Dog Owner Chat V. 5

Share your real pet photos and stories, tell us about your fav species, promote wildlife causes, or discuss animal welfare

Re: Dog Owner Chat V. 5

Postby RattyRat » Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:02 am

Slushy. wrote:Can bananas be bad for dogs?

Potentially, the sugar levels in bananas are high, but not dangerous. They're okay to feed your dog occasionally, but I wouldn't make them apart of your dog's every day diet. However over all, they're safe.
    Yeah, I'm one of those dudes who lets trades rot

IM ALSO A MASSIVE HOARDER of like everything because I have anxiety

Treats Given: 155

RattyRat

My pets
    My items
    My wishlist
    My gallery
    My scenes
    My dressups
    Trade with me

Postby cornspurrd. » Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:06 am

I Need a trainer for good manners in general. A trainer that can help with dog reactivity, And a trainer that can train my dog to listen to recall commands. I've looked into a few trainers. I don't want somebody to be Kicking my dog in order to get him to listen, But i don't mind E-collars and Other training tools of that sort. And positive training did not work with him.. He is super stubborn.

Does anybody have any experience with sit means sit? My dad had them come out and work with our apbt once, I was young and didn't know much at the time so i couldn't say if their methods where good or not. I do know that they use vibration/E-collars.
    Smile and wave...
    cornspurrd.

My pets
    My items
    My wishlist
    My gallery
    My scenes
    My dressups
    Trade with me

Postby Imzadi83 » Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:14 am

Harlow. wrote:I Need a trainer for good manners in general. A trainer that can help with dog reactivity, And a trainer that can train my dog to listen to recall commands. I've looked into a few trainers. I don't want somebody to be Kicking my dog in order to get him to listen, But i don't mind E-collars and Other training tools of that sort. And positive training did not work with him.. He is super stubborn.

Does anybody have any experience with sit means sit? My dad had them come out and work with our apbt once, I was young and didn't know much at the time so i couldn't say if their methods where good or not. I do know that they use vibration/E-collars.

How do you know that positive training won't work if you've never worked with a professional before? Using positive punishment with reactivity is very dangerous and can turn it into aggression.

Sit means Sit is a chain operation, so you have to judge the individual branch and specific trainer(s) you'd be working with.
    Looking for a real life pet? http://www.petfinder.com Adopt a homeless Pet!
    Give Food To Homeless Pets FREE & Freekibble
    Imzadi83

My pets
    My items
    My wishlist
    My gallery
    My scenes
    My dressups
    Trade with me

Postby taurus ; » Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:16 am

Harlow. wrote:I Need a trainer for good manners in general. A trainer that can help with dog reactivity, And a trainer that can train my dog to listen to recall commands. I've looked into a few trainers. I don't want somebody to be Kicking my dog in order to get him to listen, But i don't mind E-collars and Other training tools of that sort. And positive training did not work with him.. He is super stubborn.

A balanced trainer sounds right for your dog. There are consequences for wrong behaviors(flick on prong, stimulation via e collar) and also rewards for good behaviors. It’s not all bad like people try to make balanced training seem. It’s called balanced training for a reason.
    ☆ kenya|she/her|istj|adult player
    (simply vibing, that's it <3)
    taurus ;

My pets
    My items
    My wishlist
    My gallery
    My scenes
    My dressups
    Trade with me

Postby Imzadi83 » Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:30 am

halogen. wrote:
    Harlow. wrote:How do you pick
    out a dog trainer? what do you
    look for and stuff like that??

Find a trainer that uses methods that work for your dog. I prefer balanced training. Positive only training is proven to not work for a majority of dogs, it’s basically shoving treats down the dogs throat when it just decides it wants to listen to you. So you’ll probably end up with a dog that ignores you when it wants, which is not an option for a stubborn breed and more importantly, recall and off leash.

Positive reinforcement works for most dogs when done correctly (no training done incorrectly is going to work). It has been proven to be a successful and better method of training dogs as well as a variety of other animals for decades. Though of course the skill of the individual trainer has to be taken into account.

It is certainly not shoving dogs down the dog's throat when it wants to listen to you. You need to proof for distractions and put rewards on a variable reinforcement schedule as well as use a variety of life rewards. Done correctly you will not have a dog that "ignores you when it wants". Where as even done correctly using positive punishment can harm the dog and make it more difficult to handle.

Although some breeds may seem difficult to train based on what they were bred to do all dog breeds (and every other animal) can and are successfully trained with positive reinforcement. They have been trained for obedience, herding, police work, service dogs, etc.

Many trainers started of as punishment based before moving to balanced then to positive only because they have seen that punishment is not necessary to training.
    Imzadi83

My pets
    My items
    My wishlist
    My gallery
    My scenes
    My dressups
    Trade with me

Postby Keriae » Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:32 am

appology wrote:
    Keriae wrote:
    appology wrote:Most of the time when people feed raw they don't do it right.
    Muscle meat, often still on the bone.
    Bones, either whole or ground.
    Organ meats such as livers and kidneys.
    Raw eggs.
    Vegetables like broccoli, spinach, and celery.
    Apples or other fruit.
    Some dairy, such as yogurt.
    Is some things that pets.webmd says a dogs diet should typically consist of (raw).

If raw makes up more than 20% of the diet, it should be balanced. For PMR, this means a 2-2.5% of body weight is fed, with 80% of this being muscle meat (generally any whole cuts of meat you could get from the store) with 10% bone and 10% organ. Half of this should be liver, and the other half organs such as kidney, spleen, pancreas and brain. Organs such as heart are fed as muscle meat, though things such as intestine often aren’t fed as they lack nutrients.
      Raw eggs, steamed/cooked vegetables and fruit, kefir, coconut oil and apple cider vinegar are optional, but do have benefits. Fish oil should be fed, as well as a vitamin E supplement, as the diet tends to lack in this, though it can be skipped if over 20% of the total diet if fresh fish low in mercury (mackerel, trout, sprays and sardines).

If anyone is interested in feeding raw, you should definitely do heavy research and, if you can, join groups on social media, such as the Raw Feeding Community - which I believe has a blog/website.

Never said as personal knowledge so I don't know why you replied :l This is simply what the source stated

I know c: just thought it was best expanded in lest someone takes just adding whatever to their dog’s meals and making the diet unbalanced.
    Keriae

My pets
    My items
    My wishlist
    My gallery
    My scenes
    My dressups
    Trade with me

Postby taurus ; » Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:35 am

Riiight...so can you show me a video of a dog with perfect distance recall with high distractions...trained with only positive methods?

I’ll wait.
    ☆ kenya|she/her|istj|adult player
    (simply vibing, that's it <3)
    taurus ;

My pets
    My items
    My wishlist
    My gallery
    My scenes
    My dressups
    Trade with me

Postby Imzadi83 » Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:59 am

halogen. wrote:Riiight...so can you show me a video of a dog with perfect distance recall with high distractions...trained with only positive methods?

I’ll wait.

Ummm, have you left your house?

No, I don't have a specific video atm. That doesn't make me wrong. Do you think all the handlers of herding dogs, military dogs, police dogs, search and rescue dogs, service dogs, hunting dogs are lying? All the competitors and winners of competitions at Crufts? What's the reasoning behind it? To make balanced trainers look bad? LOL

I'm not saying balanced training can't work. But so can positive only based training. Saying it can't is just factually incorrect.
    Imzadi83

My pets
    My items
    My wishlist
    My gallery
    My scenes
    My dressups
    Trade with me

Postby Cardinal » Mon Feb 19, 2018 11:48 am

halogen. wrote:Riiight...so can you show me a video of a dog with perfect distance recall with high distractions...trained with only positive methods?

I’ll wait.

https://youtu.be/uFDV9NOp0oY Google and youtube are magical things.

Ive met and known multiple dogs of various breeds trained with only positive methods that are trained and titled in various things. :?

Took me a sec to track down. Roughly a 1/2 mile recall from a personal friend and her aussie Cowboy. https://youtu.be/xAXgJrN43so She trained it positively.
    Honey, it's in the stars
    And you're my everything from here to Mars
    And every word I say I truly mean
    Dear darling, I hope I'm being clear
    'Cause there's no one like you on earth
    That can be my universe

Cardinal

My pets
    My items
    My wishlist
    My gallery
    My scenes
    My dressups
    Trade with me

Postby BudgieLover5000 » Mon Feb 19, 2018 12:12 pm

Hi guys, I have a question that might be a little weird

How do you know if an intact male's bladder is empty if they mark outside?
    Thank you!
    BudgieLover5000

My pets
    My items
    My wishlist
    My gallery
    My scenes
    My dressups
    Trade with me