Snakes

Share your real pet photos and stories, tell us about your fav species, promote wildlife causes, or discuss animal welfare

Re: Snakes

Postby Jones. » Thu Dec 21, 2017 9:45 pm

Hi again, just a little update. Squirt is doing super well, he did his first poop yesterday and I've began handling him. He's a little nervous at first but he gets used to it quickly. Thank you all for your help!
Jones.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby yellowlight » Tue Dec 26, 2017 5:53 am

Thanks for all the replies.. I have been cleaning regularly and sifting through the aspen bedding all the time but cannot find a single poop. I've had many snakes in the past and this has never been a problem on aspen, but he is also very small so that could be the case. I will keep looking and hopefully it shows up soon!
yellowlight

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby audpaw » Sun Dec 31, 2017 6:00 am

In my opinion, snakes are extremely wonderful to have as a pet. :)
audpaw

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby grizzly bear » Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:44 am

hey there! i'm looking to purchase a western hognose and was wondering if anybody knows any reputable sites that sell them? any help would be much appreciated ;u;
grizzly bear

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My dressups
Trade with me

Re:

Postby control » Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:55 am

grizzly bear wrote:
    hey there! i'm looking to purchase a western hognose and was wondering if anybody knows any reputable sites that sell them? any help would be much appreciated ;u;

I suggest finding a private breeder instead of some big name site or breeder. Usually you can find smaller private bredeers through Facebook or local expos since this is usually where they post their pages/sites. You'll typically get a better quality animal with more detailed records and better packagin that way. If you use Facebook I suggest joining hognose centric groups to get in contact with breeders, and there is a reptile FBI group where you can search a breeders name to find reviews of people
control

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby winter & fireflii » Wed Jan 17, 2018 12:15 pm

Nothing wrong with big name breeders. You can still get a quality animal from a big name breeder/site with good packaging and detailed records. That has nothing to do with being a popular/well known/big name breeder. Just the same, you can find small hobby breeders that aren't very knowledgeable about a high quality vs poor quality, aren't as experienced with what packaging works best, don't keep good records, etc. While there are a few big name breeders that are known to be bad, I would say more people get scammed by or have bad experiences with the small, hobby "breeders."

I think it all really comes down to doing your research and knowing what you want out of your snake (ex. a pet? a future breeder?). No matter if you go big breeder or small hobby, just do your research. Look up reviews on them. See if anyone had extra good/bad experience about them. These are some feedback places I like to check when I don't recognize a breeder's name:

- Board of Inquiry at faunaclassifieds (requires account, but highly recommended)
- "FBI - Feedback and Inquiries for Reptiles" group on Facebook
- "good guy/bad guy exotic reviews" group on Facebook
- "herpetoculture feedback and inquiry" group on Facebook
- the reviews on a breeder's facebook business page
- ask around on facebook groups/forums dedicated or geared toward the snake species of your interest

But there can be good big name breeders (ex. for ball pythons, J. Kobylka) and bad big name breeders (ex. BHB... for real, stay away from him), and there can be good small hobby breeders and many, many bad ones. Research is key.
-fireflii
winter centers | fireflii signs
winter & fireflii

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby control » Wed Jan 17, 2018 12:31 pm

Ah, yes, that's very true. Didn't quite mean to make it come off as 'all big names are bad and all small names are good'. It was a quick reply while on break at work.
I more so meant the big companies that deal with a multitude of animals and imports (eg underground reptiles, if I'm remembering the name correctly) that are popular, big names even while their quality is lacking. Obviously a little research will indicate the reputation of the company pretty quickly but even so. I've always found smaller breeders more willing to communicate more with me on a personal level through messages or phone calls. And I prefer to support the smaller breeders, or big names that specialize in a species or two.
control

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Mortveil » Wed Jan 17, 2018 12:32 pm

@grizzly bear

Also I know you said you're looking for an online seller, but if you can get to an expo then I highly recommend it. You don't have to pay delivery costs and you get to see the animal in person, not just an image. You can also ask the breeder questions where they don't have the time to fully plan for answers (ie emails). There are always stalls selling western hognoses, with some dedicated to just them. I live in England so it is a bit of a pain getting to the reptile shows (we have only one really big one), but if you're living in America I know there are many available and much larger. You can also hold upon request and check for parasites such as mites.

I got my axanthic het toffeebelly western hognose there and he's perfect <3
Last edited by Mortveil on Wed Jan 17, 2018 12:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mortveil

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby winter & fireflii » Wed Jan 17, 2018 12:38 pm

control wrote:Ah, yes, that's very true. Didn't quite mean to make it come off as 'all big names are bad and all small names are good'. It was a quick reply while on break at work.
I more so meant the big companies that deal with a multitude of animals and imports (eg underground reptiles, if I'm remembering the name correctly) that are popular, big names even while their quality is lacking. Obviously a little research will indicate the reputation of the company pretty quickly but even so. I've always found smaller breeders more willing to communicate more with me on a personal level through messages or phone calls. And I prefer to support the smaller breeders, or big names that specialize in a species or two.

Never heard of them, but I think I can think of at least one or two others that are run like that as well. I definitely agree, though. I think a lot of the big name ones are the ones that import more because they want to find new morphs (though to be fair, their business success help them be able to afford that in the first place, so I think if smaller breeders could afford the investment lost, many would do it too).

But that's been my experience, too, so I tend to lean toward smaller breeders as well. :P That and the fact that I see more hobby breeders are local expos (where I get my snakes because I don't want to wait for shipping lol).
-fireflii
winter centers | fireflii signs
winter & fireflii

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby grizzly bear » Wed Jan 17, 2018 2:11 pm

thanks for all of your responses! i’m a bit hesitant to buy online for multiple reasons, but the next expo near me is in november, and i’m not sure if i want to wait that long. i’ll keep looking around for now, and if i can’t find a seller i trust, i’ll just have to wait! <3
grizzly bear

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My dressups
Trade with me

Return to Animal Chatter