snakes

Postby Lady Masquerade » Wed Jul 06, 2011 5:24 am

Zozane wrote:
User: Zozane.
Why you want to join: I love Snakes, obviously. With their flickering ton gues, soft scales, tiny huggable heads... <3 I wish to be a bredder one day, and spread the love of snakes all over the world!
Do you have a snake: I used to have a snake with I was 9. One of my mom's boyfriends got me her. She got loose and...slithered away. xD
Password:
Silver.

Accepted! Thanks for joining!
hello!! i am retired, but feel free to message me if you ever need some help <3
Helpful links for New Members!
Adopt a Newbie - Newbie Guide & Index - Help Tickets - GHAA: Free Pets for Newbies
Lady Masquerade

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby andromeda;; » Wed Jul 06, 2011 10:04 am

A question for those of you who have snakes -- what procedure do you go through for feeding? I've been trying to figure this out for AGES, since I'm hoping to get a snake, but I've not found a lot of info. :/ I'm really more interested in the feeder tub topic -- do you leave the snake there for the amount of time that you have to wait to make sure they don't regurgitate, or do you remove them right away and put them back in their enclosure?
ImageImageImageImage

ImageImageImageImageImage
andromeda;;

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby The Placebo » Wed Jul 06, 2011 11:12 am

-Andromeda- wrote:A question for those of you who have snakes -- what procedure do you go through for feeding? I've been trying to figure this out for AGES, since I'm hoping to get a snake, but I've not found a lot of info. :/ I'm really more interested in the feeder tub topic -- do you leave the snake there for the amount of time that you have to wait to make sure they don't regurgitate, or do you remove them right away and put them back in their enclosure?

For a feeding tub, it really depends on the snake. If the snake has been known to regurge, I wouldn't even use a tub. But for others, I usually just wait until they have the food fully down before putting them back in the tank. Those few seconds of moving it won't make it regurge.

I welcome all trades.

I am an avid gift bomber!
People gifted: 457
The Placebo

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby andromeda;; » Wed Jul 06, 2011 11:19 am

Okay; thanks so much. :) I was just curious because of all the sources I saw that said not to handle snakes after feeding, but then I see others that say you should use a feeding tub so they won't mistakingly strike when you put your hand in their regular enclosure.
ImageImageImageImage

andromeda;;

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby The Placebo » Wed Jul 06, 2011 11:24 am

-Andromeda- wrote:Okay; thanks so much. :) I was just curious because of all the sources I saw that said not to handle snakes after feeding, but then I see others that say you should use a feeding tub so they won't mistakingly strike when you put your hand in their regular enclosure.

It's a statement that is being always argued about. Some people don't use them, some people do. I use them for some of my more aggressive eaters, but it's just a matter of time before we all get bit. I've been tagged so much it doesn't even phase me anymore. XD What type of snake do you plan on getting? If you need help deciding I have a few that come to mind that are always on the good beginner's list of first choices.

I welcome all trades.

The Placebo

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby The Placebo » Wed Jul 06, 2011 11:28 am

Here is another little baby ball, he's het for pied. His name is Diesel. =P
Attachments
DSCN1915.JPG
DSCN1915.JPG (134.21 KiB) Viewed 106 times

I welcome all trades.

The Placebo

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby andromeda;; » Wed Jul 06, 2011 11:37 am

The Placebo wrote:What type of snake do you plan on getting? If you need help deciding I have a few that come to mind that are always on the good beginner's list of first choices.

Right now, I'm thinking the most about a Ball Python. A pair was brought into my Vet Science class sophomore year, and I just fell in love with them. The only thing I'm really worried about is how they can be picky eaters. :? What were the others you were thinking of, though? I'm always willing to listen to those with more experince than myself. :)

P.S. Diesel is just as cute as your other BP! :D
ImageImageImageImage

andromeda;;

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby The Placebo » Wed Jul 06, 2011 11:50 am

-Andromeda- wrote:
The Placebo wrote:What type of snake do you plan on getting? If you need help deciding I have a few that come to mind that are always on the good beginner's list of first choices.

Right now, I'm thinking the most about a Ball Python. A pair was brought into my Vet Science class sophomore year, and I just fell in love with them. The only thing I'm really worried about is how they can be picky eaters. :? What were the others you were thinking of, though? I'm always willing to listen to those with more experince than myself. :)

P.S. Diesel is just as cute as your other BP! :D

Ball Python is a good choice, however babies can be very picky eaters. But if you purchase one that has a good feeding record, the chances that it will refuse are kinda slim. Never feed live. I've had many rescues that have scars all over from being chewed on by mice or rats, it's heart breaking. If they do eat live, try to wean it to taking frozen-thawed.

The other's I would say are good starter snakes are:
~ Corn snakes: They are colorful, depending on which morph you get, but they are fast and can be nippy as babies, but they quickly grow out of it. (Not pricey, actually very cheap!)
~Hognose snakes, yes they are rear-fanged and have a mild venom, but I have never seen one that will willingly bite and chew on a person. (Can be somewhat pricey, depending on the breeder/morph.)
~Russian/Korean ratsnake: I HIGHLY recommend these guys. I have a female, and she's quite old, but she is one of the sweetest and curious snakes I have in my collection. They have an exotic look to them and are an overall awesome species. (Not pricey, not as cheap as a corn, but well worth it!)
~Spotted Python: An Aussie species that barely reach 5' in length. Very pretty, my sister has a few. They're also very cool and sweet little snakes, but they have been known to go on and off of feeding. (More pricey, depending on the breeder.)

Yeah, he's going to grow up to be a lady killer. XD.

I welcome all trades.

The Placebo

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby andromeda;; » Wed Jul 06, 2011 11:55 am

I already know that when I get a snake, I'm gonna have to feed F/T. I don't think I could handle breeding mice. It's not that I would be sickened by feeding live, its just that I don't like mice enough. :? And seeing all the images of snakes that have been chewed on and such is heartbreaking. :(

I've actually looked at corn snakes, but I've not collected as much information on them as I have on ball pythons. But I've not actually looked at the other three. I think I'll go look up some info about them. :D Thanks for the suggestions, by the way. :)
ImageImageImageImage

andromeda;;

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby The Placebo » Wed Jul 06, 2011 11:58 am

Not a problem! I enjoy helping people. :) Out of all of them, I think I'd most recommend the Russian ratsnake. They're simply fantastic and not many people even know they exist.

I welcome all trades.

The Placebo

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me