LOCK? DELETE? OLD Rabbit Owners- NEW LINK INSIDE

Share your real pet photos and stories, tell us about your fav species, promote wildlife causes, or discuss animal welfare

Re: Rabbit Owner Chat!

Postby BlueHeart ❤ » Thu Feb 14, 2013 9:55 am

Onew~ wrote:
Xanga wrote:
Onew~ wrote:Are you guys talking about the "sniffles" or a normal cold?

A normal cold, sniffles does go away. You can as I said before try to cure a cold, but the sickness with never leave the rabbits system.

Hmm, really ? I read in a book a while back about sniffles being incurable. Then again, it was written in the mid '90s, hehe. ouo

"Snuffles" is incurable in many cases, very hard to full get rid of. (not impossible, but rare). It usually ends up being chronic. My little guy caught it from a show once (was SUPER mad about it too since all rabbits are supposed to be healthy before showing. URG! Some people....) and he has never gotten over it. That was over 7 years ago now and he still gets mild flare up. (he will be 9 in april)
From any vets I've talked to it is almost never fully curable. It can sit dormant in their system for years and years without any symptoms but if the rabbit gets stressed it "springs" into action. So a rabbit may look normal and healthy, but it can still carry/have the virus.

You can give them antibiotics to "calm" down the symptoms and make them bearable and livable but it will not cure the problem completely in most cases. These antibiotics are also very expensive (especially if you have to keep buying them in severe cases...) and many rabbit owners/breeders just aren't willing to fork out money for something that may, or may not fix the problem. It seems unfair, and cruel in some peoples eyes but sometimes "culling" a rabbit is in the best interest of the owner/ and or other rabbits that they may have.
This bacteria can spread like wild fire to other rabbits (and even some other animals) so it's NOT something you want to keep around.

I keep my guy even though he has it simply because he is only a pet now (I do not breed or show anymore, he is my only rabbit). His symptoms are mild and he lives just fine with it. Plus I also have the finances to get medication if needed when his flareups do get bad.
━━━━━━━━━━━━
𝕁𝕖𝕤𝕤 ∾ 𝕒𝕣𝕥 𝕙𝕠𝕓𝕓𝕪𝕚𝕤𝕥/𝕨𝕣𝕚𝕥𝕖𝕣
formally known as MoggyWolf

active ∾ PM's always welcome

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Characters Art Shop
━━━━━━━━━━━━
Sig art by: maid.
BlueHeart ❤

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Onew~ » Sat Feb 16, 2013 8:21 pm

So, because Winter has passed away, my dad brought up the subject of getting another rabbit someday. We got Winter from a breeder who breeds showing rabbits. I have a question for you guys and would like your opinions. My dad would like to get another rabbit from the breeder, but there is a rabbit rescue nearby, only about an hour away where my mom works.

This rescue seems to take very good care of their rabbits. They have very good housing and housing requirements. All of their rabbits(except for one because he has a problem with his teeth so he can only eat pellets) get fresh veggies, pellets and proper hay. According to their website, they seem to be very well taken care of and have a very descriptive adoption form so it's obvious they care about where their rabbits are going to. They also have bonded pairs for adoption, as well. Most of their rabbits say "indoor homes ONLY" if not all.

However, my dad seems to think otherwise. He says that if I adopted from a rescue, there's a big risk of the rabbit having health problems and there is no guarantee? He also said that the rabbits can be very destructive and wild because they were, well, obviously rescued. But this seems not to be the case! They have descriptions of their rabbits, and many of them have very suitable personalities. He says that he thinks it'd be horrible if I got a rabbit from the rescue/shelter and fell in love with it, but then it could have a disease and die? I don't know why he thinks this. Whats your opinion? Do you think what he says is even true? D:
Onew~

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Snowytoshi » Sun Feb 17, 2013 2:40 am

Onew~ wrote:So, because Winter has passed away, my dad brought up the subject of getting another rabbit someday. We got Winter from a breeder who breeds showing rabbits. I have a question for you guys and would like your opinions. My dad would like to get another rabbit from the breeder, but there is a rabbit rescue nearby, only about an hour away where my mom works.

This rescue seems to take very good care of their rabbits. They have very good housing and housing requirements. All of their rabbits(except for one because he has a problem with his teeth so he can only eat pellets) get fresh veggies, pellets and proper hay. According to their website, they seem to be very well taken care of and have a very descriptive adoption form so it's obvious they care about where their rabbits are going to. They also have bonded pairs for adoption, as well. Most of their rabbits say "indoor homes ONLY" if not all.

However, my dad seems to think otherwise. He says that if I adopted from a rescue, there's a big risk of the rabbit having health problems and there is no guarantee? He also said that the rabbits can be very destructive and wild because they were, well, obviously rescued. But this seems not to be the case! They have descriptions of their rabbits, and many of them have very suitable personalities. He says that he thinks it'd be horrible if I got a rabbit from the rescue/shelter and fell in love with it, but then it could have a disease and die? I don't know why he thinks this. Whats your opinion? Do you think what he says is even true? D:

As someone who has only ever had rabbits from shelters, this is competely untrue. Rabbits in shelters do not just come from abusive homes, they can also be from people who can't take care of their rabbit anymore, the children lost interest, etc. Many rabbits are brought in after they hit puberty and aren't cute baby bunnies anymore. Even my two rabbits that came from abusive homes love to be cuddled and are incredibly sweet. As for the health concerns, the shelter will be able to give you a medical history of the rabbit. I know many people with rescue rabbits that are eight years and older :thumbup:
Snowytoshi

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Barron » Sun Feb 17, 2013 2:57 am

Onew~ wrote:So, because Winter has passed away, my dad brought up the subject of getting another rabbit someday. We got Winter from a breeder who breeds showing rabbits. I have a question for you guys and would like your opinions. My dad would like to get another rabbit from the breeder, but there is a rabbit rescue nearby, only about an hour away where my mom works.

I'm a Holland Lop Breeder, but I would rather see someone adopt from a shetlher before buying one of my rabbits. Your dad is kind of right about there being a greater risk of a rescue rabbit being sick, but not always. I only say that because there are so many rabbits in shelthers, and you don't know what the other ones have. You know like sickness that can spread to the other rabbits in the shelther. Yes, they may also be feral and not like humans for a very long time, sometimes ever. Not always though, some rabbits were pets and love humans. Most rescues are very honest though, and will tell you if its a feral rabbit or not. To a point I think your dad is correct, but then again a rescued rabbit could become your next forever friend. It comes down to what you would like to do. If you trust the breeder your dad would like you to get a rabbit from, maybe you should check into getting a rabbit from them. If your looking to raise a younger rabbit and would like to know for sure that its health and has a good personality, maybe you sure see what they have for sale. Not all breeders are trust worthy though, and some rabbits may be sick. I would say look into a shelther rabbit first than if you don't find the right one for you, look for a rabbit breeder. Good Luck!! I hope you find your next forever friend XD

To me, horses and freedom are synonymous.

Barron 1986~2016
Barron

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Cuckoo » Sun Feb 17, 2013 5:14 am

Most shelters around where I live let you come in and visit the animal before you make any decision to adopt it. Why don’t you make a day for you and your dad to visit the shelter so that you can see for yourselves the condition and personalities of the rabbits, and then you could pick a rabbit that you feel would be good for you without having to take a written descriptions word for it. Maybe then this way your dad would feel better about getting one from a shelter, and you would see an adult rabbit that already has its own personality and temperament. And if you can't find a rabbit you like at the shelter, you can always go to the breeder afterwards. I think if you took your dad to the shelter with you, and let him see that the rabbits are health and taken care of, he might change his mind. My mother had the same idea about shelter animals when we were going to get a dog. She said we would not get one from a shelter because if they were in a shelter there was something wrong with them. I convinced her to visit the shelter though, and she fell in love with a hound dog and we brought her home with us the same day. Now she swears up and down the shelter is the way to go, because she says the animal seems to know you rescued them, and it gives you a good feeling to know they have a better life with you. My dog came from an extremely abusive home, where she was beaten and neglected. She came to us terrified of men, but after just over a month you can’t tell she was ever afraid of anyone, and she is as playful and loving as ever. I think the same could go for rabbits as well; they just need a chance and a good home where they feel safe. As for disease, I don't think a respectable shelter would give you a rabbit that had health problems without telling you. And I don’t see much of a difference between disease spreading around a breeders stock and disease in a shelter. Both can happen fairly easily, in my opinion. My advice would be to visit the shelter and talk to the people who are around the rabbits every day. Ask them about personalities, health issues and histories, and if they seem willing to talk to you and honest, and even better if they have records, then I would adopt from the shelter.
James T. Kirk wrote:________________________________________
sᴘᴀᴄᴇ: ᴛʜᴇ ғɪɴᴀʟ ғʀᴏɴᴛɪᴇʀ.
ᴛʜᴇsᴇ ᴀʀᴇ ᴛʜᴇ ᴠᴏʏᴀɢᴇs ᴏғ ᴛʜᴇ sᴛᴀʀsʜɪᴘ ᴇɴᴛᴇʀᴘʀɪsᴇ.
ɪᴛs ғɪᴠᴇ─ʏᴇᴀʀ ᴍɪssɪᴏɴ: ᴛᴏ ᴇxᴘʟᴏʀᴇ sᴛʀᴀɴɢᴇ ɴᴇω ωᴏʀʟᴅs; ᴛᴏ sᴇᴇᴋ ᴏᴜᴛ
ɴᴇω ʟɪғᴇ ᴀɴᴅ ɴᴇω ᴄɪᴠɪʟɪsᴀᴛɪᴏɴs; ᴛᴏ ʙᴏʟᴅʟʏ ɢᴏ
ωʜᴇʀᴇ ɴᴏ ᴍᴀɴ ʜᴀs ɢᴏɴᴇ ʙᴇғᴏʀᴇ...

Cuckoo

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Raging Kittens » Sun Feb 17, 2013 6:23 am

I have a fluffeh bunneh named Potato and she likes floooowwweeeerrrs
I'm in London/England and I don't have much time to go on my computer so please don't kick me out of any rps!!!
Image Why can't I even dream?..ImageImage[/url]
Raging Kittens

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Rosalind » Sun Feb 17, 2013 7:34 am

I completely agree with glittermousebb! I rescued my rabbit after he was abandoned at a friend's house (turned completely loose! o.o) and he was really blossomed into a loving little bunny. c;

Hi there, I'm Rosalind!
I used to be a General Helper
so if you are looking for any help send in a help ticket. CS's amazing team will help you!
I'm not very active anymore, although I occasionally pop on so replies to PMs and trades could be slow.

[Character Thread] [Fursona Thread]

ImageImageImageImageImage
Rosalind

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Onew~ » Sun Feb 17, 2013 7:38 am

Thank you so much for the answers and suggestions. I think we will definitely visit before adopting and everyhing, see the rabbits in the shelter, and decide on where we will get them. We're planning about it around May. Again, thanks to all. c:
Onew~

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Rosalind » Sun Feb 17, 2013 7:40 am

Best wishes! Be sure to let us know how it goes! C:

Hi there, I'm Rosalind!
I used to be a General Helper
so if you are looking for any help send in a help ticket. CS's amazing team will help you!
I'm not very active anymore, although I occasionally pop on so replies to PMs and trades could be slow.

[Character Thread] [Fursona Thread]

ImageImageImageImageImage
Rosalind

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Kickin' up dirt » Sun Feb 17, 2013 10:34 am

Went to a rabbit show and got a free guinea pig and bought a proven mother, and pedigreed doe for only $25! She almost a year and is a black pointer white.
Kickin' up dirt

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me