Dog Owner Chat V. 5

Share your real pet photos and stories, tell us about your fav species, promote wildlife causes, or discuss animal welfare

Re: Dog Owner Chat V. 5

Postby BananaBean » Fri Jan 19, 2018 11:59 am

im so sad i believe we may have to put my oldest dog cinnamon down:( i cant imagine living without him, but i cant stand looking at him while he is in so much pain, its the only humane thing to do.
BananaBean

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Luzien » Fri Jan 19, 2018 12:32 pm

@
Naeco wrote:Anyone ever try bikejoring with their dog/s? And not like run alongside the bike, actually pulling. Skai absolutely loves it. I tried it before the snow and she is amazing besides the fact that when she sees dogs she needs to say hi. Any tips for that?

I would be on the bike, by myself, so I cannot correct her or treat her. I always have a line hooked to her collar so I was thinking maybe verbal correction then prong correction? It worked when I trained her to walk properly.

first of...bikjoring is not simply pulling....you have to do most of the work, the dog will only help
--> how old is the dog? and is he cleared healthy enough by your vet for this :?:

then, never ever use a collar (and never ever a prong :shock: ....it is not right...or do you want to kill the dog?) but the right bikjoring-skijoring harness and leash and bikeattachment.with Flex part in leash
also...you Need to Train dog from the ground till they walk-stop-turn on your given comand without stop...asap.
no ever saying hi to other Dogs People or to pee, only when you say so!!!!! and you Need to let the dog stop now and then, to go potty or take a breath for some mins...the health of the dog goes over everything..

Train first Walking at you side till they turn left when you say left or right when you say right...or whistle or so...then let the dog walk in front of you and Train again, go over to running Walking ...when this works let them walk at you bike, next to you then in front of you and the bike and go over to driving the bike from slow to working travel trotting...they trot not go full run...the dog and you need to find the right a working gait on the bike for long runs you do in bikjoring, not the short fast run some do with there dog on the leash running full Speed...you can an most often will hurt the dog or work it in the ground...
so go slow, train up to the point you want to go...so no 30min run a first day, when dog is not fit and trained, start with 5min...
with slow every day training but one day where they have free day, each week...you will get the dog to work well and not pull to the side or stop...they sometimes will react bether than you with time,.....it can kill you and your dog or hurt you badly when you do something wrong....

i can look if i find the site with easy training and what harness and shockabsorbing long pulling leash to use....and such

@ Imzadi83
yes try around a bit, i find it fun to see what works :D
hope it does help^^
silky hair is always a bit difficult :D but still cute and it is fun to try out things and see if they work for this hair or dog^^
one needs to try out differet things..and when one looks into things for human, cat or horses...even Show cow :lol: ...i mean i used hair band for chilren with my dog..we got some show hair clips with a Little bow on it on a dog show but i also did see some nice one on a horse show :lol: and with kids hair things you also can get lucky, when you are careful you can give it back after trying it out when it does not work...sometimes
and it helps to fluff up the top hair a bit as sometimes hair band-bow or such hold bether...it is also interesting that sometimes a Clip or bow holds when a rubber band is under it...or what i did see at a Show they did sew he bow into the top hair like one does with horse mane, that i find a lot of work for each day..but seems to work
try to go on ground that is not to soft or hard, go when weather is cool...but not extrem cold as this too can be bd for untrained dog...
Last edited by Luzien on Fri Jan 19, 2018 12:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Please klick them or they will die°°!!!
http://dragcave.net/user/Miriya I really search for the 2013 SUMMER EVENT missed pets
- the store pets and pets from wl, I search for german shepherds and rainbow doted dogs of '09--other dream pets ) RPG Costumes -Mage - Necromancer--RPG Flags and Banner-sun- moon...^//^
search this items:
Image-Image--Image-Image-Image
Luzien

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby yetzali » Fri Jan 19, 2018 12:39 pm

x
      @naeco i've never tried it! though i've always thought that it looks fun, so maybe one day.

are you mainly using a harness made for joring & have a different line attached to a collar as well or? if you don't have one, i'd recommend it. it's safer not to use a collar for any type of joring, because they're pulling your entire weight + a bike, which will put strain on their neck, and they'll quickly injure themselves. a harness made for it allows her to use her entire body weight for pulling, instead of her neck, and she'll be more comfy + safe.
      you can find lots online! like this or this

it's definitely best to leave out the prong while you're on a bike, because accidents can happen, and obviously it's good to try and keep as safe as possible. the only tip i really have would be strengthening/working on leave it.

@lmarani i'm really sorry. :c
xImage
sarah
infj
she/they
pm me for dog pictures
yetzali

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby orpheus. » Fri Jan 19, 2018 1:05 pm

Honestly I'm so sick of people calling fat dogs cute or making excuses not to keep them fit, I was watching a top 100 breeds tv show yesterday and half of the dogs were obese and it's sickening. If you can't keep your dog fit then don't get them in the first place, they deserve better than that.

Obviously health problems are different but the amount of fat Labradors I've seen in my tiny town alone is really sad. I'm not the most active person and even I can manage to keep Lyra fit and muscular, it's not that difficult.
╔═════════════════════╗

𝑊𝐸'𝐿𝐿 𝑁𝐸𝑉𝐸𝑅 𝐺𝐸𝑇 𝑇𝑂 𝐻𝐸𝐴𝑉𝐸𝑁 𝑂𝑁 𝐴 𝑁𝐼𝐺𝐻𝑇 𝐿𝐼𝐾𝐸 𝑇𝐻𝐼𝑆.

those nights when your friends are gone,
when you're holding on for someone to leave with

those nights when you crave someone
to be there at dawn, to wake with, 'cause aren't we all just
looking for a little bit of hope these days?

oekaki . art insta . @danti#6119 .

╚═════════════════════╝
orpheus.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby taurus ; » Fri Jan 19, 2018 1:41 pm

wombat wrote:
    Honestly I'm so sick of people calling fat dogs cute or making excuses not to keep them fit, I was watching a top 100 breeds tv show yesterday and half of the dogs were obese and it's sickening. If you can't keep your dog fit then don't get them in the first place, they deserve better than that.

Obviously health problems are different but the amount of fat Labradors I've seen in my tiny town alone is really sad. I'm not the most active person and even I can manage to keep Lyra fit and muscular, it's not that difficult.

Yup, it's disgusting. Fat dogs aren't cute, pudgy, chubby, or adorable; they're just sad because their life is being shortened by negligent owners. Abuse comes in many forms, someone who starves their dog is just as bad as the one who overfeeds.
Also a bunch of breeds like labs and goldens are shown not even at pet weight, mostly overweight and judges say nothing.

Join a fit dog FB group, tons of good pet weight and conditioned labs. Just the other day I saw a ripped frenchie AND a bulldog, can you imagine my surprise?
☆ kenya|she/her|istj|adult player
(simply vibing, that's it <3)
taurus ;

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Imzadi83 » Fri Jan 19, 2018 4:57 pm

halogen. wrote:
wombat wrote:

Yup, it's disgusting. Fat dogs aren't cute, pudgy, chubby, or adorable; they're just sad because their life is being shortened by negligent owners. Abuse comes in many forms, someone who starves their dog is just as bad as the one who overfeeds.
Also a bunch of breeds like labs and goldens are shown not even at pet weight, mostly overweight and judges say nothing.

Join a fit dog FB group, tons of good pet weight and conditioned labs. Just the other day I saw a ripped frenchie AND a bulldog, can you imagine my surprise?

I know I'm shocked every time I see a pug that's not obese.
Looking for a real life pet? http://www.petfinder.com Adopt a homeless Pet!
Give Food To Homeless Pets FREE & Freekibble
Imzadi83

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Taiger Lilly » Fri Jan 19, 2018 9:49 pm

I mean, in the case of *some* pugs, they may actually have the excuse that exercise can kill their dog.
Doesn't really excuse overfeeding though.
Taiger Lilly

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby ferncat » Fri Jan 19, 2018 10:59 pm

hello everyone~ oof, this is my first time posting on this forum because I only got a dog about 8 months ago, a whippet mix (rescue dog, so I don't really know anything other than whippet). he's 11 months old and his name is sammi

but also yeah i agree with you guys - fat dogs aren't cute, it's kinda sad to see them so often.
ferncat

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Keriae » Fri Jan 19, 2018 11:20 pm

Fat dogs are the bane of my life! I'm so glad Mary is a fit weight now! I'll have to get a picture of her soon C:
Keriae

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Mintu1 » Sat Jan 20, 2018 4:02 am

I agree there is no excuse for having a fat dog. No it isn't the dog that is at fault it is the owner that is far too lazy to exercise their dog. For dogs with health/breathing issues there are plenty of "calm" exercises you can do, it doesn't have to be running. For example you could use a balance ball and let the dog stand on it. That uses up alot of muscles in the dogs body and is one type of exersice. You just have to be sure to help and support the dog so it will be a pleasant experience.

Today Chibi, a good friend of mine and I went on a mountain trail with a beautiful lookout area at the top. There were so many stairs, and I had fear of slippimg with each step. Once we reached the top my legs were honestly giving up on life. But Chibi enjoyed it and didn't show any signs of being tired, instead she wanted to play and was being her happy usual self. I'll definitley have to take her there again as she really enjoyed it. I could use the training too haha.

Seeing as I rarley post images on here I'll share some from today.

Slowly getting back into CS after being on a 2 year hiatus, nice to meet you all again!
Mintu1

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me