Snakes

Share your real pet photos and stories, tell us about your fav species, promote wildlife causes, or discuss animal welfare

Re: Snakes

Postby kivr & fireflii » Wed Jan 17, 2018 12:38 pm

control wrote:Ah, yes, that's very true. Didn't quite mean to make it come off as 'all big names are bad and all small names are good'. It was a quick reply while on break at work.
I more so meant the big companies that deal with a multitude of animals and imports (eg underground reptiles, if I'm remembering the name correctly) that are popular, big names even while their quality is lacking. Obviously a little research will indicate the reputation of the company pretty quickly but even so. I've always found smaller breeders more willing to communicate more with me on a personal level through messages or phone calls. And I prefer to support the smaller breeders, or big names that specialize in a species or two.

Never heard of them, but I think I can think of at least one or two others that are run like that as well. I definitely agree, though. I think a lot of the big name ones are the ones that import more because they want to find new morphs (though to be fair, their business success help them be able to afford that in the first place, so I think if smaller breeders could afford the investment lost, many would do it too).

But that's been my experience, too, so I tend to lean toward smaller breeders as well. :P That and the fact that I see more hobby breeders are local expos (where I get my snakes because I don't want to wait for shipping lol).
-fireflii
kivr centers | fireflii signs
kivr & fireflii

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby grizzly bear » Wed Jan 17, 2018 2:11 pm

thanks for all of your responses! i’m a bit hesitant to buy online for multiple reasons, but the next expo near me is in november, and i’m not sure if i want to wait that long. i’ll keep looking around for now, and if i can’t find a seller i trust, i’ll just have to wait! <3
sarah - infp - jw.org
grizzly bear

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby yellowlight » Wed Jan 17, 2018 5:15 pm

Hey all! Excited to say that I got a new snake at repticon a few weekends ago, and he is a GORGEOUS one! He is a Pastel Banana Ball Python, and he still doesn't have a name so I definitely need help with that! Please give me some suggestions!
He's not super friendly, but I'm confident I will be able to make him comfortable around humans and myself soon enough.. He's struck a few times but never to hurt, just to try and warn me off because he is scared still. He's currently in shed so both of these pictures I took are ot of him fully vibrant which is hard to believe! I'll try to get more as soon as he's done shedding

yellowlight

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby kivr & fireflii » Wed Jan 17, 2018 5:27 pm

yellowlight wrote:Hey all! Excited to say that I got a new snake at repticon a few weekends ago, and he is a GORGEOUS one! He is a Pastel Banana Ball Python, and he still doesn't have a name so I definitely need help with that! Please give me some suggestions!
He's not super friendly, but I'm confident I will be able to make him comfortable around humans and myself soon enough.. He's struck a few times but never to hurt, just to try and warn me off because he is scared still. He's currently in shed so both of these pictures I took are ot of him fully vibrant which is hard to believe! I'll try to get more as soon as he's done shedding

-snip-[/img]

He's cute! I love baby bananas. <3 He's probably not friendly because it's stressed in a new environment. I'm sure he'll become a bit more tolerant once he's settled. c: What sort of name themes are you looking for?
-fireflii
kivr & fireflii

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby yellowlight » Thu Jan 18, 2018 8:26 am

hmm not sure really, I'm open to just about anything! I've been thinking about the name milkshake because hes a banana so like a banana milkshake or something haha but my other snakes name is Spooky and my lizard is Gregory so I kinda like silly names too
yellowlight

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby kivr & fireflii » Thu Jan 18, 2018 8:30 am

Well, if you like silly names, I know a lot of people name their snakes after pasta. Fettuccine, Spaghetti, Noodle, etc. One of mine is named Soba after the soba noodles. lol If you want to go with the banana theme, you could call him Sundae or Pudding?
-fireflii
kivr & fireflii

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby emjayy » Wed Feb 07, 2018 6:13 am

Hey guys ^^
I’m teaching in a lab of 2nd year undergraduates Thursday about snakes. I know the stuff I need to know to teach but I’d love to hear some really interesting facts or funny stories anybody has about different snakes so I can make it really interesting and not bore them with too much dentition, anatomy or evolutionary things. The snakes at the lab will be false water cobra, Cali king snake, western hognose, Nicaraguan dwarf boa, corn snake and an irian jaya carpet python ^^
Soooooo in short, any weird, strange facts or funny stories ye could tell me? I’d really appreciate ^^

roses, reasons, gay best friend.
♡ art by the clockwork cat
♡ complete item collection - 29/12/19
♡ complete pet collection - 09/01/20 (lol help i'm missing recents)
emjayy

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Violently Violet » Sat Feb 10, 2018 6:23 am

Hey, so recently my garter snake died of unknown reasons, and I'm looking to maybe get another in spring.

I would feed them a combination of fish (minnows and guppies, stay away from goldfish) and worms (store-bought nightcrawlers and maybe some hand caught ones).

I have a few questions:
-I read I need to supplement an all-fish-and-worm diet because they aren't eating mice. What can I buy to supplement it?
-Will store-bought nightcrawlers (the kind used for fishing) carry parasites? Is that why my other garter died? He didn't display any symptoms..
-Would a captive bred garter be able to eat wild-caught worms? I'd think their immune system might not handle it, and then there's the risk of parasites..
-How can I avoid parasites in my worms?

Thank you!
Violently Violet

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby miss_skye » Mon Feb 12, 2018 12:32 pm

This is my ball python Winry with my black skull candle. I absolutely adore this sweet girl ^_^
miss_skye

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby The One & Only Vapor » Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:04 am

howdy yall! so i got a big question

i have a 2 year old corn snake, he's lived in a 10gal his whole life but he's outgrowing it now and ive just purchased a 40gal tank for him. however i bought it secondhand and its kind of diety and stinky lmao. it looks to be in good condition besides that but im so so worried about it having bacteria that might harm my snake. how do i fix it? how do i clean the tank properly?

i have cage cleaner, i was thinking about rinsing it out with water first, then using antibacterial soap and water, then rinsing it again, the using my cage cleaner, then rinsing it a final time. is that thorough enough? should i use a bleach solution or chlorhexidine or something?

i just am super super worried and i dont want him to get sick :(

any tips on how to move a smake between tanks, as well?? i just have so much anxiety about doing something wrong
hello there! i'm the...

...one & only vapor.

check out my art shop!! [click words or dragon]

they/them pronouns please

nontheist • pro-choice • LGBTQA+ rights • INFJ • feminist
agender • pansexual

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

The One & Only Vapor

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery